Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• MystreMystre Member Posts: 78
    Hello @Gusinda and @Isaya
    I'm issuing a new problem... the game is working fine so far but I'm almost at the end and I cant go further..
    The game is crashing when a "meteorit" (fire cannonball I think) fall on the screen. First time was on the coalition camp when it's being attacked. I manage to skip this fall by running very quickly to the south to launch the small cinematic quickly enough so the first meteorit doesnt fall.
    But now, i need to go to dragon spear Castle. When I go there, chapter 11 start, a cinematic is launch... in which a meteorit fall... and crash the game.. so absolutely no way to continue ... so close to the end!!!! ????? any idea to pass through this?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Mystre, would you be able to upload the saved game? Might be able to get past the clip on PC and reupload. Did you mod your game as per the WeiDU.log on the previous page or add/remove anything?

Gus
    Edit : Finally i made it. Just before the meteor arrived I click on the return button of my phone (galaxy s7 edge). And it cut the cinematic !!! I can finish it now! I hope^^
    Gusinda
    Oh sorry @Gusinda,
    Didn't saw your message in time... i've just finish the game.. so no more save game just before it crash.. :-(
    Hello @Isaya,
    Maybe you can help me! BGEE and SOD are finished. Next step, BG2EE! I want to go back in french for this one now. (I don't care about the voices, just the text).
    I follow a simple method (to copy a zipfile on the file directory on my mobile). The text in french works fine.. but when i want to mod, the french language is not mentionned for the WEIDU game language... so there will be a incompatibility I guess... do you have any clue on how to proceed to make a good (big) installation?

I'll ne ont holydays out of my home for 3 weeks.. so I won't be able to try anything before then..

Thanks! :-)
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Hello @Mystre,
    If you want to use mods, simply ignore the pre-made zip file and install the translation mod as the very first mod in your setup.
    Then install whatever mods you like and make the zip file(s) as you're used to in order to transfer the data to Android.
    Creating a "good" installation is up to you. ;)
    In my experience, since French is not part of the original obb file, you don't even need to follow the specific obb patching method Gusinda described. You can apply the usual method of making zip files (one uncompressed and centralfixed for lang/fr_FR and probably music, one compressed for override, just for transfer).
    Hi All, just a note for those having difficulty accessing the console in Android using a keyboard (of any sorts). There is now a means to access the console using touch through the UI...

Gus
    Ok Thanks @Isaya! :-)
    What about the language of installation for the first mod. I must put english? Since french is not proposed?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Mystre As stated in the readme and in principe in the message displayed with WeiDU, you can choose whichever you want, the translation mod will use english dialog.tlk as a base and will enforce the use of french for texts afterwards.
    bg2eetrans must be first in your installation order.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Hi, I've been trying to get some mods going on the latest version of BG2 with no success. I have replaced the dialog file with a notepad file so the patch archive is now the exact same size in bytes as the original obb + centralfixed it. However... the app still keeps trying to download a new file when it starts. Any suggestions on what I may have missed?
    Hi @Mantis37, I haven't tried using a notepad file to fill the gap, but I suspect it is the cause of the problem. It would be very difficult to get the exact filesize (down to the byte) using notepad.

In my more recent attempts to make the game ignore the dialog.tlk (without having to create the empty file) in the .obb, all I did was rename the dialog.tlk to dialog.000 (without unpacking the .obb). I use WinRAR and renamed the .obb to .zip to open. Doing this kept the same file size and index size. Once I did that, I checked the file size, ran centralfix, rechecked the file size (to make sure it hadn't changed), renamed it back to .obb and it all worked...

BTW, dialog.tl or dialog.0 didn't work, it had to have a three letter extension (to keep the index happy) with dialog.klt working. I preferred .000 as I then knew that it was change without confusion at a glance.

I was also able to make the change directly on the mobile device using WinRAR for Android. Rename the .obb to .zip, open using WinRAR, change the name to dialog.000, rename back to .obb and game started without problems using a modfile The was no need to use centralfix here (but there was for the PC attempt).

Good luck with the try
    Gus
    Caszidy
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Sorry, I misspoke about notepad, I used the msutil command window to create an empty file of exactly the size required but that didn't work. I then tried simply renaming the file + centralfixing it but the tablet didn't recognise the renamed .obb archive as being an archive and continued trying to download. Finally I realised that I'd not enabled seeing all filename extensions and was able to remove an unneeded .zip from the archive name so the tablet recognised what was happening. It works! So far I have... with my usual lack of caution... installed a number of mods without any problems so far. Thank you for your assistance again.
    Gusinda
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    edited November 2018
    Gusinda said:

Hi @Mystre, just for info... and for others looking to mod SOD.

I purchased SOD in from the latest Google Play offer today and modded it. I had no problems with the modding and didn't have to remove dialog.tlk from the patch.obb or add an additonal dialogf.tlk. I used the base BG1EE\SOD install (GOG) on PC to setup the mods I wanted to use and created a modfile from that config. All went smoothly and the mods run fine in the Android environment.

Gus

Hi, any idea how to install SoD mods without PC version of BGEE and SoD?
    Should I try install mods on BGEE android version, than take override folder from it put it in new install of SoD and try install (or re-install) that mods again? o:) could that fix the problem with missing files?
    Gusinda
    @Caszidy, that is a very good question... The method you talked about could likely work. I would try that as a starter. I sounds like a pain having to install the mods twice but you could set a batch file to most of the hard work.

I wonder if we could combine (on PC in modding area - not for playing) them like the PC version. I will have a play today/tomorrow and see what the differences are. I suspect the problem would be fixing the chitin.key (if it is actually used when adding mods).

BTW, I have done some other mods for SOD and the use of a duplicate dialog.tlk (dialogf.tlk) came in handy. It seems to depend on what the mod is changing, particularly if the mod adds classes... a bt of trial and error, so I have been duplicating the dialog.tlk as a matter of protocol now.

Gus
    Caszidy
    edited November 2018
    @Caszidy, haven't had much success with combining the two games for modding (mainly due to chiten.key merge). Did you end up trying the install onto BG1, copy, then install onto SOD? If not, tis alright as I will try that today myself anyway.

Gus

Edit: Playing with this at the moment and the hardest part so far is to find a mod that doesn't work... I have install a bunch of mods (mostly kits such as Shadow Magic, additional items, and one extra NPC - Vynd) on to SOD standalone and they have all worked! Vynd and additional items need to be consoled in but were avaialble, and the kits seemed to work without problems (quick test of creation and opening scene only). None of them skip installation due to not have a file available.

Do you know of any that aren't installing due to files not being available?

Thanks
    Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    Caszidy
    Gusinda said:

I was also able to make the change directly on the mobile device using WinRAR for Android. Rename the .obb to .zip, open using WinRAR, change the name to dialog.000, rename back to .obb and game started without problems using a modfile The was no need to use centralfix here (but there was for the PC attempt).

That is one ingenious solution! I aplaud you, it's working like charm :+1:
    I think it will be handy to point to this new and simply solution in the first post maybe?
    Gusinda
    @Gusinda Thanks for your effort. I tried install mods on BGEE first, then put the override folder to new install of SoD and install wanted mods again, and follow clasic procedure how to install mods on android and then transfer needed files to my phone, but SoD than always crashes at start.
    So I tried install wanted mods only on SoD and all mods didn't report any failures during install (I install mostly NPC mods: Aura, Sirine, Drake & Versza) and it looks like it all works fine (I imported game from BGEE, and my NPCs are there in Korlasz dungeon and interact just fine) so far :open_mouth: which is strange, but I am OK with it :)
    Gusinda
    Well after all I must report, that I didn't manage to install "remove XP cap" part of Tweaks Anthology mod. Install report missing lines in some files.
    Gusinda
  • DarkaenDarkaen Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2018
    That's an easy one for you to fix manually...

Look in your override folder gor the file xpcap.2da -
    open it with any notepad/code editor and insert this --- do not select the " or space between them and start/end of text.

"
    2DA V1.0
    VALUE
    MAGE -1
    FIGHTER -1
    CLERIC -1
    THIEF -1
    BARD -1
    PALADIN -1
    DRUID -1
    RANGER -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE -1
    FIGHTER_CLERIC -1
    FIGHTER_THIEF -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF -1
    MAGE_THIEF -1
    CLERIC_MAGE -1
    CLERIC_THIEF -1
    FIGHTER_DRUID -1
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC -1
    CLERIC_RANGER -1
    MONK -1
    SORCERER -1
    SHAMAN -1

"

Sod also needs another file edited- so open SODSTRTA.2da and insert this:
    "

2DA V1.0
    BADVAL
    VALUE
    START_AREA BD0120
    START_XPOS 760
    START_YPOS 1695
    START_AREA_TUTORIAL TU0015
    START_XPOS_TUTORIAL 607
    START_YPOS_TUTORIAL 660
    START_AREA_MP BD0120
    START_XPOS_MP 760
    START_YPOS_MP 1695
    START_XP 64000
    START_XP_CAP -1
    START_MP_XP_CAP -1

"

That'll remove the caps for you.
    GusindaCaszidy
    @Darkaen well thats strange because I don't have neither of this files in my override folder (and I looked also into data folder etc but nothing) :worried:
    Hi @Caszidy, did a test on the install using Tweaks Anthology onto SOD only, but only installing the XPCap removal component. All worked as it should with no errors.

WRT what @Darkaen said, both of the files above can be extracted using Near Infinity from you SOD mods area. Not sure if you are using NI or not. Just in case you aren't using it, if you place NearInfinity into the root of your Mods area (where engine.lua is located), you should be able to start it up (assuming you are running Java Runtime) and have a look in the .2DA folder.

That said, the WeiDU install worked fine. What version of Tweaks Anthology are you using?

Gus
    @Gusinda Thats weird :confused: I used the latest version of Tweaks Anthology from Gibberlings3 page.
    Well I will try new install than, must be some problem on my side :pensive:
  • DarkaenDarkaen Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2018
    @Caszidy @Gusinda TweaksAnthology works fine for me as well, so not sure why you're having issues... That said, I'm just going to give you the 4 files TA put into my android SOD install. Just extract the archive on your phone and place all 4 files into your override folder ( filepath= /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear/files/override/ ). Enjoy.
    CaszidyGusinda
    Hello guys!
    I would like to mods BG2EE... but SHS is down.. any other site where I could download mods? Gibberling don't have them all...
    Thanks! :-)
    Hi @Mystre, what sort of mods are you looking for? Did you have specific in mind or just wanted to mod with something?

There are some here (which is still Gibberling...)

Gus
    Hi @Gusinda,

In fact i'm thinking of 20 mods on average.. I have a list at home of those I wanna try..
    @Mystre, if you put the list up, I may have some. I am certainly not an off site back :), but I did grab some before the sites went down (should of grabbed more) for an install myself.

Gus
    @Gusinda,

Here's the list of the Mods missing for me :
    -Foundling : Between the shades
    -Varshoon
    -The Longer road
    -Almateria's Restoration project
    -The big picture
    -The Sellswords
    -Will of the wisps
    -Animal companions
    -Tweak anthology
    -Golem Construction for spellcasters
    -npc kitpack
    -npc strongholds
    -W_packmule
    -DUKP
    -Item upgrade

Quite a long list I know.

Hi @Mystre, fortunately some of the mods were still available in other locations. I can't say whether the ones I have uploaded are the latest but they would be close.

-Foundling : Between the shades (Attached)
    -Varshoon (Attached)
    -The Longer road (Don't have)
    -Almateria's Restoration project (Attached)
    -The big picture (Don't have)
    -The Sellswords
    -Will of the wisps (Don't have)
    -Animal companions (Attached)
    -Tweak anthology
    -Golem Construction for spellcasters
    -npc kitpack (Don't have)
    -npc strongholds (Don't have)
    -W_packmule (Don't have)
    -DUKP
    -Item upgrade

Best of luck with the others. Hopefully it wont be long before the sites come back online...
    Gus
    Thank you very much! Looking there and there, i might hace them all at some point^^