Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I try and use only one of each as I have had rare issues with containers switching stuff within them to other NPC's with the same type of container.
    lolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited September 2018
    Zaghoul said:

I try and use only one of each as I have had rare issues with containers switching stuff within them to other NPC's with the same type of container.

If you have two IDENTICAL containers. All the contents are available to everyone who has that container. That is why some mods have a variety of gem bags, potion bags and the like. I'm glad that I've got one installed.
    It is part of CdTweaks:
    ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #182 // Unique Containers -> Unique icons and names: v4
    That mod would eliminate the problem that you are talking about @Zaghoul.
    AerakarStummvonBordwehrZaghoullolien
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Wise_Grimwald Huh. I've been using that one myself but I haven't updated to the newer versions of CDTweaks yet. I remember V2 and 3 having some issues so stuck with V1, but maybe that's been ironed out now. I'll have to update whenever I get round to a new installation. Thanks. B)
    lolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    It might just be faulty memory on my part, but I definitely got the sense that backstab damage got nerfed at some point down the line, as I started noticing shockingly low damage rolls on certain backstabs, to the point where I became a lot less interested in them because the variability in damage was just so extreme.

So with that in mind, the only fighter/thief I've got running right now relies on high strength and grandmastery just to make sure the DPS is up to snuff. Of course, a big part of this build was also my realization that specializing in daggers is the most efficient use for your weapon proficiencies, giving you a 2 APR ranged option by default, plus a slew of different enchantments to choose from.
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2018
    Huh, I thought I had posted an unpopular opinion.
    Permidion_Starklolien
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Jimstrom said:

I agree, i think each npc characters class fit them very well, and i am against giving official NPCS a kit just for a gimmick. Minsc is far more unique as a berserking hamster loving, unstealthy ranger than a generic barbarian.

Valygar is fine as a stalker, since he worked in the army as a scout, and his arcane blood give him some innate magical abilities wether he likes it or not.

For some reason it seems the majority of BG players love kits for the variety, and i agree it can be a great tool in roleplaying, but too much kits is just a chore for me, and most of the time i forget their unique abilities anyway, so i am quite fine with single classed thieves and clerics for most of the time.

I totally agree, in fact when I create a character for BG or IWD I only add a kit of it fits the background I'm thinking of.
    ThacoBell said:

:D
    ThacoBell
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited November 2018
    ThacoBell said:

If it's any comfort it was unpopular with me.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    ThacoBellWise_GrimwaldDaevelonlolien
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ThacoBell
    I agree with you, Corwin is a great ranger and an excellent party member to have tactically even if I'm not a fan of her in general. Although I must admit she is beginning to grow on me, I think everything would be solved by making her Lawful Neutral instead of Lawful Good...she's too hellbent on the rules and the rules alone to be Lawful Good. Even LG makes exceptions sometimes, but LN never does.
    ThacoBellArtona
    Ok so here's an unpopular opinion.

I may have already said this, but I think Mellisan is a great villain. She's by no means on par with Irenicus or Sarevok and I won't argue that out of all the major villains in the series she is by far the worst, but that doesn't make her a BAD villain, it just stands as a testament to how good the other villains are.

I'm not counting Caelar, because I believe Hephernaan, Belhefit and Irenicus are the real villains of SOD
    Aerakarlolien
    @ZaramMaldovar Is she lawful good? I always thought she WAS lawful neutral.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    @ThacoBell Archer's a Ranger kit, and is thus forced to be Good.
    ThacoBell
    I mod class restrictions a lot, so sometimes I forget vanilla requirements.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2018
    Characters whose main ability is passive, such as Skalds and Shamans, can be powerful bit I think it makes them rather boring .

But not equipment drops, nothing more frustrating than finding the hard earned goodies are of no use to you.

Ah yes, nothing like finally defeating Firkragg only to discover that nobody in your party has the ability to wield Carsomyr.

Ahh the bittersweet tears the first time this happened to me.

Wise_GrimwaldMontresor_SPThacoBellDaevelon
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

But not equipment drops, nothing more frustrating than finding the hard earned goodies are of no use to you.

Ah yes, nothing like finally defeating Firkragg only to discover that nobody in your party has the ability to wield Carsomyr.

Ahh the bittersweet tears the first time this happened to me.

At least it sells for something like 3,000 GP.
    Permidion_Stark
    And you can always get a paladin to join your party.
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
    @Wise_Grimwald
    By the time I've killed Firkragg, I know what my party is going to be. If I'm not a Paladin or Keldorn isn't already in my party, it's being sold.

The exception was my New Party Challenge, I kept it around just in case and low and behold, Mazzy died so Keldorn got his +6 Holy Avenger.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    In my first run of the game with my blade bard I put proficiency in 2h swords and once I got use any item had him use Carsomyr.
    ThacoBellAerakarMontresor_SPWise_Grimwald
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Come to think of it... if I mod Edwin into a bard and let him have use any item... does that make him able to do Mouse Magic?
    ThacoBellPermidion_StarkMontresor_SPlolien
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Come to think of it... if I mod Edwin into a bard and let him have use any item... does that make him able to do Mouse Magic?

Hmmm..............
    Montresor_SP
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

Only if you mod in a mouse and equip him with it.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Only if you mod in a mouse and equip him with it.
    Great idea. Boo needs a rival.
    ThacoBellWise_Grimwald
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    elminster said:

(The following is my own opinion and not Beamdogs - I have no power to make this change)

Carrion Summons could really be a 5th level mage spell without having any significant effect on gameplay (but it would open up their use in BGEE). They basically are similar to sword spiders but with much weaker attack (1d2 crushing as a normal weapon vs 2d6 piercing as a +1 weapon) and no immunity to web. They have a similar AC and health to phase and sword spiders (slightly better AC than phase spiders, but less health than both). They also have worse saving throws than both.

The only thing they have going for them is paralyzing enemies - which lasts 42 seconds - but they lack the hasted movement of sword spiders, the phase ability of phase spiders, the web immunity, the ability to hit enemies immune to normal weapons, and the high damage. Either way they probably shouldn't be a 6th level mage slot.

I think they were also don't actually appear in printed 2E as well. They were basically just made for BG2.

Agree on this.

I would also note that carrion crawlers appeared back in 1st edition AD&D back in the late 70's. I fought them back then in PnP as a wee lad. Not sure about this spell though, it may be a BG2 invention.
    StummvonBordwehrZaghoullolienThacoBell