Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    The Arcane Lore HLA does not call up the dialogue to learn more spells. The +1 Intelligence bonus is granted, however.
  • MrBaquanMrBaquan Member Posts: 42
    Do the multi-class kits work? I can't seem to access them but I really want to!
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    Do you meet the alignment requirements? Have to be non-good.
    edited November 2018
    I had just missed the "Shadow Orb" needed to activate the kits. Now I'm just waiting on SCS, which is taking an incredibly long time.

Anyway, is the Shadow Orb obtainable through something in game (BG2EE) or do I have to console it in? I read through this thread, but I could have missed it.

Also seconding Flashburn, Arcane Lore did not give me any new spells learned on my Shadow Disciple.

ALSO, I feel compelled to say how awesome this mod is. Totally revitalized my interest in playing through the game with the new kits, and the spells do not disappoint.
    Post edited by MrBaquan on
    Flashburn
    In BG1 i believe you can purchase it after completing the quest line, or at least a portion of it. There's some dialogue with the quest giver about you becoming a shadow adept.

For BG2EE, not sure. I've only started as a single class shadow mage there. Consoling it in use c0saorb.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Still alive, somewhat less active due to lack of time but hoping to get back to work soon. Did a slight update, mainly bugfixes and QoL changes:
    • Fixed Arcane Lore HLA
    • Improved familiar palettes
    • Added multi-class kits to character creation
    • Fixed small error in familiar dialogue
    FlashburnGusindaZaghoulMrBaquan
    yay you live! How's progress on the Shadow Enclave?
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    hey the shadow magic mod is great, but around 33 days he stop being able to cast magic, is there a reason for this?
    @saber0

There was a bug that I was made aware of but forgot to fix. Is your intelligence 24-25 by any chance?
    saber0
    yes
    Is the link on the front page the newest version? Started a fresh game with the SHS download but no multi-class kits at character creation or fixed Arcane Lore.
    v1.9.37
    • Added new component: BETA Spell Learning System
    • Fixed intelligence bonuses for 24-25 INT
    @MrBaquan SHS has been updated to the latest version.
    @saber0 The bug was caused by 24-25 intellgence bonuses stacking on top of each other it. It is now fixed.

BETA Spell Learning System: Thanks to an awesome new tool by kjeron, I was able to make a new method of spell learning that forgoes the need for a dialogue-based learning system. Since this is a new thing though it's currently made optional as it is still WIP. Namely, Shadow Scrolls are a bit of an issue and I don't recommend using them until I can figure out how to make them work. Also, it has issues on IWD:EE:
    kjeron said:

I have tested the function to work for the current patch cycle (v2.5.17.0, 2.5.16.6). However, this bug is still preset in IWDEE, limiting its viability.

saber0GusindaMirandel
    thank you!
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    Is it possible when talking to Darkflame to get *any* sort of clue as to where his apprentices might be? Even something vague like "east of beregost, northern part of the sword coast" etc? Because as it stands, I feel like I'd have to check every house and explore every inch of map to find these guys.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited November 2018
    @TheWhitefire

Darkflame doesn't, but Artemius gave us these clues back on page 10 of this thread if ya really want to get into it with 'em quickly. B)
    Locations of the apprentices:
    Xarius: Valley of the Tombs, easternmost crypt
    Chang: Baldur’s Gate bridge, post-Cloakwood
    Mak’kai: Candlekeep Catacombs
    Nym: In a cave south of Beregost
    Ivette: Ulcaster ruins
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    _Luke_
    edited November 2018
    can you look into one more bug? it says error no No translation provided for @0 and crashes when I level up?
    @Artemius_I
    Post edited by saber0 on
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Apologies if this has been asked before (I only skipped over this thread, trying to avoid spoilers) but is the quest available only to shadow magic users or other characters as well?
    @Ulb All characters can do the quest for the apprentices.
    Ulb
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    @Zaghoul
    Thanks, that's another mod for my next install list then.
    Zaghoul
    @Zaghoul Thank you very much, I'm still quite early in the game, so that's perfect. :D
    Zaghoul
    Just had some weird stuff happen when trying to learn new spells after a level up. Attempting to learn Shatter Weave broke the process, re-opening the selection screen, removing the Breaching Dark I had selected previously, and making any further picks just re-open the selection screen without learning the spell. Pretty sure it was related to a buff I had, most likely Shadow Screen.
    edited November 2018
    Dual-wielding Edge of Eclipse is craaaazy. Nearly permanent 25 str and nearly permanent Critical Strike + 10 magic damage, +10 hp per hit! Whoa! 4 hits for Kangaxx in Demi-lich form.

Shadow Fiends that spawn from Devil Shades last forever.
    Post edited by MrBaquan on
  • Arzakon_1714Arzakon_1714 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

First of all, again thanks for the mod. Second, just a few things. Knowing some features are still beta and bugs are expected, I think it's still good to share some of these issues so you can take a look at them.

When using the new spell learning system (quite better than the old one, kudos!), there is an issue with shadow scrolls, as they will give you learned spells over the accepted limit so when you level up, you're basically stuck on the spell learning interface as all the results will be incorrect. I made a backup save before using the scrolls, knowing it could break the new system, and it did in the end. Right now those scrolls are simply not possible to use unless you have max level, making them basically useless until the very end of BGEE/BG2EE (I'm assuming the same bug would appear in BG2EE if you used any scrolls and went over the spell limit during BGEE).

On a side note, just as a matter of personal preference, I've seen you've added some utility spells from the normal spell list such as Identify or Sequencers. This is great, but following the same theme I would argue that Knock is one of such spells. Every game I've played with mages is great because of their versatility, and although the Shadow Weave spells are cool and powerful, losing some of those utility spells make it less appropriate, especially for soloing.

Anyway, nice mod. I love the Shadow Adept concept of 3.X ed, and it's so cool to see it done for BGEE.
    Flashburn
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I don’t make carbon copy spells anymore now that I have proper modding experience. And if I didn’t have copies of the staple spells then people will be complaining that they aren’t there. I don’t expect to please everyone.
    Zaghoul
    Was gonna say... Shadeskin and Shadow Missile, while similar to their weave counterparts, are actually quite different. I totally get keeping contingency, identify, and the sequencer spells. They're basically necessary for running a decent caster, and nothing's more annoying than having a primary caster who can't cast identify (ie: Dynaheir). I have to say, @Artemius_I, this mod has really spoiled me on bards because now I can't imagine playing a non-nightsinger bard! I really enjoy it. My only quibble is I can't EE Keeper my multiclass characters into the multiclass kits and get recognized as Shadowcasters by the shopkeeper, but that's what I get for cheating I guess. XD
    Zaghoul

On a side note, just as a matter of personal preference, I've seen you've added some utility spells from the normal spell list such as Identify or Sequencers. This is great, but following the same theme I would argue that Knock is one of such spells. Every game I've played with mages is great because of their versatility, and although the Shadow Weave spells are cool and powerful, losing some of those utility spells make it less appropriate, especially for soloing.

If you pick a Chaotic alignment, you get an imp familiar with thieving skills that is actually pretty amazing.
    Zaghoul
    edited February 2019
    Do the stat bonuses apply to the Shadow Monk as well? I did not see it listed and was not sure how or if it ties in with their dark ki type of casting ( the monks are not mentioned, anyway).

Do the saving throw bonuses for chr apply to shadow monks as well? 
     EDIT: Found this answer through creation, a no, hehheh.

Update to v1.8.7.

Adjusted Shadow Monk's proficiencies (BUGFIX)
     Enabled Shadow Monk to use Shadow Magic items (BUGFIX)

On the last update (1.93(4?) I am using so far the only thing I have seen that monks could use were the boots, as can non-weave users. They cannot use the dagger, dart, Shar's infusion or any SW wands. Is that correct?

Kryn Darkflame does not recognize them as well,  although that may be intentional as they are secretive and separate from mages and clergy I am thinking.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    Is Merciless Blizzard supposed to damage creatures that are immune to cold damage, despite what the description says?
    Also, I noticed that the Shade Lord will not cast any spells in my install. I have SCS's Improved Shade Lord installed before Shadow Magic, though, so I'm not sure if it's conflicting with it or if something else is wrong.