Skip to content

[MOD] Animal Companions for Rangers and Druids (for BG1EE, SOD, BG2EE, EET)

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    It would be better I think to use the pseudo dragon animation for the young wyvern if possible, as he often has trouble navigating (due to size) where the CHARNAME goes.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Ulb
    Would you consider the chance to make this mod fully compatible with IWDEE?
  • Does anyone have a list of where the different potential companions spawn in BG:EE? I'd like to get a panther, but I can't remember if they don't show up until BG2 or not.
    @SchrodingersKat23 Most wooded areas away from towns will get you a panther but just remember you have to be 3rd lvl first. Also, when you get to 3rd, just call in an area for one.You do not have to take what is offered if the animal is not in the area, and can call again in another local. All show up in BG though.
  • GlycerineQueenGlycerineQueen Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if there is any way to get this wonderful mod working with the Icewind Dale EE? The setting is so perfect for Rangers and Druids, and they don't feel complete without animal companions. Hoping someone can help, I tried running the install in my IWD EE directory and I can add the Find Animal Companion skill to my char with EE Keeper but it doesn't let me use it in game sadly.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    This mod looks interesting. I'm just not particularly fond of XP costs.

Have you ever considered making Animal Companion kit versions, that lose out on some other class abilities in favor of having an Animal Companion?
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    @Ulb

Just a question about a recent install I had.

Line 465106: [action list near line 106, column 27 of AnimalCompanions/files3/UBRPET.d] PARSE WARNING at line 106 column 1-14

That's the warning I got on a recent install. Anything to be concerned about?

Here are my install and WeiDu logs.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29544&page=5#entry262288
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2018
    I need some help. I installed the "Animal Companions" for both Druids and Rangers, but how do I call upon them. There are no innate abilities. Do they appear as an ability sometime down the road when you level up?

Also, how does the "Totemic Druid" factor into this since they already have a spirit animal.

I was looking forward to having an animal companion (that I named "Bastion") but he's nowhere to be summoned.
    Post edited by UOLegacy on
    @UOLegacy Huh. I've never had that happen. It should show up under the special abilities star as a paw print even at first level. Once you get to third level when pressed, it should give you a range of critters to choose from depending on what map you are in. Any druid (and shaman) should be able to get one, including the TD (same choices as others but of course they stay with you all the time, unlike the spirits - unless you temporarily send them away).
    Until @ulb checks in, I'm not sure what adding the innate ability by EEKeeper would do, might work. It's Find Animal Companion (UBRPETA)
    I believe that I just found out the culprit. I should have read earlier in the thread.

This isn't compatible with IWD:EE which is what I'm playing. No wonder they're not showing up.

I was wondering if there is any way to get this wonderful mod working with the Icewind Dale EE? The setting is so perfect for Rangers and Druids, and they don't feel complete without animal companions. Hoping someone can help, I tried running the install in my IWD EE directory and I can add the Find Animal Companion skill to my char with EE Keeper but it doesn't let me use it in game sadly.

I'm in full agreement. Please make this compatible with IWD:EE. Thank you for all of your hard work!
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    Hey everryone, the mod should now be compatible with IWD1EE. :)

@Thels
    Sorry, I have no plans to modify this mod in the forseeable future.

@Anprionsa
    As long as it's just a warning I don't think there will be an issue.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2018
    @Ulb

Sorry to bother, but how did you manage to assign the Ranger class to the leopard? I mean, it seems that

WRITE_BYTE 0x273 12
    is not enough (e.g., the corresponding CRE lacks the Stealth button.....)
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Ulb Please include "VERSION" flag inside tp2 for oblivious reasons.
    @Luke93
    I honestly don't remember, though it should work like that..

@ALIEN
    The reasons aren't that obvious to me, but I can do that when I get around to update the mod again.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Ulb
    Just like in any kind of software (weidu mod is a software which you develop) people like to know the state of the code which they are installing and what was changed since last update. Example reasons:
    - mod version is included inside weidu.log for debbuging
    - mod version is displayed during installation, players know which version they are installing from the mod code, not the readme's which are often outdated
    - if there are issues with you mod, or conflicts with another, the mod version is know from the code
    - it helps modders to not preform so called 'silent updates' - if there is ANY change inside tp2, you simply increase last number in version number: 1.6 > 1.6.1 > 1.6.2 etc

One more thing which is a reason to release new version of the mod: please remove outdated handle_charsets.tpa function because it has bugs, weidu has fixed version of this function build-in.
    I do not have the faintest idea what you're trying to say...
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    The groundhog ability to stop backstabs only works for one round. How is this ability intended to be used in a realistic setting?
    Say, after finishing Durlags, and arriving at Ulgards Beard - when would you hit the button? Right after the cultists finish talking to you?
    One round seems like a *really* short time.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Ulb wrote: »
    I do not have the faintest idea what you're trying to say...

This comes a bit late but without the VERSION tag inside the tp2 you have no idea which version a player has installed if there is a bug report with attached weidu.log or DEBUG file.
    @loldrup
    One round might be a bit short, yeah. Still, I didn't want the ability to completely negate hostile thives. I guess right after a hostile thief uses an invis potion would be a good time to use the ability.
    If/when I get around to workon /update this mod I'll take your feedback into consideration.

@jastey
    Understood, same as above: If/when I get around to work on/update this mod I'll add a version tag.
    Ulb wrote: »
    I guess right after a hostile thief uses an invis potion would be a good time to use the ability.

Thanks for your response :)

Some thiefs go invisible again and again, repeatedly backstabbing, while waiting a few rounds in between each stab. I remember such a thief (or thiefly demon?) in a garden in Durlags dungeon, third level down). To be effective against one attack from such an enemy, the skill would have to last 3-5 rounds, I'd say.
    Also: How about increasing the number of available castings per day, as part of the level up of the animal? Then you wouldn't need to increase the duration quite as much, and the ability would get a fuller tactical usefulness against repeatedly backstabbing thiefs. It would still require good timing, even if you only increased the duration to, say, 2 rounds.
    Also also: wolf special ability seems a bit OP. How about just +1 to AC instead of two?
    The spell description of the call animal companion spell has only the text 'Invalid 130268'. Possibly this is only so after calling it once. I didn't check the description before I called it.
    How about including some of the text from the readme into the spell description?

The groundhog spell 'Alertness' has a very meagre spell description. It merely says 'Alertness'.
    I think spell descriptions outside of the spell book weren't a thing back when I made the mod. So Alertness having any description text is probably just a happy little accident (unless I already did a sloppy update on those some time ago and forgot). :)
    I'll add it to the list of stuff that needs updating.
  • Is this no longer available? I encounter issues when trying to access the download at Spellhold Studios.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    SHS is down for the moment, but you can grab the mod here : https://github.com/thisisulb/AnimalCompanions
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I keep getting Fatal Error: Sys_error("\\lang\\en_us\\dialog.tlk' permission Denied")

Any way to fix this.
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    Hello, I'm at the begining of an IWD:EE playthrough (in the Vale) and I only get the choice for a spider companion. Is it possible to get something else ? And if yes where ?
    I was hoping to get a non combat companion...
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Is there an overview of the companions? And how they increase in power?
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Check the readme. ;)
  • BanchidudleBanchidudle Member Posts: 2
    I started to play back again bgee but this time with several mods. I installed it with no problems. It's running great. So far i havent tested it cause i havent yet reached lvl 3. Got a question tho. If i want, lets say...a black bear, ill press the innate ability, the bear will be my friend until it dies? When you say it will go improving with experience, what do u mean exactly? will it improve thaco? chance to hit? dmg? health? speed? Will it take a spot for another spawn? Can u give specifics? Thanks in advance