Skip to content

[v3.4] Aura, a gnome artificer NPC for BG:EE + SoD

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Facepalm* I forgot to grab Aura and I just finished BG1. Looks like another run is in the near future.
  • woogirlwoogirl Member Posts: 14
    Aura looks amazing, I love her design so much she could be my first lesbian romance since I only play female chars haha

I'm going to enjoy her through whole bgee and hopefully in the future in bg2ee. Take your time, you are doing a wonderful job.

Thank you a lot.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Apologies if you have fixed this already but I did not see it logged as such on the thread (for future updates). Im still using the master file from around Aug 25 so it may be (too far back in my current install to change until my next setup).
    • The +3 berserker sword still adds proper +3 bonus after worked, but listed in description as +1 only.
    Is there by chance a list of the items that Aura can improve? I'm trying to see as much of her content on this run as possible.
    edited December 2018
    @ThacoBell Not sure if you know of all of these but so far I have the following items. There may be another added since my August version.

Ice Crystal from Ice Island - cryonics rod/freeze ray
    +3 Berserker Sword - modified somewhat- berserk only when less than 50% HP
    Idol of Kozah - lightning pro. and elec. damage amp.
    The longbow of marksmanship can be as well but I have not tried it EDIT: Tried and using it. Higher strength needed and fewer attacks but better THAC0 and crit chances.
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    ThacoBell
    @Zaghoul
    I only knew about the idol.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @ThacoBell
    Cursed Berserking Sword
    Longbow of Marksmanship
    Staff Mace + Werebane Dagger
    Idol of Kozah
    Gold Digger
    The Ossifier
    Cryonics Rod
    ThacoBellZaghoul
    edited December 2018
    Nice stuff :)
    EDIT: Great ideas on old items, just one last item to find out the changes to. B)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    ThacoBell
    @Artemius_I Thanks! Looks like I'll be picking these items up for the first time in awhile.
    Zaghoul
    Updated to v1.91 fixing the stacking effect on potions, correcting the Improved Sword of Berserking's +3 THAC0 to +1, and adding a new portrait.
    ThacoBellZaghoulGusinda
    Updated to v1.92 fixing a bug that caused compatibility issues with the XP cap remover of Tweaks Anthology (thanks to @Gusinda for bringing this to my attention)
    GusindaZaghoulCaszidy
    edited December 2018
    When an item is on the list of things that transfers to BG2 and gets modified, would it still show up in BG2 as modified in JI's dungeon, or at all?
    staff mace
    @Zaghoul

Nah, it wouldn't. Actually it would probably never show up since it counts as a different item altogether. It's a good idea as an addition to BG2-Aura though.
    ZaghoulGusindaRaduziel
    Updated to v1.93, fixing installation portrait and giving Aura a new default portrait.
    Caszidy
    Finished Aura's BG1 content. And whew, that final fight is kinda brutal.

I did find it hilarious that the racist foreigner was calling ME "Gaijin", do you know where you are dude?
    megamike15
  • jpayettejpayette Member Posts: 14
    I've been playing through BG1 with Aura and enjoying her a lot, but I've run into a serious bug with her quest starting with the Undercellar.

In short, the ninjas that you're supposed to fight spawn invisibly, then never attack, preventing the quest from progressing. I can only even tell they're there because I can't save due to nearby enemies, and because they block a bit of the ground.

Digging through the files, I think the issue is that their default script is BDTHIEF01.BCS, which only exists in a Siege of Dragonspear installation, not base BG:EE, which is what I was using. Since they have no script telling them to do so, they never attack. When I reinstalled the mod onto SoD and resumed my game from there, they attacked me as they're supposed to.

So, I've worked around it for now, but I assume the intention is that the mod works in base BG:EE, which was not the case for me.
    Caszidy
    @jaypette

Should be fixed now.
    That's certainly different. I think any tinker gnome on Krynn would be proud to call her cousin. :)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the one good thing about aura is it will force aionZ to actually write banter for jan. can't get away with just one this time my friend.
    “One” good thing, huh?
  • KanjiimufuKanjiimufu Member Posts: 10
    And here I thought Neera's position as my Number-One-quirky-pink-haired-stuff-exploding-supergirl would remain uncontested...
    I really like her concept, and even though I never bothered to take any other Thief into the BG1-party due to always having Imoen with me, Aura will probably the first exception to this habit of mine.

One Question though, once you finished her BG2 - and beyond - Storyline, will she have EET-support?
    @Kanjiimufu

The multi-class alternative options were specifically designed with the intention of making her a more flexible choice of party member!

I've become more familiar with the functions of EET so my mods generally will be EET-compatible by default, yes.
    Kanjiimufu
    The Death's Razor, a unique +2 ninja-to, was mistakenly not added to the intended NPC which means it is impossible to acquire. v1.95 fixes this.
    Gusinda
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    AionZ said:

@jaypette

Should be fixed now.

I fear there's another important bug in BG:EE without SoD ----> the file C0NINJA.dlg is missing......
    I don't see any issues. There is no C0NINJA.DLG because the ninjas are enemies and should not converse with the party ever. The code to add a dialogue file to them is just a lazy way to override their dialogue so they won't be installed with whatever dialogue file is used in their .cre files and won't have dialogue if charmed or etc. It doesn't interfere with an install or affect gameplay in any way.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    I see, thanks for clarifying.
    Why don't you create your resources from scratch using WeiDU's CREATE? I find it very handy........
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I had a plan of making an NPC mod but I'll never be on par with this masterpiece, so I gave up.

Excellent job.
    @Raduziel

Remember that writing is supposed to be fun and when it comes to writing mods you should do it because you want to and you feel there's something worth making. What you feel towards this mod is exactly how I felt towards Solaufein, or Isra, or Xan, or Kelsey, or any of the mods I played with growing up, and I assure you I had just as much difficulty and likely worse. I even considered myself many years too late to start modding until I finally gave in to my urges. And remember, this is my fourth NPC that I've written. My first is Sirene-BG1 and I consider its quality terrible compared to what I've done since. No one is forced to write a masterpiece on first attempt and usually when they do it's a combination of luck and talent.

Yes, I am aware that I sound somewhat hypocritical telling someone they should have fun and they don't need to be perfect considering I take writing very seriously and I'm known for openly criticizing other people's writing when I consider them below standard, but not once will I ever tell someone they shouldn't write.
    Raduzielmegamike15ThacoBell