Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

1545556575860»

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm curious about everyone's experience with the latest patch/DLC. I'm only a short way in so far, but everything seems to be working well. Prior to this patch, my fps would tank when I got to Gilded Vale, but it's playing really smoothly now (maybe a tiny bit of slowdown, but nothing drastic like before). I'm not entirely sure that's due to the patch or because I did some tweaking to my graphics card settings and updated to Windows 10 since I last played. I'm curious to see what happens when I reach the big city. the outdoor areas of Copperlane were nearly unplayable before because everything went sooooo slow.

Loading times seem to have improved a little bit for me, but they are still nowhere near ideal...

The combat system before was pretty inscrutable to me, and still is. There is so much going on "under the hood" that it's really difficult to figure out if my characters are optimal or not. I have switched to playing on hard, though. It got to be a bit too easy playing on normal on my first (aborted) attempt. The enemy AI seems a lot tougher no. My poor Cipher has been knocked out repeatedly this play through. on that note, I do like the new penalties that are imposed when char's get knocked out. It's pretty similar to Dragon Age: Origins in that respect. I do wish there were ways to fix up a character's wounds other than resting, but I do like having that penalty for getting knocked out. It makes combat just a little more exciting, knowing there will be consequences for not keeping everyone on their feet.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @procco What are people's specs complaining about load times? After I got with the times and bought a SSD, I'm finding the load times too short. Often there isn't enough time to read the load screen tips!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The latest patch makes my old save freeze the game. Time to restart I think....
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

@procco What are people's specs complaining about load times? After I got with the times and bought a SSD, I'm finding the load times too short. Often there isn't enough time to read the load screen tips!

I'm personally running on a lower end laptop (an HP Pavilion)...this game shouldn't even run at all much less at highest graphics settings, so I'm definitely not complaining :)
    mlnevese said:

The latest patch makes my old save freeze the game. Time to restart I think....

Depending on how old your saves are, so much has changed in terms of stats and whatnot it's probably best to start over anyway.
    mlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2016
    FYI, there is a 3.01 patch released today but the release notes are not published yet. Strange...
    Version 3.01.977 on Steam White March I and II

Edit: published
    http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-191-update-notes-301/
    Post edited by Musigny on
    JuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseMusigny
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    PCGamer published a huge, six page interview with Brian Fargo and Josh Sawyer about the history and future of the RPG genre:

http://www.pcgamer.com/brian-fargo-josh-sawyer-and-gordon-walton-on-the-history-and-future-of-rpgs/1/
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2016
    Leonard Boyarsky, one of the key designers of Fallout and Diablo III, has joined Obsidian!

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/117076-leonard-boyarsky-leaves-blizzard-joins-obsidian.html
    procco[Deleted User]brusDiogenes42
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Pillars of Eternity II and some other secret project of Obsidian
    http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=712
    proccoJuliusBorisov
    GamePressure have released the full interview with Feargus Urquhart taken during the Digital Dragons conference.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I retro-crowdfunded Pillars - and actually paid for the expansions when I was lukewarm about the main game.

PoE eternity was to me all about Obsidian. I was more fan of the studio than the game.

I frankly hope after going through the motions, now they might again be playful.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Feargus reveals that Atari were unable to fund the entire development of Neverwinter Nights 2, forcing Obsidian to invest an additional one million dollars of their own into the game. This nearly bankrupted the company.

Well, I think it was worth since they created my favorite game of all time n_n
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    edited June 2016
    There is a daily deal on Stem now ... 60% off... Also 25% on the expansions : )
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2016
    Currently on GoG.com the base game is 60% off and the expansion pass (includes both White March parts) is 40% off.
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i plan on getting the game during the thanks giving sale and wanted to know if it is worth getting the expansion along with the game or wait and get white march later?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I got the expansion last time it was in the sale, but I havn't played it yet. It's supposed to be similar to IWD in style.
    JuliusBorisov
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    JuliusBorisovronaldoSmilingSword
    I thought that the 3.03 v. would be the last update for Pillars of Eternity, but Obsidian have decided to release at least one more patch (in beta now).

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89399-the-304-beta-is-now-live-patch-notes-within/
    ThacoBellprocco
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I have more or less just started getting into PoE and I would like to ask more experienced players for advice every once in a while. Without spoilers of course. This will mainly be stuff about character building and such.

At the moment I am using an aumaua cipher with maxed might and intelligence. She has reached level 4 and I am wondering what talent would be a better pick between Greater Focus and Draining Whip. She already took Biting Whip at an earlier level (I figured the increased damage would also build focus faster, making the skill doubly useful). I am also not sure which level 2 power to pick at this level as none of them really seem to stand out to me. She already has Mind Blades and Mental Binding.

My strategy for her is mainly to have her hang back with ranged weapons to build her focus and use powers while Eder tanks. She will rarely be in the front lines of combat, so I am not terribly worried about her defenses unless an enemy decides to go for her.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Draining Whip for sure.

Good stuff from level 2 is Mental Binding, Phantom Foes, Recall Agony (for single powerful foes) and Psychovampiric Shield (for tank or solo ciphers).

Mental Binding likely to be your standard cast. Or just cast 2 x level 1 powers if you prefer those.
    TressetThacoBell[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
    For enchanting items, what elemental damage type is usually best to add to an item?
    JuliusBorisov
    Partly depends on talent choices (e.g. scion of flame et al) and what other damage options you have. Burning lash seems to be most common choice, followed by corrosive. Not sure if there has been a great deal of research into enemy DRs and which one mathematically is most efficient.
    TressetJuliusBorisovThacoBell
    edited December 2018
    Well... At the moment I only have the necessary components for burn and corrosive. I guess I should choose corrosive since I don't currently have any corrosive damage powers (I decided against taking Antipathetic Field as it seemed too difficult to use effectively)...

In case you are curious, I am thinking of upgrading Fulvano's Blunderbuss for my cipher.

By the way, how, exactly, does that Combusting Wounds spell work? The description seems rather confusing to me... is it a good spell or a not so good spell?
    JuliusBorisov
    Very good spell. Every time someone takes damage, combusting wounds adds additional burn damage on top.
    JuliusBorisov
    Imagine if PoE (or only PoE 2) indeed will get turn-based battles!

Adul[Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovTresset
    edited December 2018
    What would be a good choice for a level 4 power for my cipher? I already have Silent Scream and Pain Block. I am thinking I want either Body Attunement or Going Between. Which would be better? Or is there something else that would be better?
    Tresset wrote: »
    What would be a good choice for a level 4 power for my cipher? I already have Silent Scream and Pain Block. I am thinking I want either Body Attunement or Going Between. Which would be better? Or is there something else that would be better?

I chose Body Attunement - will help against biggest bosses in this game.
    Tresset