Skip to content

The lesser known historical facts thread

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    JoenSo said:

In Scandinavian countries, Saturday is called lördag, lørdag, or laurdag - originally meaning bath-day. Because that's the day when vikings apparently used to take their baths.

Whether they needed it or not.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The successful release of the SNES gained the attention of the infamous Japanese crime organization the Yakuza. Nintendo then began to ship the devices at night to avoid robbery.

Changes in Marvel Music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4GLbwwyn8
    When space invaders launched in Japan, its popularity caused a temporary shortage of 100 Yen coins.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited December 2018
    Not only was Hulk Hogan not the first person to bodyslam Andre the Giant but Andre had been slammed dozens of times before Wrestlemania III. Andre had to really like a person for him to let them slam him and he had to like them even more to help. However, he and Hogan had a wonderful working relationship as the two made a great deal of money together.

Hogan had been doing the "Body Slamming The Giant" gimmick at house shows (non-televised events) for a month leading up to their rematch at Wrestlemania IV to the point that his back was suffering and the Body Slam spot was getting really sloppy. One night during a show in Montreal, Hogan dropped Andre and made the giant mad. Andre stood up, turned around, picked up Hogan and slammed him down to the mat with enough force to send a message.

However, that was not the only receipt. As Andre lifted Hogan into the air he forced his enormous thumb into the Hulksters rectum.

[Photo Showing Actual Size]

After the match, Hulk had trouble walking out of the ring upright and when he got backstage to the locker room he angrily confronted the giant. Andre without any emotion simply told him "Be careful with your slam or next time it will be two fingers... not just one thumb."

Hogan never dropped Andre again.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    LadyRhian said:

HAL Laboratory, the developer responsible for Kirby, Mother, and Super Smash Bros. series, was named HAL because each letter put them ahead of IBM.

LadyRhian said:

When space invaders launched in Japan, its popularity caused a temporary shortage of 100 Yen coins.

These are the fun historical facts.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Gah, I miss Andre the Giant...and the Hulk Hogan for that matter. He was such a good face.
    According to the extras on the Princess Bride DVD, by the time Andre made the movie, his body was so messed up, he couldn't lift Robin Wright (she said she was about 115 pounds at the time). She had to be suspended from wires for those scenes where he's holding her up.

The way that Andre the Giant dealt with his pain was to drink... a lot. one night, he passed out in the hotel lobby and the staff couldn't move him, because he weighed 550 pounds. They didn't want to call the police, so they just surrounded him with a velvet rope until he woke up. Andre the Giant made his own drink, which was made up of 40 ounces of several types of liquor. He called it "The American", and he drank several of them every night. But he never seemed drunk, and he never got hung over.

Cary Elwes tried some "American", and he said it tasted much like he imagined jet fuel would. When he and Andre went out drinking together, he'd sip one beer for most of the night, because he could never outdrink Andre, who could drink 100 beers in a night.

Also, when he was in New York, the NYPD followed him with an undercover, because once he'd become tipsy and fallen on a man while waiting for his car. So they followed him to ensure it wouldn't happen again. But Andre didn't care. He bought drinks for the undercover cop, which were gladly accepted.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cary-elwes-aka-westley-shares-inconceivable-tales-from-the-making-of-the-princess-bride
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    There was a great documentary about Andre the Giant recently.

When he went in for surgery, the anesthesiologist had no idea how much to give to give a human that size. So he asked him "How much does it take to get you drunk?" Andre's response was a couple of liters of vodka gets him warm and fuzzy.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Andre loved working on The Princess Bride so much he would watch it over and over with anyone who would watch it with him. And in typical Andre style his guests were always treated to a glorious feast.

He just wanted to share it with as many people as he could.

:)
    edited December 2018
    A man fished a huge Mammoth Bone out of a river in the Yukon called the Crow River. It's 11,000 years old and could be one of the oldest Mammoths known in North America
    http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2016/06/native-man-fishes-11000-years-old.html?fbclid=IwAR3-XR3pqL61VUERjT6CkqQZNRNi5vDrOxHWD5OamUEAnEgvuabtneFqBoY

Jack Kirby of comics fame, once designed costumes for a college production of "Julius Caesar.
    http://the-insidious-dr-grey-matter.tumblr.com/post/176932165314/in-the-1960s-directoruc-santa-cruz-staffer?fbclid=IwAR3AJXB8e4ISPNbO1uM3tknW_jQPDHtq9GwKN3Q2BqdFnzSfRbej61LBLrM
    Pictures (and drawings) at the link.

Freddie Mercury does *all* the voices on "Bohemian Rhapsody"'s opening. He layered his voice many times over, and put them together to make the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MjsrMNCbU

When revealed in 2014, Overwatch was Blizzard's first new IP in 17 years.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, Ricochet, and Dota were all originally fan-made mods.
    edited December 2018

LadyRhian said:

What would you eat in medieval times?

Probably bread and poverty ;)

If you check out that video, Peasants ate pretty well when it came to lunch. Fresh Fish (from the local stream), herb pottage, rye bread, ale (thick and nutty). They actually ate a diet better for people than the richer and more meat-laden noble diet.

So when Europeans first came across tomatoes, they thought they were poisonous for a couple of reasons. First off, they are apart of the nightshade family, and nightshade berries are supposed to taste very good, but are very toxic. The second reason is a lot of the plates, bowls and cookware Europeans used at the time was made of pewter, which generally contained lead back then. This was actually fine for a bland diet of bread and poverty, the lead leaching isn't very bad. When you put something really acidic, like tomatoes, on something lead based, it really absorbs a lot of lead.

Only if you were well-off. Other people ate off ceramic pots, cups and plates. And if you were even less fortunate than that, you ate off wooden plates.

Using lead for plumbing is also fine, so long as you're just moving water through it. The water doesn't have much contact with the lead, so won't absorb much. Water also doesn't take up much lead by itself. It's only when you have other acids present in the water it becomes an issue. You also very quickly build up a sediment layer on the inside of the pipes that insulates the water from the lead. If you start pumping through acidic stuff (like industrial run off), that insulating layer can get destroyed, and the acids can pull the lead off into the water. It's pretty much what went down in Flynt. The Roman lead plumbing likely did not cause any noticeable lead poisoning, and there is no evidence it caused some of the Emperors to go crazy. The Romans also knew high exposure to lead was toxic, and only used slaves to mine and process the stuff. Being sent to those mines was pretty much a death sentence.

There's also a hypothesis (essentially unprovable) that the banning of leaded gasoline is responsible for the decline of violent crime in places that used it heavily. Violent crime in the US peaked in the 90s, and has been in a decline since then. Mild lead poisoning has been associated with poor impulse control. It's impossible to say for sure if this is the reason, or not, though, so take it with a grain of salt and other reasons maybe responsible or have contributed to the decline in violent crime.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–crime_hypothesis

Of course, they should be replacing those old pipes with PVC or Copper. Something similar is happening with the water in Newark as well.
    I was kidding about the bread and poverty bit. I know the diet wasn't that bad. Pretty bland by my taste, though.

Ya, with all the garbage in our water these days, lead is not a good choice.
    So, a new discovery...

After More Than 4,000 Years, Vibrant Egyptian Tomb Sees The Light Of Day

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/15/677068697/after-more-than-4-000-years-vibrant-egyptian-tomb-sees-the-light-of-day?fbclid=IwAR0K6pblsQ3bUVONRpg-WFq0UIdREJoeeR_d7ZgiBpiMyZLTmeofsg1zjfY
    It's in Saqqara.
    "The color is almost intact even though the tomb is almost 4,400 years old," said Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, according to Reuters. He told reporters the find was "one of a kind in the last decades."

Mystery Blast Sank The USS San Diego in 1918. New Report Reveals What Happened

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/11/675661414/mystery-blast-sank-the-uss-san-diego-in-1918-new-report-reveals-what-happened?fbclid=IwAR2_QNDZaKVZsuqYOWjfbdug4vAUzSvg84e29Y7jBr6G-UXnc4sNkemWtoA
    For the past century, the ship has sat at the bottom of the Atlantic, its location well-known but the cause of its sinking a mystery. Now, a team of researchers say they have determined the source of the blast: an underwater mine from a German U-boat.

Why the Venus de Milo Has Extra-Long Second Toes

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/mortons-toe-greek-foot?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page&fbclid=IwAR0EuGbt_SEPhU2ZmUqFI-nl7fZksXOW75us61bQYC2xXuyEqpsqBTrTHL0
    It’s a condition called “Greek foot” or “Morton’s toe”—and 15-20 percent of us have it.
    The creator of the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. Series, Masahiro Sakurai, voiced King DeDeDe in all Smash games the character appears in.
    There are four skins in League of Legends named after internet browsers: Foxfire Ahri, Safari Caitlyn, Explorer Ezreal and Chrome Rammus.
    How did the Romans celebrate ‘Christmas’?
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/roman/how-did-the-romans-celebrate-christmas/

Originally, Christ was born in the Spring (when Shepherds watched their flocks by night), but in Rome, so many people loved Saturnalia festivals that they moved the time of his birth to December, and the 25th, so the people could still have the trappings of Saturnalia while Celebrating Christ's birth. In early Christianity, Easter, the time of Christ's Death, is more important.

Interestingly enough, Easter is based off the name of a goddess, Eostre, who was a Germanic Goddess of Dawn and Spring. And her festival was in April.
    The Catholic church just loved their mad science holiday experiments. "Yes, yeeeees, if we graft Jesus' birthday onto the winter solstice, more people will join us! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!"
    edited December 2018
    LadyRhian said:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/roman/how-did-the-romans-celebrate-christmas/

Originally, Christ was born in the Spring (when Shepherds watched their flocks by night), but in Rome, so many people loved Saturnalia festivals that they moved the time of his birth to December, and the 25th, so the people could still have the trappings of Saturnalia while Celebrating Christ's birth. In early Christianity, Easter, the time of Christ's Death, is more important.

Interestingly enough, Easter is based off the name of a goddess, Eostre, who was a Germanic Goddess of Dawn and Spring. And her festival was in April.

I was just watching a video from the Religion for Breakfast channel and he offered a different origin. It seems that early christians believed that Jesus was conceived on the same date he was crucified, and western christians thought that day was March 25th. December 25th was 9 months later so that date was chosen for his birth. The co-opting of Saturnalia and the feast of Sol Invictus then came after the date was already chosen. In the east, the crucifiction/conception date was April 6th, so they celebrated Christmas on January 6th, which does not have a major pagan holiday attached to it.

BTW, I highly recommend RfB. I'm still working my way through the backlog, but I find his neutral academic approach refreshing, though he had a problem with keeping his background music too loud in his early videos.
    https://youtu.be/3DHbOpS-N0c
    @BillyYank I have never heard that as a possible origin before.
    BillyYank said:

LadyRhian said:

I was just watching a video from the Religion for Breakfast channel and he offered a different origin. It seems that early christians believed that Jesus was conceived on the same date he was crucified, and western christians thought that day was March 25th. December 25th was 9 months later so that date was chosen for his birth. The co-opting of Saturnalia and the feast of Sol Invictus then came after the date was already chosen. In the east, the crucifiction/conception date was April 6th, so they celebrated Christmas on January 6th, which does not have a major pagan holiday attached to it.

BTW, I highly recommend RfB. I'm still working my way through the backlog, but I find his neutral academic approach refreshing, though he had a problem with keeping his background music too loud in his early videos.
    https://youtu.be/3DHbOpS-N0c
    I haven't watched the video yet, but from what you say the gist is true. They had pegged December 25th as the date before they tried to transpose it with Saturnalia. It was however, an easy sell to get people to convert if they could still have festivals at about the same time. Asides from the Romans having Saturnalia, most cultures had some sort of festival at the solstice and another at the spring equinox, so having holidays around the same time helped to get converts. The custom of exchanging gifts most likely comes from Saturnalia. An argument could be made for it being like the gifts the Magi brought, though.

Speaking of Magi, a lot of people don't realize Magi were Zoarostrian priests. It's where we get our word Magic and Magus. To the ancient Greeks, the Persian rituals and religious ceremonies were mystical and strange, so they thought it to be magic. This thread's gone on so long I feel like I may have mentioned this at some point, though.

So I was in a bookstore the other day, and was absolutely drooling over this beautiful full set of Plutarch's Lives. The full set, hardcover with gold leaf. I think I died a little inside when I saw it was $700 bucks.