Skip to content

The lesser known historical facts thread

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Trapdoor spiders are great.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @SharGuidesMyHand Nice. B) That wild pattern on the back of the spider almost looks like some ancient design one would come across during an archeological dig.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    BillyYank said:

Sounds a lot like they were reading Xenophon's Anabasis when they came up with that system.

I first read the Anabasis when I was a journalist in the US Army. You could argue that he's the first war correspondent we know of. He was a retired general from Athens and only went along on the expedition so he could write a book about it. When the Persians murdered the Greek officers, he was elected overall leader of the 10,000.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but Xenophon, the writer of the Anabasis, was actually a young man when he signed up for the expedition. He was about 28-29 when they first left, not even old enough to speak in the Athenian assembly. Pretty much nothing is known about him before the expedition, other than he was a student of Socrates. It's pretty doubtful he could have been a strategoi before then, just due to his age. He did speak eloquently after the generals were killed, and put forth some good ideas, so he was put in charge of the rear guard. Timasion the Dardanian was elected top Strategoi above Xenophon. He didn't write about it until 30 years later, so it's not likely he went along with the intention to document the war, but I can't say for sure he didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophon
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

BillyYank said:

Sounds a lot like they were reading Xenophon's Anabasis when they came up with that system.

I first read the Anabasis when I was a journalist in the US Army. You could argue that he's the first war correspondent we know of. He was a retired general from Athens and only went along on the expedition so he could write a book about it. When the Persians murdered the Greek officers, he was elected overall leader of the 10,000.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but Xenophon, the writer of the Anabasis, was actually a young man when he signed up for the expedition. He was about 28-29 when they first left, not even old enough to speak in the Athenian assembly. Pretty much nothing is known about him before the expedition, other than he was a student of Socrates. It's pretty doubtful he could have been a strategoi before then, just due to his age. He did speak eloquently after the generals were killed, and put forth some good ideas, so he was put in charge of the rear guard. Timasion the Dardanian was elected top Strategoi above Xenophon. He didn't write about it until 30 years later, so it's not likely he went along with the intention to document the war, but I can't say for sure he didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophon
    Huh. I wonder where those memories came from.
    BillyYank said:

Huh. I wonder where those memories came from.

Maybe Thucydides? Still not quite like you described, but he was a retired general when he wrote about the Peloponnesian wars.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thucydides
    Herodotus seems a bit of a stretch.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus

I wish I had a picture of this, but when I was a kid in Florida I saw a spider with a silver skull on it's back. Googling images doesn't turn up anything that looks quite like I remember.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited June 2018

Speaking of old-time boxing, well... THIS happened:

The fighter on the right, Abe Attell, was on the comeback trail after losing the World Featherweight title earlier that year. His claim to the title began in 1903, making it one of the longest reigns in boxing history, although his claim was disputed at times.

Years after this fight, Attell was implicated in Chicago's notorious Black Sox scandal as an alleged middleman between the players who threw the World Series and the gangsters who paid for it to be thrown.

edited June 2018

You've likely heard The Kingsmen's classic version of "Louie, Louie" and its infamously garbled vocal lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-8_GI4d2c

Here are a few tidbits about the song.
    1. It was originally written and recorded by Richard Berry in the 50s before being covered by The Kingsmen (among others) in the 60s.
    2. The song was recorded in a single take (which was intended to be just a practice session), and the reason for the garbled vocals is that the studio microphone was raised too high above the singer's head, forcing him to stand on his tiptoes and yell into it.
    3. At the 2-minute mark of the video above, the singer came in with his vocal line too soon, and then cut it off after realizing the mistake. The drummer then improvised a quick drum line to "cover" the mistake.
    4. The FBI spent nearly THREE YEARS investigating the song to determine whether any profanities were included among the garbled lyrics. The investigation ended without any official determination one way or another.
    5. Ironically, the song DOES include a profanity, but not from the singer. At around the 57-second mark of the video, you can hear the drummer yell "Fkk!" after dropping one of his drumsticks.
    6. The original lineup of The Kingsmen broke up during the interim between the song's release as a single and actually becoming a hit, although other versions of the band with different members would continue to record and tour under that name.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Born and raised in Indiana, I love the Indianapolis 500. There are a lot of really cool facts about the race and the track; the first race alone could fill a book. But I will offer this:

The first Indianapolis 500 was run in 1911 and won by Ray Harroun in The Marmon Wasp. Marmon was a maker of luxury cars based in Indianapolis, part of Nordyke Marmon & Company. They started before the US Civil War in Richmond, Indiana, as makers of milling equipment for grain mills, etc. They grew quickly, moved to Indianapolis (a major rail center) in 1875, and expanded into many related businesses. They were an international company, shipping to customers all over the Western Hemisphere. When private telephones were first made available (before that you had to go to the exchange to make and take calls), Nordyke Marmon & Co. was one of the first companies in the US to get one.

From that point until the company was bought in 1933, they had the same phone number: 7.
    Did you know you can't actually see the Great Wall of China from space?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China
    I mean, ya, with modern satellite imagery where you can see individual people from orbit, of course you can see it. But claims that it could be seen with the naked eye from the moon have been debunked repeatedly.

Most of it was also constructed during the Ming dynasty. The masonry walls we think of only date back a few hundred years. Throughout most of it's history it was just a few forts with some interspersed walls. at times parts of it were just random stone and mortar with rice and lime juice to hold it together.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I've been away from this thread for a while, also it's 4am here, so apologies in advance for the barrage of different history items and lack of supporting evidence....

There's a theory that world war 1 actually began, because the kings of England and Germany (who were related) thought it would distract people from the economic crisis.
    The Egyptian pyramids were covered in beautiful alabaster, two temples were made from it, one in Turkey, one in Egypt. There's a theory the sphinx is much older than claimed due to rain weathering, when the area was more jungle like.
    During world war 2, the English bombed German civilians in village locations.
    There was a brief war with China and India, which actually involved Chinese people, living in India, being rounded up and sent to prison.
    A lot people think the Vikings were eventually driven out of England, when in fact William the conqueror, who took the throne room in 1066, was descended from Viking settlers in Normandy.
    The first Emperor of China, went on a quest for immortal life, but was (his advisors claimed) thwarted from reaching the sacred island by fish people, which is the original inspiration behind the Sahuagin.
    fluke13 said:

I've been away from this thread for a while, also it's 4am here, so apologies in advance for the barrage of different history items and lack of supporting evidence....

There's a theory that world war 1 actually began, because the kings of England and Germany (who were related) thought it would distract people from the economic crisis.
    The Egyptian pyramids were covered in beautiful alabaster, two temples were made from it, one in Turkey, one in Egypt. There's a theory the sphinx is much older than claimed due to rain weathering, when the area was more jungle like.
    During world war 2, the English bombed German civilians in village locations.
    There was a brief war with China and India, which actually involved Chinese people, living in India, being rounded up and sent to prison.
    A lot people think the Vikings were eventually driven out of England, when in fact William the conqueror, who took the throne room in 1066, was descended from Viking settlers in Normandy.
    The first Emperor of China, went on a quest for immortal life, but was (his advisors claimed) thwarted from reaching the sacred island by fish people, which is the original inspiration behind the Sahuagin.

It's pretty well documented the allies hit civilian targets in WW2. We bombed the hell out of Dresden, a city that had no military industry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II Any fan of Kurt Vonnegut can tell you about he Dresden bombing ;)

My Grandpa told me a story the Chinese had about how Japan was founded. The Emperor at the time told some people to find an elixir of immortality, and don't come back if they don't find it. They didn't find it, so they stayed in Japan. It's complete BS, but still interesting.
    Well Japan being founded that way might be BS, but there is evidence the first Emperor had generals executed for failing to find the elixir and that subsequent generals learnt to save their necks by not returning. His advisors fed him tablets of Mercury which they claimed would prolong his life, when they actually just made him madder.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    fluke13 said:

The Egyptian pyramids were covered in white limestone.
    Originally, the Great Pyramid was covered by limestone casing stones that formed a smooth outer surface
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited July 2018
    *puts on tinfoil hat*
    "Fake news! Fake news!"
    And furthermore: "WHO SENT YOU?!?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_d2mjBGdkI
    BillyYank said:

fluke13 said:

The Egyptian pyramids were covered in white limestone.
    Originally, the Great Pyramid was covered by limestone casing stones that formed a smooth outer surface
    You're right of course, many of the white limestone casing stones were removed from the Great Pyramid by Muhammad Ali Pasha during the early 19th century and reused as material for his Alabaster Mosque, also in Cairo... that's where I got the idea it was Alabaster.