Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is your sex/gender?

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
This is the first in a series of polls to measure the demographics of the Beamdog community (I was just curious). The poll is anonymous by default, but you're welcome to discuss the issue publicly if you like.

The other polls are here:

Race/Ethnicity
Nationality
Religion
Political Affiliation
  1. Demographics Poll: What is your sex/gender?117 votes
    1. Female
      11.97%
    2. Male
      78.63%
    3. Trans Female
        2.56%
    4. Trans Male
        0.00%
    5. Non-binary
        1.71%
    6. Intergender
        0.85%
    7. Other (please specify via post or PM if you wish to remain anonymous)
        3.42%
    8. Just show me the results.
        0.85%
Post edited by semiticgoddess on
ThacoBellGenderNihilismGirdleStummvonBordwehrSilverstarOlvynChuruJuliusBorisovZaghoulAdul

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm curious about something. I have very little interaction with non-binary identifying people. For the sake of curing my ignorance, would anyone be willing to inform of the difference between "Trans, non-binary, and intergender"?
    lost1
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I can't wait for the other polls. Demographic of this forum can be potentially interesting to look at.
    ThacoBellSilverstar
    ThacoBell said:

I'm curious about something. I have very little interaction with non-binary identifying people. For the sake of curing my ignorance, would anyone be willing to inform of the difference between "Trans, non-binary, and intergender"?

Simply speaking, trans is when a person is born within one gender, but genuinely starts identifying as other and is taking a step towards that end. Gender dysphoria is recognized as an actual medical condition.

Non-binary and intergender through have no basis in science for what I know.
    semiticgoddesslost1
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ThacoBell said:

@ThacoBell: Non-binary would mean you're something besides male or female, intergender would mean you're something between male and female, and trans means you were born as one gender but identify as another.

These terms are all very new, so their definitions are still very fuzzy. A lot of these ideas are pretty new, so people had to come up with new words to describe them. The meanings will probably shift in the coming years, so I wouldn't worry too much about knowing the exact difference between them. "Trans" is the big one.

Technically, there's a difference between a rock and a stone, and there's also a difference between a bug and an insect, but unless you're a geologist or an entomologist, you probably don't need to worry about which one is which.

I'll tag @GenderNihilismGirdle for her thoughts.
    ThacoBellArdanislost1Zaxares
    @semiticgod Many thanks, though I'm not clear on the difference between "intergender" and "non-binary", wouldn't that be the same thing?
    lost1
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ThacoBell said:

@semiticgod Many thanks, though I'm not clear on the difference between "intergender" and "non-binary", wouldn't that be the same thing?

Kinda. You might think of non-binary as a more general term for anything besides cis male or female; you could say intergender was a form of non-binary. But again, these terms aren't yet fully defined. Not all of them are necessarily used consistently--there's not a proper dictionary definition for all of them.
    ThacoBelllost1
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Genderless. It's somewhat of an racial trait of oozes.
    GenderNihilismGirdleThacoBelllolien
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

Genderless. It's somewhat of an racial trait of oozes.

Genderless Ooze Gender Reveal Party
    ThacoBellRaduziel
    @GenderNihilismGirdle That is much more in depth than I ever expected. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, its very interesting. On another note, haven't seen you around here in awhile, how have you been?
    GenderNihilismGirdleStummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddesslolien
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @semiticgod

Don't mind answering, woman which most know anyway.

What I'd find more interesting on this forum, is seeing whether male/female players react differently to the various NPC.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Male.

Also, I kept reading "political affliction", which I felt was very apt.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessJLee
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've already given you a 'insightful' but still just wanted to post that every time you post, I learn something new, @GenderNihilismGirdle, and that's just fricking awesome.
    semiticgoddessGenderNihilismGirdlelolien

And then with gender, obviously the Western gender binary was imposed by colonization on a whole host of peoples who had not just "third genders" but in some cases a whole SYSTEM of genders in their cultures, some with sacred significance but often just culturally accepted expressions of who you are. Maria Lugones is a good academic to look into if you want to understand the ways this imposition of the colonial gender binary had all kinds of lasting damage and intergenerational trauma in colonized indigenous cultures, I won't go into detail here.

I am asking for citation. Or rather, which cultures believed that? I want not only fact check, but also check out what other beliefs those cultures held. I think the results will be interesting.

Also, you using terms like "pop science reductive understanding" is a red flag in itself.
    Isewein
    Oh right, its an anonnymous poll. I'm male.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Male. Surprise, surprise...
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessOrlonKronsteen
    Balrog99 said:

Male. Surprise, surprise...

*gasp* Whaaaaaaaaa?!
    Balrog99semiticgoddessOrlonKronsteen
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Contrary to popular belief I am male.
    O_Bruce said:

And then with gender, obviously the Western gender binary was imposed by colonization on a whole host of peoples who had not just "third genders" but in some cases a whole SYSTEM of genders in their cultures, some with sacred significance but often just culturally accepted expressions of who you are. Maria Lugones is a good academic to look into if you want to understand the ways this imposition of the colonial gender binary had all kinds of lasting damage and intergenerational trauma in colonized indigenous cultures, I won't go into detail here.

I am asking for citation. Or rather, which cultures believed that? I want not only fact check, but also check out what other beliefs those cultures held. I think the results will be interesting.

Also, you using terms like "pop science reductive understanding" is a red flag in itself.
    I'm not about to go doing your research for you since this is incredibly easy stuff to look up if you or anyone you know have access to an academic search engine, but here's a book or two to chew through that have plenty of their own sources to springboard off into if you're really "interested" and not just trying to gotcha someone over easily searchable information (even with a regular search engine, although you might find a lot of the links are to academic articles anyway since this has been a hot topic, and one written about increasingly by people who are actually from the cultures in question, over the last three decades). Worth mentioning, though, that in many cases the way these genders are written about is using colonialist Western vocabulary that doesn't really apply, which is one reason I recommended Maria Lugones' academic writings in the very section of my post that you quote for people interested in this stuff. The Diné genders asdzáán, hastíín, nádleehí and dilbaa are, for example, slotted into meanings when "translated" into English that ignore cultural nuance in order to provide a reductive goalpost for the lazyminded English speakers trying to grasp the concepts without seeking out Diné sources, but again I'm not here to do your research for you.

Conceptions of gender which are not the Western binary have been going on since the first recorded civilization in history though, so I don't know why you'd be surprised or skeptical prima facie of claims of cultures with more than three genders (and "third gender" is easy enough to google if you want OODLES of examples of cultures with those, but I assume what you meant was examples of cultures with more than three since every continent on Earth has multiple examples of cultures with third genders...although again that term is one that presumes the binary, which from the Sumerians to the Buginese it can be shown is not presumed with the kind of universality the West would like to believe, neither through time nor space).

Also, your assertion that pointing out that science is plagued by pop science reductive understandings of science is a "red flag" is a weird dig at literally every STEM major ever LMFAO
    SkatanStummvonBordwehr
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Male.
    But there was one time my girlfriend did my eyelashes and I felt really awesome. Shame I couldn't show up in work like that...
    Balrog99lolienOrlonKronsteen
    Oh dear, you seems to misunderstood why I asked your for citation. I know I could easily search it up and I don't think I would ever need to visit a library for that... And it would be definitely faster than your response. It's just that on this particular case, the burden of proof is lying on you. I just wanted you to back up what you're saying with something and this is why:

By "pop science" you either expressed lack of understanding of what science and scientific method is or you are trying to suggest that science is catering to popular beliefs, which is evidently not true. In layman terms science does not care how you feel about it. True, there are instances in which the researcher is corrupted and tries to push his/her agenda (example that fits this topic nicely: dr John Money) rather than face reality (and in Money's particular example, at expense of his test subject), but what's notable of instances like those is disregard of scientific method.

Second, I wanted you to back yourself up with facts because you did a serious mistake. You pointed out at earlier civilizations to say "see? there always were multiple genders!". What's wrong with your reasoning here is as following:

1) You cherry picked examples of a beliefs that fit your overall world view.

2) You disregarded all other beliefs those civilizations held.

3) I don't know how you came to the conclusion that, since early civilizations believed in more than two genders/non-binary genders etc, then it proves you right. Your belief requires similar leap of logic like that of creationist's using fine-tuning argument to "prove" that the universe was created by god. At surface it might sound convincing and profound, but when you dig a little bit deeper into it, you'll see the argumentation is simply invalid.

4) Finally, I asked you for citation because, while weak, your argument appears to be profound and nobody here questioned it. So somebody had to start questioning you and it just happens that person is me.

Finally, let's discuss the links you provided. First, the books. They might be worth of a read, but still only one of them appears to be covering the topic of general beliefs of said civilization - native Americans in this case. So only one of them potentially will allow you to find out about their gender-based believes, compare them to their other beliefs and see how valid all of them are in light to what science has to say about it.

The article on the other hand, is not valid at all. To sum it op: it appears the general world view on gender was tied to, let's say "functionality" of the gender rather what the gender actually is. I am pretty sure I'm still male, even if I don't conform to social standards. I'm also pretty sure that male still remains as male, even if he's sexually passive. In a way, the beliefs presented there were similar to how Israelites used to divide animals into "kinds" - that is based on what the animal does (bats fly, therefore they're birds kind of logic), rather what the animal actually is because they didn't know any better. So, dividing things into function rather than what those things actually are. Same mistake, same lack of knowledge. This is not something anyone should base their world view on!
    FlashburnMirandel
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    outergender here
    [Deleted User]
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I am a book - and I like a nice rack. Yes I am that simple.... But I am improving

I have found @GenderNihilismGirdle ‘s post most insightful - and I am thankful for your insights and lenghty posts.

I dont need a quote to find them more insightful, but take them for what they are: some very insightful post about genders on a forum otherwise devoted for great RPG’s set in the made up land of Faerun.

@O_Bruce you do have point. Civilizations and people are different, and not all are alike. It may be me reading a context into @GenderNihilismGirdle’s post, but I didnt see them as trying to shoehorn a wider understanding of the sexes into all cultures - but only to some/many. So I do think that your closer to a common understanding than you suspect. But then again I am just a book...

And how about them Yankees?
    GenderNihilismGirdleThacoBell
    O_Bruce said:

A bunch of words.

Gender has nothing to do with science, it's all culture, so I can see where your confusion is in conflating biological sex and cultural understandings of gender and thinking science says something about something purely culturally constructed, I should've been linking stuff on karyotypes from geneticists since I can see that's where your mind is stuck at a pop science understanding of a binary/dimorphism. Not gonna get into it tho, have a nice day and happy researching!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    @typo_tilly I usually go with trans woman when I don't want to like Get Into It with someone I've just met, especially if they don't seem steeped in LGBT stuff lmao but I'd say nonbinary/agender trans woman is closer and gender nihilist trans woman is probably the most accurate.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    GenderNihilismGirdle