Skip to content

Familiars: Hiding in the pack or out and about? (*expect spoilers here*)

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
Hints, options, stories, and tips for the tactical familiar or animal companion ( hittin 'em where it hurts - backs, heads, and purses). Do share.
  1. Familiars: Hiding in the pack or out and about? (*expect spoilers here*)27 votes
    1. In the the pack all the time. (I ain't taking chances)
      25.93%
    2. Out on the rare occasion (short scouting missions,spells,pickpockets,resistance tanking,etc)
      37.04%
    3. Out about half of the time (plenty of scouting ahead alone, a kiting decoy, plus the above)
      11.11%
    4. Out about all the time( "Sic 'em, bite em, rob em blind!)
      11.11%
    5. What familiar? (He would take up one too many pack spaces if I summoned one)
        3.70%
    6. I never play a character that can summon one. Pure fighters, clerics, and thieves don't need 'em.
        0.00%
    7. I only summon skeletons and demons
        7.41%
    8. Other (just cause we like 'other', so do tell)
        3.70%
StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    ... and flying swords.
    ZaghoulStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

... and flying swords.

Ah yes, Mordenkainen's favorite familiar. ;)
    ThacoBell
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

... and flying swords.

You forgot falling cows.
    ThacoBellZaghoul
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    with the fantastic mechanic that is "Critical Hit", one would be silly to keep it out at all
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Familiars can be fun to use during the first half of BG:EE on the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty. It gives them HP to save from being one-shotted, and makes them rather nice fighters (especially the imp one when it shapeshifts).
    Zaghoul
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I usually played with EET, which meant familiars got no HP bonuses in LoB mode (I don't know why EET changed that; it just did). Familiars aren't generally useful aside from the HP bonuses, since the Fairy Dragon doesn't have Invisibility 10' Radius until BG2, when you already have plenty of level 3 spell slots. The Imp does make an excellent anti-mage tank when shapeshifted, and that was possible even in BG1, but I never play evil-aligned characters.
    Zaghoul
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    If I ever were to mod the game (other than the mandatory Branwen mod), I'd look for one that that let me re-summon it with no penalty. It deserves better than being in the pack all the time :(
    Zaghoul
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A couple of times (in the base game), my familiar would be summoned then get “stuck” somewhere on a map and stay stuck there.

It wouldn’t be taking up space in my pack or dead so I’d still have the bonus HP, but I wouldn’t be able to summon it again. It’d just remain stuck in the underdark or room somewhere.
    Zaghoul
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2018
    The section of the constitution table that gives no bonus or penalty is very long, so it doesn't hurt to start with mediocre or even high constitution and have a familiar die once in a while. Moreover if you play dragon disciple you get some free constitution as well. I even learn it as a level one spell so I can recast without needing am extra scroll from somewhere.

Some have handy spells, immunities or on hit effects, others utility. I love them.
    Zaghoul
    lroumen said:

The section of the constitution table that gives no bonus or penalty is very long, so it doesn't hurt to start with mediocre or even high constitution and have a familiar die once in a while. Moreover if you play dragon disciple you get some free constitution as well.

Some have handy spells, immunities or on hit effects, others utility. I love them.

Yeah when your con is not getting a bonus anyway, or it's over 16 and a mage, then they can be used to save your character, esp. in a no reload situation.
    edited December 2018
    I like Spell Revisions in that familiars start at their 24 HP SoA level. THe only issue with that mod is that rabbits cannot disarm traps like in vanilla BGEE, only detect.
    I've still used cats to disarm all the way through N.Mines though. I solo alot so use them more than usual anyway. I always have my bards or sorcerers keep a luck spell handy before they are picking pockets or disarming traps as well. I've had them disarm traps in the treasure cave with the golems as well.

Even without bless, skalds, and strength I've had cats backstab for 12hp of damage. When an enemy is unconscious they also do more than normal damage as well.

There is a fun option in rogue rebalancing that gives you a way to talk yourself out of a botched PP or shoplifting attempt. Ya have to be careful with familiars, as when they fail a PP attempt they run around in circles with a failed morale for a few seconds while the person takes 1 free swing at them callin em "Filthy little beasts". (even the druids, hehheh).
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I like to keep the familiar out on an evil jester, because the dust mephit abilities synergize so well with the jester song.

The ferret's only useful for its pickpocket ability, so you'd only use it out of combat anyway. It's pretty convenient to bring it out of the pack as needed.

Everybody else just stays in the pack full time