Skip to content

Does Bodhi have a merchant like the Shadow Thieves?

I just sided with Bodhi. The two vampires in her lair acted rude to me after I spoke with them. I had Aerie chunk them.

Were any of them merchants? Does Bodhi's lair have merchants? Is Meredath or Cohn Ta'glaen important?

Comments

• hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    There is no shopping in Bhodi-ville. I never tried to ace anyone down there, but I believe anybody important will need a wooden stake to permanently put to rest, and AFAIK there's really no interaction with any of them that's quest important so assuming the whole nest didn't turn hostile I can't see this would break your game.
  • ApostataApostata Member Posts: 4
    No, there are no merchants, and none of the interactions are important. The vampires won't even care if you kill the human servants, it is actually a good opportunity to massively reduce your reputation if you have an evil party and your reputation happens to be too high.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Mivsan said:

Thesblah said:

The two vampires in her lair acted rude to me after I spoke with them. I had Aerie chunk them.

I just want to say that I loved this part of your post and how casually you said it :+D. "They were rude to me so I had my associate show them how we deal with rude people".
    Agreed. Until you realize that it was Aerie who did it. Which really takes away from the mafia feel.
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    Mivsan said:

Thesblah said:

The two vampires in her lair acted rude to me after I spoke with them. I had Aerie chunk them.

I just want to say that I loved this part of your post and how casually you said it :+D. "They were rude to me so I had my associate show them how we deal with rude people".
    Yeah, I mean my character is a domineering, charismatic, lawful evil, blackguard, child of Bhaal. He's got murder bred into his bones. He has already slain numerous dragons as well as the prince of demons. He shan't be taking any lip from some dreary lesser vampires that don't know their place.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The only notable merchandise from the Shadow Thief Merchants are poisoned throwing daggers. It's not much difference if you lose access to them.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

The only notable merchandise from the Shadow Thief Merchants are poisoned throwing daggers. It's not much difference if you lose access to them.

@semiticgod But they are some of the few fences in the game so there is that...
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    Mortianna said:

In her initial dialogue with the PC after agreeing to her offer, she mentions there is someone in the lair who can "tend to your trading needs," but there's no merchant there, unfortunately. It must have been something that was planned (since it made it into the dialogue), but never made it into the game. I'm surprised no one has made a mod for this.

Devs. Could you check into adding a vampire merchant here? And more importantly, could you arrange for the merchant to give better prices for low reputation parties?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Mortianna said:

In her initial dialogue with the PC after agreeing to her offer, she mentions there is someone in the lair who can "tend to your trading needs," but there's no merchant there, unfortunately. It must have been something that was planned (since it made it into the dialogue), but never made it into the game. I'm surprised no one has made a mod for this.

Devs. Could you check into adding a vampire merchant here? And more importantly, could you arrange for the merchant to give better prices for low reputation parties?
    I don't think that the devs would change that, but you could make a mod request at the modding section.
    DJKajuru said:

Mortianna said:

I don't think that the devs would change that, but you could make a mod request at the modding section.
    Why wouldn't they change that? As many here pointed out, it could have been something that was overlooked during development. Bhodi was pretty clear that we could trade with some merchants in the vampire crypt and it always confused me that I couldn't find any.

DJKajuru said:

Mortianna said:

Why wouldn't they change that? As many here pointed out, it could have been something that was overlooked during development. Bhodi was pretty clear that we could trade with some merchants in the vampire crypt and it always confused me that I couldn't find any.
    Because by principle they don't add stuff that ain't to fix a bug or to improve mechanics. They usually add custom stuff when it's related to their own material, such as EE Npcs or SoD . Modders, on the other hand , may do whatever they think it's to the game.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    This is a weird discussion to me because joining the Shadow Thieves doesn’t give you access to any new stores either. The only Shadow Thief merchants I can think of are Gorch and the black market dealer who can both be traded with before joining either guild.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Lot of necromancy going on around here these days.
    Grum said:

Mivsan said:

Thesblah said:

Agreed. Until you realize that it was Aerie who did it. Which really takes away from the mafia feel.
    Beware the cute and sweet ones. They're the ones you really need to look out for.

Lot of necromancy going on around here these days.

Grum said:

Mivsan said:

Thesblah said:

Beware the cute and sweet ones. They're the ones you really need to look out for.
    Yeah, I don't see the point of starting a new thread if there is already a related thread with useful on-topic information in existence. ^_^
    DJKajuru said:

DJKajuru said:

Mortianna said:

Because by principle they don't add stuff that ain't to fix a bug or to improve mechanics. They usually add custom stuff when it's related to their own material, such as EE Npcs or SoD . Modders, on the other hand , may do whatever they think it's to the game.
    When exactly did this principle become a thing, @DJKajuru ? That has not been the case when it has come to the release of the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions. Since resurrecting the IP they have added new companions, quests and items to these games. What is to stop them from continuing to add content to the base game? These additions are largely what brought back a veteran like myself to these games.

If they plan to just limit themselves to bug patches or slight UI / QOL improvements then that is very unfortunate. There wouldn't really be a need for an EE version of these games when modders have already done some great work on these type of improvements already.

I have noticed this unfortunate trend by Beamdog to just repackage and slightly spruce up prior releases. I found this especially true about Neverwinter Nights and will not be purchasing that game anytime soon - even on Winter sale. I made one exception on this "museum" approach to Beamdog re-releases for Planescape: Torment but that's because almost two decades have gone by since I last played that game and didn't mind a new play through.

Personally, I would like to see some of the development team devoted to further content / add-ins into the base game. Whether that is making items available from BG 1EE or SOD or adding content that might have been cut or overlooked on the first release.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Unfortunately they've already said no further DLCs will be forthcoming because they wouldn't make enough revenue to cover costs. Would be great if they did though -- here's hoping!
    Look @GrimjackMV , you may consider it necessary to add a merchant at Bodhi's Lair and the forums are the exact place to post our opinions, but personally I don't see it as an emergency or even something that breaks the game in any way to require an official add-in . On the other hand, I would love tons of unnoficial stuff that would increase my immersion in the game so I understand how you feel, but I repeat that it's something better provided through mods .

The devs can do it?Yes.
    The devs have done it before? Yes.
    Should they keep adding changes that aren't optional? I don't think so,but that's my point of view.
    DJKajuru said:

Look @GrimjackMV , you may consider it necessary to add a merchant at Bodhi's Lair and the forums are the exact place to post our opinions, but personally I don't see it as an emergency or even something that breaks the game in any way to require an official add-in . On the other hand, I would love tons of unnoficial stuff that would increase my immersion in the game so I understand how you feel, but I repeat that it's something better provided through mods .

The devs can do it?Yes.
    The devs have done it before? Yes.
    Should they keep adding changes that aren't optional? I don't think so,but that's my point of view.

Look @DJKajuru . No one (most certainly not myself) suggested this was an emergency or game breaking issue. I was simply playing through BG2, came across Bodhi's invite to join her faction and her hinting at a vampire merchant for the PC and remembered searching around for said merchant years ago.

Hopped on the forums to check into this, surfaced this thread and saw that I was not alone in this and decided to add my two humble coppers to the conversation here.

And as you, yourself admitted - the Devs are making changes and additions to the base game with each patch.

Unlike you, I do not want the EE base games to be carbon copies of the original release games. I want them to evolve - and they most certainly have, with Beamdog. Plus, I don't think it would not kill them to consider adding a vampire vendor in the future I think. ^_^

But to your point, I will go ahead and put up a post on the Mod forum to see if a modder can maybe assist with this in the meantime. Thanks for your passion around this addictive game and have a Happy New Year!
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    It doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference either way. Someone in the thread said that the Shadow Thieves Merchant had no unique items. So presumably the Vampire Merchant wouldn't either. It'd just be just be somebody to pawn jewels on, placed there for consistency with the game's text.

Very little in terms of harm or benefit to be had here, and arguments for and against it are more a matter of principle than anything else.