Skip to content

Custom PC & NPC Portraits

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    Very sultry looking. :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    IT DEFINITELY LOOKS LIKE THAT PORTRAIT WAS THERE IN THE VANILLA GAME!
    AWESOME!
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    Aedan said:

IT DEFINITELY LOOKS LIKE THAT PORTRAIT WAS THERE IN THE VANILLA GAME!
    AWESOME!

Indeed, it's Minsc that looks out of place. :D
    WOW! Just... wow! This portrait looks amazing!
    And I do think that Bob fits very well as name :)
    edited January 2019
    You found a perfect balance in terms of light and shadows - each portrait fits very well with the game style!

I know that you are very busy due to real life, but I was wondering - one day, would you consider the chance to draw a new portrait for Glint? What do you think about his default portrait? I like it, but I am sure you could do even better :)
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Aedan said:

You found a perfect balance in terms of light and shadows - each portrait fits very well with the game style!

I know that you are very busy due to real life, but I was wondering - one day, would you consider the chance to draw a new portrait for Glint? What do you think about his default portrait? I like it, but I am sure you could do even better :)

I'm still wrapping up BG1, so I still haven't gotten a chance to even try Siege of Dragonspear. All of the new characters will probably be high on the list, though, as it always bothers me when they don't match the original style!
    @Isandir
    Your Glint is SO COOL! Thank you for this gem!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Quartz said:
    @Isandir is back?! Huzzah!!
    Haven't you looked through the last two pages of the thread?  ;) 

@Elrandir deserves the credit for getting me to finish a portrait I had put aside for years, and it just snowballed from there. It seems like quite a few others have been absent from the forums for a while as well!

@thespace I unfortunately use my Mac for work and my PC for gaming, so I've never tried using custom portraits on the former.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2019
    @Isandir

Hey there, I'm not sure if you remember me and I've changed my username since then anyways but you made me two portraits a few years ago for my NPCs, Gleya and Sirene. I still feel bad that the former's currently in hiatus as it feels a waste not to use the art you made, but I'm hoping to revive her eventually, while the portrait you made for Sirene was a huge motivator for me to get it finished. Glint is probably among the best of the work you've done in my opinion, his original has bugged me ever since the expansion was released. I just wanted to say thanks for the art you made for me in the past and drop an endorsement on your newest art in the process :grin:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2019
    Could someone link to a tutorial of how to replace a default NPC portrait with a custom one? I'd love to use @Isandir 's Glint next time I play SoD, but I have no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Does it maybe have to be done via Keeper?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    That Glint portrait is stellar @Isandir .
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2019
    BillyYank said:
    Could someone link to a tutorial of how to replace a default NPC portrait with a custom one? I'd love to use @Isandir 's Glint next time I play SoD, but I have no idea how to do that.

As long as they're the same name as the in-game portraits, you just drop them in override. Isandir's naming of "GlintL" and "GlintM" looks right.

Alternatively, you can save it to My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits That way, you don't have to replace the file when you start a fresh installation.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited January 2019
    Thels said:
    BillyYank said:

As long as they're the same name as the in-game portraits, you just drop them in override. Isandir's naming of "GlintL" and "GlintM" looks right.

Alternatively, you can save it to My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits That way, you don't have to replace the file when you start a fresh installation.
    No. That way you won't override the portraits of NPCs - that way you can only choose a portrait for your created character.

BillyYank said:

I'm not 100% sure, I think you'd also need GlintS as well (the portait can be the same, it's the file name that is checked).
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    I'm not 100% sure, I think you'd also need GlintS as well (the portait can be the same, it's the file name that is checked).
    I think the small portrait is no longer used by the Enhanced Edition.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2019
    Thels said:
    BillyYank said:

No. That way you won't override the portraits of NPCs - that way you can only choose a portrait for your created character.

You actually WILL overrider NPC portraits that way, as long as you give the files the correct names! Also, you need to have both the L and M versions, otherwise, you'll only overwrite their portrait at some places.
    May I use your Glint as avatar picture on this forum? :)
    Thank you!

Your Dorn is amazing!
  • Mana85Mana85 Member Posts: 3
    After years of playing BG I got kind of bored by the standart portraits so I tried looking for a new ones. For most of NPCs it is not a problem, but I was not able to find one for Jaheira that fits my taste. The best fitting my feel for the character was this pic of Olivia Wilde, I was able to put some filters on it to make it look picture-like, however I was thinking if someone could try their hand at Baldurizing it even more, like adding some nature-like background etc.