Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Art Assets (models, textures, images, sounds)

Comments

• Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    Githyanki -- maybe like 3 or 4 creature models
    Astral Plane Tileset

Ahh yes... am reminded of the 1st edition Fiend Folio.
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168

Githyanki -- maybe like 3 or 4 creature models
    Astral Plane Tileset

Ahh yes... am reminded of the 1st edition Fiend Folio.
    I know, right? How can this game, almost 20 years later, still not have Githyanki? It borders on the criminal. If Beamdog does this, I could be tempted into having their babies. Squat little bristle-bearded babies.
    Prince_Raymond
  • SizSiz Member Posts: 11
    Well… I could use a Carrion Crawler and a Yuan-Ti abomination in future expansions :blush:
    Proont
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    Additional Animations for Placeables

I'd like to have a couple more animation slots for placeables, similar to the "customX" animations for creature models. Transition animations (like for "on2off") could be omitted for those slots.

DerpCityProont
  • functorfunctor Member Posts: 8
    Concerning enhanced weapon models

I have already tested the existing weapons. I am very happy with the new weapons “advanced looks”. I would however ask you to go slightly further.

For example, rapiers that you made all remain minuscule, while their true length is in fact 41 inch on average! It would be ideal to see true rapiers added to the model database, like in this mod, but with the new graphics of course.

A similar comment applies to scimitars: the original models are very short compared to real-life scimitars.

Oh, and there is something wrong with the coloured version when you press Tab: new gold tower shields and new weapons all end up looking white.
    ProontNostariel
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I'm liking the longer rapiers in the mod. They look like proper weapons you'd use in combat.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    More club appearances that look like rods. I ask because wands/rods are never likely to be made equippable, because of henchman AI for one thing, and it limits some classic items. Rod of lordly might and rod of terror for two. Rod of terror is supposed to be a melee weapon with a high DC fear effect, not something that sits in one's pack. Easy enough to simply call a club a rod... there just needs to be better appearances.
    Grizzled_DwarflordProont
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    Newbie Question Alert: After creating an account on steam, I subscribed to all the Beamdog content in the Steam Workshop to download and play on NWN:EE. For whatever reason, it won't download. Do I need to actually have Steam installed in order to download the content I have subscribed to?
  • KendaricKendaric Member Posts: 9
    A carrion crawler (NOT the 3rd Edition version though) would be nice to have, as would be some more beetle models (e.g. stag beetle).
    I'd also love to see a modified (i.e. shorter) version of the "tabard" robe parts available in chain & scale texture.
    edited September 2018
    I'm glad to report that after downloading and installing Steam on my machine, I was able to finally experience all the Beamdog content I had subscribed to. It was fun being able to interact with the updated Aribeth model in the redone Hall of Justice right up to the point where I crashed hard after exiting and reentering the area. Since then, I felt it best to unsubscribe from all the Beamdog content in the workshop and uninstall Steam from my PC. I'll just wait until Beamdog releases it directly on their website, so I can download it through the client. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    JuliusBorisov
    Could something be done about the obtrusive spell effects? Spellcasters have so many long lasting buffs in 3e that all spellcasters and their friends end up looking like walking christmas trees.

Some of the effects could have a much more subtle effect or be done with sound only e.g. Stoneskin and Barkskin etc.

Most of the long duration protection spells could only be briefly visible when activated. E.g. protection from elements being visible for a few seconds when you are hit with elemental damage.

Spells that last 1 round/lvl can be flashier of course, as they also tend to be more powerful.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Any feedback to this ^^^ ?
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    I'd like for there to be mitigation, or a toning down, but not a removal.  Remember, as annoying as these buff visuals are for us and our compatriots, they have some value when dealing with the enemy NPCs.  Maybe there's a StickyBuffVisuals option in there.  The thing, I'd still like for there to be some visuals, but it definitely needs the volume turned down from 11.
    ricoyungNostariel
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    They are also beneficial to yourself and your companions to know when something has worn off or been dispelled.   The VFX's can be replaced in the spell script easy enough if the module creator wishes them gone, replaced or toned down so I don't really see this as a major thing, I actually like most of them. 

Barkskin and the endure element line of spells could use some work in terms of appearance, I'm likely just to remove it's VFX or maybe add a custom content version of it at some point.
    DerpCityricoyungNostariel
    Concerning enemy spellcasters: how about a mouseover/targeting/examine function revealing their list of active spells rather than over the top visual effects? Perhaps involving a Spellcraft check?

Some spells indeed do need strong visual feedback, most of all damage shields: Elemental Shield, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Death Armor. Also Globes of Invulnerability and Spell Mantles. But those also have short durations. Ghostly Visage kind of implies a changed appearance as well. :)

The biggest offenders are all skins, elemental protections and Protection from Alignment that are always on.

I think Shield, Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil, all Elemental resistances, Protection from Spells, Spell Resistance and most other longer lasting protections could only be visualized briefly every time they are "activated" i.e. deflecting an attack or spell or absorbing damage.

Something basic like Shield would look really cool if it would actually deflect attacks with a clang rather than just be a persistent non-interactive ball around caster. That would also give you meaningful visual feedback in showing how often it actually makes a difference.
    ArtosPrince_Raymond
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    I'm on board with 1varangian on this one. I think that's spot on with the biggest offenders.

You could even address the stoneskin/barkskin by changing the sound FX of a hit to that of weapon hitting rock/bark. 
    Prince_Raymond
    edited February 2019
    I think the suggestions made by both @1varangian and @Artos totally rock. Pun intended. :wink:
    Might I suggest that in addition to the new sound FX, there could be a subtle, visual feedback effect such as pieces of bark or chips of stone flying from the affected creature being struck in combat. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    What would also be great is spellcasting animations holding a staff. It looks weird that it just disappears.

Proont
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I believe typically in D&D many spells require hands free for somatic components as well as using the proper materials and foci for the spell. NWN seems to simplify this so that players don't need to unequip held items and then equip them again after the spell was cast.

I think there are some feats that help characters use other items as a sort of foci or allow somatic components to be achieved with things like swords. It's a bit redundant with the default NWN mechanics, but it's generally a case of NWN giving people things for free in an unnoticeable way. The only thing missing from the "feat" is the visual of holding the items.
    Prince_RaymondProont
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2019
    Mapping for who don't use hak has become painful ,why not help them by simply adding new tilesets obtained by merging the existing ones?
    For example a new tileset could be "winter forest" obtained merging the forest tileset with rural winter one.
    This last example do not require artits work at all. So it could be easily made by beamdog employee.
    Enrich the game without spending any money.Seem a good deal.

Another important thing to add to the core game is the possibility to raise/lower the terrain in certain map,like forest tileset.
    Or place the forest at edge of the rock in rural tileset.A visual example:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/doa-cityrural-builder-base-forestcliffs-addon
    Doesn't seem at all an excessive request, but If you can't do this for wathever reason, at least give us the option to put some more graphic content into ovveride and make it SERVER SIDE. For how it work now if i put a simple re-skin,without any new model, of an exisisting tileset into the ovveride folder ,the players would not see that content anyway.

Please do not forget the users that don't use HAK for their modules.
    Players are tired to play with the same tilesets.
    Module creators need some fresh news to present to the players who, rightly, are getting bored playing the same scenarios.
    ricoyung
    You cannot have something downloaded yet not download it at the same time.
    SherincallZwerkulesdafenaProont
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 74
    RifleLeroy wrote: »
    Mapping for who don't use hak has become painful ,why not help them by simply adding new tilesets obtained by merging the existing ones?
    For example a new tileset could be "winter forest" obtained merging the forest tileset with rural winter one.
    This last example do not require artits work at all. So it could be easily made by beamdog employee.
    Enrich the game without spending any money.Seem a good deal.

Another important thing to add to the core game is the possibility to raise/lower the terrain in certain map,like forest tileset.
    Or place the forest at edge of the rock in rural tileset.A visual example:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/doa-cityrural-builder-base-forestcliffs-addon
    Doesn't seem at all an excessive request, but If you can't do this for wathever reason, at least give us the option to put some more graphic content into ovveride and make it SERVER SIDE. For how it work now if i put a simple re-skin,without any new model, of an exisisting tileset into the ovveride folder ,the players would not see that content anyway.

Please do not forget the users that don't use HAK for their modules.
    Players are tired to play with the same tilesets.
    Module creators need some fresh news to present to the players who, rightly, are getting bored playing the same scenarios.

Don't use overrides, they are bad and will show content that only you can see. Please use haks or, if it's a server, NWSync.

Thanks.
    ricoyung
    Zwerkules wrote: »
    Players are tired to play with the same tilesets. Module creators need some fresh news to present to the players who, rightly, are getting bored playing the same scenarios.

If they aren't bored enough to download a few custom content haks, they aren't bored enough yet.

Many server still don't use any haks.

Don't use overrides, they are bad and will show content that only you can see. Please use haks or, if it's a server, NWSync.

Thanks.

NWSync it's not much user friendly.
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    What's not user friendly about NWSync? I don't know if there are problems with setting it up, but for the players of a server it is super user friendly!
    ricoyung
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 74
    Players are tired to play with the same tilesets. Module creators need some fresh news to present to the players who, rightly, are getting bored playing the same scenarios.

If they aren't bored enough to download a few custom content haks, they aren't bored enough yet.

Thanks.

If you want custom content for everyone to use you must use haks. If you want content that only you want to see, you can use overrides.
    tfox
    edited March 2019
    dafena wrote: »

Thanks.

If you want custom content for everyone to use you must use haks. If you want content that ONLY YOU WANT TO SEE, you can use overrides.

I used to host many 2da through overrides folder and they were essential for the proper functioning of my pw,that was hak's free. I also remember other types of content hosted through ovveride (heads,cloaks)
    However i can't see the problem , my main request was to introduce new tilesets by combining the existing ones, something that is quite simple to achieve. Expand the ovveride funcionality was an alternative idea.
    So why we are discussing about ovveride?
    What's not user friendly about NWSync? I don't know if there are problems with setting it up, but for the players of a server it is super user friendly!

Im talking about setup. Not every admin is able to make it work.
    Post edited by RifleLeroy on
    You still have to download content in order to see it, whether haks or overrides. This is simply a limitation that arises from the laws of physics.

Game content is only sent as references, if the reference is to content that doesn't exist people don't see it, in the case of heads, your character appears headless to other players without the override.

A hak is a packaged override that a module can specifically associate with and require to play so everyone sees the same thing. An override is a hak that is automatically associated with ALL modules but not required to play, so not everyone sees the same content.

A serverside override only works when a server owns the information, where the client can't influence the calculation, and the server does it and only sends the response to the client. A client side override may also cause cheating and will usually end with your character being illegal and unable to play or deleted. Haks are the solution to the problems that overrides create.

To get new tiles that everyone sees Beamdog either has to force people to download new tiles in the data containers for the game, or a module has to require haks with new tiles.
    tfoxZwerkulesSylvus_Moonbow
    edited April 2019
    Who posted before me did not understand what was my request, his reply has been a post with technical explanations that were not necessary. I won't spend anymore time in further explanations.

A client side override may also cause cheating and will usually end with your character being illegal and unable to play or deleted. Haks are the solution to the problems that overrides create.

A part the terrorism about 2da, you should repeat this to the admins,and they are a lot, that use insert their modified 2da's into the override folder. This practice takes place since nwn came out.
    Haks are the solution to the problems that overrides create.

Is this a suggestion , a joke ,or i have misunderstood?
    do you really want that every server embrace the use of haks?