Skip to content

Beamdog Announces Axis & Allies Online!

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    DonCzirr wrote: »
    DonCzirr wrote: »
    @ Julius - will this come to IOS and Android as well ?

Right now it's only coming to Steam Early Access.

That's quite unfortunate.

For PC, Axis and Allies really can't compete with more detailed WW2 grand strategy games like Matrix Game's Strategic Command : War in Europe.

On the iPAD however - it would be a one of a kind entry for WW2 grand strategy.

Hopefully someone will rethink that decision in the near future ...

I’ll also say Matrix does not have the Brand recognition that Axis and Allies has.

A&A will sell on nastalogia alone.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I've never played before or even seen it played before, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Is this a remaster? I swear Axis and Allies was an existing game on PC.
    JuliusBorisov
    I've never played before or even seen it played before, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Is this a remaster? I swear Axis and Allies was an existing game on PC.

It was a couple of times.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    I must say that's not something I have expected. I thought Beamdog would specialize in cRPG games, also considering trends, games like POE1, POE2 or upcoming Disco Elysium, which also has this... classic feel, in a way.

Blizzard is making mobile games (I mean Diablo: Immortal here, not Hearthstone); BioWare is making a looter shooter; and now Beamdog is making a board game adaptation. I must say it's kinda discouraging. It's a personal opinion, really, but I really miss time when I know that I could observe studios A or B or Z and know that what whatever they release next will match my taste. It's gotten kinda chaotic these days.

Anyway, as I said, it's kinda personal opinion, so... yeah. I bet there will be some people that will try this game. I will wait for something else.
    Quite a good sum up of my feelings.
    If the game is good, why not. I do kinda dig board games as well - But I will not buy it for PC. I'd only buy these kind of games on my iPad.
    AmmarrealshempNostariel
    @JuliusBorisov Can you link the Steam page here once it's up please.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited February 2019
    I must say that's not something I have expected. I thought Beamdog would specialize in cRPG games, also considering trends, games like POE1, POE2 or upcoming Disco Elysium, which also has this... classic feel, in a way.

Blizzard is making mobile games (I mean Diablo: Immortal here, not Hearthstone); BioWare is making a looter shooter; and now Beamdog is making a board game adaptation. I must say it's kinda discouraging. It's a personal opinion, really, but I really miss time when I know that I could observe studios A or B or Z and know that what whatever they release next will match my taste. It's gotten kinda chaotic these days.

Anyway, as I said, it's kinda personal opinion, so... yeah. I bet there will be some people that will try this game. I will wait for something else.

@LavaDelVortel I hear you, but that is not correct to compare this choice with what is going on in BioWare and Blizzard.

Trent Oster always, since being a kid, had two favourite games, Dungeons & Dragons and Axis & Allies. This is the consequence of that. If you permit, I'd call Beamdog a group of geeks who do things that excite them. Axis & Allies (the board game) has been something very important for Trent for dozens of years.

In one of the interviews from many years ago Trent said he couldn't make a game that didn't "tick" him. I'd say that this is the only correct approach, and actually all the people who have played the game yet (eg, impressions shared at https://www.axisandallies.org/p/announcing-axis-and-allies-online/ ) have been feeling this love for the title Trent has.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/11/with-axis-allies-online-beamdog-goes-beyond-enhancing-old-dd-games/

“The main reason Beamdog is making Axis & Allies Online is because our CEO, Trent Oster, has a passion for the board game, and he’s shared that with the team — we’re all hooked now!” said Sarah Dawson, the marketing & PR lead for Beamdog, in an email interview today. “He played Axis & Allies with family and friends growing up, and was beyond excited when he saw an opportunity to make his favorite board game into a digital adaptation — Axis & Allies Online. The Axis & Allies license is held by Hasbro’s Avalon Hill — which is connected to Wizards of the Coast. Beamdog has a partnership with Wizards of the Coast for our Dungeons & Dragons enhanced editions, so Trent was able to approach them about an Axis & Allies online game.”

deltago wrote: »

It'll be up only at the release.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    spacejawskanisathaDerpCityJFK
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Dozens of years?

Confirmed Trent is 24 years old :smiley:

I like the idea of Beamdog making product’s that appeal to their geekier side, whether that be high fantasy or reimagining board games. We all know that the IE games wouldn’t support Beamdog forever and they want to create new things instead of being stuck on the one property forever, one which they will struggle to create anything new for a. Negative fan feedback and b. Restrictions with the license holder which may even become more stringent if a Baldur’s Gate 3 is being developed by someone (seems likely).

I must admit though I’m a bit jealous of Trent being able to muscle his way into properties he loved as a kid and work out how to bring them to fans. Does he by any chance like Farscape?

I like to imagine that they first sent a nice letter asking for a property and if they get refused Trent visits them to convince them in person - with a Claymore.. =P

Though I wonder if we get another P&P RPG conversion from Beamdog.. Maybe Traveler?

They made Fantasy games, a WW2 game... Make a great SciFi game next :D
    spacejawsJuliusBorisovTorgrimmerDerpCity
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    It's not really a surprise, I remember rumours last year on this forum, saying the new Beamdog game would be axis and allies. There were people expecting an announcement of Axis and Allies, when there was that live-stream with the (disappointing, considering the hype about that live-stream) announcement of the Dice, Camera, Action! portrait pack.
    kanisathaSilverstar
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2019
    Axis & Allies Online will be coming soon to Steam Early Access.

Will there be a GOG release, eventually?

Torgrimmer[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Axis & Allies Online will be coming soon to Steam Early Access.

Will there be a GOG release, eventually?

No information at this time.
    Torgrimmer[Deleted User]
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    HA! Called it! Knew this would be the "new game" announcement.

Oh well. Better than a new NwN:EE module from my standpoint I suppose. Already expressed my disappointment based on my prediction of this months ago, so no need to repeat. No longer hold any expectations of a true game from Beamdog.

And I may still end up picking it up after release depending on how it looks and plays. Used to love playing the boardgame back in college a very long time ago (and still have my copy of the boardgame). But I would only play single-player, and these types of games end up disappointing in their single-player mode.
    realshemp
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

@LavaDelVortel I hear you, but that is not correct to compare this choice with what is going on in BioWare and Blizzard.

Trent Oster always, since being a kid, had two favourite games, Dungeons & Dragons and Axis & Allies. This is the consequence of that. If you permit, I'd call Beamdog a group of geeks who do things that excite them. Axis & Allies (the board game) has been something very important for Trent for dozens of years.

In one of the interviews from many years ago Trent said he couldn't make a game that didn't "tick" him. I'd say that this is the only correct approach, and actually all the people who have played the game yet (eg, impressions shared at https://www.axisandallies.org/p/announcing-axis-and-allies-online/ ) have been feeling this love for the title Trent has.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/11/with-axis-allies-online-beamdog-goes-beyond-enhancing-old-dd-games/

“The main reason Beamdog is making Axis & Allies Online is because our CEO, Trent Oster, has a passion for the board game, and he’s shared that with the team — we’re all hooked now!” said Sarah Dawson, the marketing & PR lead for Beamdog, in an email interview today. “He played Axis & Allies with family and friends growing up, and was beyond excited when he saw an opportunity to make his favorite board game into a digital adaptation — Axis & Allies Online. The Axis & Allies license is held by Hasbro’s Avalon Hill — which is connected to Wizards of the Coast. Beamdog has a partnership with Wizards of the Coast for our Dungeons & Dragons enhanced editions, so Trent was able to approach them about an Axis & Allies online game.”

deltago wrote: »

It'll be up only at the release.

Ok I can appreciate this, and as such cut Beamdog some slack on this particular project. But I will still hold out for a true, original, new, full-length RPG from Beamdog before I can acknowledge them as a bonafide game developer.
    realshemp
  • ArtosArtos Member Posts: 16
    I've loved Axis and Allies since being a kid. My dad even made my brother and I a special table that would perfectly fit the giant board and all the pieces. I absolutely dig that Trent is bringing this to modern times. Here I've had to endure this emulator on Archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/Axis_and_Allies_-_Win95_Game_-_HasbroEng

Can't wait for the reboot!
    JuliusBorisovSkatanlolienrealshemp
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    is there any website that describes the game to me?

I'm aware of games like Risk! (too simple and luck driven) and Diplomacy (just perfection for my taste). where would I put AA in this range?
    Skatan
    Check out the video (of the board game) I posted on the first page, - it should give an example of what it should feel like.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Will this game have a Battle Royale mode?

:p
    anastiel
  • BoracBorac Member Posts: 15
    I love Axis and Allies! I have played it countless times. So for me this is an instant buy. That being said. Have you considered making the 1940 global edition? I think its far superior to the original one, and it allows for more players. Also will the AI be challenging? I have played A&A on the Triple A engine and find that one very lacking, AI wise that is.
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]kanisatharealshemp
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Is this the reason why David Gaider left?
  • AronAron Member Posts: 94
    Gratulations Beamdog with this unexpected very exciting news! I'm a huge boardgame fan and Axis and Allies is one of my favorites! I'm very much looking forward to this!
    I hope it will be possible to pre-order this soon. Then I can play this game with my friends.

Might have been asked before, but is it possible to save a progressing game that is online?
    Skatan
    Illustair wrote: »

No.
    Aron wrote: »
    Gratulations Beamdog with this unexpected very exciting news! I'm a huge boardgame fan and Axis and Allies is one of my favorites! I'm very much looking forward to this!
    I hope it will be possible to pre-order this soon. Then I can play this game with my friends.

Might have been asked before, but is it possible to save a progressing game that is online?

We're looking forward to it as well!

The game progress will be automatically saved (if it's an offline game - on your PC, if it's an online game - on our server).
    SkatanAron
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @JuliusBorisov What's the end of life plan for the game?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov What's the end of life plan for the game?
    Senior games' home
    Ludwig_IITarotRedhand
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2019
    Sorry BD but this is just not my cup of meat. Three things I have zero interest in - online, strategy and wargames. Having said that I wish you well and hope it sells well.

One thing did surprise me though. I would have thought that such an announcement would have warranted a special livestream, even if it was only a one-off.

TR
    AedanAmmar
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Illustair wrote: »

Well kinda. In the early testing phase he completly crushed Trent at the game and Trent got so enraged that he fired him... u_u

Honestly, I'm not sure if Gaider realy wanted to stay for a long while, since I assume he was told the current plans of the company.
    The only other possibility would be that they where in the planning stage of another game that was scrapped for unknown reasons.
    kanisathaIllustair
This discussion has been closed.