Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @subtledoctor: That's a good point. Even though I don't view the Native American thing as a personal demerit for Warren, I recognize that it's a political weakness that could be exploited in the general election, and that's a legitimate reason to oppose her nomination. I might not mind it, but I know other people do.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @subtledoctor: That's a good point. Even though I don't view the Native American thing as a personal demerit for Warren, I recognize that it's a political weakness that could be exploited in the general election, and that's a legitimate reason to oppose her nomination. I might not mind it, but I know other people do.

It's a political weakness because Trump keeps calling her "Pocahontas", which serves to reduce the entire Native American population of this country to nothing but a trope based on a Disney musical, and when she announced he said he would see her on the "trail", a direct reference to the Trail of Tears, which is not some noble historical moment, but a genocide. You tell me which is worse.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

It's a political weakness because Trump keeps calling her "Pocahontas", which serves to reduce the entire Native American population of this country to nothing but a trope based on a Disney musical, and when she announced he said he would see her on the "trail", a direct reference to the Trail of Tears, which is not some noble historical moment, but a genocide. You tell me which is worse.

You're assuming that it matters which is worse. It's about psychology not 'right and wrong'. Why pick a weaker candidate just to prove a point? Didn't the Democrats already do that once???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm not sure what to think of that trail comment. It's not normal to put "trail" in quotes like that--it comes off as rather deliberate, particularly because of his Pocahontas comments--but I wouldn't think Trump would be history-savvy enough to know the reference.
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure what to think of that trail comment. It's not normal to put "trail" in quotes like that--it comes off as rather deliberate, particularly because of his Pocahontas comments--but I wouldn't think Trump would be history-savvy enough to know the reference.

His favorite President is Andrew Jackson. But the point is, his "Pocahontas" nickname isn't popular with his crowds just because it's making fun of Warren, it's because it does that and is ALSO transparently racist. I see the same kind of glee in the crowd when he says it I saw in those two guys I encountered in the supermarket who were saying the ND pipeline protesters should go "back to their tee-pees".

If you grew up around racists (I did), you understand how they talk. And it's always this kind of lowest common denominator "joke" they think is the height of comedic brilliance. It's the reason I know the recent story about that meteorologist who called MLK "Martin Luther Coon Junior" on air wasn't a mistake. It's because that's how he (or more likely his parents) talked in private for years.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2019
    Whys Warren get crucified for at best being wrong about being native American and at worst intentionally trying to get a half a foot up by claiming native heritage.

Trump's whole life is a lie. The dude pretended to be self made and a good businessman. He inherited $400 million earning equivalent of 400k salary at 3yrs old or whatever and he has been an abject failure at business but he's pretended to be successful.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Yeah I agree just making a point about the ridiculousness of people who say what Warren did is worse from what Trump does everyday - pretending and lying to achieve alternative reality.

But yeah if Warren misplays pochahontas that ain't great though she is often on the side of workers and anti-trust etc more than others. She'd be a fine vice prez.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2019
    Of course - but that's not the point. The point is that it makes me think Harris or Sanders or Booker or Klobuchar would be a better candidate than Warren.

This. With the Democratic field being not only large, but generally pretty strong... it's only natural for people to start figuring out how/why they want to winnow the field. Truth be told, every candidate has problems.

Warren's issue with claiming to be a Native American.
    Booker is tied to big pharma
    Kamala Harris has some warts in her DA and AG days
    Bernie Sanders is old (and an also-ran who has a few issues with PoC)
    Beto O'Rourke has a pretty moderate voting record
    Tulsi Gabbard adopted some very questionable positions in her past
    Gilibrand seems to be a political opportunist (ala Clinton)
    Biden is pretty old, and might have been, ah... "handsy"
    Julian Castro is... someone

All of that is pessimistic in the extreme. Booker and O'Rourke are also super charismatic. Warren has great policy positions. Sanders has a storied history of being on the right side of almost all issues, Biden has be a faithful public servant his whole life, Harris has been a strong progressive senator, etc, etc

Warren has to fall somewhere on that list. For me (and many others) - it isnt the towards the top.

FWIW, this field of candidates looks to be one of the stronger ones in any primary I can remember. I know I'm biased, but it seems a hell of a lot stronger than 2016's republican primary where the runner up was one of the least liked politicians in the country (Cruz).
    edited February 2019
    I agree Warren is too damaged by it to win, but that's the rub. Anyone who thinks ANY Democratic candidate isn't going to have some similar inane controversy completely envelope them in 2020 is absolutely delusional. If Fred Rogers was running against Donald Trump, the media would find some way to find them "equally troubling", probably by saying that he didn't set King Friday down gently enough after getting done with the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sanders/Warren?
    edited February 2019
    Coast Guard Officer Plotted to Kill Democrats and Journalists

Christopher Paul Hasson, 49, of Silver Spring, Maryland, is alleged to be a white supremacist who had a hit list that included prominent Democratic politicians as well as several journalists from CNN and MSNBC.

The self-described white nationalist who was arrested in Maryland last week was plotting to kill a long list of prominent journalists and Democratic politicians, as well as professors, judges and what he called “leftists in general,” federal prosecutors said in a court filing on Tuesday.

Court documents say Hasson espoused extremist and white supremacist views and allege that he relied on the manifesto of Anders Breivik, a Norwegian who was convicted in 2011 of two terror attacks that killed 77 people.

The government says Hasson also stockpiled steroids and human growth hormone "to increase his ability to conduct attacks," consistent with the directions in Breivik's manifesto.
    "The defendant is a domestic terrorist, bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct," prosecutors wrote.

5c6de04224000093024b5e15.png?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

Another right wing terrorist....

In recent weeks, Hasson developed a spreadsheet of targets that included top Democratic congressional leaders and media personalities. The list includes "JOEY," what prosecutors say is a reference to former Rep. Joe Scarborough who works for MSNBC; "cortez," an alleged reference to freshman U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-New York; and "Sen blumen jew" presumably Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

When I originally saw it, I didn't interpret it as a deliberate historical reference to the Trail of Tears - but as a more general cowboys and indians reference to reinforce the use of Pocahontas. The original tweet didn't say "trail", but TRAIL - which I thought was just Trump hitting you over the head to make sure you get the joke.
    edited February 2019
    Related to the coast guard killer I just mentioned and the magabomber Caesar Sayoc...

Number of hate groups in US hits all-time high and Trump to blame: watchdog

https://nypost.com/2019/02/20/number-of-hate-groups-in-us-hits-all-time-high-and-trump-to-blame-watchdog/
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited February 2019

Christopher Paul Hasson, 49, of Silver Spring, Maryland, is alleged to be a white supremacist who had a hit list that included prominent Democratic politicians as well as several journalists from CNN and MSNBC.

The self-described white nationalist who was arrested in Maryland last week was plotting to kill a long list of prominent journalists and Democratic politicians, as well as professors, judges and what he called “leftists in general,” federal prosecutors said in a court filing on Tuesday.

Court documents say Hasson espoused extremist and white supremacist views and allege that he relied on the manifesto of Anders Breivik, a Norwegian who was convicted in 2011 of two terror attacks that killed 77 people.

The government says Hasson also stockpiled steroids and human growth hormone "to increase his ability to conduct attacks," consistent with the directions in Breivik's manifesto.
    "The defendant is a domestic terrorist, bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct," prosecutors wrote.

In recent weeks, Hasson developed a spreadsheet of targets that included top Democratic congressional leaders and media personalities. The list includes "JOEY," what prosecutors say is a reference to former Rep. Joe Scarborough who works for MSNBC; "cortez," an alleged reference to freshman U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-New York; and "Sen blumen jew" presumably Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.

Couldn't be a REAL right-wing terrorist. There's not enough guns in that pic.

He's only got 4 semi-auto rifles, 2 bolt action rifles, 1 rifle/shotgun I can't identify, 2 shotguns, 4 semi-auto pistols, and 2 revolvers, for a total of 15 guns in that pic.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited February 2019
    Maria Caffrey a scientist who refused to take out references to human-related effects on Climate Change has been let go from her job. In a January episode of Reveal, Caffrey spoke about the pressure she experienced during the editing of the parks report. She said supervisors at the park service yelled at her and threatened to kill the report or remove her name if she would not agree to the changes. Some told her they could lose their jobs or be transferred if she didn’t capitulate.

Caffrey’s career may have taken a hit, but her science is publicly available to show how much climate change threatens parks with permanent flooding and storm damage, and how reducing greenhouse gas emissions could reduce the damage.

A Republican county commissioner in Massachusetts is refusing to apologize after making anti-LGBT remarks because he says it’s what President Donald Trump would do. The Cape Cod Times reported that Commissioner Ron Beaty has been called on to resign after he posted a poll on Twitter that asked if gay politicians are too biased to represent straight constituents.

“Generally speaking, are gay politicians too self-absorbed and self-centered to adequately represent ALL of their constituents in a fair and equitable manner?” Beaty wondered in his tweet. Less than a week earlier, two gay politicians — state Sen. Julian Cyr (D) and state Rep. Sarah Peake (D) — were sworn in to office.

Beaty, however, defiantly refused to apologize. “I pretty much only do what President Donald Trump does relative to his social media postings,” Beaty wrote to the Times in an email. “If it is good enough for our president, whom I support 100 percent, then it is good enough for me as well.” The paper noted that Beaty has previously been incarcerated for “threatening to kill President George H. W. Bush and other politicians in the early 1990s.” What a doof.
    Quickblade wrote: »

Couldn't be a REAL right-wing terrorist. There's not enough guns in that pic.

He's only got 4 semi-auto rifles, 2 bolt action rifles, 1 rifle/shotgun I can't identify, 2 shotguns, 4 semi-auto pistols, and 2 revolvers, for a total of 15 guns in that pic.

Yeah, seriously right? Where's the grenade launcher? Amateur hour...
    This is second plot to assassinate mutiple people in Democratic leadership positions uncovered this year. The first time the guy mailed actual bombs that happened to be faulty. This time it was an actual armed forces member with his own personal arsenal. Who's to say the third time it doesn't succeed??
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    This is second plot to assassinate mutiple people in Democratic leadership positions uncovered this year. The first time the guy mailed actual bombs that happened to be faulty. This time it was an actual armed forces member with his own personal arsenal. Who's to say the third time it doesn't succeed??

I was pleasantly surprised that Obama survived his time in office. Though their is a wikipedia page on threats.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I agree Warren is too damaged by it to win, but that's the rub. Anyone who thinks ANY Democratic candidate isn't going to have some similar inane controversy completely envelope them in 2020 is absolutely delusional. If Fred Rogers was running against Donald Trump, the media would find some way to find them "equally troubling", probably by saying that he didn't set King Friday down gently enough after getting done with the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

King Friday is the problem. Rodgers is obviously a monarchist.

I think the one you can't identify is a single-barrel 20-gauge shotgun.

WARNING: Tucker Carlson potty mouth

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited February 2019
    BillyYank wrote: »

King Friday is the problem. Rodgers is obviously a monarchist.

I think the one you can't identify is a single-barrel 20-gauge shotgun.

Could be, I was thinking .410.
    Ammar wrote: »

I was pleasantly surprised that Obama survived his time in office. Though their is a wikipedia page on threats.

It is kind of what an entire federal agency is tasked for doing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hold, can I back this up a moment for a question? Is there a difference between having Native American ancestry, and "being" Native American? My great great grandfather was Cherokee on my mother's side, and Scottish on my father's side. If someone asks about my ancestry, my typically response is that "I'm Native American and Scottish", not "I have Native American and Scottish ancestry." Is there really a difference?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Hold, can I back this up a moment for a question? Is there a difference between having Native American ancestry, and "being" Native American? My great great grandfather was Cherokee on my mother's side, and Scottish on my father's side. If someone asks about my ancestry, my typically response is that "I'm Native American and Scottish", not "I have Native American and Scottish ancestry." Is there really a difference?

I was born in America so I'm a Native American as far as I'm concerned.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2019

Just lol. I don't watch Fox News but i'm still surprised Tucker Carlson got mad at that. He should have thrown it right back in his face like the ridiculous line of attack that it is. There isn't a major media company out there not owned by a millionaire or billionaire. Washington Post is owned by Amazon's CEO. The Mexican monopolist Carlos Slim was the largest stakeholder in the New York Times until last year. Is he prepared to say every major media organization lacks credibility due to it's funding? Or is just him, because he doesn't like what he's saying? Nah, let's just get mad instead. This is why I don't watch cable news.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    A Native American described it to me this way, you are Native American only if a tribe claims you. Ancestry is not enough to make that claim. By her definition, you could say you have ancestry but you are not Native American.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Just lol. I don't watch Fox News but i'm still surprised Tucker Carlson got mad at that. He should have thrown it right back in his face like the ridiculous line of attack that it is. There isn't a major media company out there not owned by a millionaire or billionaire. Washington Post is owned by Amazon's CEO. The Mexican monopolist Carlon Slim was the largest stakeholder in the New York Times until last year. Is he prepared to say every major media organization lacks credibility due to it's funding? Or is just him, because he doesn't like what he's saying? Nah, let's just get mad instead. This is why I don't watch cable news.

It was entertaining. The line about millionaires funded by billionaires was obviously put forward to annoy Carlson, but there were other points made during the interview as well - like the US having the ability to reduce offshore tax havens if they really wanted to and the fact that tax rates for the rich were far higher during the hey-day of US capitalism.

What impressed me was how cool Bregman kept. It's one thing delivering a prepared speech, even to the sort of audience attending Davos, but the ability to maintain control and think on his feet in that sort of interview situation seemed a bit surprising for a historian.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Well during the hey-day of US capitalism capital was a lot less mobile than it is today, many industries and wealthy folks didn't really have a choice but to pay it where as now, they often do. But yeah Bregman obviously got the better of Carlson here with that remark.