Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    cropped-ok-i-love-this.jpg

Seriously, this sounds really cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That might be cool. I'm kinda on the fence.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    It does make bards more useful if they know Cure Wounds spells.
    edited February 2019
  • DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 76
    @subtledoctor Well, consider that if they have a completely different approach to learning magic than wizards, one based on musicality, rhythm and poetry, that approach could also make them open to channeling divine style magic through song and rhythm rather than prayer/deities.
    Since there are no "bard schools", no written guides on how to channel divine magic through music rather than prayer, and it probably being a personal and unique experience for each bard to actually learn how do so, it makes sense that it is also more difficult for them to do than learning how to cast arcane magic - which is still semi-sort-of done like a wizard. Hence the higher spell level slot requirements for the divine spells.

Would that explanation make sense themewise?
    I really like the idea of bards getting a smattering of everything. The new idea doesn't sound bad, but I am very much having feelings of "If it isn't broke...". I happen to really enjoy where you have bards right now (except the meistersinger has WEIRD proficiencies).
    @subtledoctor Can thieves use axes? I don't recall that being a thing, but y'know, I haven't played a straight thief in a long time. It also strikes me as really odd that staves are available, but two handed style isn't.
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    @subtledoctor
    It does make sense to me that bards would/could be keen toward holy/unholy hymns and superficially understand the underlying, hence the +1 spell slot.
    It could be applied to spells like doom or chaotic commands: those could be a recitation, and bards should be talented in that area, inspiring people or shunning them to balance a lack of direct godly link (opposed to more conduit-of-power spells).
    edited February 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited February 2019
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    This looks like a good baseline. Would high INT with SoB increase memorisation slots then?
    Seems good, bards should be able to cast a good chunk of spells baseline.
    -1 to all LVL for more martial kits (but still access to 7th LVL I think, since they are already limited in that area).
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I take it that the Fighter/Mage Bards (Skald? Blade?) actually get F/M THAC0 & weapon prof access? Would they get minor Thief skills?
    edited February 2019
    @subtledoctor So, under the new rules, what class combo would Meistersinger be?
    Interesting, I've never really understood why there were such limitations on combat abilities... I can spin just once a day? And after that? Kind of sea sickness...?

The critical misses penalty is perhaps a little harsh, but well...should not be so often in the long run.
    edited February 2019
    Imo -2/5 rounds is good since it can be applied several times/rounds.

Perhaps limiting it to 2 or 3 stack to keep it on par with spells?

Should consider the ramp up you want for it, I'd rather have a 50 or 40% chance than a save though, since enemies should be able to keep their calm but you should be a decent combatant by then and not just a show man
    edited February 2019
    50% no more than once/round and stacking sound good no? Bards are gamblers after all
    @subtledoctor Would making every bard a multiclass potential make all the special bard reactions in SoD become inaccesible? When I played through with a Herald, I could not select any of the bard specific dialogue or quest choices.
    @subtledoctor I can only recall 2 off the top of my head. There is a noblewoman in Baldur's Gate in one of the top rooms of the 3 old kegs (I think, it was the name) who a bard can charm an expensive necklace out of by declaring love for her. There is also a quest with singing stones in the first map after leaving the city that has some flavor dialogue for bards. But I haven't made it through SoD in awhile.