Skip to content

[MOD] Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options (for all EE games patched to v2.0 or higher)

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I have combed the game executable for more configuration options recently and found several potential entries. Not all of them sound all that useful, so I'd like to hear your opinion as to whether I should include them or not.

1. Expire Trap Highlights
    Controls whether highlighting of detected traps should disappear after a while again (after 26 seconds, to be exact).

2. Disable Casting Glows
    Controls whether spell school-specific casting animations (the ones used while chanting) are shown.

3. Show Learnable Spells
    Controls whether a green tint is shown for spell scrolls that can be scribed by mages.

4. Render Search Map
    Controls whether holding down SHIFT will show an overlay of the static search map associated with the current area.

5. Render Dynamic Search Map
    Controls whether holding down CTRL will show an overlay of the search map regions that differ from the static search map of the area, such as blocked doorways or the personal space of creatures.

6. Render Travel Regions
    Controls whether holding down TAB will show an icon for map transition regions. (Appears to be shown only for map edges where you can trigger world map travel. It's rather unspectacular actually.)
    FlashburnGusindaGrammarsaladlolien
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Ain't 6 for indoor/dungeon travel already included in the TAB icon overlay?

I'm not sure what 4 and 5 mean. Does it show where creatures can walk? If so, that'd be nice. I'm sometimes a little confused as to where I can or cannot walk, especially with ruins like Ulcaster and Undercity.
    "Render Search Map" does pretty much the same as the search map overlay of NI's area viewer:

The overlays rendered by activated "Render Dynamic Search Map". They are updated in real time and also work in the area map overview, so you could track the location of all creatures on the map in real time.

"Render Travel Regions" can be seen as an addition to "Show Triggers On Tab", which already shows icons for all kinds of interactive regions. The former does the same for map transitions:

lefreutGusinda
  • d2freakd2freak Member Posts: 31
    How about a toggle for "Enhanced Path Search"?

From my testing, it works perfectly on EE 2.5 and is a huge improvement.

Also perhaps a toggle to max out (400000) the path search nodes?

Or, a toggle simply named "improved path finding" that sets those 2 values simultaneously?
    d2freak said:
    I can probably do that. Do you know what this option does exactly?

Also perhaps a toggle to max out (400000) the path search nodes? Or, a toggle simply named "improved path finding" that sets those 2 values simultaneously?
    I don't think that can be realized without interfering with user-defined values which are set in baldur.lua directly, since I'd have to define a "default" value for the unchecked state of this option too.
    argent77 said:
    d2freak said:
    Also perhaps a toggle to max out (400000) the path search nodes? Or, a toggle simply named "improved path finding" that sets those 2 values simultaneously?
    I don't think that can be realized without interfering with user-defined values which are set in baldur.lua directly, since I'd have to define a "default" value for the unchecked state of this option too.

Yes, it recalculates the walking path every so often. This helps when people split up into different directions, because they will only do so momentarily and then return to the best path. From my testing, it also seems to make characters move aside temporarily so that other NPCs can move past them in a much better fashion.
    Here is a thread where it's explained that it is disabled by default only because of not crippling performance on Android and iOS: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33832/raise-the-default-value-of-pathfinding

About the path search nodes, they are also low because of the same reason (see above thread). I understand what you mean that you'd have to define a default. But Beamdog already seem to define 32000 as default. Obviously, if you change the value yourself, you put it to 400000 (that's the BG2 default - if the game decided you had a good computer at the time). Otherwise you'd leave it to 32000. Also, I saw a developer say that if you put 400001 in there, it would revert to 32000 silently. So it's the engines default for sure. So maybe, if a checkbox is ON, it can be 400000 and if off, revert to 32000?

The options could maybe be named:
    "Increased Path Search Nodes" -> set to 400000
    "Enhanced Pathfinding" -> set SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','1')

Or combine them into one setting, with a warning that it could decrease performance. I don't notice any lag though, so i think it's just an issue on mobiles.
    Would it potentially work as a slider?
    Thels said:
    Would it potentially work as a slider?
    A slider would theoretically be possible, but I don't think there is any space left where I could add it. Unfortunately sliders and any other kinds of controls (except checkboxes) can't be added to scrollable areas.

Would changing the value help prevent characters getting stuck inside of one another?

During my most recent playthrough, it happened occasionally that two (and at one time even three) characters moved into each other's selection circle. Whenever that happened, they'd both be stuck, unable to move, until somehow, randomly, one of them managed to escape the other's selection circle.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @d2freak Your comment here was caught by the forum's automated spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2019
    d2freak said:
    argent77 said:
    d2freak said:
    Yes, it recalculates the walking path every so often. This helps when people split up into different directions, because they will only do so momentarily and then return to the best path. From my testing, it also seems to make characters move aside temporarily so that other NPCs can move past them in a much better fashion.
    Here is a thread where it's explained that it is disabled by default only because of not crippling performance on Android and iOS: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33832/raise-the-default-value-of-pathfinding

Ah yes, I remember that discussion. Adding the option "Enhanced Path Search" should be no problem then. About raising path nodes by an on/off switch might be more difficult to implement. I'll have to test it before I can say more.
    d2freak
    @argent77

How is the testing going?
    edited March 2019
    I haven't done much modding lately due to an illness. It's still on my to-do list though.
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    @argent77 Hi! Just finished russiuan translation for this mod. Take it
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    And could you, please, share Frame Rate till 60 fps? Also, it seems, that this opton doesn't work at all
    edited March 2019
    Thank you for the translation!

Expanding the frame rate slider to support 60 fps shouldn't be a problem.

As noted in the readme, this option is still experimental, since it doesn't work under all circumstances. You shouldn't change it in a running game and you have to disable "More confirmation prompts".
    argent77 wrote: »
    I haven't done much modding lately due to an illness. It's still on my to-do list though.

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon!
    Grammarsalad
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited March 2019
    The string "Sneak Attack: Crippling Strike (X)" is hardcoded (i.e., it's not in ENGINEST.2da), right?

You can notice this if you add opcode #318 (param2 = 1) to BACKSTAB.spl........ If you hit an UNDEAD, that string shows up in the combat log.....
    The string is actually a mix of two strrefs (listed in enginest.2da) and hardcoded parts.

Sneak Attack: STRREF_FEEDBACK_SNEAK_ATTACK (=103242 in BG2EE)
    Crippling Strike: STRREF_FEEDBACK_CRIPPLING_STRIKE (=103241 in BG2EE)
    The damage value appears to be hardcoded.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I was checking your mod and I admit I'm kinda confused about one thing.

If I don't install your mod, to have druidic spells with ranger while dual classing to cleric I have to actually touch the .ini of the game.

So it's either no druid spells, or druid spells.

But...

When installing your mod you give us an option named "limit the druidic spells to level 3 when using ranger\cleric". What does that mean?

Arthas wrote: »
    I was checking your mod and I admit I'm kinda confused about one thing.

If I don't install your mod, to have druidic spells with ranger while dual classing to cleric I have to actually touch the .ini of the game.

So it's either no druid spells, or druid spells.

But...

When installing your mod you give us an option named "limit the druidic spells to level 3 when using ranger\cleric". What does that mean?
    Not exactly. The option "Cleric Ranger Spells" in the baldur.lua is the same option this mod adds to the in-game options screen. Setting it will limit the druidic spell selection for cleric/rangers up to level 3 (EE default). Clearing this option will allow a cleric/ranger to use druidic spell up to level 7, just like in the classic games.
    Arthas
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v2.4

This is a bugfix release that fixes a compatibility issue with the option "Expire Trap Highlights" if one of Lefreut's Enhanced UI mods is installed. There is no need to reinstall the mod if version 2.3 installed successfully on your system.

Changelog:
    • Fixed a compatibility issue with "Lefreut Enhanced UI" in option "Expire Trap Highlights"
    • Fixed several typos in the readme
    AerakarFlashburnGusindaGrammarsalad
    edited November 2019
    Hello,
    your latest release has no setup.exe
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Just rename one from another mod, preferably one that uses a recent version of weidu.
    Arthas
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    @Arthas It has, maybe you AV remove it locally?
    Arthas
    edited November 2019
    I don't have antivirus because I find them useless. But thanks for telling. : p

@ALIEN : discovered what the issue was. I downloaded the source code -.-
    Post edited by Arthas on
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2019
    Are there any known compatibility issues with SCS v32 (which tweaks the difficulty setting UI)?
    sjrjr
    Are there any known compatibility issues with SCS v32 (which tweaks the difficulty setting UI)?

The two mods should work together without issues. They are both modifying different aspects of the UI.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited December 2019
    (Cheats are toggleable according to the readme. This would have been better for me to have in the main post, but thankee!)

For EET, does this mod allow toggling cheats?