Skip to content

If you could change one thing about the Baldurs Gate games....

1235»

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Cap strength at 18, eliminate stealing from shops, no redistributing stat points during character generation, allow sorcerers and shamans to multiclass, give shamans the druid stronghold, let mages put pips in weapon styles.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Shamans should have their own stronghold. The druid's one is related to the druid's hierarchy and a shaman wouldn't fit in it. But yeah, better than nothing.

The same thing goes for monks, barbarians and blackguards: they should have their own strongholds as they don't quite fit in the fighter's one.
    ThacoBellBalrog99StummvonBordwehrZaghoul
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    Party size increased to 7, 8 or 9! That would be awesome. This idea was surely discussed in the past at various forums. Can someone direct me to discussions about how much manpower it would take to update the coding of BG2 in order to increase party size by 1 or more?
    ThacoBellmegamike15
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    More dialogue tree options based on ability checks, enabling more non-combat based quest resolutions.

Bhaal returning at the end of ToB, possibly even as an ally briefly before the final confrontation or accomodation. "MELISSAN, YOUR TREACHERY HAS BEEN FORESEEN. NOW IN THIS PLACE OF MURDER, ONE MUST FALL AND ONE MUST RISE." Always seemed a little weak that we never really get the chance to look upon the face of our father at the end... especially after all that killing!
    Grond0Zaghoul
  • ThanatosZeroThanatosZero Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2019
    James_M wrote: »
    Party size increased to 7, 8 or 9! That would be awesome. This idea was surely discussed in the past at various forums. Can someone direct me to discussions about how much manpower it would take to update the coding of BG2 in order to increase party size by 1 or more?

GemRB, a recreation of the infinity engine allows it, but GemRB is still under development.
    And most unfortunate, it isn't compatible with the Enhanced Editions.

More work and analysis world be required.
    If Beamdog was to share the source code of the EEs to the modding scene for free, GemRB would be able to support and execute the EE assets, much quicker and more fast.
    Without it, they will need longer. Eventually they would try to emulate it.
    If they are sucessful?
    That depends on their motivation.
    Timbo0o0o0
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2019
    have the way end of round and auto pause with the end of round related to the bard song working like in not EE and also having the improved bard song aoe larger than how it is now.
    in the original game having the autopause on end of round on i could easily have my bard sing and attack, in EE is a nightmare to do it. and even if i agree that the aoe of the original improved song, the whole area, was too wide and allowed lame tactics like to have the bard, or even multiple bard mislead clones, sing and stack the effects while really far at now is not possible to have the song affect both the mlee fighters and the ranged ones/spellcasters at the same time. also i don't like that now is not possible to stack improver songs even if sung by multiple bards. multiple spellcasters casting the same save or else spells improve the chance to have it working, multiple fighters attacking boost the damage, and they can use multiple hla like gww. multiple bards singing waste their time...

( ok different songs work, is possible to have a skald and a bard with improved song sing and having the effects stack, but i actually had in the original game multiple bards, keto and haer dalis, imoen eekeepered to bard and haer dalis, charname blade and haer dalis).

in the original game i like to play bards and haer dalis is often with me, in EE they are still useful characters, but i have lost much of my interest in playing them.

EDIT: doubling the aoe of the improved song would probably be fine, to have the song working on every toon in the sight range of the bard would be even better, if a bard can see a toon probably also some enemy can see the bard and the exploit of having the bard hidden in an other room of the dungeon would be completely prevented.

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited March 2019
    Triple Dual Classes. This is allowed in PnP and makes human builds alot more interesting and fun.
    gorgonzolaGrond0
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Jan Jansen should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.
    gorgonzola
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    More dialogue tree options based on ability checks, enabling more non-combat based quest resolutions.

Bhaal returning at the end of ToB, possibly even as an ally briefly before the final confrontation or accomodation. "MELISSAN, YOUR TREACHERY HAS BEEN FORESEEN. NOW IN THIS PLACE OF MURDER, ONE MUST FALL AND ONE MUST RISE." Always seemed a little weak that we never really get the chance to look upon the face of our father at the end... especially after all that killing!

thats something sod did very well. had dialogue options that had the party members do the quest objective or give thier input with out an interjection.

we need more stuff like the option in the quest pack that lets us avoid that fight with the knights in tob.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessgorgonzolaMantis37
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    mass invisibility does not suffice? ;)
    never tried it, if not maybe a sorcerer knowing both wish and imprisonment is needed, also a freedom scroll that has to be used right before exiting the map. :p
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    The wilderness wandering is GREAT the first time through in BG1. But after you know where all the interesting encounters are, and where nothing interesting is, BG1 loses a lot of its magic because of that. It goes from exploring the unknown, to actively wanting to skip parts of the game because nothing happens there. That's really the biggest reason BG1 lags behind BG2 for me.

That's why I like adding mods, suddenly the world you thought you knew is different, especially if add 2 or 3 mods at the same time. It would be cool to have a way to add mods randomly when you start a new game.......

• DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Built in advanced ai and remove the prot from magical weapons spell. Also rework spell system.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Shamans should have their own stronghold. The druid's one is related to the druid's hierarchy and a shaman wouldn't fit in it. But yeah, better than nothing.

The same thing goes for monks, barbarians and blackguards: they should have their own strongholds as they don't quite fit in the fighter's one.

Monks should get the Heretic monk Temple from Rasaad's quest.

Blackguards should get to work for Firkragg?

What would Shamans and Barbarians get though? I think the Barbarian having the fighters stronghold is a good fit. No idea for the Shamans.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Raduziel wrote: »

Monks should get the Heretic monk Temple from Rasaad's quest.

Blackguards should get to work for Firkragg?

What would Shamans and Barbarians get though? I think the Barbarian having the fighters stronghold is a good fit. No idea for the Shamans.

I could see the ranger stronghold applying to barbarians and shamans. It's an outdoorsy type plot. Since BD couldn't add any content to the original game, they probably weren't allowed to add lines to Minister Lloyd's dialogue to allow for that, though.
    ThacoBellBlackbɨrd
  • RedRodentRedRodent Member Posts: 78
    edited July 2020
    Class strongholds are a toughie. I personally like the idea of a barbarian getting to turn the fight pit in the Copper Coronet into a gladiator ring, and take on all manner of challengers. I suppose this could work pretty decently for a blackguard as well! Or, better idea, this could be the end to the slaver plotline that goes nowhere. You would either operate out of the CC or the Slaver base, and you would have the option to take over the slaving business and incorporate it into your gladiator ring.

Maybe shamans could set up shop somewhere where their connection to the spirits is especially strong. I'm thinking the Troll Den south of the Druid Grove or the cave with the Mimic in Umar Hills could be salvaged into something Shaman-y. Somewhere they could go to receive visions from the spirits basically.

I'm obviously dreaming here, but if I had the power, I guess more class-specific strongholds would be one of the first things I'd try to implement.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited July 2020
    I think most everything I would have said has been covered, except one. Darkness. There are items that allow seeing in the dark, and certain elves have the ability innately, but it never seems to come into play.

So, I would suggest making light a more integral factor and include lamps, torches, and magical sources of light. The actual effect would be to dim the screen and reduce the area where the party can see without a light source - to the point where adventuring in the Underdark without a light would leave the party barely able to see their own feet.
    SkatandunbarJuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2020
    Something I've always wanted to see is the option to roll stats right at the start of character generation (as you do in PnP). This, I believe, would bring more variety into the game by sometimes pushing you towards classes you don't normally play and thereby choosing different npcs as party members. Also because it would cut out powergame rerolling (not that I think it's bad - I've done it myself) it would make charname sub-optimal and more on a par with recruitable npcs.

My current workaround for this btw is to actually roll real dice for my stats and then go into character generation, using ctrl-8 when I get to the stats 'page' and adjusting downwards.
    JuliusBorisovMantis37
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There is a Shaman stronghold mod called "Will-of-the-Wisps", its in the Umar hills and is focused around helping spirits. Its pretty good and has some unique items, and they're pretty balanced to boot.

@Maurvir There is a single instance of infravision being unsed in SoD. You uncover a small cache in a cave.
    Adam_en_tium
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    @Maurvir There is a single instance of infravision being unsed in SoD. You uncover a small cache in a cave.

Well crap, I never knew that. Given how little infravision is used, I imagine most people probably missed it.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Infravision is basically useless. I also hate how they make the characters look red.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Maurvir wrote: »

Well crap, I never knew that. Given how little infravision is used, I imagine most people probably missed it.

There are actually two of those. Infravision is required to get into the lower level of the cave in the ambush area where orcs and trolls fight - that can be quite significant as it gives access to the best sling in SoD.
    Adam_en_tiumThacoBell