Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Well the return to the varnhold dungeon was pretty disappointing, it was a handful of the rooms, not really anything of note. I know my character's supposed to show up again later, so curious to see if there's more there.

I really want to do an evil run through now I heard
    That if you play Varnhold's Lot as evil, with the right choices, your character from Varnhold can come back as an enemy to your main.

My last run I had xp sharing off and skill user gets all xp on, and it didn't level everybody up when I got to HATEOT. I wonder if it might be because you changed settings during the game that triggered that, or if they changed something with the recent patches. I think I probably need to turn off skill user gets all xp, soon, or my main's going to hit the level cap way before HATEOT, so I don't think I'll be able to check if it happens if you don't change settings mid-game.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I think @Fardragon was right. You need to have sharing on when the NPCs rejoin. In my case, sharing with inactive members was always on for that run. I only changed the skill XP sharing during the run. Or it could be they patched it out.

I’ll be starting a new run soon but it will be a couple weeks before I work back up to the House.
    Ah, OK, thought you had xp sharing off for the game. When they rejoined, did you get to level them up yourself, or had the game picked their abilities for you?
    I was able to level them manually from wherever they were (16th or 17th lvl) up to 20.

Has anyone been able to use the Oculus of Abaddon passive bonus? It always shows as un-equipable but I can put in my belt. The True Seeing power works but not the extend metamagic. The PnP AP says you need to be NE alignment but I checked that box, as well and it still did not work. It doesn’t really make a difference in the end but it takes a big sacrifice to obtain and there’s not much payoff.
    DrHappyAngry
    That explains why it didn't seem to do jack for Octavia when I tried it on her, never noticed it was only supposed to be for neutral evil.

Apparently the new feats that showed up recently are only available if you've got the Varnhold's Lot DLC and not in the base game's updates. Seems kind of odd you'd modify base classes but wall off those changes behind the DLC. I noticed alchemists have some additional discoveries like extend potion and empower potion. I think Magi can take more of the metamagic feats than they used to be able to.
    bleusteel
    That explains why it didn't seem to do jack for Octavia when I tried it on her, never noticed it was only supposed to be for neutral evil.

There’s nothing in-game that mentions it. I also tried adding 20 ranks of UMD and that didn’t work either. Just bugged, I guess. I’m sure they’ll get around to fixing it eventually.
    Apparently the new feats that showed up recently are only available if you've got the Varnhold's Lot DLC and not in the base game's updates. Seems kind of odd you'd modify base classes but wall off those changes behind the DLC. I noticed alchemists have some additional discoveries like extend potion and empower potion. I think Magi can take more of the metamagic feats than they used to be able to.

Here is the list of class features added in the Varnhold’s Lot DLC

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?6204-quot-Varnhold-s-Lot-quot-New-Class-Features-List&p=39033#post39033
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    This game is frustrating me...

Does anyone know a quick cheat that can change my character's alignment to True Neutral so they can build the Monolith and Sacred Grove, like a druid should be able to do regardless of their alignment?

Why is the monolith the only building locked to a specific alignment. (after researching a bit, I guess the fair is also locked to TN too)

I've already restarted once to get this building (after seeing it as an option when building a lumber yard and figured it was linked to the Neutral alignment or Druid Class so I rolled a CN gnomish sorc/druid) and quite frankly do not want to put up with the first chapter and all of its pitiful writing again so a quick alignment swap is what I am going for.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2019
    I think you only had to have one component of your alignment neutral to build the grove. I built one as a lawful neutral inquisitor of Erestil. You need to build something else first - a monolith, and that requires a watchtower/windmill slot, and not all settlements get one of those.

There are several buildings tied to alignment, but I don't think any are tied to only one. "Neutral" means any neutral. I built a fair when chaotic good anyway, so I don't think your source is reliable.
    edited March 2019
    bleusteel wrote: »

Here is the list of class features added in the Varnhold’s Lot DLC

https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?6204-quot-Varnhold-s-Lot-quot-New-Class-Features-List&p=39033#post39033

It might be worth mentioning that the Rogue feats (at least the favoured terrain one) are also available to bards (and vivisectionists?).

There are also a couple of typos on the magus metamagic feats, but it's pretty obvious what they are and what they should read.

Edit: another error. Major Magic Talent and Minor Magic Talent are not in, so any 10th level rogue can now get a familiar. Nice.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2019
    Just checked on a savegame in which I have a monolith. The text reads "restricted to kingdoms with a with a neutral alignment" (sic).

The text for the Sacred Grove reads "must be built adjacent to a monolith. Cannot be built in a settlement with a Lumber Yard".
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Where is your monolith? Is it in the first settlement? I am a CN character now and it isn’t an option to build.

Everywhere I read, it says Monolith is tied to TN.
    How big is the town you're trying to build it in? I think the town had to be upgraded at least once before you could build it.
    The Monolith can be built in a village, but the Grove requires a town.
    deltago wrote: »
    Where is your monolith? Is it in the first settlement? I am a CN character now and it isn’t an option to build.

It may be a bug that allowed me to build it LN?

It actually makes sense to have a true neural unique building, since otherwise TN would have fewer options than the other alignments.

It would be nice if you could change the alignment of your kingdom, since it can slip out of alignment with the baron.
    Fardragon wrote: »

It may be a bug that allowed me to build it LN?

It actually makes sense to have a true neural unique building, since otherwise TN would have fewer options than the other alignments.

It would be nice if you could change the alignment of your kingdom, since it can slip out of alignment with the baron.

It'd be nicer if there were buildings tied to classes/races as well which seems like a large oversight when creating the game.
    edited March 2019
    Outside of RP and artisans, I haven’t found much use for any buildings except teleportation circles or mage towers (for their teleportation feature). Aviaries are somewhat useful for allowing you to manage your kingdom from adjacent “unincorporated” territory.

What am I missing by not building more?
    Probably nothing. I usually go into RPGs to role play them first.

Building off the first line when selecting gnome as a race "gnomes trace their lineage back to the mysterious realm of the fey..." I created a CN gnome feyspeaker/sylvan sorcerer with the hopes of creating a wild and untamed kingdom much like the first world... less industrial and more natural.

Being a druid (feyspeaker) gives a reason why only your character can interact with the nymph and a charismatic focused build fills in the leadership role you are assumed to have from the beginning.

I may just abandon that idea though and just play the game.
    bleusteelDrHappyAngry
    Sounds like a cool concept. It is annoying when game mechanics get in the way of role-playing.

I’m not familiar enough with 3/3.5/Pathfinder to really role play PF:KM effectively. It breaks my immersion if something happens in-game that I didn’t anticipate because of “rules.” I can role play BG all day long because I’ve played it for 20+ years and PnP AD&D and 2nd edition before that.

I’m on my fifth playthrough of PF:KM and I’m getting close to being able to RP comfortably.

Building off the first line when selecting gnome as a race "gnomes trace their lineage back to the mysterious realm of the fey..." I created a CN gnome feyspeaker/sylvan sorcerer with the hopes of creating a wild and untamed kingdom much like the first world... less industrial and more natural.

Being a druid (feyspeaker) gives a reason why only your character can interact with the nymph and a charismatic focused build fills in the leadership role you are assumed to have from the beginning.

Hah, I've been mulling over almost the same build idea, and going mystic thuerge. Even though I think mystic thuerge is a sub optimal class, I was starting to think the challenge could be interesting, and like you said it makes a ton of sense role play wise. I was thinking of just doing the fey bloodline for sorcerer, though. What domain did you pick for the fey speaker? I was thinking an animal companion wouldn't make much sense, since it won't level with MT. Does the animal companion level up with both feyspeaker and sylvan sorcerer?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Feyspeaker replaces Wis spell modifiers with CHR allowing you to focus on one ability instead of two.

Since I am Sorc/Druid my animal companion levels up every level. There is also a feat that allows you to level up your companion if you do take MT.

I first started with a ranger/sorc thinking it was like NWN and I’d get two companions, but once I realized I didn’t and I realized there was a grove (but didn’t have access to it) I restarted with a Druid assuming I would be able to access that.
    How many level of Theurge would you take?
    chimaera wrote: »
    The issue with the theurge is delaying the spell progression, which means slower access to higher level spells and as a result lower spell dc. Also, a sorcerer theurge misses out on level 9 spells entirely.

As for the animal companion, unless you can take boon companion several times (no idea if that's possible), that's going to help with only four levels.

I know, and I've ranted in this thread about how MT really delays spell progression. The character would be for challenge and role play. Plus, at least I know I can get to level 20 if I turn off xp sharing and use skill user gets all xp for the check.

If I do mystic theurge I'd probably do all 10 levels of it. Not sure if I'd finish off with even more sorcerer or druid levels, but am leaning towards sorcerer.
    edited March 2019

Hah, I've been mulling over almost the same build idea, and going mystic thuerge. Even though I think mystic thuerge is a sub optimal class, I was starting to think the challenge could be interesting, and like you said it makes a ton of sense role play wise. I was thinking of just doing the fey bloodline for sorcerer, though. What domain did you pick for the fey speaker? I was thinking an animal companion wouldn't make much sense, since it won't level with MT. Does the animal companion level up with both feyspeaker and sylvan sorcerer?

The feat allows an animal companion to level with the first four levels of Mystic Theurge, so it only starts to fall behind after level 11. The pet is strong in just the level range that the character is weak (5-11) And Charisma is the casting stat for both classes. And the Mystic Theurge's ability to use spell slots from one class to cast spells from the other is surprisingly awesome.

Don't try to combine sylvian sorc with anything other than a feyspeaker druid (and visa versa), since it leaves you stuck with a level 4 (8 with feat) animal companion who you can't dismiss and is more of a liability than an asset.

The other ways to go are Empyreal Sorcerer / Druid with a domain instead of an animal companion (fire is good, since you can use your sorc slots to spam fireballs etc without having to learn it as a sorc). Wisdom is the casting stat for both classes.

Or Empyreal Sorc/Ecclisiathurge - again, free access to fire domain spells is great.
    DrHappyAngry
    How many level of Theurge would you take?

10, or it's not worth the effort.
    Fardragon wrote: »

The feat allows an animal companion to level with the first four levels of Mystic Theurge, so it only starts to fall behind after level 11. The pet is strong in just the level range that the character is weak (5-11) And Charisma is the casting stat for both classes. And the Mystic Theurge's ability to use spell slots from one class to cast spells from the other is surprisingly awesome.

Don't try to combine sylvian sorc with anything other than a feyspeaker druid (and visa versa), since it leaves you stuck with a level 4 (8 with feat) animal companion who you can't dismiss and is more of a liability than an asset.

The other ways to go are Empyreal Sorcerer / Druid with a domain instead of an animal companion (fire is good, since you can use your sorc slots to spam fireballs etc without having to learn it as a sorc). Wisdom is the casting stat for both classes.

Or Empyreal Sorc/Ecclisiathurge - again, free access to fire domain spells is great.

I think I'm going to give it a shot with the Fey Speaker/Sylvan Sorcerer. The pet might get weaker as I take MT levels, but it does sound nice to have during those low levels, when I'm super squishy and don't have many decent spells.

Man, I wish this game had the Practiced Spell Caster feat from NWN2.
    Fardragon