Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Not sure if this is related to the NPC Project, but this is the first time I saw a dialogue where there was no option 1.

Does Kagain have anything to say, do, or influence inside the Silvershield Estate? I thought that Eddard's Fibula was related to his quest. But he doesn't say a word at any moment near the Estate.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited January 2019
    deleted
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Thels said:

Not sure if this is related to the NPC Project, but this is the first time I saw a dialogue where there was no option 1.

Does Kagain have anything to say, do, or influence inside the Silvershield Estate? I thought that Eddard's Fibula was related to his quest. But he doesn't say a word at any moment near the Estate.

Looks like I need to put a conditional on the original response, which just terminates the dialogue.

Kagain says nothing.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited January 2019
    Is Imoen not supposed to say anything when...
    ...you kill Winthrop's Doppelganger?

Also, are there any TotSC areas that have been touched by Beta 24? I'm almost done with my current run, but I've skipped TotSC, and am planning to start a fresh run instead of continuing. However, if there's specific areas that got touched, I could test those areas while I'm at it.

Checking back some old content, I noticed Imanel Silversword's items also drop fully identified.
    Post edited by Thels on
    xizor said:

There are four characters named "Zizi the Lovebundle" in the Undercellar. Is this intentional? They're all unresponsive.

The 4 Zizis is intentional. Do you have Xzar in the party?
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited January 2019
    Thels said:

Also, are there any TotSC areas that have been touched by Beta 24? I'm almost done with my current run, but I've skipped TotSC, and am planning to start a fresh run instead of continuing. However, if there's specific areas that got touched, I could test those areas while I'm at it.

Checking back some old content, I noticed Imanel Silversword's items also drop fully identified.
    Re: Imoen - I don't think so. There is no script trigger for that character's death (actually, the CRE doesn't even have a death variable).

I haven't made any changes to those parts of the mod. There are some lingering issues with journal entries (BG1NPC does a poor job of cleaning up journal entries when it diverges a quest line).

I'll take a look at Imanel. If you are referring to the bow she carries, I assume that is intentional...

since it is Kivan's. He shouldn't need it identified.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited January 2019
    The bow only drops if you have a specific character in your Party at the time, but that seems intentional, and feels appropriate. Her other items (an Elven Chain and a Longsword +1) drop whether that character is in the party or not, and are already identified.

I'm testing out Xzar's questline at the moment. I tried encountering the three druids on various maps. They tend not to spawn or stay together, which makes the Dialogue a bit. Blackberry comes up to talk to you, but Storm and Zosya are elsewhere on the map. If you had somehow already explored those areas, then the camera jumps to them, and you just look at the fog, without them actually being visible. If you have not yet discovered their area, then the camera stays on Blackberry.

Also, Blackberry and Storm have a portrait, but Zosya does not, which is a tad jarring. Zosya does drop some loot (Hide Armor, Club, some gold), but Blackberry and Storm drop absolutely nothing whatsoever. Having them drop something, even if only a regular quarterstaff, would feel more natural. Again, though, I can understand if you prefer not to touch them because the mod is content locked.

"A vial of vile extract" which Xzar 'loots' from Schlumpsha the Sewer King in the Western Sewers uses almost exclusively lowercase for its name, unlike pretty much every other item in the game. Not sure if this qualifies as a 'bug' to be fixed or not.

I understand why there are four Zizi the Lovebundles, one at each entrance of the Undercellar. It guarantees that you'll run into her before you run into Slythe and Krysten. However, if you don't have Xzar in the group, having four of them is pretty weird. You could circumvent this by either spawning her only when Xzar is in the party, or by giving her four different names. Both of them would be messing with content, though, so I think it's off limits.

However, I also noticed that what happens vary from where you arrive:
    For example, I arrive from the North East corner. Zizi talks to Xzar, and then turns into a Green Slime. Slythe and Krystin have some dialogue, and then the slime sits there. However, in the combat log you can see other Green Slimes attacking Zizi the Lovebundle:

If I Ctrl-J to the South West corner of the map, there's a massive outbreak of slimes going on:

The North West and South East corners of the map are void of Zizis and Slimes.

If I arrive from the North West corner, there's nothing about Green Slimes and Zizi the Lovebundles in the combat log. Zizi converts into a green slime, the South East and South West corners remain empty, but there's five slimes sitting in the North East corner.

If I arrive from the South West corner, Zizi converts into a green slime, but disappears immediately after the dialogue. The other corners are all empty.

If I arrive from the South East corner, Zizi converts into a green slime and just sits there. The other corners are all empty.

In Coran's quest, when you head to the temple to purify the roses, you can drop the Withered Roses on the ground and then talk to Rashel. She'll still give you the Red Roses, and you can pick the Withered Roses back up.

Likewise, if you travel back to the Firewine Ruins, you can drop both the Withered Roses and the Red Roses on the ground before entering the Ruins. Natan and Coran will still get charmed by the Roses, but you can head back upstairs and loot them again.

After getting the Multicolored Powders from Natan, you can kill Natan upstairs and get another set of Multicolored Powders.

Still, none of these are gambreaking. They're all minor issues, so it would be fine to simply ignore these.
    Post edited by Thels on
    Wise_Grimwald
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Thels said:

from my understanding imoen's writer left mid way through the making of the mod. so she has alot of content at the start of the game but then it starts to fizzle out by mid to late game.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited January 2019
    Ah, that explains. I thought it would be fitting for her to say something there, but apparently not. Just making sure it wasn't a bug.

When you run into Winsky Perorate in the Thieves' Maze, he summons a Demon called Aravaata, who immediately starts attacking.

He attacks while having a blue selection circle. Is that on purpose, or should he be hostile?

Also, if you attack him, he just dies, and that's it. The rest of the encounter continues as vanilla.

From what I've read...
    ...the Demon should kill Winsky, and Winsky should drop an amulet and a scroll.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/7667-v12b-dynaheir-endgame-spoilers/
    Post edited by Thels on
    ThacoBell
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    Hey thanks for the update, this is my first playthrough with this mod and so far I'm impressed!

The mod runs great so far, Imoen has gotten her spellbook working which is a great addition. Just one issue though, the game crashes consistently at certain dialogues. For example whenever Imoen starts talking to Jahera about her hatred for cities, and when Imoen has the banter with Kivan about the necklace he wears when I rest. The dialogue gets to the second or third part then crashes when I click "continue".

I've installed Modmerger first, and also have other mods installed in this order;

Exp cap remover
    BG classic cutscenes
    NPC Tweaks Mod
    *BG NPC Project v24*
    SCS
    SCS hotfix for 2.0+

I'm wondering if maybe there is a conflict between these mods? Mivsan_NT's SCS playthrough inspired me to try my own and he featured all of these mods, although before the SoD update.

(I've tried reinstalling NPC project so I guess it's now last in the mod install order now? Still the same problem.)

Thanks for reading!

edit. I am in the process of reinstalling now, can someone recommend a better install order maybe?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited February 2019
    @welshwizard Are you installing the mod in another language than English? What exactly do you mean by "crash", does the game freeze or CTD?
    jastey said:
    @welshwizard Are you installing the mod in another language than English? What exactly do you mean by "crash", does the game freeze or CTD?
    It does a CTD
    I'm in the process of reinstalling the mods, did a complete uninstall of Baldur's Gate EE and will keep you updated
    Okay the fresh install and reinstallation of the mods seems to have fixed it! Had the Imoen and Kivan conversation without the CTD. I chose not to install the NPC tweaks or the cutscene mod, they weren't vital so I guess the fewer mods the less chance of incompatibility.

Thanks again for the great mod!
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    The cutscene mod caused problems for me a few years ago now. Aparently the shorter length causes problems. :( It doesn't give enough time for the program to work.
  • XanadooXanadoo Member Posts: 17
    I'm using v23 on EE 2.5.17.

In Jaheira's quest, I've killed the Shadow Druids around Beador, but he's not responding/talking. I'm guessing there's a version incompatibility here. Is there any chance that upgrading to v24 will fix this (mid game - with over 112k XP I'm a bit reluctant to restart), or is there something else I can do? The documentation I have refers to the variable X#JaheiraSen which appears not to exist in my game.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    You do have both Jaheira and Khaled in your party?
  • XanadooXanadoo Member Posts: 17
    You do have both Jaheira and Khaled in your party?

Yes. J&K are in the party. Obviously Beador, plus "playmates" spawned and until that point no sign of any problems. I can kill him, but that has no effect either. Literally seems like the quest has stuck.

@Xanadoo EE2.5 adjusted this encounter, and as such, NPC Project v23 is no longer compatible. The easiest solution (if possible) is to load a save before the encounter, and remove Jaheira from the group for the duration of the encounter. That of course means you'll miss out on her quest.

v24 fixes this, but I highly recommend against upgrading mid-game.
    XanadooWise_Grimwald
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2019
    So an issue I just ran into: if I kill Tranzig, I get trapped in a constant loop of initiating conversation with Branwen where it's the usual PID options.

The prebattle dialogue between Tranzig and Branwen all works fine, the battle starts, Tranzig begs to be spared and I can choose to talk Branwen down etc, it is just that once Tranzig dies or is let go that the issue starts.

I can't find a way to make the game stop initiating this dialogue. I assume the game is attempting to start some conversation regarding her achieving revenge, but isn't referencing the right dialogue option. Even if Branwen isn't in my party when I speak to and kill Tranzig, once I add her back the loop begins.

I just pickpocketed all the stuff from Tranzig so it's not a huge deal, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Post edited by Dawglicious on
    @Dawglicious I had the same issue, and reported it earlier. AstroBryGuy already fixed the issue, but of course that only pops up on the next release. ABG has been awfully quiet lately, so IRL must be keeping him busy...
    DawgliciousGusinda
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i don't really like Branwen anyways so it's easy for me to just not use her until this is fixed.
    Sorry, everyone, I’m recovering from recent surgery. Haven’t been able to put in much screen time lately.
    ZaghoulAedanThacoBellEtamin
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I know how trying that can be. Get well soon. :)
    AstroBryGuyAerakarThacoBell
    Oww, sorry to hear. Hope you're doing okay now healthwise?
    Ludwig_IIAerakarAstroBryGuyThacoBell
    Get well soon!
    AstroBryGuyThacoBellLudwig_II
    xizor wrote: »
    There are four characters named "Zizi the Lovebundle" in the Undercellar. Is this intentional? They're all unresponsive.

This is intentional. There are 4 CREs created by the BG1NPC code, x#zizi1.cre, x#zizi2.cre, x#zizi3.cre, x#zizi4.cre.
    They will only talk to you if you have Xzar in the party and he has the "vial of vile extract" from his quest.
    Thels wrote: »
    You're welcome @jastey

Found the tiniest of issues. If you talk to Pheirkas while Ajantis is in the party, Ajantis will say:

Committing a crime by stealing! I can't believe this scum is asking passers-by to do his abominable deeds for him!

But Pheirkas is female.

Got it.
    jastey wrote: »
    @AstroBryGuy The messenger is spawned using CreateCreatureObjectOffScreen - maybe we could change this to something "closer" to Ajantis, since it's also not announed in any way (e.g. by Ajantis telling that there is someone) this can be easily missed, indeed.
    x#ajrom.baf:
    /* messenger, appears in city areas. (LT 32) */
    IF %BGT_VAR%
    InParty(Myself)
    RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#AjantisRomance","GLOBAL")
    !Global("X#AjantisRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)
    !Global("X#AjantisCoranChallenge","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("X#AjantisKnowBhaalTalk","GLOBAL",0)
    Global("P#KnowBhaal","GLOBAL",0)
    !Detect([ENEMY])
    See(Player1)
    ReputationGT(Player1,15)
    !StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
    CombatCounter(0)
    Global("X#AjantisLoveTalk","GLOBAL",31)
    AreaType(OUTDOOR)
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%BELT05",Player1) //girdle of gender bender
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%HELM02",Player1) //helmet of alignment change
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%BELT05",Myself) //girdle of gender bender
    !HasItemEquiped("%tutu_var%HELM02",Myself) //helmet of alignment change
    OR(14)
    AreaCheck("%NWBaldursGate%") //North-Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%NBaldursGate%") //Northern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%NEBaldursGate%") //North-Eastern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%WBaldursGate%") //Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%CentralBaldursGate%") //Center District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%EBaldursGate%") //Eastern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%UlgothsBeard%") //Village of Ulgoth's Beard
    AreaCheck("%SWBaldursGate%") //South-Western District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%BaldursGateDocks%") //Southern District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%SEBaldursGate%") //South-East District of Baldur's Gate
    AreaCheck("%FriendlyArmInn%") //Friendly Arm Inn
    AreaCheck("%Beregost%") //Beregost
    AreaCheck("%Nashkel%") //Nashkell
    AreaCheck("%NashkelCarnival%") //Carnival
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    IncrementGlobal("X#AjantisLoveTalk","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("X#AjantisHasRing","GLOBAL",1)
    CreateCreatureObjectOffScreen("X#AJDOUG",Myself,0,0,0) //Douglas
    END

@Thels Thank you for the heads up!

HI @Jastey - Do you think we could use CreateCreatureObjectOffset() instead? Set the offset to something that should be outside visual range? Unfortunately, we don't know the exact location of the spawn. So, a fixed offset could spawn the messenger in an odd place.
    @AstroBryGuy Hm, you are right, CreateCreatureObjectOffset() with the wrong offset could also lead to the messenger being behind a door... unless we take a very small offset?
    For Ajantis BGII I just use CreateCreatureObject("C#AJSHBO","C#Ajantis",0,0,0). I prefer the messenger pop up in the middle of the group over the encounter not working because he got stuck behind a door etc...