Skip to content

Beamdog Update, March 19, 2019

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited April 2019 in News
These are busy times at Beamdog. We thought we’d give you a quick update on what we're up to!

The upcoming Skybound Games booth at PAX East, a playable BG:EE demo for PS4 and Switch, Axis & Allies Online interviews and news, NWN:EE patch plans, and more!
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
TorgrimmerkanisathaStummvonBordwehrJFKlolien

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    The pathfinding fix would be a welcome update for the PC IE games. In v2.5, party members often end up in the same spot causing them to get stuck on each other.

Other than that, I could find no other news in there that were relevant to my interests. Above all, I'm still waiting for a statement on Beamdog putting effort into fixing issues in the IE:EE UIs.
    Ravenslight
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2019
    The direct mention of the pathfinding fix is because there was a lot of talk about that issue.

The UI issues were addressed in the previous update:

"We received a number of questions about UI for the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions games and our plans regarding it going forward. Now that the console releases are announced, we can share that we’ve been doing extensive updates to our UI system that could very possibly end up paying dividends for the PC versions into the future. For the time being, however, all of the UI work we’re doing is centered squarely around the console versions of the games, so any changes to the PC UI won’t happen for a while."

We received a number of questions about UI for the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions games = we hear all that loud and clear, and also did an analysis of all the public requests.
    StummvonBordwehrDaemonia
    We received a number of questions about UI for the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions games = we hear all that loud and clear, and also an analysis of all the public requests.

Well, it's certainly good to know that the requests are being heard, but as I said, I'm waiting for a statement that it's actually being worked on.

Not trying to be difficult, it's just that I know you guys have a lot of different projects to work on (not to mention countless areas of focus within each project), so I'll need a more concrete assurance to ease my mind. I'll be waiting (an occasionally complaining) until Beamdog is ready to provide that assurance.
    AndreaColombo
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Thank you @JuliusBorisov for the update looking forward to A&A
    kanisathaJuliusBorisovJFK
    edited March 2019
    lefreut wrote: »
    The UI on PC does not need extensive updates, it needs bug fixes to the UI engine so we can mod it properly.

That would be a start, though I hope they'll eventually do more than that. The community certainly couldn't fix everything without a lot more externalizations.
    Ravenslight
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I found it very interesting to learn from Trent's interview that AAO has been in development for more than two years.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited March 2019
    I think now I have an idea about the delay of the 2.6 patch. They wanted to release the update together with the voice pack dlc, like an enablement patch. However, after console porting started to happen, I guess at some point they decided to use this voice pack dlc as part of the promotion of console ports, like they will do in this event in Boston. So it needed to wait for the console ports to happen, which lead to a chain of blockers.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense that they say the patch is still in development, while there is no indication that there is actual development going on the patch, with Catmull-Rom, UI and pathfinding fixes all being considered for the later versions.

Tying bug fixes to upcoming features is not particularly a good idea, but I understand the decision to offer something new and use it to promote the console ports from marketing perspective.

This is all just speculation from my side, and I can't find any other points of interest for me in the update to even speculate about. I wish at least the pathfinding fixes would be happening in the 2.6 version, but anyway. I keep myself content by thinking at least they're not abandoning IE.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    AdulanastielRavenslight
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I have also encountered the stacking/pathfinding issue many times.

I have worked around it by giving each member of the stack a different direction. If there are 4 in the stack, only 1 of the NPC’s starts walking, making the stack 3 NPC’s high. Rinse lather repeat, and the stack is debundled.

Its clearly a bug and should and will be fixed eventually - but I have found it easy to work around (I play on a small iPhone 6s screen, so its not that I have that many options for clicking/tapping the screen with precision moves).

The method may not even work on all platforms, but it solves the problem easily for me. If we have to wait for the solution, we might as well share our work arounds.
    Ravenslightlolien
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    These are busy times at Beamdog. We thought we’d give you a quick update on what we're up to!

The upcoming Skybound Games booth at PAX East, a playable BG:EE demo for PS4 and Switch, Axis & Allies Online interviews and news, NWN:EE patch plans, and more!

Will you make videos available on youtube? showing the port for the consoles?
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    No Xbox One yet?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I found it very interesting to learn from Trent's interview that AAO has been in development for more than two years.

I first mentioned it as a possibility in August 2017, so time line matches.

I also said we’d see Axis and Allies in 12-16 months back in January 2018.

Where the hell is my Clairvoyance badge already?

Next release should be the “demon” game featured on their website. They’re out of EEs and Trent’s childhood (unless we get a weightlifting VR game). Won’t be announced for another year and half though. But they don’t even know what they are working on so, I could be completely wrong on that wishful thinking.
    ThacoBellPrince_Raymondlefreutanastiel
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2019
    deltago wrote: »
    in August 2017 ... Clairvoyance badge

Someone beat you to it in August 2016. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60913/trent-oster-has-registered-domains-for-axis-amp-allies-games ;)
    anastiellolien
    There is also this gem from @Buttercheese that seemed to be a dead on prediction:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/930275/#Comment_930275
    tbone1
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    lefreut wrote: »
    Still no concrete news about 2.6. No information about why it's still not there. Not even any details about the content. We only know that it will not contain pathfinding improvements or UI fixes :|

Come now, we also know it won't bring back Catmull-Rom Bicubic or EAX ;)
    lefreutAdulRavenslight
    deltago wrote: »
    There is also this gem from @Buttercheese that seemed to be a dead on prediction:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/930275/#Comment_930275

About that ^ the update mentions that they would like to include Ascension as an official DLC but they would need permission from the creator and they are not in a position to contact him. David Gaider is the one who created Ascension so that is pretty much saying he burnt some bridges before he left. Otherwise, how hard would it be to drop him an e-mail or tweat him on twitter? Either he doesn't want to be contacted or they know he won't allow them to sell his mod as DLC. Either way I think it gives some insight into how things stand between Gaider and Beamdog. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it?

If Gaider gave them permission for a percentage of the profit he could make a little cash for doing nothing. Heck, I'd buy it if it meant official support and a bug free version of Ascension for the EE's.
    @the_sextein
    I believe that the part you mention was an answer to my question to BD in januar. I asked if BD would consider famous mods (Ascension, CD tweaks, SCS and such) becomming DLC’s on platforms that either cant be modded (consoles) or hard to mod/have difficulties accessing the console (mobile devices).

So I believe that BD is just stating, that they might consider “importing” mods and that ascension would be a obvious choice. I think a bug free ascension mod would be a great boon to us all - esoecially for us on iOS and the consoles (when they come).

Just today Enuhal dropped Acsension from his mod list for his no-reload run and Semiticgod reported 2 gamebreaking bugs in his no-reload run. Acsension is an epic mod and deserves a better fate than its present state, so I hope it will come to be.

I have asked if BD needs some help getting permissions, and the answer to tjat question will be reveiled when the questions from march is answered (according to Julius).

So hopefully we will know more in April, and speculations at present might be premature.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm not sure how Ascension would even be included officially. It changes a lot of things about the final battle, not least of all is the huge difficulty increase. Even ignoring how angry that would make purists, it would be a big turn off to casual players.
    lefreutRavenslight
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited March 2019
    I took it as them saying that they want to, but they need permission from the mod creators and they are not in contact with them. Hopefully they will drop mister G a tweat and ask for his permission if they are serious about enhancing both the PC and console ports with fantastic mods like Ascension. Either way, I agree that my assumption was pre mature. I stated that I may be reading too much into it and well....I probably am.

I really do hope the best for Beamdog and Baldur's Gate but it's hard not to be frustrated at this point. It's really having a negative effect on the modding community as well. These patches have held up mod teams to the point where they have stopped communicating with their fans. All has gone quiet other than SCS. Hopefully SCS v32 will work with whatever patch fixes the pathfinding in the future. I have doubts that EET will ever progress at this rate.
    StummvonBordwehrTimbo0o0o0
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I'm not sure how Ascension would even be included officially. It changes a lot of things about the final battle, not least of all is the huge difficulty increase. Even ignoring how angry that would make purists, it would be a big turn off to casual players.
    @ThacoBell
    The intent was not a mandatory Ascension, but a DLC for iOS and consoles, so players could choose to include Ascension - if they wanted and paid for it on the platforms mentioned.

As I see it, it would be easy to develop and promote - and enhance the game even further for those who are restricted in their modding opportunities.
    ThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    "
    I think a bug free ascension mod would be a great boon to us all.

I agree, but Beamdog can't make even a bug free Siege of Dragonspear. I don't play Ascension because I was never able to make the thing work properly and it kind of made a mental block to even try installing it in EE.

But for all that I've read about Ascension towards plot it should be canon. As for frustrated casual players, there's always Story Mode.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Raduziel wrote: »
    "
    I think a bug free ascension mod would be a great boon to us all.

I agree, but Beamdog can't make even a bug free Siege of Dragonspear. I don't play Ascension because I was never able to make the thing work properly and it kind of made a mental block to even try installing it in EE.

But for all that I've read about Ascension towards plot it should be canon. As for frustrated casual players, there's always Story Mode.

Story mode isn't fun for everyone. If you increase the difficulty to the point where someone gets knocked from normal to story mode, because of a single fight, thats a bad decision. Reasonable challenge is not the same thing as "turn on godmode"
    lefreutRavenslightrealshemp
    edited March 2019
    lol, Ascension is way too hard to include by default and if it is included as an option they better have a warning that the final fight is a huuuuuuuuuge increase in difficulty. Otherwise a bunch of people would get to the end and rage quit. Ascension could probably find a way to kill you even on story mode :D
    ThacoBellRavenslight
    I think you are reading too much into it.

Gaider probably said no when he was working at Beamdog about making it an official add-in, especially if he built it off the clock when he was working at BioWare.

Another wrinkle is that he might have been working it on the clock during his BioWare days and BioWare owns part of it because of that work and may not give permission for another studio to make money off of it.

That’s not going to stop people from asking for it nonstop though, so they still have to give a generic answer regarding it.
    @the_sextein
    No sweat. I also read the post from Luke as a definite yay to the idea. I just dont think they have the time right now to ask around or doing work on that project. That was why I proposed enlisting the community for help in asking and stuff. But we will see.

I havent given up on BD and the IE. I might be naive, but I do believe that the bugs will be eraticated and that we will see more content in the BG series in the future (please note that I didnt say near future :p)
    Ludwig_II
    edited March 2019
    Yeah you are probably correct. Initially, I assumed that David did work for a game that Beamdog was working on and then left to do new projects as Beamdog didn't have anymore work for him at the time. However, he did take on a job position that managed the project if I'm not mistaken. It seems odd that he would leave unless he was unhappy with something. But again, who knows and honestly, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it since its really none of my business. If they are on good terms though then I find it hard to say that they are not in contact with him. It only takes a few seconds to drop someone an email. They could just say they don't have the resources to do it or they disagree with the community and leave it at that. It leaves a bit to the imagination which is what got me thinking in that direction.
    StummvonBordwehr