Skip to content

So... what and who EXACTLY can carry over from BG to SoD?

JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
I noticed that most of my entire party (Neera, Rasaad, Dorn, Branwen, Imoen) carried over to Siege of Dragonspear just fine, with all their equipment... except for one thing: Imoen, who was fully kitted out as a level 10 thief (I didn't dual-class her since she was my only thief) disappeared and was replaced by Safana.

(Of course, narratively, this works by saying that Imoen dual-classed to mage and is now under the tutelage of Grand Duke Liia Jannath.)

If I had had a different party with me, would some of them have disappeared or been replaced too? BG@GameBanshee suggests that not all characters can carry through, in particular it doesn't mention Branwen... but Branwen *did* come through into SoD, complete with the three points of wisdom upgrade that I'd given her from manuals, she's now at 19 Wis.

So, can all characters - and their inventory - follow through, except for Imoen (and I take it Imoen's replacment by Safana is a standard thing: but what if Safana was already in your party with Imoen - which would only make sense if you dualled Imoen to mage at once - then would somebody else replace Imoen then, and if so, who)?

Also, for characters not in your party, can some of them be found again, or is it only "your party plus the new ones specific to SoD"?

And finally... If Imoen was in your BG party, and wearing good gear, does it disappear? She had the Eagle Bow, Shadow Armor and Sword of Backstabbing... I can technically cheat by stripping Imoen down to nothing before the Sarevok fight and loading her inventory on to other characters, then handing it back to Safana when I begin SoD (although I have to unequip Imoen's armour before the fight), but that's really not very honourable... So is there anywhere else that I could find either (a) whatever Imoen had been wearing, or (b) comparable equipment because all Safana gets is a plain leather armour and ninjato, which is pretty useless for a level 10 thief?
RAM021FenrirWolfganger

Comments

• xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    You'll find Imoen's stuff later. BUT any other character keeps their eqipped items. Which means that if they leave and won't come back the items are lost forever. You'll get the items which were not equipped though.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021FenrirWolfganger
  • drdavedrdave Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    I don't think containers (gem bags, potion cases etc) or their contents carry over into SoD.

[spoiler] You also lose all your gold early on, so you might want to make a few big ticket purchases before you head after Sarevok at the end of BG and sell them back at the start of SoD. Although TBH you still build up your cash reserves fairly quickly. [/spoiler]

RAM021KloroxFenrirWolfganger
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    all the party members show up in the first dungeon. after that it's mostly the characters that show up in both games plus safana,khalid, and dyna, the ee npcs, and the new ones made only for sod.
    QuartzFenrirWolfganger
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    This made me think....if I had both Imoen AND Safana in my BGEE party and imported them, who does Imoen get replaced with I wonder?
    RVNSRAM021
    well when you go into sod with imoen in the party she gets replaced by safana even if you never met her in your run. so i assume you just have an empty party slot if you have both.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Same here with my F/M/T with everything in stealth.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2019
    Personally then I think you should get Safana as the replacement for Imoen even if your main character is a thief, for the reasons you mentioned. Similarly having both in your party in transferring to SoD puts you at a disadvantage, in a way.
    RAM021
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    I also discovered, when importing a character - rather than a saved game - into Siege of Dragonspear, that you get assigned party members.

For instance: I brought through the character file of a Druid Avenger (which I had played through BG1 using "BG TuTu" mod to play BG1 through the BG2 engine about five years ago, and then never bothered to actually play through BG2, losing interest halfway through the Irenicus Dungeon.)

I had long since deleted the savefile from the end of the BG1 installation, but had the character file left over, which should have brought through only the character. I was surprised to find myself starting SoD with a full-sized balanced party... consisting of Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn, Neera and Safana. None of whom had, in fact, been in the party I completed with BG1 - which had (I kept records of this even after deleting the savefile) consisted of Montaron, Xzar, Garrick, Shar-Teel and Imoen, the latter having dual-classed to mage already :-) (No doubt if I had brought the actual savefile through, that's what I would have got, except probably Safana instead of Imoen...)
    RAM021
  • piggy1753piggy1753 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2019
    Minsc and Jaheira will have much better stats if they are not in the imported party.

Also when I imported a shadowdancer as character not save I do get Safana.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    AionZ wrote: »
    You do not get Safana during the transfer if your PC is a thief, so you miss a party member. I found this out to my detriment with my assassin that had zero investment in lockpicking and trapfinding.
    Hahahaha, yikes
    FenrirWolfganger
    safana just gets dumped so quickly in my runs of sod. i find her very annoying.
    leeux
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited April 2019
    You do not get Safana during the transfer if your PC is a thief, so you miss a party member. I found this out to my detriment with my assassin that had zero investment in lockpicking and trapfinding.

The game does check for CheckStatGT(Player1,89,LOCKPICKING) and CheckStatGT(Player6,79,TRAPS) if there's a thief in the party. If one of them is not fulfilled and the party is less than 6 people, you get Safana in Korlasz's dungeon (but if she was in the party before in BG1, you get her the way you left her, which might be not a great help, either).
    Post edited by jastey on
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarsemiticgoddessRAM021
    edited April 2019
    jastey wrote: »

The game does check for CheckStatGT(Playerx,89,LOCKPICKING) and CheckStatGT(Playerx,79,TRAPS) if there's a thief in the party (EDIT: for PLayer1 to Player6 each). If one of them is not fulfilled and the party is less than 6 people, you get Safana in Korlasz's dungeon (but if she was in the party before in BG1, you get her the way you left her, which might be not a great help, either).
    ERm, this was supposed to be an edit of the above post.

Post edited by jastey on
    RAM021FenrirWolfganger
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

The game does check for CheckStatGT(Player1,89,LOCKPICKING) and CheckStatGT(Player6,79,TRAPS) if there's a thief in the party. If one of them is not fulfilled and the party is less than 6 people, you get Safana in Korlasz's dungeon (but if she was in the party before in BG1, you get her the way you left her, which might be not a great help, either).

The stat check was added in the last patch. I've been screwed by the game not giving me a thief, and my F/M/T never touched open locks or set traps.
    RAM021
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited April 2019
    I only just started playing SoD a few days ago, but I did run into one rather nasty surprise. During the prologue, after importing my last save game from BG (right before the final battle), I had everyone but Imoen with Safana added. A bit of a shock, but okay - whatever. Everyone had, more or less, everything they had before - including scroll cases, a potion case, etc. Oh, and Minsc still had 104 HP.

I'm thinking "sure, I can deal with this" as Safana actually turned out to be a pretty good thief. I missed having a backup mage, but that's just an extra challenge. Then, after the prologue, everyone splits and their gear goes with them. Minsc had the two-handed sword +3 from Durlag's tower and the Paws of Cheetah boots. Khalid had Varscona +2, etc.

The rub came when I found Minsc and Dynaheir again. Minsc only had 84 HP, a random +1 sword, and Worn Whispers. Dynaheir never really had much in the way of weapons or armor, so I didn't notice much missing, but it was still a bit distressing.

It's almost like I signed on with their doppelgangers instead of the originals - and given this happened in Baldur's Gate itself... The real question is why, though. This feels like a bug, since I had the original characters in the prologue.
    RAM021
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    IIRC your companions' gear is inside a chest right beside your bed at the Ducal Palace.

Have no idea about Minsc's HP, but sounds like a poor design and not a bug: instead of holding your party the game replaces them with their own version. But that's just a theory.

As the only reason I play SoD is to fulfill a fun run using EET I never had such issue, to be honest. EET uses the characters as they are - even in BG2.
    edited April 2019
    Minsc not having his gear from when he left the party is a known bug. Have a look here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68412/inconsistent-equipment-char-stats-transfer-behaviour-after-korlasz-tomb
    for more reference and I am sure if you attach a zipped save BeamDog's QA will fix it for you, too.
    EDIT: Everything the NPC had in their backpack would be in the PC's chest.

StummvonBordwehrRAM021
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Redmine says that this was fixed in 2.5.17 - the current version (if I understood the presented info correctly).

Apparently it is not.
    I didn't check this when saying it is a known bug. I was just remembering the other thread I linked to.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Redmine says that this was fixed in 2.5.17 - the current version (if I understood the presented info correctly).

Apparently it is not.

It's fixed for games started in 2.5.17.
    ThacoBellleeuxRAM021
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited April 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »

Apparently it is not.

It's fixed for games started in 2.5.17.
    @JuliusBorisov
    My bug report involved games started in the 2.5.17 version.

I have yet to get feedback on the bug report, so I guess its still being investigated?

Link to the bug report
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/40288
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2019
    Of course, thanks for filing it! That sounds like a new bug. "It occurs if you try to load a game any time before you pick up a npc. If you dont load a game, the NPC will keep its proficiencies, equipment, spells and all." - the previous problem was a bit different.

This new bug will be investigated once the team gets new QA time on the IE games on PC.
    StummvonBordwehrRAM021
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I was able to fix the issue with EEKeeper, once I realized I needed to copy bgEEEffects.dat from my BG folder to get it working. (How does this work if you only own SoD?) I try not to "cheat" with save game editors, but I considered this a special case.
    JuliusBorisov
    you get Safana in Korlasz's dungeon (but if she was in the party before in BG1, you get her the way you left her, which might be not a great help, either).

I stand corrected: there is another XP adjustment in SoD for NPCs that were in party in BG:EE, up to PC's XP of 250000.
    Just wanted to correct what I wrote earlier.
    FenrirWolfganger
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited June 2021
    In my current game Montaron has walked out on me due to high rep.
    Safana got chunked upon returning to Ulgoth's Beard with the dagger.
    I killed Dynaheir at Edwin's request.

I have just recruited Shar Teel as a fighter level 6 dualled to tyhief level 2.

I'm thinking that I will need a better thief in SoD prologue.

So that should probably be Coran, or will he join automatically?

EDIT

Just realised that for my evil party Tiax is the obvious solution. Yes he disappears in SoD after the prologue, but then others become available. He's not particularly powerful (32000 exp) but should be good enough for the prologue. He'll have to be carried through the rest of BG1. :( At least Durlag's is finished so Safana being chunked wasn't a complete disaster.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    FenrirWolfganger
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Just stepping in to say

the first dungeon of SoD isn't really "SoD" so much as it's a bridge between BG1 and SoD.

A quick rule? If they've got new voice clips, they'll be back. If not, say good-bye to the time investment.
    megamike15FenrirWolfganger
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    And before finishing the prologue ensure that you have your decent equipment with characters that will stay with you or in your own pack.
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
    edited June 2021
    piggy1753 wrote: »
    Minsc and Jaheira will have much better stats if they are not in the imported party.

Also when I imported a shadowdancer as character not save I do get Safana.

what stats do they have? I knew Jaheira had better stats in BG 2 but not SoD. Thought Mincs' stats stayed the same across all games.

The one I do know to watch is Viconia who has better stats in SoD but only if you didn't recruit her in BG 1
    drdave wrote: »
    I don't think containers (gem bags, potion cases etc) or their contents carry over into SoD.

Containers carry over if you complete BG1 and start SoD that way. If you import, they don't. [Edit: just read that different versions work different ways. This is my experience for the PC version]

One way to get more stuff across is to load up Imoen before the final battle, as all of that becomes available later. You can also load up other characters in BG1 providing they are recruitable in SoD. For example I generally complete BG1 apart from the final battle. I then ditch the party and get Safana and the EE characters and do those quests + load up Dynaheir's spell book at the end. Before going back and getting the old team back again.
    1. This means Safana and Dynaheir end up with more HP. (49 and 52 respectively if they haven't been in the party vs 57 and 54 if they have)
    2. you can leave the shadow armour on Safana in BG1 and it comes across as part of her equip in SoD
    3. you can load up Dynaheir's spell book in BG 1
    Post edited by Ridcully on