Skip to content

What's Your Signature Weapon and Armor?

A simple question: if you were in a fantasy environment like Faerun, what weapons and armor, if any, would best suit you?

The choice doesn't need to be realistic, and you don't need to factor in weather or expense. This is more about your personal style and preference rather than realism or safety (otherwise, how many people would say no to full plate mail?).

What would you wield and what would you wear if you were an adventurer?
ZaghoulgorgonzolaThacoBellMichelleStummvonBordwehrRik_KirtaniyaSkatanJuliusBorisovkansasbarbariandeltagoFlashburnArvia

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    :) I love the thread and responses but, this one has me smiling.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    You know what? Scratch trying to match irl. I want a rapier and dagger for parrying. With a big jaunty floppy hat with a feather in it.

All I can think of now is Oliver deBurrows, the splendid highwayhalfling, thief, fighter, lover and all around amazing halfling! Of course he uses a rapier and main gauche, but yep, I am liking it! Cyrano deBergerac, bolder and more outrageous than the common person can fathom, without the nose of course.

One of the best characters Salvatore ever wrote.
    Michelle
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2019
    Two daggers, throwing cards.
    Splint bracers and loose clothing that does not impede movement.
    MichelleThacoBelldeltagoSkatan
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    For regular use: Sword and Buckler plus regular clothing.
    If I know I'm going into battle: The heaviest armor I can afford (ideally full plate armor) and a halberd or pollaxe.
    ThacoBelldeltagoSkatanMichelle
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Pollaxe???
    Enuhal: "I want your gold. My axe wants to know what you think on the issues".
    Michelletbone1
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Throwing daggers or knives with a billy club or sap as backup.

Leather armour (jacket, not pants) would suffice for armour.
    SkatanMichelle
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @Enuhal

For regular use: Sword and Buckler plus regular clothing. --> Swashbuckler

If I know I'm going into battle: The heaviest armor I can afford (ideally full plate armor) and a halberd or pollaxe. --> Use Any Item :D

Michelle
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Arvia wrote: »
    Hmm... this is complicated. The obvious answer would be "plate, sword, simple helmet that doesn't bother my vision".
    Certainly no shield, because it wouldn't be much use for my safety if I couldn't coordinate it. Single weapon style.
    But in a game I'm not me, I'm an enhanced me with more strength, ability and courage.

If the real life everyday me would be transported into such a world, I'd go for something more practical. Plate isn't realistic for a woman, unless you're a bodybuilder.
    No helmet. I absolutely hate wearing anything on my head.
    I think I would use resistant clothes, leather armor, the solid, practical kind (not the flimsy stuff you see on women in fantasy pictures), easy to maintain, light enough to run and move quickly and wear all day, comfortable enough to sleep in ("Oh, orcs. Kindly wait before I put on my metal armor please"). Soft boots.
    A thin, light sword that I could lift and handle easily. And a good longbow (assuming I still remember how to aim), because while Arvia spits evil in the face and despises missile weapons because she knows how to fight properly, Marion doesn't want that orc closer than necessary.
    So, the picture I have in my mind would be something like a female Aragorn.

Hmmmm, sounds more like a female Legolas to me...
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Interesting fact: the poleaxe is actually a hammer, an axe blade may or may not be included, on a shaft the length of an average man's height. Not really a polearm or an axe.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2019
    Hmmmm, sounds more like a female Legolas to me...

@Balrog99 Now you're being mean. I want to be Aragorn without beard and pipe, and you compare me to that blonde :)

The important difference between them (apart from the elf being very afraid of balrogs) is the way they look after a battle or a long day in the forest. So, I'm definitely not Legolas.

Balrog99
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Hmm. I dont get the question often, but i’d reckon a plate mail, helmet and spear.

I spent some time in the army when I was young. We used to wear a:
    - 13 layer kevlar vest with a ceramic armor inlay,
    - kevlar helmet and
    - rifle (with a bayonet..).

It wasnt comfortable, but you end up getting used to it.

It would be obvious to make a level 7 dual into a cleric to make the most of that spear proficiency.
    ZaghoulSkatan