Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Dushai really shouldn't be able to be charmed with the hotfix installed. Her base save vs. breath is 5, and the +5 bonus will bring it to 0. Algernon's Cloak has a -1 save penalty, but that brings it to 1, which is supposed to be a 0% chance of failure.

If you actually need a 0 for a guaranteed successful saving throw instead of a 1, then there would be a 2.5% (1 in 40) chance of success in charming Dushai.

The +5 error to LoB saves was introduced in v2.5, but prior to that it was still possible to charm Dushai - you may remember @Harpagornis and I gently competing to see how many more than 100 attempts it was necessary to get success there. Therefore it would be expected that the save fix still allows her to be charmed - though with difficulty.

As to why she can be charmed, I agree that seems odd. Is this an instance of critical failure? While rolling a 1 shouldn't in itself result in a critical failure, is it possible it does so when the roll would only succeed by virtue of the adjustment to the roll? I think I remember @kjeron talking about odd boundary conditions for rolls - anything to add here?
  • Mr_SaltyMr_Salty Member Posts: 188
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Thats strange cause Vitiare - at least in my installation - is always an easy target to get invis potions right at the start. The other potion is in the left locked chest of the Trader who gives you the Violet Potion @Mr_Salty. If its not there you are maybe using other mods?! ;)

With a few exceptions, all of the potions @Harpagornis lists are added by SCS. I think there's an element of chance about whether a particular individual has invisibility potions, though mages and thieves are pretty safe bets for those. There's definitely though an impact from your installation options - you can choose the extent to which potions on enemies break during the fight.

u mean SCS drops potions on class based ? i went there as fighter class and mage/cleric those 3 potions always dropped for me havent tested other classes tho
    btw what u guys think of
    No Traps or Locks (Weimer)
    All games

All floor traps that can be disarmed are removed from the game. All door and container traps are removed from the game. All locked doors and containers have their lockpick difficulty set to 0 (they can be bashed open by anyone in one blow) unless they require a key. All hidden doors have their detect difficulty set to 0 (anyone will detect them by standing around long enough). "Special" traps remain. Note that since the traps are gone entirely you cannot get XP by disarming them.

this is kinda to cheesy no ?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mr_Salty: Meh. All traps in the game can be avoided or tanked if you use the right resources. Installing the mod would just mean you'd have to drink fewer potions and pay less attention to your surroundings. It will decrease the difficulty and make it easier to beat the game no-reload, but it won't be a major game-changer for any class.
    edited April 2019
    @Mr_Salty: Meh. All traps in the game can be avoided or tanked if you use the right resources. Installing the mod would just mean you'd have to drink fewer potions and pay less attention to your surroundings. It will decrease the difficulty and make it easier to beat the game no-reload, but it won't be a major game-changer for any class.

alright no major gamechanger is accepteble then (i didnt mind the traps at all its just some locks that i cant open is realy annoying me i like to loot everything hahaha)

it would be nicer if u could open 50% chests on 18 str 20 str 65% chests 25 str all chests ... with a little effort ofcourse even with max str there are still so many chests u cannot open that kinda frustrates me haha
    The absence of locks would be a game-changer for a few classes. Notably, single-classed clerics and warriors would be able to get the Sundermaul, opening up a +3 weapon that benefits from STR bonuses for both main hand and off hand.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    No traps? No locks? I dont like this! B)
    edited April 2019
    No traps? No locks? I dont like this! B)

figures... lol.

im thinking of discontinuing my kensai its just to hard, playing is not that hard its knowing your stuff what u need to bring to the fight,i am sure getting the kensai towards SoD is not that hard, getting to some boss in SoD and then finding out o i needed that item from BG 1 into SoD and fucking up like that is realy realy bad haha. and i feel stupid to keep asking u guys

P.S it is not about the trap/lock mod hahaha
    Mr_Salty wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Thats strange cause Vitiare - at least in my installation - is always an easy target to get invis potions right at the start. The other potion is in the left locked chest of the Trader who gives you the Violet Potion @Mr_Salty. If its not there you are maybe using other mods?! ;)

With a few exceptions, all of the potions @Harpagornis lists are added by SCS. I think there's an element of chance about whether a particular individual has invisibility potions, though mages and thieves are pretty safe bets for those. There's definitely though an impact from your installation options - you can choose the extent to which potions on enemies break during the fight.

u mean SCS drops potions on class based ? i went there as fighter class and mage/cleric those 3 potions always dropped for me havent tested other classes tho

Potions are not affected by what class you are, but the type of potions given to enemies by SCS are influenced by their class. The potions you referred to that Vitiare had are all the standard ones provided in vanilla, i.e. he either used additional ones from SCS or those were all broken as a result of your installation options.
    edited April 2019
    Even thoug low on time and focus Loreth continued...

On her way back to the city of Baldurs Gate Loreth got ambushed by the infamous Bandit Archers and thanks to not using a invisibility potion things got pretty close after dropping down to 9 HP – phew → To rescue Duke Eltan from the Greater Doppleganger Loreth charmed Benjy, Dilos and Kent to make things easier after its buff expired. Even though its much harder to hit the beast now no one got killed and Duke Eltan was taken to safety

The preperation for Slythe was straightforward: Lay seven traps, charm the five guards plus the 500+ HP monster Larze, buff up with Oil of Speed and Potion of Mind Focusing → After that Slythe was lured into Loreths new friends, while the first Arrow of Dispelling landed thanks to a 17 roll removing his buffs → Send one Guard to Kristin to decoy her a little longer so she could not land Confusion into the group. However she completly ignored everyone and moved straight to Loreth who quickly gulped a Potion of Magic Blocking while still shooting Acid Arrows on Slythe → Before the evil Mage could land any more spells big bad Larze took Slythe down with a 19 damage blow → Looted Slythe and moved out without any deaths this time – nice!

Time for the Palace Ambush:
    → Laid down seven traps on the stairs
    → Charmed the Shaman
    → Waited one hour and charmed the Greater Doppleganger left from the Mage
    → Waited one hour and finally charmed the Mage Doppleganger, moved him to the stairs
    → Rested outside to get down the Charm Timer
    → Charmed all four Amnian Guards outside the Palace and lured them in with force-attack
    → Placed the four charmed ones around the Assassin to protect Belt from the stabs
    → Buffed up with Oil of Speed & Potions of Mind Focusing (THAC0 = 1 /w Piercing Arrows)
    → Started the fight against the three remaining Dopplegangers who immediately targeted Liia while Loreth had trouble landing Arrows of Dispelling on them. Moved two charmed Guards to Belt and Liia and after being dispelled all three dropped down fast. Liia was already badly wounded while Belt only slightly injured.
    → After waiting „a bit“ the next Doppleganger transformed who was no big deal as he was surrouned by guards quickly
    → The Shaman however managed to tackle on Belt quite a lot bringing him down to injured before getting killed. Greenstone Amulet protected Loreth while shooting Arrows of Dispelling & Piercing.
    → Finally the Mage transfomed and instantly went down to injured thanks to the trap damage (12+10+15+13+13+10) while all the charmed guards made it impossible for him to escape from the stairs. Being tired and a bit lazy Loreth had used a PfM scroll (i never use all of them anyway) as i always have the talent not taking notice when Potions of Magic Blocking expire while also remembering that a well-timed Chromatic Orb could easily end the run here. However: With magic immunity and buffed up fire resistance Loreth dispelled the Mage after five shots (only 29 Arrows of Dispelling left) switching to Arrows of Piercing while the Guards and Belt constantly interrupted his spells so he went down suprisingly fast this time
    → Before talking the Belt Loreth quickly moved the charmed Guards around Sarevok so at the end both Liia (still badly wounded) and Belt (near death) survived before the evil brother escaped again

Back in the Thieves Guild Denkod appears and with him three Rogues. After the talking all got charmed by the Nymph Cloak and were feeded to the ever hungry Carrion Crawlers still waiting outside which resulted in 4+2+2 invisbility potions as one of the Rogues only dropped a Potion of Healing.

Next stops Durlags Tower and hunting down Sarevok...
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    @Harpagornis: Smart work on surrounding Belt with those charmed guards. I've also used the carrion crawlers to devour charmed characters, though in my case it was Halbazzer Drin for an extra Nymph Cloak. I'm unfamiliar with the Thieves Guild, so I've never thought to poke around much.
    As for mod-introduced classes, the Alchemist kit could probably handle the challenge despite being a mage kit. At level 11, it can create +3 grenades that would deal 4d6 base damage to Belhifet and hit automatically, though they're stuck at 1 APR. If you had at least 150 Potions of Invisibility, you could kite him to death with grenades, vanishing with a Potion of Invisibility after every attack. It would be expensive, but still very doable.
    @Grond0, do you think the War Hulk has any chance in this challenge? If you drank multiple Potions of Invulnerability and/or Potions of Magic Shielding, you could avoid a rage spiral against Belhifet, and the absurd damage bonuses would make it much easier to kill him. Dealing 50+ damage per round on everything but a critical miss would let you kill Belhifet about as fast as a ranger or paladin, and you would easily have the HP to tank him with very few Potions of Heroism or Power; a level 10 dwarven War Hulk should have 205 base HP.
    By the way: I'm back up to SoD now, just having finished Coast Way Crossing and ready for the Troll Claw Woods. Killing Teleria and her stone golem isn't too hard if you buff with a Potion of Mirrored Eyes to block her Flesh to Stone spell and two Potions of Absorption to cripple her golem's physical attacks, and equip Spider's Bane or the Ring of Free Action to block her opening Slow spell. After that, Arrows of Dispelling took care of her.

I had a problem along the way, though: apparently the Protection from Undead scroll I got from one of the petrified people in Coast Way Crossing in my previous run is not a guaranteed drop; it's random. I didn't get it in this run, and since I spent my Protection from Undead scrolls on the Narcillicus area, the Sarevok fight, and the starting dungeon of SoD, I had to fight my way through the Coldhearth dungeon normally.

An Archer doesn't have the stats to clear out all those monsters without burning some important potions, and the chance of getting boxed in worried me: the entry point to the lich's lair isn't exactly the same as the exit point, so it's entirely possible for you to flee the area, return, and find yourself stuck, and walled off from the exit. However, by very carefully kiting the enemy and using Acid Arrows and the Ring of Energy on the Bonebats and Bronze Sentry, occasionally using stealth or Potions of Invisibility to escape the area or manipulate enemy movement patterns so I wouldn't get boxed in, I was able to remove the only enemies that could see through regular invisibility.

A sticking point was a Shadowed Soul, who could easily deal more damage to me per round than I could deal to them, dealing 16 HP per hit (32 if bonus damage were enabled!) with Drain Life. Instead, I attacked the Bonebats, prompting the Shadowed Soul to heal the Bonebat rather than deal damage to me. Once the Shadowed Soul got to Near Death, I finished it off with some +1 arrows. Judging by the spell file, it looks like the Shadowed Soul gets an extra 8d3 HP per casting regardless of difficulty-based damage bonuses or the magical damage resistance of the target (so a Potion of Magic Shielding will protect you from the damage, but it won't stop the Shadowed Soul from healing itself).

It took a really long time, but once I got rid of the Bronze Sentry and the Bonebats, I could skip all the other enemies with a Potion of Invisibility so I could go straight to the lich and give him the dwarves' amulets, just like if I had had an extra Protection from Undead scroll. But it cost me a fair number of potions and Ring of Energy charges as well as extra Acid Arrows, as well as a lot more time and a lot more risk.

Also, I've gotten some extra resources by charming Elwood Dowser and the other crusaders after hiding behind a tent during the bridge fight at Coastway Crossing (not to be confused with the Bridgefort bridge fight; I wish we had better names for them). They don't go anywhere after the fight, so you can just charm them and feed them to the local spiders.

I currently have 15 Potions of Heroism, and Belegarm still has 5 to sell me when I can afford it. Apparently I got 10 Potions of Heroism during BG1, though I don't know all from where.
    @Grond0, do you think the War Hulk has any chance in this challenge? If you drank multiple Potions of Invulnerability and/or Potions of Magic Shielding, you could avoid a rage spiral against Belhifet, and the absurd damage bonuses would make it much easier to kill him. Dealing 50+ damage per round on everything but a critical miss would let you kill Belhifet about as fast as a ranger or paladin, and you would easily have the HP to tank him with very few Potions of Heroism or Power; a level 10 dwarven War Hulk should have 205 base HP.

I think it would - it would require patience, but pretty much everything needs that for this challenge anyway. The way I played it didn't allow any use of ranged weapons (or healing of course), so there would be potentially be a lot of hit and run attacks needed. If you used Algernon's Cloak extensively though you could reduce that considerably and the extra THAC0 and damage would probably allow slightly quicker progress than with most classes.

I could perhaps have a go and check it out once I've finished with another current project.
    How big of a handicap is it to not have access to stealth/Invisibility/Sanctuary when using Algernon's Cloak? I've been very leery of the prospect of handling Drasus or performing the basilisk XP loop without access to invisibility.
    I don't allow getting multiple XP awards from the same creatures, so the loop is not an issue for me. Drasus should be easy - pull him away from others and use hit and run attacks.
    How big of a handicap is it to not have access to stealth/Invisibility/Sanctuary when using Algernon's Cloak? I've been very leery of the prospect of handling Drasus or performing the basilisk XP loop without access to invisibility.

@semiticgod

when i do the basilisk xp loop i get 1 PFP from circus and 1 invis potion and start xp loop with that i go durlags tower with invis go 1st floor walk past the ghast (i always save up at this point so the ghast does not see me and i try to run for the door trap mostly stuns me so i either reload or rest up and continue i always reload cause i would like to keep invis for the next part to get to the roof use pfp there charm the basilisk and then tank the other basi shots while using the other basi out of range to stone him it can happen sometimes that the enemy bas will stone your basi but i just unstone it and keep going, it has never failed me like this
    i am thinking of redoing the kensai again but this time without xp cap (and not doing xp looping ofcourse and see if this is a realy big changer, i think i will get level 9 instead of 8 with the xp cap off thats not a big deal i think)
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 2019
    The newest SCS versions scale back a lot in Invisibility Potions, that's why @Mr_Salty didn't get it from Vitiare. Also example Thieves Guild didn't give them either in my last playthrough.
    What @histamiini? But i am also using the latest SCS version 31 - thats strange. Maybe its remembering some entries from the older one? If so the whole list is crap... :/
    edited April 2019
    @Grond0: When you say luring Drasus away from the others, do you mean running from him far, far away from the other party members so his superior movement rate leaves them behind? It didn't seem possible until I factored in the role of his Boots of Speed.

Have you had any trouble with Kysus or Rezdan using Dimension Door to catch up to you? I've seen at least one of them use the spell before.
    edited April 2019
    Despite using the "wrong" SCS version Loreth continued her adventure going for the final two places...

Durlags Tower:
    First collect the invisbility potions in the Tower (2. and 3. Floor) before heading down into the dungeon. Buffed up with Fire and Lightning Resistance Loreth quickly stealthed through enemy lines grabbing all quest items without problems while using stealth and disarm trap to park the Skeletons and get the wine. Once the Warders transformed Fear and Avarice quickly followed Loreth who lured them away to the wine press. Love refused to follow at the start but after avoiding his Charm/Slow spells multiple times he tried to hunt down Loreth who slowly lured him upstairs. Once Love was parked in the Basement Level Loreth used stealth-attacks before instantly retreating downstairs. As she needed to roll 15+ this took some time but poor Love never ever got the chance to do anything but drop down like a sack potatoes.

Heading down using Loves Wardstone Loreth avoided all Dopplegangers quickly looting Kiels Helmet and shortly after Durlags Goblet – job done.

Sarevok:
    Charmed Rahvin, Wudei, Carston, Gorf and Shaldrissa (18 tries) and lured them into the temple parking them behind the pillar in the SW. Sarevok himself was lured to the SE so everyone followed him except Angelo. As hitting the Mage with Arrows of Dispelling proved to be difficult Loreth went the easy path: Potion of Magic Blocking to soak up Remove Magic (so he cant dispel the charm spell of the others accidently!), Chaos etc. before going invisible again waiting out for his buffs to expire. This continued another two time until Angelo ran out out spells (and invisibility potions) so Rahvin and his party could now safely join the fun. Wudei manage to paralyze him with the third Hold Person for instant win.

Next part was the usual Necklace of Missiles burning: Semaj (24), Diarmid (28), Tazok (32). Two Skeleton Warriors started moving so they were easily dispatched before taking on Sarevok himself who slaughtered through Rahvins party slowly but surely. Gorf proved to be his toughest oppenent and after the big one went down Sarevok had 180 HP left. As Loreth did not try to waste her Arrows of Dispelling she switched to the remaining five Potions of Firebreath and three Potions of Explosions while also using 12 charges of the Necklace of Missiles. This put the evil brother down to 10 HP so Loreth decided to end this battle in style using her beloved out-of-stealth-attacks. Luck was on her side and she rolled a 19 on the very first try damaging Sarevok for 18+1 damage – GG.

As the final cutscene did not trigger Loreth had to be manually placed outside the temple again so after reentering everything worked like intended – SoD will be calling soon. ;)
    Most of the new changes appear to impact BG2 rather than BG1, so I think I'm good with my current SCS install for my Archer run. But I'd like to upgrade to SCS v32 for my BG2 install. Unfortunately, I've had great difficulty modifying my install--do you guys think it would be safe for me to simply uninstall my existing version of SCS, copy over the new version, and install that one, leaving the rest of my mods unchanged?

Making a clean install has failed recently for me, since Steam appears to keep borrowing files from the old install and copying them over rather than actually installing a clean game.

Right now, my Archer is at the Coalition Camp, having burned a bunch of Ring of Energy charges and Potions of Firebreath to kite the enemies at the Bridgefort battle while protected by a Protection from Magic scroll and a Chaotic Commands scroll on top to block any Darts of Stunning the enemy might use on us.

Unfortunately, I neglected to grab the Voidstone Shards and as a result I have no Void-Tipped Arrows +3. Tanking Belhifet is going to be our only option, whether it's with +3 weapons or Arrows of Detonation. We cannot tack on damage via kiting while using our summoned critters to distract the demons.

With 90 Arrows of Detonation, we can deal 877.5 damage to Belhifet with them. However, I might need some arrows for the Coalition Camp invasion. @histamiini, how would you minimize the use of Arrows of Detonation during the Coalition Camp invasion? Every Arrow of Detonation I use during the invasion means I give up 9.75 free damage against Belhifet, and that could really make the difference between victory and defeat. In my previous run, I only had 32 Arrows of Detonation by the time I got to Dragonspear Castle, which would only get me 292.5 free damage on Belhifet.

Currently the plan for Belhifet is to begin with conventional tanking with Potions of Heroism and Champion's Strength scrolls, which we'll do in two separate sessions, with a Potion of Invisibility to buy us time to cast the scrolls again. If I only get half my normal APR, 20 rounds of 5 Champion's Strength scrolls will buy us 583 damage on Belhifet, and we can do this twice, for 1,167 total damage. If we have 30 Arrows of Detonation, we'll deal 292.5 additional damage, for 1,459.5 total damage. After that, our last Champion's Strength scroll will buy us 8.8 net damage per round for another 26 rounds. Belhifet will regenerate almost 200 HP by the time our Potions of Heroism run out.
    After some testing, I've found an incredibly important detail for tanking Belhifet: if you're using single-handed weapons, you have to make sure you're RIGHT next to Belhifet before you attack. If you allow even a tiny amount of space in between your character and Belhifet, demons could crowd in and push you out of range of Belhifet, making it impossible to reach Belhifet without using a ranged or two-handed weapon.

That killed two of my test runs with the old save, so it's not a rare event. If you back into a corner to face Belhifet, you have to make sure to move slightly closer to him before attacking, or else you will be trapped and incapable of making any attack rolls on Belhifet.

The situation looks friendlier to the Archer than I had feared. Here's the key: if you have over 400 maximum HP when you begin tanking, you can alternate between drinking Potions of Power and Durlag's Goblet and still stay safe at the beginning of the fight. This will steadily improve your maximum HP and not only make your Durlag's Goblet charges last longer, but also give you the time to use Greater Restoration scrolls instead of Durlag's Goblet (which are more plentiful but much slower to use) and the HP to survive tanking with Arrows of Detonation, which do in fact make it possible to clear the field of lesser demons. Potions of Invisibility can let you escape the attention of most enemies, but summoning items may be necessary to lure demons away from you and actually let you run away.

I tested with 20 Potions of Heroism and 16 Potions of Power, dual-wielding the +3 longsword and a non-proficient Root of the Problem (the +2 damage to unnatural critters doesn't get reduced by Belhifet's damage resistances, so it deals slightly more damage than a +3 shortsword). By the time Belhifet croaked, we had 700 HP, a few charges left in Durlag's Goblet, and about 20 Greater Restoration scrolls.

For no-reload purposes, it's best to wear Kiel's Helmet rather than the Helm of Balduran, because it's very easy to see a Potion of Clarity wear off or forget to drink another. Even if you equip Kiel's Helmet before drinking from Durlag's Goblet, it's still not safe because it won't protect you from the demons' fear spells if you're wearing the Helm of Balduran most of the time, and the alternatives to a Potion of Clarity (Potions of Invulnerability, Stone Form, or Magic Shielding) don't last any longer than a Potion of Clarity, and can all wear off when you're not paying attention.

So, it's very much doable. However, you need to stay right next to Belhifet's circle to make sure you don't get boxed out, and you need to enter with 400 HP so you can start drinking Potions of Power while tanking in between Durlag's Goblet charges, making the goblet last longer and making Greater Restoration scrolls safer to use.
    Most of the new changes appear to impact BG2 rather than BG1, so I think I'm good with my current SCS install for my Archer run. But I'd like to upgrade to SCS v32 for my BG2 install. Unfortunately, I've had great difficulty modifying my install--do you guys think it would be safe for me to simply uninstall my existing version of SCS, copy over the new version, and install that one, leaving the rest of my mods unchanged?

Making a clean install has failed recently for me, since Steam appears to keep borrowing files from the old install and copying them over rather than actually installing a clean game.

that will fail u have to reinstall every mod over again! i always do in steam uninstall then go to the place where the game was supposed to be (the folder of the game is still there with the mods Delete Those manualy then reinstall the game tru steam. then what i would like to do @semiticgod is copy that fresh install folder onto a drive with space as a backup for future fresh installs with updated mods will be much faster!)
    edited April 2019
    @semiticgod Don't know if there's a way for an Archer to save Arrow's of Detonation in Crusader Attacks, maybe try to use OGL every round? Tanking is also always an option if you want to spend Heroism and Power Potions. Btw does using items reduce the apr you should get from weapons?
    @histamiini: It takes 1-2 seconds to use the OGL, which will take away 1-2 APR for a 4 APR Archer. OGL does 10.5 damage on a successful save while an Arrow of Detonation will deal 28, so it's a distinct loss in damage output. It could save a few arrows, though.

Still, it looks like I'd need only 10-20 Arrows of Detonation to clear the field twice during the Belhifet fight, and I'm not sure I'd need to do it twice. During my test, clearing the field just once was fine.