Skip to content

Saved game crashes on rest

benndakbenndak Member Posts: 3
edited May 2019 in Troubleshooting
I've got a savegame here which crashes whenever I try to rest. This is a new bug but it's one which evaded me for a few hours so I don't really know when it started or what exactly causes it. I've already tried disabling movies. I have no bags of holding causing issues. I already tried changing the rendering options and not alt-tabbing.

It must be save related, because starting a new one or loading all the way back to the beginning of chapter 2 lets me rest without issue. Please help me out!
Post edited by benndak on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello! Please change the renderer in Options - Graphics - and try again.
  • benndakbenndak Member Posts: 3
    Hi; like I mentioned in the OP, it doesn't seem to have any effect when I do that. I finally figured out how to attach files though so the savegame + crash dump files are now up there if that helps.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @benndak, I loaded the game and had no problems resting. I have uploaded the 'rested' version just to see if that changed anything in your game... open up and try to rest again.

If it does, it may have been just a little niggle... and things might progress on from this point.

If it doesn't, then it is likely to be a driver issue. Are you running on Window 10 at all? If so, they have recently had an update patch which may have overwritten your graphics drivers. You could run DXDIAG (from your commmand prompt to see what is happening. If you need a hand, just ask here. If you want, you can upload the DXDIAG report, and I can take a look and see if there are any problems.

When requesting help, would you be able to advise on which game it is (it was initially crashing my BG1EE game on start, so I thought that it might have been a corrupt saved game), whether you have any mods installed etc, and what operating system you are using?

Thanks
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 999
    I don't believe it has anything to do with drivers or the like. The .DMP shows that it is a crash in the Interact() script action. I have tested and confirmed that if the Interact() action is passed an invalid object, it will crash the game. Also, it appears that the game is modded, as there are invalid items in the inventory.

@benndak: Since Gusinda and I don't crash when we load up your save, I can only assume it is a mod-script that is causing the damage. If you are indeed running a modded game, can you please upload your WeiDU.log?
    JuliusBorisovGusindaRaduziel
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Bubb, may I ask what you are using to look at the .dmp? I have tried various diagnostic applications with no success...

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    If you can rest without crashing only while everyone is already at full health, it is likely crashing when attempting to cast healing spells on rest.
    If a memorized spell has an unsupported opcode or more than 255 effects in a single ability, it will crash, both of which would indicate mods.
    RaduzielGusindaJuliusBorisov
  • benndakbenndak Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the lack of info in the topic, I posted it really late at night haha. It is indeed BG2EE. I've attached the WEIDU log - I used BWP, so there's a bunch of stuff and most of it I hadn't ever used before 'cause I was curious about it. That said I'm not even using the custom NPCs or any modded items or spells beyond the Tweak Pack, plus it crashes with or without changing the rendering options + disabling rest until healed. Is there any way to tell what the broken interact is trying to act on so I can remove it? Like I said, I can load a (much) earlier version of this save and it still works, and I haven't changed anything mod-wise.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    benndak wrote: »
    disabling rest until healed.
    This only prevents the game from forcing you to rest multiple times until every one is fully healed.
    The initial "Heal on Rest" still occurs, and I don't think there is any way to disable it, aside from having everyone at full health.
  • hronkhronk Member Posts: 3
    In a surprising turn of events I stumbled on a solution to this, or at least my variant of it.

Repro:
    Fight in the first floor of Watcher's Keep. At some point, with no clear associated reason the game will start crashing when you try to save, other than it doesn't seem to happen without combat. I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Investigation:
    Changing zones or passing time with control-T didn't do anything. Running back to an inn didn't do anything. I eventually had the idea to kick everyone out of the party - surprisingly, that worked. I narrowed it down a single beat-up Jan. Then I had the bright idea to cheat-heal him.

Fix:
    Use the control-R cheat on each of your characters to heal them, even if they don't look like they have any damage. That should let you successfully rest again.

Theory:
    Some sort of status effect, or summon, or world effect in WK is getting applied and not cleaned up correctly on rest.

Changes I've made to the base installation:
    SCS 32.7
    Ascension 2.0.8
    Testing further, I got a repro where only CHARNAME is the problem, and force-healing him solves it. I had the bright idea of stripping him naked in various orders and narrowed the crash down to a single item: the pale green ioun stone.

I guess there's some bug with hit-point recalculation (and SCS?) making it crash.
    Some diagnostics over at the SCS thread on Gibberlings 3 revealed at as yet another variant of the "lockup due to hundreds of something being evaluated for resting." In this case, for some reason at levels 5? to 15? or so my CHARNAME was acquiring a bunch of new Slayer Form abilities on rest; it was up to 600. Editing the save game to force it back down to 1 solved it, and had to be done periodically because it kept climbing.

For no apparent reason this stopped at level 15 or so, switching back to 1 charge.
    JuliusBorisovBeefTac0
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The proper fix for those extra copies of Slayer form:

You have two choices.
    1) Don't go to Watcher's Keep until ToB.
    2) Update Ascension to 2.08 or later.

There are also some global variables associated with the improved Slayer transformation, which you can reset to end this problem until your next WK visit.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BeefTac0BeefTac0 Member Posts: 1
    hronk wrote: »
    Some diagnostics over at the SCS thread on Gibberlings 3 revealed at as yet another variant of the "lockup due to hundreds of something being evaluated for resting." In this case, for some reason at levels 5? to 15? or so my CHARNAME was acquiring a bunch of new Slayer Form abilities on rest; it was up to 600. Editing the save game to force it back down to 1 solved it, and had to be done periodically because it kept climbing.

For no apparent reason this stopped at level 15 or so, switching back to 1 charge.

Hi! I've been having the same issue and was wondering how you managed to set the slayer form abilities to 1, instead of 600? Shadowkeeper seemingly only allows me to remove my slayer form abilities 1 at a time, and there has to be a faster way of doing it