Skip to content

[v3.1] Glam's NPC Pack for BG:EE, BGTutu and BGTrilogy! 4 new NPCs inside!

Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
edited May 2020 in BG:EE Mods
nowxojcuv4zu.jpg

WHAT IS THIS?
Glam's NPC Pack includes the original Vynd, Drow Assassin NPC mod as well as four brand new NPCs, all of whom will interact with each other and the classic Baldur’s Gate cast. Each one includes a friendship track and an array of player-initiated dialogue, with more options opening up as the game progresses.

You want quests? This time we got ‘em! Three of the four new characters come with their own personal missions, which must be completed to unlock all their player-initiated dialogue, plus a final, loyalty-inspired talk in the endgame.

You want loot? There’s plenty of new and unique items to be had; some supplied with the characters, others found through their quests, or just indiscriminate slaughter. Hoard them all!

You want romance? Nope. Sorry.

WHO ARE THEY?

LITTLUN PLUNKETT
3d8u8yjud0mc.jpg
“I don’t necessarily like shooting people. Some people just need shot.”

When asked about her past, Littlun proudly informs you of how she was taken in as a baby by a tribe of elves, who raised her as one of their own. However, while she is very much a product of the wilds, the mechanical, rapid-fire crossbow she carries is the work of her long-deceased father, once a master craftsman and wandering scholar. She is a walking contradiction, a juxtaposition of untamed nature and advanced technology.

Race: Halfling
Class: Archer
Alignment: Neutral Good
STR: 13
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 14
CHA: 12
Proficiencies: Crossbow, Axe, Dagger

UHnGZp9.jpg

VYND
xm3ljq3x9ii0.png
“Why leave? Because in the Underdark, there are mind flayers, beholders and aboleths. Up here, there are sheep. And trees. So I weighed things up and I thought, you know what? How bad could a little sunburn possibly be?”

When asked about his past, Vynd wonders aloud how you'd feel if some nosy bastard you barely know asked for your life story. You've pieced together that he's not new to the surface world, and he left the Underdark by choice. Beyond that, he remains a mystery. A snide, abrasive mystery.

Race: Drow
Class: Assassin
Alignment: Neutral Evil
STR: 16
DEX: 19
CON: 15
INT: 16
WIS: 10
CHA: 11

4PlcwBT.jpg

MOIDRE
e7qdmxkw03m4.jpg
“Violence is a fact of life, war is a corpse mill, and blood is red juice that stains. I won’t put out my eyes to see glory where there is none.”

When asked about her past, Moidre says little, which you've quickly come to realise is normal for her. Her helmet, which she refuses to remove even when ordered, hides her countenance from the world, and her voice rarely wavers from its flat inflection, making her as easy to engage with as a brick; however, her intense discipline marks her as something more than common sellsword.

Race: Dwarf
Class: Dwarven Defender
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
STR: 18/87
DEX: 15
CON: 19
INT: 11
WIS: 10
CHA: 6
Proficiencies: War Hammer, Sword & Shield Style

4XjVYTx.jpg

DAVE
x64k9qywrpv7.jpg
“See, killing a Talassan is easy for you. Same way killing a Helmite is easy for us. But killing Joe Such-and-Such, who it turns out grew up in same town as you and makes wood carvings on his days off and still misses his mum sometimes...that's not easy. Not for anyone.”

When asked about his past, Dave chuckles and says it's not the past you should be interested in, but the present. Born to a single mother in a quiet village, Dave seems to have joined the church of Talos on a whim, for there was no outside force, nor troubled childhood, nor deranged power-hunger to compel him. Despite this, he expresses no doubts or regrets over his chosen path, and refuses to be swayed from it.

Race: Human
Class: Priest of Talos
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
STR: 13
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 14
Proficiencies: Flail/Morning Star, Sling

1b5M8zC.jpg

FLARA
ngl30rpwbd51.jpg
“Perhaps there are beings as wise as dragons, or as strong, or as majestic, but never all three. We are second to gods, and only some even then.”

Before you even had the chance to ask about her past, Flara insisted she was once a powerful red dragon, who is now trapped in human form. This may be true, or it may not; she can offer no concrete explanation for how such a predicament came about, nor does she recall much of her time before it. Nevertheless, the air around her ripples with heat, and her fiery breath is difficult to argue with, though not as much as her temperament.

Race: Human(?)
Class: Dragon Disciple
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
STR: 17
DEX: 9
CON: 15
INT: 18
WIS: 13
CHA: 15
Proficiencies: Dagger

pbLKRvB.jpg

WHERE DO I FIND THEM?
DAVE: Beregost, near the obelisk
FLARA: Nashkel, Belching Dragon Inn
LITTLUN: Bear River (Area N of Gnoll Stronghold), southwest corner
MOIDRE: Beregost, Red Sheaf Inn
VYND: Beregost, Burning Wizard Inn

DO THEY FIGHT WITH OTHER NPCS?
Only Vynd and Kivan will come to blows, and it can be prevented by talking to Vynd before things escalate too far.

ANYTHING ELSE?
Flara and Moidre must be recruited before completing the Nashkel mines! If they haven't been in the party before chapter 3, they'll disappear.

While it is intended that none of these characters (except Littlun) care about the party’s reputation, this feature still doesn’t work in the Enhanced Edition. If you want to use them all together, I recommend installing the Happy Patch component of the Tweaks Anthology. It’s okay. You’re not breaking the rules.

While Moidre is neutral, she responds best to a high reputation. If you want to get the most out of her, be good.

Keep Gorion’s letter! Having it in your inventory unlocks some additional player-initiated dialogues for each character.

Don’t tell Vynd you love him. You’ve been warned.

WHAT IF I JUST WANT VYND?
Vynd is the same snarky drow he always was, and aside from his interactions with the new NPCs, nothing’s changed. If you’ve played or intend to play the Vynd mod by itself, don’t worry. You’re not missing anything.
Post edited by Glam_Vrock on
JuliusBorisovrandomencounterronaldoRaduzielLudwig_IIProzhOlvynChuruBrokenkatanaGusindaStefanOEekanImpMantis37jmaeqlolienZaghoulSharGuidesMyHandAaeightMirandelIseweinelminsterAerakarleeuxBlackraven_DD_ThrasymachusMaarud

Comments

• Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Hoo boy. After years of procrastinating, I’m finally back with some new content for everyone! I promised myself I wouldn’t post again until I was ready to release this mod, hence my long absence. I also promised myself I wouldn’t play Siege of Dragonspear until it was done, so I still haven’t touched that game yet! I might throw these guys in there, or I might not. Have to play it through first.

The plan from the beginning was to release all these NPCs at once, but I got Vynd finished early, and I decided it’d be better to cut my teeth on a smaller mod before tackling a project this big. Now, at last, they’re all together, as Talos intended. Big thanks to everyone who’s supported the Vynd mod thus far; if not for you, I probably would never have finished this one.
    JuliusBorisovMantis37
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Congratulations! Opened a random .d file (turned out to be Dave's banters), spoiled myself, laughed out loud several times. But after Vynd, I didn't expect otherwise. :)
    (Just in case you'll tackle SoD - please do!! - I wrote some SoD NPC tutorials here.)
    And me again, with a small install report: for the backup file, you use "BACKUP ~BGEE NPC Pack/backup~" with "BGEE NPC Pack" while the mod folder is "BGEENPCPACK" (without the spaces), so installing the mod leads to another folder "BGEE NPC Pack" being created (with the backup info) which will stay after deinstallation.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Vynd is by far my favorite NPC (including the vanilla ones). This mod is a great reason to take BGEE for a new ride - I don't even need to play it to know.

Thanks for creating awesome stuff.
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Wow, @Glam_Vrock , what a comeback this is! Welcome back, and congratulations on your mod! I've just read all the descriptions, looked at charcter stats, and this looks stunning!
    lolienMirandelWise_Grimwald
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,052
    This looks cool. I'll add it to my mods to try when I'm done modding for Siege of Dragonspear.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited May 2019
    I've installed BGEENPCPACK on MacOS and found a small issue. The mod is unzipped in the BG1 installation folder as "BGEENPCPack" (no blanks in folder name. After installation there is a second folder named "BGEE NPC Pack" (blanks in folder name). This folder contains the "backup" directory which should be located in "BGEENPCPack". Please see the screenshot.

iiyi67rgmcvt.jpg
    jastey wrote: »
    And me again, with a small install report: for the backup file, you use "BACKUP ~BGEE NPC Pack/backup~" with "BGEE NPC Pack" while the mod folder is "BGEENPCPACK" (without the spaces), so installing the mod leads to another folder "BGEE NPC Pack" being created (with the backup info) which will stay after deinstallation.
    StefanO wrote: »
    I've installed BGEENPCPACK on MacOS and found a small issue. The mod is unzipped in the BG1 installation folder as "BGEENPCPack" (no blanks in folder name. After installation there is a second folder named "BGEE NPC Pack" (blanks in folder name). This folder contains the "backup" directory which should be located in "BGEENPCPack". Please see the screenshot.

This should now be fixed. Thanks, folks.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Any chance for a non EE version of this mod? :pensive:
    Isewein
    Wow, do people still use Tutu and BGT? I figured we'd all moved on at this point.

The pieces are in place to make this mod non-EE friendly. I'll make that my next priority. Only issue is kits; I doubt Beamdog wants me straight up copying their content and releasing it in a mod, so Moidre and Flara will probably just have to be a vanilla Fighter and Sorcerer.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    edited May 2019
    @Glam_Vrock If you use HANDLE_AUDIO, you might want to remove gv#npcpack_install/gv#npcpack_uninstall.bat files.
    Glam_Vrock wrote: »
    Wow, do people still use Tutu and BGT? I figured we'd all moved on at this point.

The pieces are in place to make this mod non-EE friendly. I'll make that my next priority. Only issue is kits; I doubt Beamdog wants me straight up copying their content and releasing it in a mod, so Moidre and Flara will probably just have to be a vanilla Fighter and Sorcerer.

I sadly can't switch. Too much work went into my install already. :'(

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Honestly I use BGT too. So... it would be appreciated :)
    Compatibility tweaks are taking longer than anticipated. I've got the mod installing without errors on Tutu and Trilogy, but something about the characters isn't playing nicely with the classic version, and over half of them crash the game as soon as they spawn. I'm guessing it's the colours.
    Tutu/Trilogy compatible version is now up! Kinda hurts to have to change everyone's colour palettes; I liked them as they were. Still, from my end, everything seems to be working. Go wild.
    AKrugBierJuliusBorisovIsewein
    edited May 2019
    I think it's possible to reconstruct the colour palette of your chars with this mod component of 1pp4 in BGT:

~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended): v4.1.0 BWP Fix

Flara's Major colour in EE is colour 126, and the same colour (126) does also exist in my BGT install because of 1pp4. A little query in the install (does BGT user have 1pp4 installed?) should do the trick.
    The problem there is that I'd still need to include two versions of every cre file, one for people who have 1PP and one for those who don't. There are about 20 characters in this mod; I don't want things getting too bloated, especially if I'll be making changes later.
    Arthas
    As you provided support for BGT may I ask for EET support too?
    I've been out of the modding loop for a while; the last I heard of EET, it was bundled with some crazy Mary Sue character that overtook the entire game, and the author had a bunch of fake accounts praising their own work. Has that changed? Is it just a sane, regular mod now? Either way I have zero experience with it, so compatibility will probably take some time unless it's super easy to implement.
    AKrugBier
    edited May 2019
    I've been out of the modding loop for a while; the last I heard of EET, it was bundled with some crazy Mary Sue character that overtook the entire game, and the author had a bunch of fake accounts praising their own work. Has that changed? Is it just a sane, regular mod now? Either way I have zero experience with it, so compatibility will probably take some time unless it's super easy to implement.

Hell no. Sorry.

The EET project is run by @k4thos, a very respected modder. Many mods are already EET compatible, please see the Mod Compatibility List for EET.

The crazy Mary Sue character you mentioned is called Sandrah und is a totally different animal. Sandrah is installed on top of EET. I would never promote Sandrah.
    Nobody would, to be honest.
    edited May 2019

What @StefanO said. What you "heard" where the rumors the author of said Sandrah Saga mod spread especially here at BeamDog's using all those fake accounts. Sandrah Saga needs EET. EET has nothing to do with the Sandrah Saga. EET is just BG:EE+SoD+BGII:EE in one go, with an according worldmap and continuity if NPCs die in BG1.
    (k4thos is @swit here, I think.)
    Isewein
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited May 2019
    Either way I have zero experience with it, so compatibility will probably take some time unless it's super easy to implement.
    Considering you already use cpmvars it's a matter of adding eet_cpmvars.tpa and updating tp2 to take into account another platform (done in the attached file). I've edited your platform detection code from FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME to GAME_IS since checking if Neera exists is not good enough to differentiate BG:EE from EET.

If you're going to implement SoD content (or BG2 version of your NPCs) at some point please read "Adding support for NPC transition system" section of this file: https://cdn.rawgit.com/K4thos/EET/master/EET/docs/Modder's Notes.html
    RaduzielStefanO
    Oh. Well, there we go, then. Mod is now EET compatible, link updated. Thanks, K4thos. Sorry I associated your work with the weird egomaniac.
    RaduzielswitIseweinWise_Grimwald
    Oh my god. I just checked out Sandrah and she has Vynd crossmod content. The writing's a bit vague, so I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure he ends up propositioning her, even though nothing short of outright mind control would compel Vynd to sleep with a woman anymore.

This is amazing. I'm so hyped to see what she has for these guys.
    OlvynChuru
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Yup, that sounds like Roxxane.
    megamike15
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Oh my god. I just checked out Sandrah and she has Vynd crossmod content. The writing's a bit vague, so I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure he ends up propositioning her, even though nothing short of outright mind control would compel Vynd to sleep with a woman anymore.

This is amazing. I'm so hyped to see what she has for these guys.

it was not just the modder making alts that got them in trouble. they make cross mod with out the author's concent.
    Wise_Grimwald
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I actually laughed when I saw the crossmod for my NPCs. I just don't care anymore because I can't even take Roxanne seriously at this point. It's very likely she took a quick glance at character descriptions then decided to write whatever the hell she felt like doing, and her writing is so bloody incomprehensible that at times it felt like I was reading some sort of The Room-Backstroke of the West hybrid.
    megamike15IseweinAngulimala
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,052
    edited May 2019
    From reading it over, Vynd and Sandrah definitely knock boots, there's a fade to black execution right after that proposition.

I don't want to knock on another modder, it takes a ton of work and there was a lot put in here, but it definitely could use some revising to remove some Mary Sue and classical bad fanfiction (modfiction?) elements.

In regards to your own mod, I've spent some time reading over the lines and the characterization and personalities are awesome. I love the quips, quirks, and bounce of the lines, and the humor works. I thought Flara would be my least favorite with the red dragon claiming gig, but it pulls off well as an outrageous absurdity that adds humor and avoids the special snowflake trap. It looks like great work, and I hope to definitely play it once I am done with my SoD Modding, it's definitely taught me a thing or two about dialogue writing. Also really nice portraits, wherever they are from, they fit right in.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    StefanOWise_Grimwald
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 520
    Wow this is incredibly impressive! Always happy when new NPCs come with their own quests. How well do those lend themselves to being switched in and out of the party? There's just far too many interesting mod NPCs and not enough time, but I'd love to try them in my next playthrough.
    Wise_Grimwald