Skip to content

New version of Sword Coast Stratagems (v32) available

DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
edited May 2020 in General Modding
After six months in testing, version 32 of Sword Coast Stratagems is now released.

Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS) is a collection of interconnected mini-mods for Baldur's Gate (on the BGT/BGTUTU/BGEE versions) and Baldur's Gate II. It is primarily a tactical and AI-enhancement mod: the idea is to make the game's combat more interesting, tactically challenging, and realistic by more effective use of, and choices of, creatures' abilities. It also contains a few rule tweaks and ease-of-use features.

Version 32 is a major revision (the largest since the old 'SCS' and 'SCSII' mods were merged). Highlights include a new integrated difficulty-control system, inclusion of the Icewind Dale spell system, substantial revision of spellcaster AI, six new components, much fuller compatibility with the Spell Revisions mod, some streamlining of the mod's overall structure, and a major decrease in installation time.

Grab it direct here. You can also visit the extensive project pages, readme, or SCS forum for more information.

EDIT: v33 is now available.
Post edited by DavidW on
GirewanOlvynChuruleeuxMantis37OrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehr_Luke_DoubledimasGrond0StefanOBrecherAaeightFlashburnLudwig_IIRaduzielJuliusBorisovThacoBellRik_KirtaniyahistamiiniGusindaCrevsDaakAedanAbelBelegCuthalionPecca[Deleted User]ramiAndreaColomboBorcoArdulSatrhanLagonero

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @DavidW A suggestion if I may: instead of making the Rod of Resurrection act as a Rod of Raise Dead, why not make it work only in deceased party members?

This closes the healing exploit without making the item somehow useless.

I'm using this feature in Deities of Faerûn and the balance so far is very good.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @DavidW A suggestion if I may: instead of making the Rod of Resurrection act as a Rod of Raise Dead, why not make it work only in deceased party members?

This closes the healing exploit without making the item somehow useless.

I wasn't really trying to close the healing 'exploit'. I don't mind if the rod is used for healing too. The issue I want to address is that ubiquitous resurrection means that death is not a very serious condition.

JuliusBorisovAndreaColombo
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    My smile was growing wider and wider the more I was reading about changes. Thank you!
    JuliusBorisovBelegCuthalion
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Can anyone shed a little light on how long the install takes for them? I was gonna try SCS for the first time with the previous version, but after waiting overnight (about 15 hours actually) the mod was still installing.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @ThacoBell I do know that if you left-click on the WeiDU screen, it pauses the installation until you press Enter. It's possible you accidentally paused the installation and left it paused overnight.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @ThacoBell I do know that if you left-click on the WeiDU screen, it pauses the installation until you press Enter. It's possible you accidentally paused the installation and left it paused overnight.

No, the, uh, codeline? Whatever its called, it was clearly running.
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 47
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Can anyone shed a little light on how long the install takes for them? I was gonna try SCS for the first time with the previous version, but after waiting overnight (about 15 hours actually) the mod was still installing.

When i was installing SCS v32 RC10 on EET , it took less than 1 hour to install all components on a standard notebook with SSD harddrive.
    ThacoBell
    V32 should be somewhat faster than V31 on a clean install, and dramatically faster - i.e., an hour or so instead of 20 hours - on a heavily modded install.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellAndreaColombo
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    High level mages use mantle type spells or absolut immunity, rather than pfmw ?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Thanks @DavidW
    JuliusBorisov
    That's...better. An hour is awfully long for a single mod though. My whole install takes about 20 mins to set up manually.
    If it’s too long for you, don’t install it.
    I'm on the fence. I am curious about it. SCS should be the last mod in an installation, correct?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    It doesn't have to be dead last, just installed toward the end because it's a very systematic AI tweak mod. It's more like in the middle of my BG2EE install, though.

v31 took about 2 hours to install the last time I did it. I haven't tried any of the v32 versions yet because I'm still doing a playthrough, but I expect that the install time should be at least 25% faster. It's worth it for how it completely changes the way fights play out, forcing you to play smarter, learn from your mistakes, and use every party member's full potential to win.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    1st thanks for v32, installs much faster here, I gave up on previous versions which were way too slow flor me, this time I installed most of it...
    ... and I think I found a bug related to greywolf ! I am pretty sure it comes from this mod because his encounter was working normally in my previous playthrough and I added only spells revision and this mod and now it doesn't. What happens : when he arrives the group gets much more scattered than previously, but after the talk, he just does nothing. You can talk to either Prisme or Greywolf but nothing happens. You can even attack Greywolf, he doesn't turn hostile. So you can just kill him and take his sword without a fight actually !
    I installed most ai improvements + spells, everything last in my installation.
    Here is the relevant part of the weidu.log, but most of the comments are in french :
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #1500 // Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #3505 // Wider selection of random scrolls in Baldur's Gate I: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #4000 // Ours plus rapides: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #4020 // Loups et chiens sauvages plus realistes: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #4030 // Metamorphose amelioree: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #4050 // Reduit la vitesse a laquelle la reputation augmente -> La reputation augmente au 2/3 de sa vitesse normale: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #4115 // Thieves assign skill points in multiples of five: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #5900 // Initialise les composants de l'IA (requis pour les composants tactiques et d'IA): v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6000 // IA generale plus efficace: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6010 // Meilleurs appels a l'aide: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6030 // Mages plus intelligents: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6040 // Pretres plus intelligents: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6100 // Potions pour PNJ: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6200 // Araignees ameliorees: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6300 // Sirenes et dryades plus intelligentes: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6310 // Vers charognards legerement plus coriaces: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #6320 // Basilics plus intelligents: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #7040 // Chasseurs de primes deplaces: v32 RC8
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #4 #7060 // Ile de Balduran amelioree: v32 RC8
    JuliusBorisov
    OK, I see what's going on here - Greywolf's script differs quite a lot between EE and original, and I hadn't noticed (the code here mostly predates EE). Will fix; thanks for letting me know.
    JuliusBorisovRaduzielCrevsDaakAndreaColombo
  • LethlianLethlian Member Posts: 20
    Just checking in. Might be me, but is anyone else having trouble downloading this latest version from the gibberling site today?
    I really enjoyed the tougher Nashkel mines component. Made the dungeon an actual modest challenge, rather than a boring walk.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I'm having a few issues installing this... I've figured it out...

So are things that were changed by the mod that are undocumented in the readme? Because I had to cut through about 100 gnolls when rescuing Dynaheir.
    @ThacoBell

Did you have Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters installed? That mod adds a ton of gnolls to the Gnoll Stronghold.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
    @OlvynChuru It does? That really needs some documentation. Does it also give chainmail to all the gnolls it adds?
    @ThacoBell Yes it does.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
    So are things that were changed by the mod that are undocumented in the readme? Because I had to cut through about 100 gnolls when rescuing Dynaheir.
    @ThacoBell

Did you have Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters installed? That mod adds a ton of gnolls to the Gnoll Stronghold.

It is somewhat difficult to document changes caused by other people’s mods...
    ThacoBellelminster
    DavidW wrote: »
    @ThacoBell

It is somewhat difficult to document changes caused by other people’s mods...

Hahahha, yeah. I thought it was this mod, because giving gnolls armor seemed like a difficulty mod thing to do.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2019
    I get no error on a clean install of SCS initialization over a full install of T&B. I suspect it's only if SR is also present; will check further.

EDIT: actually it might have been that I was using an older version of T&B. In any case, can reproduce the bug on SR+T&B.
    Post edited by DavidW on