Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I did it. I finished the game and woooooooowww. So I failed the hidden romance I was going for but aside from that I enjoyed my run a lot.

House at the end of time onwards is a MESS though. Like, level design, encounter design, etc. became VERY annoying. I ended up just putting it on story mode for the last few hours.

Despite that, this game is my favorite CRPG now. It contains nearly all of my fantasy jams and gnomes actually get some rad lore. Now that I've done a gnome bard run, I'm going to do a feyspeaker next, undecided on race though. Might not start it immediately as I have 225 hours now (though 60 hours was from a run where my saved got corrupted.)

I guess I'll just wait for the EE.
    kanisathableusteelDrHappyAngry
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    I did it. I finished the game and woooooooowww. So I failed the hidden romance I was going for but aside from that I enjoyed my run a lot.

House at the end of time onwards is a MESS though. Like, level design, encounter design, etc. became VERY annoying. I ended up just putting it on story mode for the last few hours.

Despite that, this game is my favorite CRPG now. It contains nearly all of my fantasy jams and gnomes actually get some rad lore. Now that I've done a gnome bard run, I'm going to do a feyspeaker next, undecided on race though. Might not start it immediately as I have 225 hours now (though 60 hours was from a run where my saved got corrupted.)

I guess I'll just wait for the EE.

I fully expect the EE will fix the last few remaining issues and make this game the true classic that it deserves to be.
    VallmyrbleusteelDrHappyAngry
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I've got to say, from dropping back down to normal to do my first no reload run of anything ever, they've definitely toned down some of the encounters on normal from the original release. For instance
    The last fight in the season of the bloom had less monsters, and that big ass treant was way easier. Dealing with the mage in The Middle of Nowhere didn't trigger the demon swarm encounter afterwards. They toned this down maybe a month or so after release, but the first battle to defend Oleg's was totally brutal in the original release of the game.

@Vallmyr did you do the optional last chapter?
    While difficult, I found the optional last chapter way more satisfying than the House At The Edge of Time.
    bleusteel
    Oh the optional last chapter was awesome. I adored the whole thing and Tartuk is one of my favorite characters. My next run I plan to play a chaotic neutral feyspeaker druid so that I can
    recruit Tartuk into the party during the last chapter
    DrHappyAngry
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I'll say this once, "Owlcat, shut up and bring me PS4 version already". I mean c'mon, this games is praised as "the one true" BG spiritual successor. I desperately want to play it. I watcbed briefly a beginning of Cohhs Carnage "Let's play" on YT and I loved what I saw so far.
    Oh the optional last chapter was awesome. I adored the whole thing and Tartuk is one of my favorite characters. My next run I plan to play a chaotic neutral feyspeaker druid so that I can
    recruit Tartuk into the party during the last chapter

Totally, I want to play a chaotic neutral character for my next playthrough, just for that. I might take another crack at a thundercaller for that run. I'm hoping I can finish the no reload run I'm on before the EE comes out.

I've definitely got to agree this game is the best of the CRPG renaissance that's been going on the last few years. I know it's blasphemy here, but it might even be better than the BG games. >:)
    VallmyrbleusteelkanisathaSkatan
    So it looks like in the EE hired mercs will be able to be assigned as advisors. That'll at least make it so you can't get boned by not having any advisors in a role.
    VallmyrbleusteelEnialusMeliamne
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited June 2019
    Cahir wrote: »
    I'll say this once, "Owlcat, shut up and bring me PS4 version already". I mean c'mon, this games is praised as "the one true" BG spiritual successor. I desperately want to play it. I watcbed briefly a beginning of Cohhs Carnage "Let's play" on YT and I loved what I saw so far.

If you have an bellow average PC, you can play it. The game doesn't require an gaming PC and even if not run, you can ask a refund. Play the game with an controller will be almost impossible. Is available on Linux, Mac and M$ Windows. I suggest try on PC because the best cRPG's are on PC.

The requirements
    MINIMUM:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: Intel Celeron 1037U @ 1.80GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Storage: 30 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
    source : https://store.steampowered.com/app/640820/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/

Even my potato 10yo notebook can run this game.

I love make an Conjurator on this game. Mainly cuz there are no "only one summon BS" that is present on many games... And love that the story makes sense for a CG PC and a LE PC...
    Vallmyr
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Crowdfunding for the revised Kingmaker AP for PnP is into its final days! We have almost unlocked the original adventure path PDFs for all backers. Minimum buy-in is USD50. It’s a little different from Kickstarter in that there’s no $1 pledge level to get access to a pledge manager later. Once the timer expires there may not be another way to participate...they have not confirmed slacker backer pledges will be offered.

https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf194/kingmaker-10th-anniversary.html
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sounds like a lot of feedback has been implemented into the game - https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1620646560787757751 (especially bits about encounter changes)
    DrHappyAngry
    Sounds like a lot of feedback has been implemented into the game - https://steamcommunity.com/games/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/announcements/detail/1620646560787757751 (especially bits about encounter changes)

They've done a great job of listening and adjusting the game based on feedback. It's what kept me coming back with the rough state the game was released in. I'm a little surprised how much trouble people had with the swarms and Technic league, though. They took me more than one try my first time through, but didn't think they were that bad.
    bleusteelMERLANCE
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    What Owlcat has done with the EE is what makes me so very excited about their next game which apparently is in development.
    TakisMegas
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Can i say that i now really really hate owlbears because of this game?

What's with Owlcat games fetish for Owlbears? And what strategy should i use against the giant Owlbear boss in the capital?
    Can i say that i now really really hate owlbears because of this game?

What's with Owlcat games fetish for Owlbears? And what strategy should i use against the giant Owlbear boss in the capital?

Depends on who you've got and how you built your party. Slow and Haste are both good choices. Debuffs that still weaken no matter what, like ray of enfeeblement and boneshatter can help a bit, and prayer might reduce it's attack score, and at least buff yours. Stinking cloud might not be a bad choice, too. If you can setup sneak attacks, it'll help the damage. If someone has mirror image they might be able to tank it, so long as they can survive at least a couple hits that could get through. If you need to, just spam heal spells on whoever it's attacking and have them chug potions while everyone else beats on it, just make sure the person tanking it is fighting defensively. Alchemist bombs do pretty decent damage to the thing, too.
    ronaldo
    edited June 2019
    Looks like the EE is up, there was a 20GB download waiting in steam this morning. Funny, I barely managed to finish that no reload a few hours before the EE came out. I was hoping to do that, since I didn't want any changes during the run.
    deltagoJuliusBorisovSkatan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It appears that unlike D:OS, the EE is now the ONLY edition. Though I am seeing that the new DLC is not showing up for Season Pass owners yet.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    It appears that unlike D:OS, the EE is now the ONLY edition. Though I am seeing that the new DLC is not showing up for Season Pass owners yet.

Beneath The Stolen Lands is showing as installed for me, and I've got the season pass.
    The DLC's worth the cost?

Anyway, i wish that P:K has an class like 3.5e Warlock(i know, pathfinder doesn't have due the non-OGL licence), but i really wanna solo this game. Tried to solo with an sorcerer, but resting killed my idea. Then started to play with an small party and in end game, needed an full party to complete...
    Good news! The kineticist from one of the DLCs is like a warlock with elemental flavor. At-will blasts, utility stuff like healing, restoring attributes, and crowd control. There is a resource but like most abilities are at will. Super complicated class though imo.
    I haven't looked at Beneath The Stolen Lands, yet, and I don't particularly care those endless dungeon crawls without much story, so can't say anything about that. Wildcards was meh, but you might like the kinetecist class as Vallmyr said, and I love the Tieflings. I mostly dug the Varnhold's Lot DLC, just make sure the 4 characters you make can work as a functional party on their own. I don't think soloing this game is going to happen, but I could be wrong.
    Good news! The kineticist from one of the DLCs is like a warlock with elemental flavor. At-will blasts, utility stuff like healing, restoring attributes, and crowd control. There is a resource but like most abilities are at will. Super complicated class though imo.

Thanks. Only one question. Do he have baddass invocations like eldricht spear? Summon tentacles? Animate an undead army? Is restricted to one element?
    Soooooo I'm not qualified to answer those because I haven't fully looked at it but

You can focus an element, like fire+fire makes blue fire. You have different versions like a circular blast on the ground, reach (which is like eldritch spear), cone version, even a constant AoE earthquake effect for earth.

Now you can mix elements like Water+Earth is mud. There's kinetic blade that makes your kinetic blast into a melee weapon.

Now for summons, I don't think they do. They have stuff like, entangle enemies who get hit by the blast, faerie fire, dispel magic, and a number of other effects.

You do get burn for using certain effects and burn A. Lowers your maximum HP and B. With enough burn you gain stat buffs and your kinetic blast does more damage. So your burning your health for different invocations but also increasing your stats and damage.

You can increase the cast time to reduce burn. So you can spend a full action to cast a 3 burn ability, standard action for 2 burn, or spend a move action to remove a 1 burn.

It's really complicated but is the closest to a warlock.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    That turn-based mod is progressing nicely and really a lot of fun with the new procedural dungeon! Great way to test new builds.

I think for the main campaign tho it could seriously benefit from encounter rebalancing... either that or just turn on TB during the tough fights. In any case, worth a shot.
    chimaera wrote: »

Thanks. Only one question. Do he have baddass invocations like eldricht spear? Summon tentacles? Animate an undead army? Is restricted to one element?

It does play a bit like a warlock in NWN2 (no summons of any kind, though), but with the limited resting system in PK, the kineticist is far more powerful than the warlock ever was. In theory there is the burn cost, but in practice you can gather power before starting combat.

Warlocks on NWN2 require an mod to fix his spells ( https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/warlock-reworked-102g )

And with this mod, tentacles grapples on enemies and - "The Dead walk now works as DnD. It animated 1*Caster level (max 20) of undead and put them under your control for 1 minute. You can cast it as many times you want but you cannot control more than 2*Caster Level HD of undead. Those in excess will be removed from your control."
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/warlock-reworked-102g

So, an lv 20 warlock can raise unlimited amound of corpses and control up to 40 hit dice worth of undead.

If i can use 3.5e Warlock on P:K(not confuse with nwn2), i will probably be able to do an solo/no realod run.

PS : I can't post the complete "details" of warlock due the non ogl stats but you can find on complete arcanum sourcebook
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I multiclassed Valarie to kineticist at level 2. It actually works quite well even at low levels, although the elements are a bit unbalanced - water is better than all the rest put together.
    bleusteel
  • avensisavensis Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2019
    I agree I also find that the water is better than everything else.

edited June 2019
    So - I've decided to jump in and pick up a copy of this game (the BG3 announcement and some general good vibes from games in E3 kind of makes me want to sink my teeth into a game, and this one looks enjoyable).

Never played Pathfinder proper, but I did play a ton of 3.5e, so I'm hoping it wont be too jarring. I did have some questions I wanted to ask up front to the community:

I've read quite a bit that the encounters in this game can be absolutely brutal, and require deft understanding of Pathfinder and some solid min/maxing to get through. Is that really the case? For example, I've always been something of a Bard enthusiast. I'm well aware they had quite a few short comings as it pertains to 3.5 (They got a lot better in 4e and 5e, thankfully). Would I be severely handicapped by deciding to play one?

The idea of a Bard into Duelist build seemed interesting to me, but I couldnt find really ANYONE that recommended it. Seems like all the threads are split between Rogue or fighter into Duelist.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the matter? Any information would be appreciated.

Edit, for clarity's sake: I play BG 1 and 2 on its normal difficulty with every component of SCS enabled. I do tend to cheese in some instances "Oh. That lich just chain-contingencied out 3 incendiary clouds. I think load into the next area for a few rounds".
    bleusteel
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    You're good, they nerfed a lot of the stuff that was throwing people off in chapter one. Just keep an eye on the extensive difficulty options and tune it to your taste, there's a lot of flexibility.

I find flicking on the turn-based mod for big fights REALLY helps in the spell/positioning department.
    BallpointMan