Skip to content

What would you like to see in BG III

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
Well while we don't have more information about what is being done what would you like to see in the upcoming Baldur's Gate III? H;ere is my small wishlist

1) Follow tabletop rules. Have it at least as a difficulty option as BG always did.

2) No XP Cap. I'm a completionist. I earned that XP and I want it. No I don't care if it will makes the end of the game easier. Make it an option for those who prefer to play with XP Caps.

3) Full party interaction. I love good interaction. NPCs should have opinions and even give suggestions. It makes the game feel alive for me.

4) Good Party AI. I really like to feel I'm playing with people. A good AI goes a long way in helping that. Make it optional for all our strategist friends out there.

5) Have a good story. Seriously an RPG without a good story is just a bunch of playable tactical battles barely glowed together.

Basically that's it for me.

Comments

• SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    Great mod support, a toolkit, passionate D&D fans liking the game so much that they spend years crafting modules for it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @kanisatha I agree they should change the rules. BG did. That's why I say a core rules mode should be available as a difficulty level as BG did 20 years ago :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    1. Joining the bad guys and ultimately becoming a Mind Flayer for one. (Take that, IWD2!)

2. PSIONICS! Come on, Illithids are overunning everything! Surely there's enough mind juice for players as well.

3. Be as Minsc, Boo, Drizzt, Noober and Volo free as possible (aka the usual suspects of the cameo galore). Yes, I'm serious.

4. Also, I certainly wouldn't say "no" for owning your very own Spelljammer tentacle ship and going on trips into Wildspace/the Astral Plane.

5. Playable Oortlings, anyone?

All in all I'm personally way more interested in the Spelljammer elements than the city of Baldur's Gate itself. Especially so since all we had so far on that campaign setting was Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace. And that one was... baaaaad.
    I would certainly like to see psionics implemented... The presence of the Illithids practically demand it.

Now I want to watch a duel between an illithid and an Athasian Halfling :wink:
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited June 2019
    I want to see a cutscene involving at least one level 9+ spellcaster going all in in a battle.

Something like Gorion defending his ward or Irenicus taking on the Cowled Wizards. But now with great visuals and editing.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    1 Follow the rules. If they wanna make change, make all "homebrew" rules optional.

2 multiple bloodlines for sorcerer and pacts for warlock

3 make the relarionship of clerics and her deity matters. AND warlocks with their patrons, something more unique. Warlocks have an different relationship with his patron. Is more similar to master/apprendice than to an god and his cleric.

4 mod support
    kanisatha wrote: »
    (1) though, I feel a developer should change tabletop rules when they don't suit the computer/video medium. No computer game should ever strictly follow any corresponding tabletop rules (unless the "game" is in fact a tabletop simulator). Heck, even when my friends and I used to play tabletop back in the day, we never ever played by being true to the rules(...)

Only one question. Can you explain why they don't suit to an computer/video game?

I mean, the "we will not follow the rules" only lead to things like Sword Coast Legends and even NWN could be better if for eg pale master get +caster level(the fact that they can only have one summon and don't get caster level, means that PM is useless).

I saw a lot of people saying "dont work on computer", but they don't mention
    A ) What don't work
    B ) Why don't work

Sure, some things like fly due engine limitations can't work, but IMO Pathfinder Kingmaker >>>> Sword Coast Legends.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574
    (1) though, I feel a developer should change tabletop rules when they don't suit the computer/video medium. No computer game should ever strictly follow any corresponding tabletop rules (unless the "game" is in fact a tabletop simulator). Heck, even when my friends and I used to play tabletop back in the day, we never ever played by being true to the rules(...)

Only one question. Can you explain why they don't suit to an computer/video game?

I mean, the "we will not follow the rules" only lead to things like Sword Coast Legends and even NWN could be better if for eg pale master get +caster level(the fact that they can only have one summon and don't get caster level, means that PM is useless).

A ) What don't work
    B ) Why don't work

Sure, some things like fly due engine limitations can't work, but IMO Pathfinder Kingmaker >>>> Sword Coast Legends.

The BG games broke or altered a whole bunch of the tabletop rules. I mean you could cast spells (or use potions) and attack within the same turn for one crucial and kind of imbalanced difference. The thief skills got a specific rework. Ability scores, their bonuses and the things they effect did not correspond precisely with the then rules.

Hell, even base character generation didn't follow the system the rulebook said you were supposed to follow. So I dunno, fans of the series shouldn't be surprised or even insist on fealty to the tabletop rules, imo.
    edited June 2019
    DinoDin wrote: »

A ) What don't work
    B ) Why don't work

The BG games broke or altered a whole bunch of the tabletop rules. I mean you could cast spells (or use potions) and attack within the same turn for one crucial and kind of imbalanced difference. The thief skills got a specific rework. Ability scores, their bonuses and the things they effect did not correspond precisely with the then rules.

Hell, even base character generation didn't follow the system the rulebook said you were supposed to follow. So I dunno, fans of the series shouldn't be surprised or even insist on fealty to the tabletop rules, imo.

This are minor differences IMO. The fact that you can attack and use potion has more in common to RtWP adaptation than to any other thing. On Eye of The Beholder, you can't attack and cast spells/use potions/scrolls on same turn. Thieves too, is one of many classes that works slight differently and you din't showed why they need to adapt thief?

Still not an example of "don't work on a different media", please. Show me one rule that doesn't work. Just one. I an not talking about technology limitations that make hard to adapt spells like raise island and fly, i an talkling about an rule that just doesn't work and can easily be implemented ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/raiseIsland.htm )

Pathfinder Kingmaker follows a lot Pathfinder rules. Where are the rules that can't be addapted? I din't saw any?
    I already said a rule, please read my post more carefully. Character creation could have followed the 2e rules of rolling stats first. But no one likes playing a video game that way.

It's not that the rules "can't be implemented". It's that implementing systems in the way people might be OK with in a tabletop game is not how people enjoy video games -- an important point Vincke made in his interview about "miss rolls" even if people got upset by that.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    1varangian wrote: »
    I want to see a cutscene involving at least one level 9+ spellcaster going all in in a battle.

Something like Gorion defending his ward or Irenicus taking on the Cowled Wizards. But now with great visuals and editing.

Nah, it needs to be one of those epic Elminster versus Manshoon battles. Man, even in the novels those were spectacular!
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

A ) What don't work
    B ) Why don't work

I sincerely don't know. That's what the people working for Larian with their big salaries are being paid to figure out. I was merely speaking in the hypothetical. IF some rules don't work well in a video game, then they should obviously (for me) be modified or dumped.

Re. SCL, I have said in the past my issue was not that they changed some rules but rather that they changed virtually ALL the rules, AND, changed them in a really silly way. This is not a black and white point. There is a LOT of gray area in my point.
    Just to add, I could probably list more than a dozen rule changes, mechanics alterations, or just straight up exclusions in BG and IE games, and while any of them would count as "minor" alone, collectively there's a massive gulf between 2e tabletop rules and BG rules. So it's not accurate, imo, to describe the rule differences as minor. It's well known the rule difference is vast.

Alignment, for example, tends to be a core factor, influencing all sorts of interactions in a tabletop setting. Outside of a few class mechanics, it's largely ignored in the BG games (and almost completely in IWD). In fact, it's arguable they ignored it *more* in BG2 than BG1, again showing that it's important to deviate from the rules in order to make better games.
    edited June 2019
    I already said a rule, please read my post more carefully. Character creation could have followed the 2e rules of rolling stats first. But no one likes playing a video game that way.

It's not that the rules "can't be implemented". It's that implementing systems in the way people might be OK with in a tabletop game is not how people enjoy video games -- an important point Vincke made in his interview about "miss rolls" even if people got upset by that.

First. I was talking about "not working" and this doesn't happens. All rules can work. If you roll the stats first, then what is the problem? The unique difference is that if you wanna play an certain class, you need to re roll. The result is the same.

Is completely different about misses, in order to remove misses, you need to re write all melee combat, all ranged combat, all spells, feats like weapon/spell focus, spell penetration, etc. Minor changes with almost no real impact and re write completely the game are two completely different things.
    I'm not sure what you're asking, so I need you to clarify. On the one hand you say you're talking about rules being impossible to implement ("not working"), on the other hand you're complaining about changing a mechanic that otherwise could work.

When I'm talking about "not working" in regards to character creation and stat rolls, I mean it would create unnecessary tedium for a player. You're also inventing some point about "remove misses" which has never been said by Larian.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    mlnevese wrote: »
    I would certainly like to see psionics implemented... The presence of the Illithids practically demand it.

Now I want to watch a duel between an illithid and an Athasian Halfling :wink:

Would love to see psionics as well. However since they are not implemented in 5e yet I doubt we’ll see them as a playable class. They tried a couple of builds in Unearthed Arcana but put it on the back burner when people hated it. There are some fan-created builds so it is possible they could come up with their own?
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Would love to see psionics as well. However since they are not implemented in 5e yet I doubt we’ll see them as a playable class. They tried a couple of builds in Unearthed Arcana but put it on the back burner when people hated it. There are some fan-created builds so it is possible they could come up with their own?

I had actually planned to ask about this. I knew psionics wasnt fully in 5e, but didnt know the status of it either. That's sad that it's on the back burner.
    I'm not sure what you're asking, so I need you to clarify. On the one hand you say you're talking about rules being impossible to implement ("not working"), on the other hand you're complaining about changing a mechanic that otherwise could work.

When I'm talking about "not working" in regards to character creation and stat rolls, I mean it would create unnecessary tedium for a player. You're also inventing some point about "remove misses" which has never been said by Larian.

The "not following rules" that you mentioned is tinny, almost non perceptible changes. For eg, choose the class before roll is like someone that usually put first the wake up with an right feet and by some reason waked up with the left feet. The end result is the same. Be able to take two actions in a turn considering the RtWP is almost unperceptive. And there are any D&D/Pathfinder based game that is "tedious"?

I never saw anyone refering to any D&D/pathfinder game from Eye of the Beholder to pathfinder kingmaker as tedious.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd like to see the city of Baldur's Gate show up sometime in BG3.

The "not following rules" that you mentioned is tinny, almost non perceptible changes. For eg, choose the class before roll is like someone that usually put first the wake up with an right feet and by some reason waked up with the left feet. The end result is the same. Be able to take two actions in a turn considering the RtWP is almost unperceptive. And there are any D&D/Pathfinder based game that is "tedious"?

I never saw anyone refering to any D&D/pathfinder game from Eye of the Beholder to pathfinder kingmaker as tedious.

This will be my last attempt, because I think I've been clear. As I said above, no *single* BG deviation is huge, but *collectively* they are indeed massive.

For just one more example, that I think has huge gameplay consequences: encumbrance. This system is hugely simplified. The 2e rules put your character at half movement speed pretty quickly when it comes to weight loads. But Bioware smartly knew this would be an incredibly unfun thing to implement. So none of the serious encumbrance penalties exist until you reach 100% of you weight load. And there was even precedent for implementing this! All the Gold Box games implemented the more serious rules about encumbrance and movement speed. This completely alters what your tactics and builds would have been.

And that's not even getting into things like engagement/attacks of opportunity, which don't exist at all in the IE games. I could go on and on, there's so many changes that it is inaccurate to characterize the deviation as minor.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'd like to see this game be an actual sequel, or to remove the "3" from the title.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    1.No random item drops with random stats and descriptions. Item system in BG1 and BG2 saga is one of the best I've ever seen (PoE1 on the other hand is on the opposite site of the spectrum). The only random items I could accept are gold and mundane, non-magical items. Each magical item should be handcrafted with descriptive, interesting lore and placed individually in the world.

2. Epic battles with at least one dragon. I want Firkraag round no. 2.

3. I want at least one joinable NPC to be written by Chris Avellone. Larian did work with him in the past, so I don't think it's impossible to ask.

4. PS4 release. This is my gaming platform these days, so... ;)

5. Mod support. I know it's impossible on console, but without mod support this game won't last long enough. The crucial part of BG Saga being so popular even today is because of incredible modding scene, and modders finding new ways to create something exciting and inovative. Larian give them proper tools to do such great stuff!

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited June 2019
    Not implementing racial level limits was a pretty big deviation in BG. Goldbox had them. Also disagree that being able to attack after casting/potion is minor. It is a huge buff for F/M especially given how PfMW is a great but short lasting buff. Keeping it up is a big DPS loss when you are not allowed to attack same
    Round.

Nevertheless, dropping the chance to miss feels like a more fundamental change than either of the above, and not one I feel good about. It just requires rebalancing and changing so much else in the game line on-hit abilities like vorpal hits. Hell, imagine the green slimes from BG 1 with auto hit.

• SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I hope they will tie up some loos ends. Like the Sky / Soultaker storyline.
    It's just my hope and it's probably futile. But one can always hope and pray to Helm.
    edited June 2019

I don't see an big difference. Is like "first on put the sugar then the juice" to "first your put the juice, then the sugar" on Grimoire heralds of the winged exemplar you first roll, then pick an class. I don't see how it is a problem in a game.
    For just one more example, that I think has huge gameplay consequences: encumbrance. This system is hugely simplified. The 2e rules put your character at half movement speed pretty quickly when it comes to weight loads. But Bioware smartly knew this would be an incredibly unfun thing to implement. So none of the serious encumbrance penalties exist until you reach 100% of you weight load. And there was even precedent for implementing this! All the Gold Box games implemented the more serious rules about encumbrance and movement speed. This completely alters what your tactics and builds would have been.

And that's not even getting into things like engagement/attacks of opportunity, which don't exist at all in the IE games. I could go on and on, there's so many changes that it is inaccurate to characterize the deviation as minor.

Now you are talking about meaningful differences, but being very honest, they aren't example of changes that improved the game, since you mentioned games that din't implemented then and worked pretty well, they could be better if followed the rules. Some times changes ruins entire classes, like for example, NWN1 where you don't get +caster level as a pale master and it kills the class. On NWN2 warlock without pnp-like mods are awful.

And note that if you make an soccer game, with an basket ball, where there are only 8 players, etc; are you really making an soccer game??? This doesn't means that you can't use soccer as an inspiration and make an rocket league for eg, but if fifa stops being developed for 2 decadas and the new game plays more like rocket league, fifa fans will complain.

Baldur's Gate and PAthfinder Kingmaker are close enough to pnp but could be better. Sword Coast Legends, tried to re invent the whell..
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I'd like to see the city of Baldur's Gate show up sometime in BG3.

It's in the trailer so there's a good chance of it showing up at some time... even if it's just an empty place full of dead bodies and Illithids :)