Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The gnome replies, "What! You think you can dodge my inescapable questions with your round-about rhetoricals? I will accept nothing short of a logical answer!"
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatan
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    “How could we possibly know your name?!” shouts Jirt, thoroughly unnerved by this gnome to whom he feels a natural, unexplainable urge to call him master. Of course, it could just be years of training to follow direct orders. “We only just met you!”
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellSkatan
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited June 2019
    Nareth recoils from the gnome, holding the sword at the ready. The captain disgustedly looks at the gnome's hand with a potion. With a calming gesture, he orders Jirt and Kefto to stand aside as well. The captain speaks angrily and impatiently:

" Answer fiend! Or I will crush your head! And stop touching me, this is the first and the last warning! I am watching ya, and if ya wills something twisted, I swear to the Refiner himself, I kill ya. ", Nareth turns to Colden: " As you command, M'Lord Colden! Ya are condescending, as always."

Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellmashedtaters
    edited June 2019
    Hearing Jirt, the gnome says:

"Well, then let's dispense with these pleasantries and get to the point. It seems I'll have to ask somebody else about this issue. I don't like accusing my minions of treachery."

The gnome calms down:

"It appears that though you band of minions might be strong and tough, you lack direction and insight, and are thus wandering around like helpless cattle! You need a master to guide you! And today is your lucky day, for I shall take you all into my service. Yes! I can see the joy in your faces! Now... we have a secret treasure to find!"

Hearing Nareth's angry words:

"Oooh, I like your spirit, Minion! You certainly walk as a lion amongst sheep! But there are far more dangerous creatures than lions. Yes... soooooo, you should put this armour oil on you! All right, I'll let you do it yourself, since you appear capable enough."
    ashafetovThacoBellmashedtatersSkatan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Largrod is stunned to silence. For the first time in his life, he does not need to remind himself to be silent around his "betters"*
    ashafetovmashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaSkatan
    edited June 2019
    Colden doesn’t believe this gnome is of any threat to them. Taking his hat off and holding it thoughtfully, he can’t imagine this gnome telling anyone about their mission. Neither can he imagine why it should be kept a complete secret.

Figuring that the rewards outweigh any potential risks, he decides to tell the gnome.

“We are indeed a bit directionless,” he says, smiling at the gnome’s antics, and also fondly at the soldier’s reaction despite himself. “We need to get to Warne-Hardard Wast. I’m told it is on the other side of this mountain, but with our injured guide, we have no way of scaling the cliffs.”

Garta interrupts. “I can make the climb,” she hisses, defensive instantly.

Colden makes a calming gesture in the air with his hand. “No one is questioning your capabilities or your drive,” says Colden smoothly. “But one of your vast knowledge seems experienced enough to know that such a perilous journey with your injury, while easy for you, I’m sure, while hale, could be disastrous for the rest of us less experienced climbers.” He smiles disarmingly through his trim beard, and brushes himself as thought the matter is clearly settled by his rational, and no doubt smoothly put (he rather thinks), argument.

Garta sits back, grudgingly placated and pouting.

“Perhaps my good gnome might know a way to Warne-Harsard Wast on the other side of this mountain range?” he says to the gnome without particular hope or conviction. “As the lord or master of your minions, it is your duty, nay, your very purpose, to ensure that your minions do not go without your guidance.” He adds the last bit quite proud of himself. Surely some flattery will set this mad gnome’s mind at ease and send him off on a wild goose chase to get him out of their hair. Then they can sneak away while he is recruiting the scant wildlife and dying trees as his personal retainers. This will, undoubtably, cause little harm to the gnome and prevent risk to those in Colden’s charge.
    ashafetovRik_KirtaniyaThacoBellSkatan
    edited June 2019
    Again, I hope I’m playing your character at least somewhat closely to how you would
    imagine. But it isn’t him, and we miss you. :'(
    ashafetovRik_KirtaniyaThacoBellSkatan
    edited June 2019
    Nareth crosses his hands on the chest and shakes his head in disapproval. The captain continues to listen to Colden quietly. He declines taking the gnome's potion, though, but puts down his sword.
    ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyamashedtatersSkatan
    The gnome listens to Colden thoughtfully. Then he says, rather enthusiastically:

"A minion who believes in his master is sure to succeed, and I find that you are one with faith. Fear not, my faithful minion, for I will show you the way. Let me recollect my thoughts however. I prefer to keep my head unloaded at times, for too much knowledge is disastrous to the mind."

The gnome takes out what appears to be a notebook. As he holds it up against the light and examines it, you can faintly discern: "Doctor Mortimer's Absolutely Amazing Almanac for Aspiring Adventurers - with Additional Astounding Anecdotes" inscribed in large letters on its tattered red cover.

When he speaks again, you seem to find a sudden change in his tone, and he begins to sound serious and scholarly.

"Now let's see. There are innumerable passages hidden in unfathomable depths beneath mountain ranges such as this, caused by geomantic upheavals and elemental action. Glacial erosion by activity of fire spitting lizards and bombardier beetles, also tends to leave temporary gaps in the ice stratum of underground cave systems, which usually get filled back up within a few weeks. However, to find one spanning as far as to cover the entire breadth of a mountain is much rarer, though there are such passages in existence...."

You think that he's probably reading out the lines in the notebook, but a peek into it shows the page to appear totally blank. Suddenly, he pauses, and his tone changes back to what it was.

"Oh, but why am I explaining all this to you? You need not ponder on the details. What matters is that I know of a passage deep beneath these mountains, approximately half a day's walk through. In fact, I was going that very way, when I stumbled upon you merry band of minions. Now, you will follow me down that way. But I need to rest for the night, and so will you."

The gnome looks about the camp.

"Well, you don't happen to have any sweetrolls, do you?'
    ThacoBellashafetovmashedtatersSkatan
    Garta looks at the gnome.

“You actually know a way through the underpasses of Coras Ugar Facrin?” she says in astonishment.

“I have heard of these tunnels before. They once housed a great occult where evil men used black magic to spread hatred throughout the world. Somehow their magics reached every corner of the valley and even beyond, they say... it is a dark place that my people fear to tread. But I have wondered if it was empty for a long time. I have never met anyone who has ventured there and could show the way.”

She looks thoughtfully at the impossible mountain cliffs and back at the gnome.

“If reports are true, the tunnels are easy to traverse, large enough for several cows to walk abreast and smooth.” She looks hopeful.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    Nareth is concerned. He jumps bluntly into conversation. As most of the soldiers in Patrol, he was uneducated and not capable to write and read. As a self-protection gesture against the tiny annoying smarty-pants gnome, reading a book with a plenty of unknown letters on the cover, Nareth adds his blunt remark to Garta's speech:

" Ya seriously wants to rely on this one? He is clearly nuts, just.. just look at him! I can't jeopardize the entire mission by listening to weird folks from wilderness with no name, and crazy omens too! " - Nareth spits on the ground.
    mashedtatersThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    Garta looks at Nareth, her eyes flashing. “Did you think that this was going to be an easy journey, Captain?” she says. “This isn’t a jog down the merry streets of Astorwind. We were nearly killed by a sky spirit’s unquenchable wrath today.

“This gnome... thing... whatever he is... may be wrong. He is obviously crazy. There are many like him in the wilderness, driven mad by their exposure to the sky spirits ice rain and black dust. But I have no other solutions. As you know, I can’t scale these cliffs, and by the time we make a ten day journey south and north, we will be almost a week late to the battlefield.

“Perhaps we should turn around and give up on contacting the Bloodeye clan?” She adds the last part with thoughtful sincerity.
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    Nareth is pissed off. He tries to calm himself down then responds Garta with a voice of determination:

" It IS a hard journey, indeed! What I have learned in my campaigns is that the one should count on himself and his comrades, the brothers in arms. Without hoping to encounter a divine omen or aid. Also without hoping to meet mysterious strangers, who will resolve all problems. I says, ya is injured and ya wants to trust this creature, and follow him forth to the cavern hazards. Calm yourself up, pull yourself together, woman, and do what ya have been asked for by your King: lead us forth to Bloodeye clan. If necessary, I will walk forth with no sleep or food, so me lads will do. But don't ya say about me failing my mission. "

His voice trembles with impatience and ill-restrained anger. He makes a short break to calm himself and continues:

" Aye... But ya might be right. It seems like this.. weirdo with beardo can be our last hope and resort, indeed. But i am strongly against of blind following him into these caverns. This decision I entrust to M'Lord Colden, and himself only."
    Hey @Rik_Kirtaniya ! Sorry for the blunt dude I am playing with, I do really enjoy your character, very well played! Just I have to roleplay this grim soldier more or less closely to his reality.
    mashedtatersThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
    edited June 2019
    @ashafetov weirdo with beardo lol
    Keep up the roleplaying guys, it's fun.
    As far as Colden's decision, I will definitely have to leave this one to @Skatan. I can't railroad his character into it or against. He will be back in a few days and hopefully will comment then.
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hey guys. I'm back home again. We were on page 6 when I left IIRC, so gotta catch up before I can jump in. I hope Colden is still alive :P
    mashedtatersashafetovRik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
    Nareth holsters his sword and crosses his arms. After a short while he answers Colden:

" Aye, M'Lord Colden. But I am going to watch this creature. You heard that, Gnome? If you conceive of evil, then you will not be saved. "
    SkatanmashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
    "Minions! This is it! The mouth by which you enter the bowels of darkness. We need to get to the other side now... without getting digested."

The last words carry a sinister note.

"Speaking of which... WHERE ARE MY SWEETROLLS?"
    Amazing artworks @ashafetov! The sunset over the first one looks especially awesome!
    ashafetovmashedtatersThacoBellSkatan
    edited June 2019
    @mashedtaters and @Rik_Kirtaniya you are more than welcome guys, and thanks for the kind feedback. I am glad my old illustrations and Icewind Dale fan-arts were handy.
    SkatanRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaterslolien