Skip to content

Skin Color in Fantasy

13»

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    One game that explored a lot about how races will work in a fantasy world is ARCANUM. Imagine the typical D&D like fantasy world. Now imagine this world under an industrial revolution. Magic and technology on Arcanum are different, you can't for eg use an magic to enhance an steam engine, since on arcanum world, technology is the application of nature laws, magic is the negation.

SsethTzeentach has an interesting review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAPdwOza9U

In general :
    - Gnomes are the company owners
    - Orcs the brute force
    - Humasn the average
    - Elves hate technology and live in tribal society
    (...)
    What makes Arcanum interesting is that the setting is not just "good vs evil" is about "law vs chaos".
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Oh boy, between @Dee @SorcererV1ct0r @DJKajuru i just don't even know where to begin! I guess I'll start with the most hyperbolic and most likely to get me banned.
    Dee wrote: »
    Literally your entire post in response to mine reads as “I don’t see the racism therefore it doesn’t exist and you’re ruining art for pointing it out.”
    Yep, i don't see...
    1 times on my life i have literally been called a nigger, just didn't happen.

The time in my life where skinheads jumped my brother stole my go kart which led to a altercation between my friends/family and those mofos. That didn't happen.

I don't see racism, so it's not real... Despite i said nothing of that nature but that's the conclusion you got because that was the conclusion you started with! You started with that and worked backwards to make what i said fit that!

And you know how I know that is it, because literally ANYONE with less than half the current religious ideology of intersectional blah blah could look at what i said and see 2 things.

1.i was anecdotally (evidently) talking about the creation process and the separation of personal experience from it.

2. Would have ability to go, and let me say this know because i don't believe you'll pick up on it. I did this part on purpose, would go...

"Wait DK you just slipped up, that comic you just talked about actually works against what you are saying. A dark-skinned mage from? A southern continent that's a jungle? A warrior empire? That sounds remarkably similar to the Zulu... All are things you've spoken of here before which would connect them slightly to your personal interest at the very least."

And I would've simply responded, "yes because i use that very reason. As i said before, yes you can use personal experience to create art, but not all art is created with personal experience in mind.
    I don't agree with him,
    I'm convinced you're worse than dee with starting with a concussion. Your last post had literally nothing to do with what i was talking about or even the topic matter that was being discussed.

You prove this even more so now than anything.

but he is more like an tribalist that believes that different groups are adapted to different environments
    Based on what? Literally what? I literally made no statements of any matter of fact of who is what or who is from where. So where you get this from is so far out of field that its high fiving doomsday in the phantom zone!
    than someone that supports white supremacism. And note, for him i an not white due the fact that my hair is not blonde(was blonde as an young child)
    This literally make no sense... Are you literally claiming that i only think white people are white if they have blonde hair?

Congratulations, you've LITERALLY made me do a actual face palm.
    He remembers me an druid on his critique towards civilization and religions that put humans above nature.
    ...you know what no, i don't know or even want to know what you're even talking about now.

And finally onto someone who hasn't completely made me lose all hope on humanity.
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    You are saying "it's normal"
    No, i said of you look for a problem you CAN ALWAYS find a problem.
    Don't believe me, than allow me to use progressives own narrative to prove it.

If white people move into a black neighborhood, its gentrification.

If white people move out of black neighborhood, its white flight.

There is actually two more parts but admittedly i don't remember them.

The point being no matter what action was taken there was always some kind of problem that was magically always racial...

You have the right to post your arguments and opinions, but the trap here is that, and it's been said before, structural racism is not easily measured.
    The trap here is you started with the idea that something is structurally racist and did little to actually prove it outside of just expecting me to listen and believe it. When i replied to you, i didn't just reply with a opinion, literally sourced what i said, from the talks about what black represent to the dispersion of the people in the states. Regardless of whether or not you, me, or twiddle dee agree or even like it.
    [/quote]
    No one is going to put a gun over one's head for creating a universe where dark skin os evil, or where it has nothing to do with it at all, but denying that one's culture and society affects how he creates Art is an illusion.
    Pretending everything created in art is some how problematic due to negative actions on the past is just as big of an illusion. Ignoring that there are other plausible answers to why something is the way it is denying that humans have the capacity to change.

A racist society has racist values , and their art will reflect those values because Art is never neutral.
    True, if that society is as racist as you truly believe it to be. How do you know you're not in a bubble? One that's blowing up the worst our society has to show and making you thing its larger than it really is.

Well, I've never asked whoever created them (was it Gygax?) why they came up with dark skin , have you?
    That's non-sequitur and you know it!

Neither do I care, because it's done already , 30 years ago, but if in 2019, a time where race and color prejudice has been discussed over and over and pointed out in several directions , a person says "you're totally wrong' ,then you're being defensive towards something you've naturalized.
    *You*'ve naturalized it, but it doesn't have to be silenced or simply tagged as "political correctness".

I literally had to read this 5 times to get what you were trying to say. I get it now but there is a fundamental flaw with what you're saying; you're assuming what you believe to be true is correct! Anyone who he opposing opinion has magically internalized it. It's literally no different than religion.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    DragonKing wrote: »
    Based on what? Literally what? I literally made no statements of any matter of fact of who is what or who is from where. So where you get this from is so far out of field that its high fiving doomsday in the phantom zone!

I watched a lot of Varg's videos. He criticized civilization many times and i never saw his saying that an group is superior to another.
    re you literally claiming that i only think white people are white if they have blonde hair?

No, i was talking about VARG Vikerness views. And yes, Varg defends this white standard.
    ..you know what no, i don't know or even want to know what you're even talking about now.

And finally onto someone who hasn't completely made me lose all hope on humanity.

Is hard to understand that i an talking about Vark Vikerness? I din't even mentioned you or quoted anything that you answered.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @DragonKing whatever. Thread goes on.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

I watched a lot of Varg's videos. He criticized civilization many times and i never saw his saying that an group is superior to another.
    re you literally claiming that i only think white people are white if they have blonde hair?

No, i was talking about VARG Vikerness views. And yes, Varg defends this white standard.
    ..you know what no, i don't know or even want to know what you're even talking about now.

Is hard to understand that i an talking about Vark Vikerness? I din't even mentioned you or quoted anything that you answered.
    @SorcererV1ct0r
    Ok, I apologized, following the flow of the thread it seem like you were referring to me. Also you have actually responded to me before without mentioning or quoting me before.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited June 2019
    Things here have gotten far too heated, and the discussion has moved in a very unhealthy direction. Thread closed. Please remember to be mindful of the site rules.
This discussion has been closed.