• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    DragonKing wrote: »
    BillyYank wrote: »
    DragonKing wrote: »
    BillyYank wrote: »
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion, i don't find female drow attractive
    Try the dudes, then.

I never liked the blue tint most artists used for the Drow. Todd Lockwood used a more realistic skin tone for Starlight & Shadows, and Liriel Baenre looks gorgeous.
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tangled_Webs

"More realistic skin tone"
    ...are there better examples because based of the only two pics on the link, that is quite literally inaccurate. The very skin tone on that book cover is a very desaturated, toned down shade of violet. I'll emit that at first glance it could be mistaken for skin somewhat darker than even mine but that mostly due to how the mind works and the softness of the rendering technique.

This one's a little better:
    https://www.audible.com/pd/Tangled-Webs-Audiobook/B00AWV9KEE

I have the book, and on the cover her skin tone looks natural. It's hard to find color corrected versions on the net.

The whole "Drow are dark skinned because they're evil" story line always bugged me. In a homebrew world I put together back in the '80s, Drow were dark skinned because they were descended from elves of the notSerengetti. They delved too deep under notKilimanjaro.

I mean I'm going to be honest, all that plays into the science off color, psychologically each color has a mental effect on us on a general level. Keyword there is general, not individual. Each color and the tones of dark and light all have both a positive and negative representation.

(...)
    This is just a small general break down of colors and value representation but since the beginning of time blackness has representing the unknowing, the embodiment of mankind's fear due to lack of understanding. So making the show dark-skinned and evil just makes sense if not cliche.

@DragonKing
    I understand that a color might be culturally attached to our preconceptions , and black represents in western culture Infinity and death for cultural reasons , but it can also be considered black because in the shadows humans have found and witnessed predators and dangers. On the other hand , darkness and shadows are the ideal setting for us to sleep , so we can't really say that our subconscious treats it as totally evil.

That said, let's go a bit further in history , specially in Europe where History was written by treating the white european man as a standard for "normal" , it is a terrible twisted version of the "black is bad because of death and shadows" promoted mostly by european christianism that extended it to people's skin color, as it contributea to dehumanization and we cannot ignore the fact that we still have such values in our culture where a white beautiful person is a "classic" whereas people of other skin tones are either "exotic" or "off-standards" . I strongly believe and repeat the writers and authors, people who study and observe the world around them, should go another way , dettaching evil from skin tone and relating it to other things such as culture, character, experience etc.
  • DarkShinobiDarkShinobi Member Posts: 15
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Drow are not dark skinned because they are evil.

IIRC their hair and skin tone are part of the curse cast upon them when Lloth got banished from the Seldarine and their followers were expelled from the surface to Hor'Oloth (Underdark).

Calling @DarkShinobi to help my memory as he is like an elven Wikipedia.

Talking about Drow of Forgotten Realms, then yes, they were always dark skinned elves by origins, since they were a gift made by Corellon to Araushnee (pre-Lolth elven goddess). After The Descent, it says that their dark skin took an obsidian -purplelike tone and they got cast out to Underdark by the casting of a divine ritual.

Before that, they used to live in the surface and they were called Ssri-tel-quessir. About alignment, not all of them were evil, some of them were good and even worshipped the dark elven goddess Eilistraee, which is also a dark skinned goddess and it's daughter of Corellon and Araushnee.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited June 2019
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    That said, let's go a bit further in history , specially in Europe where History was written by treating the white european man as a standard for "normal" , it is a terrible twisted version of the "black is bad because of death and shadows" promoted mostly by european christianism that extended it to people's skin color, as it contributea to dehumanization and we cannot ignore the fact that we still have such values in our culture where a white beautiful person is a "classic" whereas people of other skin tones are either "exotic" or "off-standards" . I strongly believe and repeat the writers and authors, people who study and observe the world around them, should go another way , dettaching evil from skin tone and relating it to other things such as culture, character, experience etc.
    I'm not quite sure what you're talking about..?

Caucasians wouldn't try to get some tan on their skin if it wasn't considered attractive.
    Evil races, if you look at e.g. LotR or GoT, you'd notice that neither haradrim nor dothraki are particularly dark, it's their warpaint and makeup, along with dress and hair style, that symbolize allegiance to evil through being savage.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    So in the game there are blacks who are good, bad, and indiffernt, just like all races.
    The problem that I CAN see is that race of itself is deemed to be a cause of alignment.

Now I know this is fantasy, but dubbing any race evil is likely to cause upset.

In RL there are good, bad and indifferent of every race.

This is the thing I have always hated about D&D (which I clearly like D&D otherwise I wouldn't be here). This race is this alignment and that race is that alignment. I realize it is for game mechanics, but on the storytelling side of it alignment feels like racist undertones (especially when you get into Drow being evil skin-cursed creatures). It makes sense for demons/devils, but non-eschatological humanoids would have societies of all alignments if I were doing the writing.
    edited June 2019
    @DragonKing you've mentioned a lot of interesting cultural and historical facts , and it's okay to point out consequences of dominance in *History* , but here comes a question: Are we still colonized by other nations? Os slavery still legal?

Clearly not in my continent , but we still hold values that came from those times , racism in aesthetics , mass culture and historical records is still real . I mentioned colonization because AFAIK dehumanization by color (and that's what it was , as a white person wouldnt be enslaved in the American continent, not under "normal" circunstances) as we know it did start with European colonization . It carries a legacy and because western society was no less racist 60 years ago . So what kind of cultural dominance are we talking about in modern times?

Post edited by DJKajuru on
    But I never wanted to go off topic , my original comment was that I wouldn't really encourage writers to consider skin color a standard for evil and the reply was "but it can be for X reasons" , I made another reply but I'm afraid it may even lead to another , IRL topic .
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited June 2019
    You know what, nope ef it it I'm know being the cause of yet another new topic creation!
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    DragonKing, races IRL tends to have much more "shades of grey" than in video games and tends to have a lot of arbitrariety . For example, the therm "hispanic/latino", this classification doesn't exist outside of US and generalizes a lot of different groups, putting an Argenitne, an Haitian and an Mexican in the same ethinic group, when even inside Argentina, there are countless of different groups. Even considering only the natives, an Fuegian is completely different than an Guarani.

I an Brazilian, descendant of an relative poor baron(for noble standards during imperial times) with pale skin, born with blonde hair that turned dark after i growled up and is silly to think that the members of Orleans family born in Europe belongs to a different ethnic group than the members of the same family born here in US. If you look to "nazis", in order to enforce their "racial laws", a lot of subjectivity happened. For example, the Pomeranians born left of an artificial like was "aryan", right of an artificial line that changed a lot on history, was considered "slav".

With fantasy races, the same doesn't happens. Is very easy to distinguish an drow than an orc or an human than a mindflayer. And the skin color is not that much related to your "race" on D&D. An silver half dragon is so dragon as an silver red dragon despite his parents being exactly the opposite and "created" by different deities.
    edited June 2019
    DragonKing, races IRL tends to have much more "shades of grey" than in video games and tends to have a lot of arbitrarily
    What are you even replying to here?
    For example, the therm "hispanic/latino", this classification doesn't exist outside of US
    Ok? That literally changes nothing I said or anything that i was talking about. And again, i literally stated the U.S.A when I started to break things down. When dealing with 1 region or one set variables it literally doesn't matter what does or doesn't exist elsewhere because elsewhere is what was being discussed at that moment.
    and generalizes a lot of different groups, putting an Argenitne, an Haitian and an Mexican in the same ethinic group, when even inside Argentina, there are countless of different groups.Even considering only the natives, an Fuegian is completely different than an Guarani.
    I'm looking for the point but I'm honestly not finding it, it has absolutely nothing to so with what i said.

I an Brazilian, descendant of an relative poor baron(for noble standards during imperial times) with pale skin, born with blonde hair that turned dark after i growled up and is silly to think that the members of Orleans family born in Europe belongs to a different ethnic group than the members of the same family born here in US.
    What? I can't even begin to comprehend what lead you to this...
    If you look to "nazis", in order to enforce their "racial laws", a lot of subjectivity happened.
    You are in Andromeda right now, i need you to come back to the milky way galaxy
    For example, the Pomeranians born left of an artificial like was "aryan", right of an artificial line that changed a lot on history, was considered "slav"
    I said back to our galaxy not further away!

With fantasy races, the same doesn't happens. Is very easy to distinguish an drow than an orc or an human than a mindflayer. And the skin color is not that much related to your "race" on D&D. An silver half dragon is so dragon as an silver red dragon despite his parents being exactly the opposite and "created" by different deities.
    Ok STOP! What are you replying to, give me some actual context here! What ever point you're trying to make isn't hitting the side of the barn because i see no connection point!

You can't be making some point towards my statement of color because i made no statement about or fAmily, or nazis! I was literal only talking the bare basics of color without going into Art mode and going into how light and color all work together.

You can't be referring to what @DJKajuru and myself talking about because even with what i said, neither of us said a sing thing about "racial laws" or "nazis" so i literally have no clue where you are coming from or going with this.
    DragonKing , i was not trying to "debunk" you, my point was only to add AND explain why this topic on a fictional universe is different than IRL. And it depends on the setting, for eg, even very human like races like vulcans(star treck) can be very different.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This conversation is several layers of yikes.

In the Forgotten Realms, the drow have the coloration they have as a direct result of their allegiance to Lolth. It’s magical, not biological.

That doesn’t mean every drow is evil. But it also doesn’t mean that the decision to make the evil elf race have dark skin wasn’t a problematic one (at best) and super racist at worst.

Every real-world culture has its associations with colors, but when we create a fictional world we’re building it in the context of our experience, it’s being interpreted in the context of the world we live in. So an American creator needs to consider that making “elves but black” a categorically evil race is going to contribute to the very real pain experienced by black people (not “blacks”) in America and Europe.

We also need to be cognizant when we discuss these things that we’re not contributing ourselves to these problems, especially if the people having the conversation are all (or even mostly) white.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I don't trust the transparent skin colour of Invisible Stalkers. It's as if they were hiding something... (>_>)

As for attractiveness: everyone should know by now that green skin is by far the sexiest. Closely followed by blue and purple.
    edited June 2019
    Dee wrote: »
    That doesn’t mean every drow is evil. But it also doesn’t mean that the decision to make the evil elf race have dark skin wasn’t a problematic one (at best) and super racist at worst.
    It's problematic because people want to make it problematic. You can find a problems in anything if you're always looking for them and racism has lost all meaning at this point thanks to how nonchalantly it gets thrown around! Making a dark-skinned race in a fantasy world with literally no ties to our world at all is neither of those things.

but when we create a fictional world we’re building it in the context of our experience,
    Actually that's not always true unless you're going to explain to me how i experienced the vastness of space while i was working an entire set of drawings that explored the infinite of outer space, the celestial bodies of gods creating and constructing new universe. These aret things impossible for people to experience.

When we construct worlds, can we use our own experiences, yes but every world built isn't built based on the creators experience. This is shoe-horning the entirety of the creative endeavor into a singular idea of how it works

it’s being interpreted in the context of the world we live in.
    And again, no. Worlds that a individual A builds regardless of how they choose to experience it. It might not always be but can more than likely be completely different from what the audience themselves interpret it. I believe this even more so now than ever after all the time And experience I spent in art show and critiques directly interacting with audience look at and asking questions about my work and hearing how they interpret it to be.
    Even the most straight forward pictures can get interpreted differently than the creators intent.

On fact I'll tell you hilarious story of what happened to a friend of mine with at artist during their critique, so skip this part if you don't want to hear it.

So this friend whole body if work was him picking trash up of the ground and glowing/stapling/sticking it onto cardboard and had a lot of this. So during his critique one of the visiting artist told him he should be careful because and i kid you not, to her with all the card board panels stuck together. All with trash that was random placed on each cardboard (i know it was because i at one point was watching his process out of boredom). All came together to form a effing swastika. One that no one else but her could see it. She even tried to point out how to was formed with her finger and no one still didn't see it.

So an American creator needs to consider that making “elves black” a categorically evil race is going to contribute to the very real pain experienced by black people (not “blacks”) in America and Europe.
    I don't... I can't... Just the freaking herculean level of mental gymnastics needed to come to this is amazing.

... Ok let's go back to irk here.. So you're saying my small independent comic "The Iron Mage" a story about dark skinned spell caster from the southern jungle covered continent that is basically ruled by a empire of Dark skinned, war/combat/strength loving empire that follows the law of "survival of the fittest", and that some of the atrocities that did during the 700 year war against another equally as power Dark-skinned tribe could make some people view them as evil. Is someone how going to hurt or " add to the pain" of, *insert whatever arbitrary group you like* despite the 99.9% chance that they more than likely will never know this comic exists.
    We also need to be cognizant when we discuss these things that we’re not contributing ourselves to these problems, especially if the people having the conversation are all (or even mostly) white.
    I can't even begin with everything wrong with this.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    When a white person tells a black person how to properly discuss the subject of color. Kinda sums up everything one needs to know about social politics.
    Kind of reminds me of that Pokemon "controversy" when Jynx was still black. And later was redesigned to purple due to questionable complains. Morale of the story: political correctness is the death of artistic freedom. *sigh*
    Alright , I'm invoking our lovely moderator @JuliusBorisov . Julius , I believe this is becoming a polarized argument and losing the healthy aspect of a discussion , could you give it a check?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I have. I'm not happy with several recent comments. Generalizations are dangerous when you don't fully know who you are talking with.
    If you think a certain post is not ok, please flag it.
    edited June 2019
    I have. I'm not happy with several recent comments. Generalizations are dangerous when you don't fully know who you are talking with.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of flagging because the pollarization I see here is "Art is a reflex of real world issues" versus "It doesn't have to be" and it has already led to "I don't see it, so you must be wrong" , which is a sign that people are not listening to each other anymore .
    DJKajuru wrote: »

i'm not sure if it's a matter of flaggingbecause the pollarization I see here is "Art is a reflex of real world issues" versus "It doesn't have to be" and it has already led to "I don't see it, so you must be wrong" , which is a sign that people are not listening to each other anymore .

Ok, I'm interested now, where did the "i don't see it so you're wrong" come from
    edited June 2019
    @DragonKing
    "It's problematic because people want to make it problematic. You can find a problems in anything if you're always looking for them and racism has lost all meaning at this point thanks to how nonchalantly it gets thrown around! Making a dark-skinned race in a fantasy world with literally no ties to our world at all is neither of those things "

You are saying "it's normal" . You have the right to post your arguments and opinions, but the trap here is that, and it's been said before, structural racism is not easily measured. No one is going to put a gun over one's head for creating a universe where dark skin os evil, or where it has nothing to do with it at all, but denying that one's culture and society affects how he creates Art is an illusion. A racist society has racist values , and their art will reflect those values because Art is never neutral.

"But Drow have nothing to do with it".
    Well, I've never asked whoever created them (was it Gygax?) why they came up with dark skin , have you? Neither do I care, because it's done already , 30 years ago, but if in 2019, a time where race and color prejudice has been discussed over and over and pointed out in several directions , a person says "you're totally wrong' ,the you're being defensive towards something you've naturalized. *You*'ve naturalized it, but it doesnt have to be silenced or simply tagged as "political correctness".

Literally your entire post in response to mine reads as “I don’t see the racism therefore it doesn’t exist and you’re ruining art for pointing it out.”

If that’s not what you’re trying to say, you’ll need to clarify.
    edited June 2019
    On Elder Scrolls, Dunnmer got their dark skin due an curse. Imagine if TES lore was writen today.... The controversy.

With pnp books, the same controversy won't happen. For example, on myfarog "The lighter the hair and the fairer the skin, the more blessed by the gods your character is. " http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/08/21/advanced-discrimination-dragons-critical-look-varg-vikernes-myfarog-rpg/
    I might be misunderstanding your meaning. Vikernes is a noted white supremacist who makes games with white supremacist overtones. What is the purpose of bringing him up here?
    I'm genuinely curious if there are also folks out there which do view the Dark Elves of the WARHAMMER franchise as 'problematic' as well. They're all white and evil to the core - twisted from the forces chaos. Practically the same as Drow, only with a different paint job as finish.

The franchise has been around since 1983, but I've personally not yet met with someone who was offended by the maker's choice of their skin colour.
    I don’t have the time at the moment to explain why it’s different when the depicted people share qualities of a real-world marginalized community, but I also don’t know nearly enough about Warhammer to comment on that specific example. I generally think it’s problematic to tie morality to an entire race or lineage of people, but that problem is more severe when that race is noticeably similar to a real-world oppressed race (even if people outside that community can’t see it).
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Dee: For the record, @DragonKing has experienced anti-black racism against him in the past. He's aware it exists--he apparently just doesn't think it's related to art in the same way others do.

I have mixed feelings about the skin color thing regarding the drow. Normally I'd be suspicious of any fictional race that's inherently evil (blame biology, blame culture; whatever) and which happens to be dark-skinned that contrasts with lighter-skinned protagonists, but the drow don't really resemble real-life stereotypes:

1. They're elves, so they don't look much like any real-life ethnicity, and they have white hair as well, which only makes them look even different from RL humans
    2. They're portrayed as physically and mentally superior to surfacers (they get stat bonuses in PnP and crazy MR in BG)
    3. They're a matriarchal society (and you could complain about its portrayal, but that's a separate conversation)
    4. They're extremely racist themselves, have a lot of ideas about their own racial superiority, and practice eugenics--which calls to mind the Nazis, who weren't particularly dark-skinned
    5. They live underground

It's hard for me to complain about their skin color when they're so alien. "Pointy-eared black Nazi women beneath the earth" doesn't draw upon any RL racial stereotypes.
    edited June 2019
    I might be misunderstanding your meaning. Vikernes is a noted white supremacist who makes games with white supremacist overtones. What is the purpose of bringing him up here?

I don't agree with him, but he is more like an tribalist that believes that different groups are adapted to different environments than someone that supports white supremacism. And note, for him i an not white due the fact that my hair is not blonde(was blonde as an young child) He remembers me an druid on his critique towards civilization and religions that put humans above nature.
    I'm genuinely curious if there are also folks out there which do view the Dark Elves of the WARHAMMER franchise as 'problematic' as well. They're all white and evil to the core - twisted from the forces chaos. Practically the same as Drow, only with a different paint job as finish.

The franchise has been around since 1983, but I've personally not yet met with someone who was offended by the maker's choice of their skin colour.

Interesting. I din't knew much about warhammer. I know that there are some RTS and "gear playing games"(i can't consider most d3 clones as rpg's) on that universe
    @Dee: For the record, @DragonKing has experienced anti-black racism against him in the past. He's aware it exists--he apparently just doesn't think it's related to art in the same way others do.

I have mixed feelings about the skin color thing regarding the drow. Normally I'd be suspicious of any fictional race that's inherently evil (blame biology, blame culture; whatever) and which happens to be dark-skinned that contrasts with lighter-skinned protagonists, but the drow don't really resemble real-life stereotypes:

1. They're elves, so they don't look much like any real-life ethnicity, and they have white hair as well, which only makes them look even different from RL humans
    2. They're portrayed as physically and mentally superior to surfacers (they get stat bonuses in PnP and crazy MR in BG)
    3. They're a matriarchal society (and you could complain about its portrayal, but that's a separate conversation)
    4. They're extremely racist themselves, have a lot of ideas about their own racial superiority, and practice eugenics--which calls to mind the Nazis, who weren't particularly dark-skinned
    5. They live underground

It's hard for me to complain about their skin color when they're so alien. "Pointy-eared black Nazi women beneath the earth" doesn't draw upon any RL racial stereotypes.

And they practice slavery. Even those who din't read forgotten realms lore, only played BG2 knew that. "Slavery plays a large part in drow society and drow households usually have two or more slaves for each member. All unskilled labor in drow cities is carried out by slaves. "

That is how the average drow looks on BG2 https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Drow
    latest?cb=20130910145457

IMO nobody is trying to use Drow to portrait in a negative way any group IRL.
    edited June 2019

5. They live underground

Thanks for the added context. I’m not about to tell someone how to interpret their own experiences in the context of gaming. I will say that I’m not just speaking for my own observations here; you might not agree with them but there are plenty of people (especially people of color and from other marginalized groups) who do see these problems and call them out. Just not, apparently, on Beamdog’s own forums.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Depends on the people, really. We've got people on either side of the debate.
This discussion has been closed.