Skip to content

Beamdog Update: July 2019

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
We decided to change up the blog format this month, as the question-and-answer posts kept getting repeats of similar items, or queries we can’t really talk about yet.

Please check out a short update from Luke Rideout on the 2.6 patches for Baldur’s Gate & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions, the Google Play fix, and upcoming console releases of our games.
DoubledimasPrince_RaymondlefreutStummvonBordwehrBelegCuthalionAedanramiAndreaColomboSkatanRik_KirtaniyaLudwig_IITimbo0o0o0leeuxdeltagoThacoBellAdulAerakar[Deleted User]HurricaneGorumaFina92CrevsDaak

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Nice to finally get answers about the patch delay and the problem with google play.

Why didn't you post these details sooner?
    Allanon81Ludwig_IIThacoBellAdul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Couldn't.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 326
    Yeah, why not sooner?
    Ludwig_IIThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    To sum up why is 2.6 delayed:

1) A DLC nobody required.

2) Issues with mobile platforms - an expansion that Beamdog has proven again that can't properly handle.

3) The establishment of a deadline that they can't keep up to.

Unless I misunderstood something.
    AaeightFilipseAntipatikoAmmar
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    @Raduziel
    Regarding 2) if you ever seriously dealt with the app stores (not just standard framework apps that present some web content), you'd know it's never to say "we can properly handle that" and then just handle it. it's always about working with / against the blackbox and automatism monstrosities that Google and apple are due to their sheer size, it's trial and error while the rules of the game change with actually no one to talk to or listen to you.
    ThacoBell
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Very nice about the additional pathfinding fixes.

As Beamdog confirmed more than once that 2.6 won't be their last patch for the Infinity Engine games, there is hope for shorter cycles in the future. I'll keep an eye on those Redmine tickets that are of interest to me and we'll see where things go.
    StummvonBordwehrricoyung
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Don't read too much into this, please. I really ask you.

But while Beamdog indeed confirmed more than once that 2.6 wouldn't be the last patch, that happened in 2018 during livestreams regarding the old content of the 2.6 patch (the one that was ready at the end of the year before the build process became broken).
    AndreaColomboStummvonBordwehrPokota
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Understood.

We'll see what the future brings.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]ricoyung
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    1) the ingame feedback system required some more work. The work required an upgrade to 64 bit. A move that was required in the future any way. So the app is now already 64 bit ready. A clear upgrade that all wants - timing being the grievance point

They already port the game to 64bits almost two years ago for iOS so most of the work was already done.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    lefreut wrote: »
    1) the ingame feedback system required some more work. The work required an upgrade to 64 bit. A move that was required in the future any way. So the app is now already 64 bit ready. A clear upgrade that all wants - timing being the grievance point

They already port the game to 64bits almost two years ago for iOS so most of the work was already done.

Yes - I know. My gaming is on iOS.

I can’t say I know for certain, but I suspect that the job converting the game to 64 bit for the two platforms isn’t the exact same. The systems do differ for all I can see.

When Apple introduced the new requirements for 64 bit games, it also took quite some time. The difference being that Apple told you in advance...

Over all, a step in the right direction imho. And addressing the path finding at the same time is very nice.

And btw. I hope you will get the wanted UI update soon. Well as soon as possible at least.
    SkatanPrince_Raymondricoyung
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2019
    But while Beamdog indeed confirmed more than once that 2.6 wouldn't be the last patch, that happened in 2018 during livestreams regarding the old content of the 2.6 patch (the one that was ready at the end of the year before the build process became broken).

Alright, sounds like a change of plans went through the office since then. Again.
    Will NwN:EE support outlive the IE's in that regard, I wonder? *cough*enhancedmodels*cough*
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    Based on this blog post, I also don't understand why everything had to be kept like a state secret. Finally it's good to have some clarifications though.

Communication goes a long way to keep the support of your customers. For your secret projects that are in progress, of course you will share when you feel like. But for issues mentioned in the blog post, acting mysterious doesn't benefit anyone, including Beamdog. I hope you guys have realised that at least.

We realised that in December. But couldn't share. We've shared it as soon as we got a chance.

Alright, sounds like a change of plans went through the office since then. Again.
    Will NwN:EE support outlive the IE's in that regard, I wonder? *cough*enhancedmodels*cough*

BG:EE was released in 2012. This patch will arrive in 2019. NWN:EE was released fully in 2018. So, of course, there's a lot of time ahead. And the next blog entry will be about the renderer (and enhanced models will arrive after the renderer is updated).
    Ludwig_IIricoyung
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Based on this blog post, I also don't understand why everything had to be kept like a state secret. Finally it's good to have some clarifications though.

Communication goes a long way to keep the support of your customers. For your secret projects that are in progress, of course you will share when you feel like. But for issues mentioned in the blog post, acting mysterious doesn't benefit anyone, including Beamdog. I hope you guys have realised that at least.

We realised that in December. But couldn't share. We've shared it as soon as we got a chance.
    What was stopping you from sharing "Oh, by the way, in order to fix the Google Play issue we have to completely rebuild the game, which is more complex than simply adding this one thing"?

ThacoBell
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    Pokota wrote: »

What was stopping you from sharing "Oh, by the way, in order to fix the Google Play issue we have to completely rebuild the game, which is more complex than simply adding this one thing"?

I feel like the board went through this around the same time as the Atari issue. Assuming that same speculation is true: Beamdog has business partners. To keep those partners happy or to avoid breaching contracts, Beamdog has to have approval on what info they communicate. Or there are certain things those partners don’t want to communicate for whatever reason. I don’t get why this info couldn’t be shared but you’ll notice the passive voice is used almost every time Beamdog mentions the c-word: communication. That’s because what info they can share is out of their hands.

Julius has been asked this question in some form or another in a million places, and every time the question goes unanswered or we get the boiler plate “we shared when we could” response. I think that’s further proof Beamdog just can’t (i.e. they’re not allowed to) answer it.
    TarotRedhand
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    But why COULDN'T any of this be shared?
    lefreutlost1Adul
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Adul wrote: »
    The situation described in the blog post doesn't seem to address why QA and development stalled for many months after the 2.6 delay started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you got at least one more much needed bug fix in, it's just that when looking back at the sequence of events it looks like Beamdog have simply withdrawn all resources from the PC IE games for several months with no good reason, even though the games still contain a plethora of EE-specific regressions.
    Not to worry @Adul. I will try to fill you in:

The suposed minor fix that Beamdog needed to put the games back on the shelve, turned out to be a major fix/overhaul.

In short they rebuild the game in 64 bit for android. A small step for most, but a giant step for android.

Oh and pathfinding will get a fix as well. In all good news.

The lack of info is supposedly due to an NDA. But even that cant be confirmed.
    ElysianEchoesricoyung
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    Oh well, at least some good news. I would be glad tho if there was some approximate release date, since after all, I still don't have BG2 which I need to finish my romance off.
    And tbf, since I am changing phones into an s10e I would lose the game either way.
    I hope it arrives fast so I can continue my journey and finish off what I began. I still haven't seen the final cut scene after its fix.

Until then, I guess it will be PST, heroes and civ3 :P
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    So TL:DR, Mobile Gaming holding the PC platform back?

Not much new at this point with Beamdog....
    lefreutAdul
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    Good work! Looking forward to the 2.6 update!
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovAerakarricoyung
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Nice to finally get some news out for 2.6, even though there's no indication when it's actually coming, other than 'soonish'.

Still not sure why this needed to be hush-hushed.

Also, it doesn't mention in any way if the DLC will still be released or not. I kinda assumed it wouldn't, due to the controversy about it, but it remains unclear.
    AdulAaeightThacoBell
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    What is expected date for 2.6?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    wildfire wrote: »
    What is expected date for 2.6?

There isn't.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited July 2019
    @JuliusBorisov

Do you perhaps know if the 2.6 patch will bring some new capabilities for modding the Infinity Engine (e.g., new/expanded opcodes, new/expanded script triggers/actions and the like)? Thanks in advance.
    OlvynChuru
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    Will we ever get new IE games? Will we ever get a toolset to let us make out own campaigns with IE? PLEASE!
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    We decided to change up the blog format this month, as the question-and-answer posts kept getting repeats of similar items, or queries we can’t really talk about yet.

Please check out a short update from Luke Rideout on the 2.6 patches for Baldur’s Gate & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions, the Google Play fix, and upcoming console releases of our games.

Please release the IE (Plus) Toolset for us to create out own adventures?
    Timbo0o0o0
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I'm hoping 2.6 fixes the soundsets for the EE characters (Neera, Rasaad, etc.) in BG2. According to Redmine they are aware of the issue, but only time will tell if they actually fix it. Fortunately, @argent77 's mod still exists.

Redmine:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/26150

Original Post:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59880/my-main-complaint-of-the-beamdog-content-for-bg2/p1
    gugulug5000