Skip to content

Aielund Saga Enhanced Edition

Comments

• VariableParkVariablePark Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Not sure this is the right place to get help but,

My friends and I (6 men party, hooray!) plan to play Aielund MP. Two of us want to use Drow Matron appearance which is used as Valsharess in XP2 and Caladnei who appears in Wyvern crown module respectively. I tried using Leto, but it seems like the module only recognizes the initial elf appearance one made, ignoring changes. Of course, Caladnei case was the same. As I checked other options, I happened to know that somehow the char is fixed to the basic racial model no matter how I change the appearance using the editor. E.g. If I change the race into Orc, the appearance setting does not matter and I only get Orc A model. If I set it as Dragon, you really get a dragon even though I set it as a lich.

I guess there must be some good reasons you set this setting as default. However, if there are some ways to allow using these appearances, please let me know. I thought about using SetAppearance, but guessed it won't work except the server host character himself. Then I tried to change some scripts opening the toolset, but could not figure out which is which.

Regardless, tnx for making this masterpiece.
  • Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
    Hi, I have a lot of custom scripts and .2da lists which likely exclude newer content. Wasn't done on purpose! I'd probably have to revise the appearance.2da file to allow newer things which I don't have time to fiddle with atm, sorry.
    VariableParkAndarian
  • VariableParkVariablePark Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    I still don't know what the principle is, but deleting whole Shayan's subrace system scripts somehow worked. Guess I only have to revive the journal part of OnClientEnter script. All the appearances added by CEP also work okay.

Please tell me slashing the subrace system does not break the whole plot! ;) I only remember small figures being able to enter caves and dwarves having special dialogues.
    Post edited by VariablePark on
  • sykomanesykomane Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    I'm having an issue in Act 3 in Trinity village. My game keeps freezing in the loading screen every time I try to exit back to Trinity after going into a house. It happens with every tent/house/interior in the village. I load successfully into the interior, mind my own business in there and then when I exit I get stuck in the loading screen for the Trinity village. It's kinda weird, seeing how I could enter the village without the loading issue when I traveled there from the desert area with the mercenary halflings. Any help appreciated :disappointed:
    EDIT: nevermind, only two interior buildings freeze my loading screen. The two ambassador tents. The other interiors let me load out normally.
    Post edited by sykomane on
  • KaosWarMonkKaosWarMonk Member Posts: 40
    FYI - using the latest version of 7zip reports that it can't open the aielund_ems_finale_haks_v3_1.rar file from the vault - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/aielund-hakpack-v301 All the other Saga files are ok.

Thanks for sharing your work.
  • tabataba Member Posts: 1
    Hi @Savant1974

First of all the aielund saga is superb and I really appreciate you making such a great mod.
    The thing is I encountered a bug in chapter 2 in the quest the Scepter of Transcendence. The quest updated normally until the Feybourne part but when I completed the dwarf part of the quest the quest didn't update even though war and other catastrophes updated and showed completed and when I go to the duke he says we were interrupted and go talk to sir Godfrey even though he isn't there.
    If you could find a solution to this bug it would be real helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    I don't think the author will be bug fixing for some time. He is working on a game for a company. I just wanted people to know since there are several requests for bug fixes. He posted about this on Facebook.
    Savant1974
    Hi, yeah sorry I don't have a lot of time for chasing down bugs anymore. :( I can do the little ones but bigger ones like that are a bit too time intensive. Perhaps someone can help you with a workaround :)
    BelleSorciere
  • Moira89Moira89 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Savant1974!

Thank you for the great mod, it really made it worth to reinstall NWN again :)

Could you please help me with Robert's romance subplot? I got his triggered conversation only once, south to Culdeny (This is where you killed me...), then none. I am getting close to the end of Act 3, but he never spoke to me again.

I gathered that from browsing the forum that I need Criosa/Robert in the first 2 slots of the party (I did not pay attention to this before), and I also wear Armour of the Gladiator that gives perma-haste to my character - maybe that is why I missed the conversations?

I started replaying Act 3 because of this, and now I'm almost at Highmarch - still no convos (I have the steam workshp version).
    What am I missing? It would be really helpful if you, or anyone else could tell me in which areas should I watch for his talks.

Thanks in advance! :)
    Post edited by Moira89 on
  • KaosWarMonkKaosWarMonk Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2019
    FYI - using the latest version of 7zip reports that it can't open the aielund_ems_finale_haks_v3_1.rar file from the vault - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/aielund-hakpack-v301 All the other Saga files are ok.

Thanks for sharing your work.

If you hadn't already, pls ignore this, issue at my end.
    Thanks @Moira89 I'm glad you're enjoying it :) I'm pretty sure I fixed the issue with the romance triggers not working if the NPC is in 3rd or 4th place on the list, but maybe I didn't. It's a bit of a blur at this point! If the PC in question is too far from the player when you hit the trigger, it might not fire properly so being hasted could do that.

There's a second trigger in the forest east of Bracksford, and another just south of Highmarch but they're near the entry point of the zone so they should be firing - but only if the first one goes off correctly. These triggers are a bit finicky ;)
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I've been playing the EE version of this series for a few days now, and it's as great as I remember it. :) A superb blend of action, story, dialogue and exploration in all the right proportions! I also love the expanded system for companions/familiars that VASTLY improves their usefulness. Got a few questions though:

1. At the end of the first module "Nature Abhors a Vacuum", the EE version doesn't allow you to re-enter the church where Celeste used to be. The (old) walkthrough seems to suggest that you used to be able to enter the church where Celeste has set up a make-shift hospital, so I'm unsure if this was removed in the EE or possibly the transition trigger on the church door was mistakenly removed. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's a bug. :)

2. I'm currently running around Fairloch in the second module "Defender of the Crown" and I actually managed to pick up all four henchmen (the rogue, the paladin, the barbarian and the "druid") at the same time. It's been too long since I played through the original mods, so I don't remember if there was a henchmen limit. Four seems a bit excessive, but on the other hand, as a completionist gamer, I DO appreciate being able to have all the henchmen (and thus their dialogue) at the same time. :) Reminds me of the old 6-man BG-style parties, even if maneuvering all of them around in tight spaces can be a bit of a pain. XD

3. Maggie Fairweather does not seem to have an assigned voiceset at all. (Talking to her does not play anything for instance, which is a dead giveaway since even monsters with their greatly limited voicesets have a "greeting" line.) It's been too long since I played the original modules, so I can't remember if this was present back then as well, but I just thought I'd mention it since it seems rather odd for a henchman to be completely silent.
    Savant1974
    Thanks for the feedback, glad you're enjoying it!

Yes I enabled 4 companions in 2 onwards, it does make things a little easier I think, but it's very cool to have 4 at once so you don't miss their comments :smile:

I believe I removed the church from the end of act 1.

Maggie is indeed missing a voice set - I don't recall what the original was either. I'll fix it :)
    Woah, I wasn't expecting a response that quickly. :o Thanks for the answers! Sooo... since I'm not THAT far into the module at the moment, I'm wondering if I should wait till Maggie gets a voice before continuing. In any case, thanks for all of your hard work and dedication in keeping this gem of a series updated, Savant!
    I still get notifications if someone posts :) I've put the new EE version up on steam, I'll try to get the vault version done soon. It's been about eighteen months since I've updated this and I'm a bit rusty!
    Ah, I don't have NWN:EE on Steam, so I guess I'll have to wait for the Vault version to update. :)
    Just uploaded it, let me know if you have any further problems :)
    Awesome! I'll definitely let you know if I encounter anything untoward. :)
    Still playing the series and loving it. :) (Just started Aielund IV, Pt 2!) But I thought I should note down a few things before I forget!

1. As much as I love Linu's voiceset for Maggie, it's worth mentioning that it does make her occasionally go "For the Seldarine!" in combat, which breaks setting immersion a little. XD

2. I noticed that the books "The History of Aielund Pt 1" and "The First King of Aielund" actually have exactly the same text, despite History Pt 1 saying that more details about King Alaric can be found in "The First King of Aielund".

3. In Aielund 3 "Return of the Ironlord", there is a minor bug where if you have more than 2 henchmen in the party (e.g. if you're bringing the full complement of all 4 henchmen), any henchmen past the first 2 will not automatically level up when you do. It's not a huge issue because you can still manually level them up by dropping them from the party and re-inviting them, but just something to take note of.

On a related note, I'm kinda sad that Spartan doesn't gain any levels. He's really fun to have along (despite his MASSIVE hitbox that results in my always clicking on him), but his lack of advancement means he's starting to become badly outclassed by the end of the module. Maybe there's a way to just give him more Dragon HD as you gain levels? Or is that not possible via the level-up scripts?

4. Not a bug per se, but I found a way (that only works for wizards/sorcerers/druids/rangers) in Aielund 4 that lets you keep your gear despite the story events. What you do is you transfer all of the gear you want to keep to your familiar/animal companion via the box you normally use to give them new equipment. The companion stays alive throughout the cutscenes, and when you wake up in the desert, talk to your familiar again and (slowly) take back all of the gear you stowed on them.

Personally, I wouldn't fix this "exploit". I mean, come on! I'm a level 25 epic level wizard! You don't think I'd have a few Wish spells and some dimensionally-linked strongboxes kept safely away for just such an occurrence? ;) It's also fundamentally no different than stripping your poor companions bare before the end of the module so you can bring all of their sweet, sweet loot into the next module either to sell for cash or equip the next group of companions.
    Thanks, aware of most of those issues, I just don't have time to work on them ATM. Minor issues though at least :)
    Yeah, none of the above is game-breaking or anything serious. I just wanted to record them down before I finished the series and risk not remembering what it was I wanted to mention. :)

I gotta say that one of my most favourite moments in the series comes when you're facing off against a certain Aielunder mage:
    Auberon enters left, bristling with Greater Spell Mantle, Greater Stoneskin and other buffs.
    Auberon: "I will break you."
    Me: Casts Greater Ruin
    Auberon takes 135 Positive Energy damage.
    Auberon: "Bugger this!"
    Auberon: *teleports*

I've always been a big fan of spell duels as a Mage player, and that one definitely has to be in my Top Ten memories. XD If only Valennia had been here to yell her trademark "COWAAAAAAARD!" after him.
    Savant1974
    Spotted one more oddity!
    After exiting the Lowmarch, Criosa starts up a dialogue with you. Based on the conversation, I presume this only fires if you romanced her, but Criosa makes reference to "spider-things" that are totally absent from the latest version of the module. Based on Lilura's walkthrough, I gather that the Dracari actually used to use the drider models, before they got reworked into their current half-dragon incarnations, but Criosa is still mistakenly referring to their original look. (To be honest, I think that the original Nether Elves design would have been more appropriate, and the Dracolich was simply either a powerful ally of theirs, or forced unwillingly into its current undead form.) Alternatively, you could also have Criosa refer to the Beholders instead, especially since this is the first time in the series that Beholder enemies have cropped up.

Also, my Wizard is very, very sad that the Belt of High Sorcery only gives extra spell slots to Sorcerers. :( (The only reason I sided with the Sand Dragons was so that I could loot Marcus' awesome, awesome spellcaster gear. XD)
    Savant1974
    Yes I'm aware of that one too, it's been on my to-do list for like, a year :smiley: Just don't have time, sorry.
    No rush. :) Just consider this as a handy reference guide or something.

Another minor issue I ran into today with the food quest for the Bracksford villagers.
    It seems that simply picking up the food in the inn triggers some variable that makes the Aielund deserters spawn immediately when you enter the area east of Bracksford. Unfortunately, you don't get the option to tell the surrendering deserters to go and guard the villagers because at this point you haven't resolved the werewolf issue yet. If it wasn't for Lilura's walkthrough, I wouldn't have realized that there was an alternate way of finishing the deserter quest. Curse of being a packrat. (I lugged that Bracksford inn food all through Lowmarch and through Trinity and forgot all about it until the deserters attacked me yelling about food. XD)
    So I've noticed something that I'm not sure is specific to the Aielund modules or whether it's perhaps part of the EMS or another system. Basically, I've noticed that all of my spells seem to be automatically doing maximum damage. I first noticed it around when I hit level 28 (it's possible this kicked in for Aielund IV Pt 2, as I only started noticing it in fights from this point onwards), and it affects not only my regular level 1 - 9 spells (Burning Hands always does 20 damage, Fireball always does 60 damage, Cone of Cold always does 90 damage etc.), but also my epic spells (with Greater Ruin doing 210 damage and Hellball doing a scary 300 damage to a MASSIVE area).

I'm not exactly complaining about this, given that my melee henchmen are dishing out somewhere in the vicinity of 60-70 damage per hit (thanks to high critical rates and sneak attack damage), so being able to pump out AoE spells that can deal comparative damage is welcome for keeping me competitive. I'm just curious about what is actually causing this. Given that it affects epic spells as well, I'm guessing that it's part of the EMS system?
  • BalkothBalkoth Member Posts: 157
    It's EMS, yes.

Auto empowered at 25, auto maximized at 27, and auto empowered + maximized at 33 IIRC.
    Thanks for the answer! Empowered + Maximized at 33, eh? Only a couple of levels to go before I reach that threshold then. XD Does one need to have picked the Empower Spell or Maximise Spell feats in order for those to affect your spells? Or it's automatic?
    Pretty sure you need the feats.
    Well, I'm VERY glad that I picked them for roleplaying flavour then, even though I usually can't bring myself to actually use the feats because the higher level spell slots are usually so precious. (Maximised IGMS used to be a staple on my 9th level bar, but the EMS changes threw that out the window.)

I finished The Fall of Aielund Pt 2 last night, and (apologies if it's been reported before) I thought I'd mention that there's a potentially game-breaking bug right before the final cutscene. It occurs if the PC has an animal companion or familiar, where the creature can block the PC during their scripted walk in front of all their friends, which then prevents the cutscene from proceeding. Due to the player being locked in cutscene mode, you're also unable to move or take any actions (not even to open the game menu!) and the only possible course of action is to manually close NWN.exe and restart the game.
    Things like Maximized/Empowered Cone of Cold/Firebrand/Chain Lightning/Fireball/Ice Storm/Delayed Blast Fireball and other spells should still be staples :P

Also 100 guaranteed no save no resist damage is still pretty good, it's just obviously not as good as 240.

That's weird on the cutscene. I didn't think companions blocked movement like that but I'll try to investigate this and the other stuff in the next week or two.