Skip to content

Introducing the NWN:EE Development branch

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I hate windowed mode. How do I get fullscreen back please now that the ini file is to be ignored?

TR

You can go into the config debug UI or edit settings.tml to change it to fullscreen.
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    Eureka! I opened settings.tml with Notepad++, and I modified these settings:

[graphics.window]
    borderless = true
    height = 1080
    mode = "windowed"
    width = 1920

I changed "windowed" to "fullscreen" with quotation marks, saved the file, then started NWN:EE Development. The first thing I noticed was that it did not start in windowed mode. I exited the program, checked the file and saw the setting had been changed from "fullscreen" to "exclusive". I left the file as is and then restarted NWN:EE Development. Started a module and found that screen edge camera turning works! I hope this helps anyone not being able to turn the camera with the mouse cursor at the edge of the screen. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

Yes!! I've followed your directions and finally it's working properly again!!
    edited August 2019
    ...except for the linux version which if run from the terminal is giving an error: "Segmentation fault" and if run from the Beamdog client: exit code 139.
    I still have my 78.8187 folder backed up to play the development version in linux.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    @VivienneL You can fix the linux version with:
    // nwn-fix.c
    // compile:
    //         gcc -fPIC -shared -o nwn-fix.so nwn-fix.c
    // run:
    //         LD_PRELOAD=./nwn-fix.so ./nwmain
    #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
    #include <dlfcn.h>
    #include <string.h>
    char *dirname(char *path)
    {
        static char * (*original)(char*);
        if (!original) original = dlsym(RTLD_NEXT, "dirname");
        return original(strdup(path));
    }

• Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2019
    @VivienneL Hooray! I'm glad that worked out for you on your Windows copy of the game at least. :smile: My apologies for not being specific as to what OS mine is installed. I am running NWN:EE (both Development and Retail) on a Windows 7 desktop PC. By the way, I am not a programmer by any stretch of the word. I'm just someone who followed the guidance of another forum member, took a gamble and got lucky. It was @TarotRedhand's advise to use Notepad++ that made it all possible. A big, heartfelt "Thank you." should go to him. Thanks also to @JuliusBorisov for his info about editing settings.tml. While I'm on the subject, could someone please explain to me what the "exclusive" command means? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    You are not the only one to take a gamble. Because I knew that notepad++ will open anything as though it is some sort of text file that I thought I'd see what happened with settings.tml. Luckily enough, as soon as it was opened it was obvious that settings.tml was just plain text.

TR
    edited August 2019
    Sherincall wrote: »
    // nwn-fix.c
    // compile:
    // run:
    #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
    #include <dlfcn.h>
    #include <string.h>
    {
    }

Thank you. I will try this and see.
    I am somewhat familiar with the terminal but the above looks confusing to me. How do I use this?
    edited August 2019
    @TarotRedhand After seeing that settings.tml is just a plain text file, I found that WordPad works just as well. Since then, I have chosen it as the default program to edit the file. I think I'll keep Notepad++ on my machine, though, just in case. @JuliusBorisov Please, sir, what command do I use in the config debug UI to switch from fullscreen to windowed mode and back again? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    edited August 2019
    // nwn-fix.c
    // compile:
    // run:
    #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
    #include <dlfcn.h>
    #include <string.h>
    {
    }

Does anybody know how to use the above to fix the linux version? Apparently I'm more of linux noob than I thought.
    Post edited by VivienneL on
    Never mind. I was able to access the config debug UI after reading the directions @Daz had posted in another thread. I'll repeat them here. At any time after starting the game, hit Ctrl+Shift+F12 to access the config debug UI. You can edit the settings from there. Hopefully, a Linux guru can assist @VivienneL with her issue. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • DazDaz Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2019
    VivienneL wrote: »
    // nwn-fix.c
    // compile:
    // run:
    #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
    #include <dlfcn.h>
    #include <string.h>
    {
    }

Does anybody know how to use the above to fix the linux version? Apparently I'm more of linux noob than I thought.

1) Create a file called nwn-fix.c with sherincall's code snippet in the folder where nwmain resides
    2) Open a terminal and go to the folder where you created the file
    3) Type the following: gcc -fPIC -shared -o nwn-fix.so nwn-fix.c

I dunno if your distro comes with a compiler installed, lets hope it does, it should compile the file

4) Type the following in the terminal: LD_PRELOAD=./nwn-fix.so ./nwmain

and it should start the game without crashing
    edited August 2019
    Thank you very much Daz!
    I was doing step 1) and 2) and then was stumped what to do after that. I'm using Ubuntu and have the compiler installed probably because your instructions worked!
    Just to add my 2 cents:
    4) Type the following in the terminal: LD_PRELOAD=./nwn-fix.so ./nwmain
    should be:
    LD_PRELOAD=./nwn-fix.so ./nwmain-linux
    The game will not start in fullscreen mode but that is easily fixed using gedit or another text editor to modify settings.tml like explained above in the comments.
    Happy Gaming!
    Development Build 8189 already? Holy crap!

New should-really-be-self-explanatory ruleset.2da constants: MULTIPLE_ATTACKS_BAB_PENALTY_MULTIPLIER_MONK,
    MULTIPLE_ATTACKS_BAB_PENALTY_MULTIPLIER

Just to be certain, the first ruleset.2da constant will use the -3 penalty. The second ruleset.2da constant will use the standard -5 penalty. Is this correct? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all?
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    edited August 2019
    I am still getting this old crash when asking to see the inventory of certain merchants in HotU https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/39894
    This is still happening with the latest dev build, it is especially bad on PC steam as then you need to use the task manager to close the process.
    Post edited by Calgacus on
    edited August 2019
    Greetings all. I don't know if this a viable bug or not, and I wanted to get verification from other players who might be experiencing the same issue since updating to the latest version of the Development branch. I can neither enable the "always-roll-max-hitpoints-on-levelup" nor disable "hide-hitpoints-gained-on-levelup" settings in the config debug UI. The options seem to be hardcoded, and the game won't let me set them whether I fill the boxes in or leave them empty. Also, The option to always reset encounter spawns seems to be missing from both the config debug UI and settings.tml. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    edited August 2019
    Okay. After doing some more testing, I found that the "always-roll-max-hitpoints-on-levelup" and "hide-hitpoints-gained-on-levelup" settings work the opposite of how they are set in the config debug UI and settings.tml. Hopefully, everyone including @Beamdog will find this information useful. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    @Prince_Raymond Thanks for the report. Issue found and fixed.
    @niv Thank you, sir. Were there any plans to implement the "always-reset-encounter-spawns" option, or was that deemed unnecessary? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    edited September 2019
    Greetings all. I have another report to make regarding the "always-roll-max-hitpoints-on-levelup" setting. It seems that when you gain a level from experience related to combat, completing a quest or when using the DebugMode 1/dm_giveXP console command, your hit points gained at the end of the level up process will be randomly generated even with the setting enabled. Fret not, for there is a workaround. If you save then reload your game at the point where you begin leveling your character, he/she will gain max hit points for that level. If you start a module that automatically raises your character a certain number of levels, you need to save and reload your game for every level gained to ensure your character gets the maximum amount of total hit points. You must have the aforementioned setting enabled for this to work.

Also, without giving away any spoilers, the second house you enter in the slums area between Neverwinter's City Core and Blacklake Proper has a male "Diseased Thug" with a female voice set. This is one of those miscellaneous, non-game-breaking issues from NWN Classic that got ported to the EE. Every time I hear that enemy's death moan, I just tell myself I vanquished a brain-sick transgender patient who's doctor died from the Wailing Death before completing the procedure. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

Edit: Had to include when using the DebugMode 1/dm_giveXP console command and saving/reloading game for multiple levels gained.
    Okay. After one final test, I found that if you disable then enable "Max Hit Points" in the config debug UI, then load a saved game at the point where you begin your character's level up process, You will always get the maximum amount of hit points per level so long as you do not exit the game. You can exit to the main menu and still be golden like Golden Grahams. You won't need to load a saved game at every level up. @niv Does this have any correlation to the issue you have already found and fixed? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2019
    Alas matey, I still gets the crash when loading a saved game in PotSC and Shadowguard in 8190. I really hope this gets fixed, i want to play through PotSC and then TotMS with the lastest dev patch goodies.

Also, the game had to be reset to full screen mode but then dropped back out of full screen mode when I first tried to load a module after upgrading to 8190. That problem did not recur however the game does need to be reset to full screen mode each time I start it up.

Do my eyes deceive me or has there been some nice graphic upgrades in the build too? I seem to be seeing more facial detail than before.
    edited September 2019
    @JuliusBorisov Isn't it about time that the trello boards were updated with patch notes? The last time it was updated was for dev patch 8186... (Yes I've looked at the notes on steam already)

Also could you please expand on what is actually meant by -
    Interval-based game autosaving no longer triggers in singleplayer.

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Calgacus wrote: »
    Alas matey, I still gets the crash when loading a saved game in PotSC and Shadowguard in 8190. I really hope this gets fixed, i want to play through PotSC and then TotMS with the lastest dev patch goodies.

As I understand, our QA monitors the bug tracker very closely.
    @JuliusBorisov Isn't it about time that the trello boards were updated with patch notes? The last time it was updated was for dev patch 8186... (Yes I've looked at the notes on steam already)

Also could you please expand on what is actually meant by -
    Interval-based game autosaving no longer triggers in singleplayer.

TR

There was a bug where if you had the MP server autosave setting enabled, it would also trigger on a SP game.

Trello - I know. I'll get to it when I can.
    Thanks for that. It was slightly ambiguous in that I worried that the autosaves in the OC would no longer work.

TR
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    Got a problem with downloading the newest dev version within Beamdog Client. It stops at 170 MB. At Steam, I got it without any probs.

Is this the issue with the client, that's allready known in the tracker?
    dunahan wrote: »
    Got a problem with downloading the newest dev version within Beamdog Client. It stops at 170 MB. At Steam, I got it without any probs.

Thanks for notifying. It worked alright on Friday for me. We'll investigate once the office opens.
    edited September 2019
    dunahan wrote: »

I'm having the same problem except mine is stuck on 147.95 MB since Friday.
    The Beamdog client seems to have become extremely troublesome since the DLCs have been placed in their own folders. It usually times out on most of the DLCs and I've come to ignore that because I installed them long ago and the game can see them even if the client can't but trying to update the Development version is very frustrating. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 by the way. I've tried it in Windows as well but it stopped at 300 -400 MB.