Skip to content

Baldurs gate 3 thoughts?

SariusSarius Member Posts: 24
Are you guys excited for baldurs gate 3? I'm excited for the game. For some reason though I'm not crazy about it being about the illithids. I also hope we get some familiar characters. Thoughts?
JuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This game is not really "BG3" as it is almost completely divorced from the previous 2 games. Its more a sequel to the awful "Murder at Baldur's Gate" module that uses the even more awful novels charname as canon. WotC is also making a new P&P adventure that is a direct prequel to the new game. This only to use the name of a respected series to drum up more P&P players, while actively discouraging continued development of the IE games. WotC has gone so far as to block all new expansions from being made for BG 1 or 2. Want SoD npcs in BG2? Can't have them. Soultaker resolution? Nope. All because of Larian's new game. So not only am I not interested in ever playing this game, I am actively angry at its existence.
    megamike15OrlonKronsteenleeuxsunset00
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We know not much at this point. In this case, the best indicator for me would be other Larian's games. I like them, so I'm very hopeful and excited.
    mlneveselolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I will just wait and have some more facts before I get excited/disappointed about BG3. We just don't know enough yet. For now all we can actually say is that Baldur's Gate appears in the game and that Illithids are a part of the story.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    @mlnevese Also that almost all of the events, lore, and gameplay are being tossed in the garbage in favor of the novels, comics, and P&P lore.

Regardless of how the gameplay and story shapes up, this game has already failed to be "BG3" on a conceptual level.
    OrlonKronsteenleeux
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    We know not much at this point. In this case, the best indicator for me would be other Larian's games. I like them, so I'm very hopeful and excited.

yeah and thats why I'm preparing for the absolute worst :p
    kanisathaThacoBell
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    hybridial wrote: »

yeah and thats why I'm preparing for the absolute worst :p

Yeah you and me both!
    ThacoBell
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'm not gonna get my hopes up. every single time we get a sequel/revival of an old property it falls on it's face. bg is something that should just stay where it was and not be tainted by what may be a bad game. atlest i can ignore it like i do Bethesda's fallouts.
    ThacoBell
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Baldur's Gate 3 will be fine.
    lolien
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Baldur's Gate 3 will be fined.
    No need to thank me.
    BelleSorcierelolienThacoBell
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I'm currently neutral until I see more. I am hopeful for a good 5e game. I don't take it being named BG 3 very seriously (for or against, so far it just feels like a marketing tactic).
    BelleSorciereZaxares
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I'm currently neutral until I see more. I am hopeful for a good 5e game. I don't take it being named BG 3 very seriously (for or against, so far it just feels like a marketing tactic).

Yeah, I'm holding a similar stance. I'm cautiously optimistic, because I'd love to see a good 5E D&D game, although I'm not particularly thrilled by what Larian's been saying so far about some of their design decisions (Missing is bad? Mind Flayers are misunderstood??), but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until we can see some gameplay videos etc. I also think that calling it Baldur's Gate 3 seems more like a cynical attempt to try and tap into nostalgia when the story is likely not going to involve Gorion's Ward at all; given the sheer variance of what players could do in their journeys as the Bhaalspawn, trying to write a game that can encompass all of these options means they either have to embrace one "canonical" Ward, or keep it so vague that honestly they'd be better off not mentioning the Ward at all.
  • SariusSarius Member Posts: 24
    What I've read is that it is indeed a continuation of the current story. Whether that's true or not, who knows however I've been happy with the past 4 games. I'm hoping this is true and we get at least a couple familiar faces. Yes, tob told us the end of a lot of characters stories, but there are plenty not seen past the first game that could make some sort of appearance. Just remaining hopeful, is all. Maybe I haven't learned enough about it but I don't see it as them using the name to draw people in. Sod launching in 2016 shows that the franchise is still on minds to which I'm happy for.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325

Well, sorta... Larian/WotC has stated that BG3 follows on from the events of the D&D modules "Murder in Baldur's Gate" and "Descent into Avernus", which do touch on events from the Bhaalspawn saga. I think they've dropped hints that the Dead Three (well, no longer really dead) will be involved in some way as well.

@Zaxares Which doesn't work, because P&P canon makes certain things from the games impossible to also be true. Its a sequel to the novels, an existing P&P adventure, and an upcoming P&P adventure. Nothing more.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I've said it before and i'll say it again, WOTC is a terrible corporate entity that is entirely undeserving of the property that it holds. This whole saga is just further proof of that. The last people they are interested in are the ones who enjoy BG the most.

ThacoBell
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It'll be fine, and they can find a way to thread that needle.
    It'll be fine, and they can find a way to thread that needle.

They've alrady failed to do that by having Abdel Adrian being the canon Bhaalspawn.
    megamike15
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited August 2019
    Well, funny.. i recently heard about a possible BG3.. revived my old flame/interest for the serie (storyline/universe)..but i did not really google about it whatsoever..on the other hand, made me think again about my old account HERE for the 'Enhanced series' of the canon BG1/BG2 (and first IWD as for me either)..just wanted to check what was the last 'updated' versions by now (i stopped to watch the upgrades a little while ago..for many reasons, sigh..). But well..first thing i tried to look at here was..what people here DID think about that now new possible BG3.. the read was interesting already /context (never heard about those Larian/WotC b4 etc..), so thank you if only for that.. oh well, i have to say i can't say i am still not interested/intrigued by that announcement and possible new 'adventure' in the FR universe (especially with an updated interface for ex; yes, why not -3D textures? possible? hmm.. i remember there had been a BG game on console some times ago, never played it but..was very fun with a totally new 3D interface from what i heard from a -young- player).. as for the level of it (BG3), sigh..i just guess that will be a little like dragon Age II (and even DA3 from what i heard..but i not even tried DA3..)..DA2 was totally disconnected from the DA1 saves/story..that was shocking, but that was it..i especially remember how they simply used some major NPC names for some 'cameos'..and it happened one was the guy that my forest little girlie elven hero from DA1 fell in love with (well, mainly vice versa^)..and even ended with (the Zoran pervie dude, if i remember..that became at the end a very decent guy..even very nice one, thanks to that^)..well, in DA2 the guy did reappear..just more pervie than ever (and frankly unbearable, unrecognizable^) as if his previous DA story and old flame (as would say a Thor..^) had never existed..lol. Bad luck for me, that was just the one path i had a lot of fun/interest to study/explore in the multiple DA1 possible endings and initial PC choices lol..I guess that BG3 will be exactly the same then..at best. At worst, well..

But anyway! i'm intrigued too for sure, just to check if my semi pessimistic intuitions will pass on that one too (and i deleted my second part of super simple cultural intuitions, to not have troubles here).. ;-))

PS:
    ''So BG3 has been confirmed. It takes place 100 yrs after BG2'' Ahah..ok..at least we won't have the synchro fiasco à la DA2..already that */ Though more details from 'history books'' (oops..scrolls), talking about some key events from the enigmatic post ending lives of the big names from the past, especially the likes of Imoen, Viconia, Minsk/Boo.. would be already a simple but nice touch.. */

(New quick PS.....splited from the post above just for clarity sake - just wanted to hide it - simple bbc 'hide' doesn't seem to work - only 'spoiler' tag seems to work - no real spoiler, just discretion ;-)) ) :smile: :
    PS2:
    just saw a little some work examples from Lorian Studios on YT..seems the skills could be there /graphisms, but a little bit too much flashy colors / childish looks and voice narratives for my taste at first glance.. if that's to get Diablo3 dumb flashy designs everywhere AND characters like Neera/etc everywhere too, in a supposedly dark BG3, oh well..'expecting for the worst', got the idea now, ok..let's hope the 1% chance of good old dark vibes will be there too, just out of respect for the previous BGs atmospheres..before 'mazzy'/etc like characters became the norms in that 'industry' and 'testers'.. */
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-AAXSt0M5Gx0-A9UGut8g

PS3:
    will be based on D&D 5th ed.. ok ... /

PS4:
    just saw the trailer for BG3..omg..that crazy focus on 'mind flayers' seem to come directly from the Stranger Things tv serie momentum..that as a coincidence was the one to put an extraordinary unexpected new light on that old D&D creature at the center of their intrigue (or at least identified as such by a bunch of young 80s children D&D fans.) ) .. but seriously?! based the whole main BG3 intrigue on that, just because a popular TV serie of the moment, made a mention about it?! and those final 'giant shadowy octopus' in the sky between the lightning strikes.. seemingly coming straight from the serie imagery too ?! And that look borderline grotesque remembering me the 'cerebus' comic head..with tentacles?! omg.. Will it be _that_ the major main new sinister monster to face?!.. And that 'Mind Flayer' thing mixed with an Alien kind of parasitic inner infestation?!? Is this serious?! Seriously, based such an iconic serie sequel (apparently) major storyline on a lore creature made mainly popular again due to a Netflix tv serie of the moment, just to capitalize on the easy publicity effect..and mixed that with a kind of 'Alien' thing seriously ?!? (and not even talking about the city streets remembering a little too much the whole bad taste of the final Game of Throne King's Landing streets final scenes -and the whole terrible grotesque final season -too- ?!..) Hmm..

lol..first time i saw that, i almost thought that was a parody!.. but no, seems to be 'serious'..even a BG3 logo with the additions tentacles/claws?! omfg.. O_o ! ..

Oh well, will see...the highest the technical possibilities seem to be available to go to the sky highs, the lowest in the gutter all the rest seem to go nowadays, lol.. personally, i have nothing again 'mind flayers' (and to try to make them the next 'big thing')..but that look is just too ridiculous to be really 'catchy'..as a main new big villains.. (even from the original D&D visuals..but they never were really the main things happily..and never shown totally..nor was that their usual modus operandi to appear in full day light(etc), and for a reason too..)..sigh.. ;-*I

On the other hand, that also reminds me strangely the final scenes of the excellent and delirious Ash.vs.Evil.Dead tv serie reboot too..but that one was clearly a very unique/parodic yet serious horror universe -and excellent one in the genre-...or even the Cloverfield movie serie kind of 'monsters' at the end too..and i also thought about that the first time i saw Stranger Things 'sky scenes'.. soo..maybe there is more than those 'mind flayers' thing after all..talking about demonic and grotesque possible things, the Ash vs Evil Dead thing might maybe not be too far away, at least to explain that sudden usage of those grotesque looking (and visibly super enhanced) 'mind flayers' minions new epidemic.. or maybe that's just me just really trying now too hard to try to make sense with that lol.. realities are usually always more disappointing now (a little like all the Game of Throne YT 'fan fictions' that were arguably far far more interesting and almost always brilliantly cleverer and thoughtful than the final rushed 'spectacular' total turd D&D* producers did 'to finish it' lol..*almost no puns intended here^).. oh well.. ))

OKKK.. first impressions, just first impressions..sigh. ;-)

good nights & days for all )

PS5:
    "(...)MM: And that’s the sort of thing that’s buried in the lore, that they(mind flayers)’re actually a puppet of something else.
    GC: Are the mind flayers the main bad guys in the game?
    SV: They’re not the main bad guys, they’re… part of the overall plot. But they’re not the main plot. We showed the trailer to show the tonality of the game, to show the production values, and also for showing that we were going to go further than what you would expect. Because we did put the Nautolids in on purpose because that’s actually a component from a campaign called Spelljammer, which hasn’t got an equivalent in fifth edition yet."
    (from https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76056/new-bgiii-interviews-with-larianceo-swen-vincke-in-media-advantage-combat-spells-main-antagonists#latest )

Ah okkkk..........

Post edited by sunset00 on
  • ValrogValrog Member Posts: 14
    I'm very excited. WoTC could not have made a better choice.
    JuliusBorisov
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2019
    I actually think that the developers can and will successfully tie in the previous games' saga through a story of a long term grand scheme by Bhaal since the Time of Troubles.

We know that Bhaal foresaw his own death during the ToT and therefore sired his "mortal progeny" throughout Faerun. That was ostensibly to enact the scenarios of schemes by by Sarevok and Melissan in which Gorion's Ward comes out on top. I'm actually not sure just how Bhaal got that glimpse of the future and how far into the future he was able to see. Maybe he can only see as far as getting killed by Cyric and that's as far as itt goes. But we also know that in the official canon Abdel Adrian, a Bhaalspawn, thwarts Sarevok's and Melissan's respective plots. Thankfully the games let us create our own character instead making us play Adrian. But for BG3 it will be Adrian.

However in the tabletop campaign Murder in Baldur's Gate (which Sven Vinke said in an interview is a prequel to BG3 along with Descent into Avernus) we find that the one other remaining Bhaalspawn ambushes Adrian, the two fight, one becomes the Slayer and thereby kills the other, and an adventuring party in Baldur's Gate kills the Slayer. Ironically, this somehow allows Bhaal to return (I forget exactly how but there's a YT video on it by Jordphan - Forgotten Realms Explained). At the time of BG3 (113 years since ToB) Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul, aka the Dead Three, have chosen to be mortal and wander Faerun as demigods.

I think we will learn in BG3 that not only was Bhaal able to foresee his death by Cyric in the ToT, but also his resurrection in MiBG and the subsequent events during the Spellplague and Second Sundering, to where he is now. And he has had a grand overarching plan throughout.

So no, in BG3 our character did not exist in the past as our own version of Gorion's Ward that we played in BG1 and 2. Gorion's Ward was Abdel Adrian. We are a new L1 character that will have to stop Bhaal from completing his grand master plan, which does meaningfully trace back to the ToT, the saga of BG1 and 2, MiBG, and DiA.

It will upset some players that Adrian is Gorion's Ward. In fact, greatly for some. Understandably so. But in order to meaningfully tie in the previous two games to the current Forgotten Realms in 5e, I can at least understand WotC taking a path such as the one I'm speculating they will use.
    JuliusBorisovAdam_en_tiumDinoDin
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lemernis wrote: »
    It will upset some players that Adrian is Gorion's Ward. In fact, greatly for some. Understandably so. But in order to meaningfully tie in the previous two games to the current Forgotten Realms in 5e, I can at least understand WotC taking a path such as the one I'm speculating they will use.
    Alternatively, they could just officially make Gorion's Ward a Doppelganger. That way each and every playthrough would be considered "canon" by players with their individual head canon. Beats having some Adrian oaf in the limelight any day of the week. :P
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Lemernis wrote: »

This is pretty good speculation. Ultimately, I think it's almost guaranteed that there's some plot twist or big reveal in BG3 that ties it back much in a way you're describing. This is why I don't get the objection to calling it BG3. To me, something like this seems inevitable for the game.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    However in the tabletop campaign Murder in Baldur's Gate (which Sven Vinke said in an interview is a prequel to BG3 along with Descent into Avernus) we find that the one other remaining Bhaalspawn ambushes Adrian, the two fight, one becomes the Slayer and thereby kills the other, and an adventuring party in Baldur's Gate kills the Slayer. Ironically, this somehow allows Bhaal to return (I forget exactly how but there's a YT video on it by Jordphan - Forgotten Realms Explained). At the time of BG3 (113 years since ToB) Bhaal, Bane, and Myrkul, aka the Dead Three, have chosen to be mortal and wander Faerun as demigods.

So basically nothing in the games was true. Why must they ruin all they touch.
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Blame mibg, not bg3.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2019
    If the mission at hand, the NPCs, the villains, the graphics, the combat, and the grand adventure, etc., of your L1 (to start) character in BG3 is some really great stuff in its own right then that will more than balance out the bitter taste of Gorion's Ward having been Abdel Adrian.

I don't think there was any realistic chance of this game allowing you to play CHARNAME from ToB. That was never really in the cards. But if it actually does tie back into the Time of Troubles and creation of Bhaalspawns with callbacks to the events of BG1 and 2 it can fairly be called BG3. Imho. Continuity-wise the best we're going to get is something in this vein. It does have to be a great story with great companions and foes in its own right though. It needs to stand on its own in that way. I'm expecting there to be a BG4 sequel to it that is higher level, same as BG 2 was to BG1. So it also has to lay a foundation for that.
    JuliusBorisov
    lroumen wrote: »
    Blame mibg, not bg3.

No, I'm gonna blame "BG3". It was a conscious decision to give the awful novel and P&P version of the events precedence over the actual games its nominally a sequel to.

@Lemernis "If the mission at hand, the NPCs, the villains, the graphics, the combat, and the grand adventure, etc., of your L1 (to start) character in BG3 is some really great stuff in its own right then that will more than balance out the bitter taste of Gorion's Ward having been Abdel Adrian.
    "

NOTHING can fix that.
    megamike15WarChiefZeke