Skip to content

Your Favorite Beer Thread!

mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
BEER!!!!!

Two years ago I discovered the Belgian Beers and since than Im in Love! I tried many, but never enough!

My favorite beer is the Delirium Tremens, but yesterday I happen to lay my hands on La Guillotine ( of the same brewery ) and I must say im now conflicted! So good!

Also Chimay Blue, Westmalle, Maredsous, st Bernardus and Duvel are awesome IMO

So..what are your favorite beers? Any recommendations for more types of beer?? ( preferably 8%-10% of alcohol )

Post edited by mch202 on
MatteoTuriniMilochMoomintrollAndreaColomboElectricMonkBoozillaJuliusBorisovlordkimCrevsDaakAristilliusSkatanlolienjustfeelinathomeAerakarTeflon

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I'm tied for Generic Root Beer and Pennslyvania Dutch Homemade Root Beer. Mmmm~

Sorry I don't like alcohol. XD
    Teflon
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Um... Shouldn't this be in Off-Topic? @tanthalas

For the record, I've been hitting the Hoegaarden quite often these days.
    Sily
  • MattysekMattysek Member Posts: 24
    Home brewery Magistr in Brno in Czech Republic. I guess most of you folks wont be able to taste it :( try Pilsner Urquell its great beer :) Czech beer is best beer ^_^
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    salieri said:

Um... Shouldn't this be in Off-Topic? @tanthalas

For the record, I've been hitting the Hoegaarden quite often these days.

It should.. My bad :-p

@Mattysek I love the czech beers Kozel and Gambrinus , Im not fond of Pilsner Urquell though..

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Köstritzer Schwarzbier (aus Deutschland)
    CrevsDaak
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Good on you, @mch202... Belgian beers are indeed the best, followed by British ales. Orval is one of the better Belgian brews IMO.
    mch202 said:

Fun Fact: Vikings believed that a giant goat whose udders provided an endless supply of beer was waiting for them in valhalla

I think it was mead actually that the einherjar drank from Heiðrún. It's fermented honey rather than grain. Not to everyone's taste but the drier meads aren't bad actually.
    SilyCrevsDaak
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) is my fave. Just delicious.
    AndreaColombo
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @Miloch thanks for the correction!

As for Orval, Never tried it but Its definitely on my 'to-drink' list! :-)
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    I love belgians too! I most like the Rocheforts (particularly n° 10) and the Chouffe brewery (especially McChouffe), but also the most winter ones, like the Gouden Carolus.

We also have a good brewery in Italy that makes a beer that I sincerely, deeply love, the Cajun Altura.
    Moomintroll
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    London Pride.
    MilochAnduinSily
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2012
    I love porter, you don't see it around that much and it often tastes strongly of bread.
    St Peter's brewery do a lovely porter, you can get some of their beers in supermarkets (in the UK)
    Porters crop up every now and again and I'd suggest giving them a go when you see them, especially if you are in to rich, dark beers. (there is meantime London Porter which is easy to get, but I'm not a fan)

Beer I can actually get hold of: St Peter's Cream Stout.

AHFAnduinSilyRobachicken
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Used to live by that brewery, @Permidion_Stark - Fuller's ESB is even better though. :)

Am not a fan of central European beers (Austrian, Czech, etc.) - which is all I can find at present. They all taste like American beer... aka pilsner a la Budweiser etc. Will happily take suggestions though.
    AnduinCrevsDaak
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

I love porter, you don't see it around that much and it often tastes strongly of bread.
    St Peter's brewery do a lovely porter, you can get some of their beers in supermarkets (in the UK)
    Porters crop up every now and again and I'd suggest giving them a go when you see them, especially if you are in to rich, dark beers. (there is meantime London Porter which is easy to get, but I'm not a fan)

Beer I can actually get hold of: St Peter's Cream Stout.

I am with you on liking the rich, dark beers. Stouts are probably my favorite. I just picked up a couple of Left Hand Milk Stouts earlier this week, in fact.

I'm not sure I really have a favorite (I like variety) but good porters and stouts are my generally first choice and fruit beers are about my last choice at this time in life (I still give them a try periodically but they almost always disappoint).
    MoomintrollAnduin
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    Leinenkrugel's Sunset Wheat, it totally tastes like fruity pebbles!
  • AyurukAyuruk Member Posts: 20
    New York state: ithica apricot wheat
    International: franzacanier (may have spelled that wrong) hefe-wizen
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Corona and Kuntsmann for me ;)
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    Mattysek said:

Home brewery Magistr in Brno in Czech Republic. I guess most of you folks wont be able to taste it :( try Pilsner Urquell its great beer :) Czech beer is best beer ^_^

Those arent "beers" they're "pilsners" there is a difference :)

A beer is made from "high cookin yeast" where pilsner is made from "lower cookin yeast" (hence the name lager).

So within the "lagers" i like my brew light in color, fresh in taste and a tad bitter. In Holland that would come down to either "Grolsch" or "Brand".

In the higher segment of brew, the actual beer, there are so many different sorts, but some of the best ive tasted:

- Ysbock, its a belgian brewn beer with a high percentage of alcohol (8,2%) especially brewn for the darker periods of the year, some might call it a winter beer or a christmas brew. i call it tasty! :D

- Gulden Draak (Dragon d'or), again a belgian beer, its a blonde beer, meaning light in color low yeast remains in the beer itself and thick white foam.

- La Chouffe, This one i drink most of the time, its a wide spread beer in belgium and holland, and last time i was at the brewery they said they are getting firm footing on US soil aswel on many beer festival there its been succeful! fun note: their logo is a lepricon who legend says whispered the formula in the brewers ears at night :P

- Korenwolf, A nice white-beer (gains the name white from the flakes of yeast in the beer, making it turbid with a thick white foam :)

If you can find them, enjoy them!!

Anduin
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I used to love all ales, bitter, stout and lager but then I got celiac diease which means I can eat or drink wheat or barley so now all beer is off the table! :( However I have turned my sights to cider and wine, Bulmers is my favourite!
    @Ginger_hammer Ciders are nice, what about mead? A good mead can be used like a good whiskey.
    @Zraenian How do you mean? depth of flavour?
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    @Zraenian what are the ingredients of mead? If it contains wheat/barley then I can't. Spirits are fine tho :)
    Yes, color, aromatics etc. There are many variaties. Hints of herbs, fruits etc. Even the vates it was made in.
    edited October 2012
    @Ginger_hammer, mead is made by mixing water and honey and letting it gain alcohol through yeasting (sorry for bad grammar and structure or word choice ;) )

AFAIK there is no usage of wheats or barley used in the proces of making mead. More info at www.gotmead.com
    ginger_hammer
    @Zraenian I actually brew my own mead, though it tastes like every other home made wine I've made, yeast flavoured alcohol. Mead I've bought has always been very sweet and tasted of honey, which I assume is topped up after fementation - heavily spiced and flavoured meads I believe are normally termed "metheglin."

The flavours thing is an interesting subject after all, every whisky is barrel flavoured!
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    I prefer the german beers (brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot from 1516), especially the weizen. Usually I drink Paulaner and Franziskaner or any other weizen bier from Bavaria.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Blue Chimay is great...when I can afford it.
    Love Grolsch...when I can find it. Probably my first choice of beers.
    I usually have a bottle of Bushmill's in my freezer...not beer, I know, but possibly my favourite adult beverage.
    Jolanthus
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2012
    My favourite beer is Hoegaarden, with citrus.
    And right behind it come these two finnish beers..
    First of all, the best beer you can bring to Sauna: Karhu Ruis (Rye beer)
    And then: Karjala Terva (With a taste of Tar.)

And what @Miloch said.
    Mead is the sacred drink, not beer. Absolutely love the local mead what they brew in a restaurant right next to my place.

There are of course wonderful dark beers and what not, especially the Dragonhead Stout from Orkney.
    Arveragus
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Anduin, @Zraenian ok I'll bite. So how are lagers or pilsners not a variety of beer?

Saying something is "beer" is just a broad categorisation. Where I live, Central Canada, an ale is called an ale (whatever type of ale it may be, IPA, Dark Ale, etc) , but it is still beer. Likewise a lager in Canada (generally what you would call a pale lager) is still a type of beer. Whether or not a type of beer uses yeast which ferments better at higher temperatures or lower temperatures is irrelevant, its still a type of beer if it is is brewed using the four main ingredients of water, malted grains, hops, and yeast.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I like Mill Street's IPA. Its a local brew.