Skip to content

Sling of Everard & Tansheron's Bow

2»

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Yeah, in BG2 magical ammunition generally does not add a + to damage (sling stones are a notable exception). Some do, like Flaming Arrows, in the form of additional element damage, but those ammunition do not bestow a + to their attack and are thus counted as non-magical ammunition, which can hamper your efforts to damage foes in the late game.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Fire arrows are considered magical in the base game, hitting as +1 (or +2 in BG1). It's only some mods that alter that.

As far as I know, the only fire weapon that doesn't count as magical is the priest spell Flame Blade.
  • drnovicedrnovice Member Posts: 23
    Is there a mod for BG2:EE to go back bows "like BG1 rules"?
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2019
    I think there is a mod that has a better longbow to resolve the focus on shortbows and crossbows in BG2, and another mod that adds +4 and +5 arrows, both of which somewhat help address this

Edit: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34009/long-bow-of-stealth-5/p1
    gorgonzolastu-k
    kjeron wrote: »
    @drnovice
    I think this mod of mine may interest you:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64051/prevent-launchers-ammo-less-ammunition-from-stacking-with-real-ammunition
    I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for though - the translation is a bit rough.
    [...]
    Is this mod compatible with BG1:EE ??
    And what about Enchant the Missile Launchers (Ranged Weapon Tweak)? Is it compatible too on BG1:EE?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    drnovice wrote: »
    Is this mod compatible with BG1:EE ??
    There are no such launchers in BG1:EE, so technically no. Due to potential complexity, it only makes changes to the specific known launchers in BG2:EE, rather than attempting automated changes by scanning through all items.

Since you mentioned using custom items previously, I am willing to help make similar changes to those items, or show you how to do so.
    gorgonzolaGusindadrnovice
    [...]
    There are no such launchers in BG1:EE, so technically no. Due to potential complexity, it only makes changes to the specific known launchers in BG2:EE, rather than attempting automated changes by scanning through all items.

Since you mentioned using custom items previously, I am willing to help make similar changes to those items, or show you how to do so.
    Into the script (Setup-AMMOLESS.tp2) I saw some "SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC" command with the indentified description of the item: what is actual mean about this? Does it override original item description or not?
    Is it necessary considering I use italian language (so maybe I have to put italian text into those commands?)
    Into the script (Setup-AMMOLESS.tp2) I saw some "SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC" command with the indentified description of the item: what is actual mean about this? Does it override original item description or not?
    Yes, it replaces the items original description.
    Is it necessary considering I use italian language (so maybe I have to put italian text into those commands?)
    Yes, it would need a translation for other languages.
    Otherwise, it will either display the English version, or an invalid string, depending on whether you have weidu set to use Italian or English as it's default language.
    I set italian default language by weidu exe.

Why does it need to replace original description?
    I compared original text by bg wiki:
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Shortbow_of_Gesen
    and it seems identical.
    Where is the change into text?
    The changes were to more clearly split which values were strictly for the unlimited ammo, and which values affected any ammo it used.
    Original:
    Combat abilities:
    – When no arrows are equipped, the bow fires missiles that are treated as +4 for the purposes of determining what enemies they can damage. The missiles receive +4, to hit including the bonus listed below, and deal a total of 2 piercing and 1d8 electrical damage

THAC0: +4
    Damage: +2 piercing, +1d8 electrical
    Speed Factor: 4
    Proficiency Type: Shortbow

Combat abilities:
    – When no arrows are equipped, the bow fires missiles that are treated as +3 for the purposes of determining what enemies they can damage. The missiles receive +3 to hit, including the bonus listed below, and deal a total of 1d6 missile damage

THAC0: +3
    Speed Factor: 3

Combat abilities:
    – When no bolts are equipped, the crossbow fires missiles that are treated as +4 for the purposes of determining what enemies they can damage. The missiles receive +6 to hit, including the bonus listed below, and deal a total of 1d8+4 missile and 2 fire damage

THAC0: +6 bonus (+4 crossbow, +2 Fire Bolt)
    Damage: 1d8+4, +2 fire damage
    Speed Factor: 1
    Proficiency Type: Crossbow

Combat abilities:
    – When no bullets are equipped, the sling fires missiles that are treated as +5 for the purposes of determining what enemies they can damage. The missiles receive +5 to hit, including the bonus listed below, and deal a total of 1d4+2 missile damage

THAC0: +5
    Damage: +2 (missile)
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Sling
    Replaced with:
    Unlimited Ammo:
    - Spear of Lightning:
    Damage: 2(piercing) + 1d8(electrical)
    Enchantment: +4

THAC0: +4
    Speed Factor: 4