Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited September 2019
    Battle has begun again, my friends. Same rules apply as before. Give me a well-detailed description of what your character does and I will fit it into the scene. Success of your actions will depend, again, on the DM Screen.

Enjoy!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Lagrord sticks to the edges of battle, using his infravision to watch for orcs in the darkness and relay information to his allies. He will engage if he sees allies in trouble or if orcs break through, but his focus is watching the enemy with his better night vision.*
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited September 2019
    Sus'Ann enters in a deep sadness as she sees the innocent golem entering in a berserker rage.
    "Refiner, please forgive us..."

She enters the battle but rather than engaging in combat, she tries to save and stabilize as many fallen, but living allies as she can.
    Edit: She also search for children and women to protect.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Sorry guys, but the project I'm driving is at the last stretch which means complete and utter chaos every minute of the day until go-live. I hope I can add a comment here and there, but it won't be as lenghty as usual. Great narrative as usual @mashedtaters.
    Colden focuses on trying to coordinate the battle and singing his bard songs. Whenever he sees an opportunity, he launch his crossbow at an open target, taking care to not hit any friends by mistake. He will focus primarily on saving Laggie if he see's the kid being in trouble.
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2019
    Hello guys! I am sorry, was distracted my household stuff again and spending time with my family when I don't really check internet. And as always, the most interesting stuff is happening when I am away. It is a pity that i could not answer Herald :(, but we can continue our conversation next time.

Caught in surprise, Nareth should make fast and efficient decisions. He did not have enough time to talk to Herald lately and granted him with a brief answer of "We'll talk later. And you can show me your ways as well." He was pleased with the Herald's loyalty and how these tribesmen keep their promises and oaths. He ignored the unpolite ignorance of Garta, made by Kagnan earlier. Despite the fact that he was disregarding women before, now Garta had all the captain's respect.

But now they all had no time to talk. Nareth found Jirt and Kefto in the crowd and cried:

" Kefto! To arms! We must join these folks in the battle, grab your weapons and regroup quickly! Cover Garta and maybe she can use her bow to cover our arses in battle. Can you still hold a bow, woman? "

He turned his head to Kagnan and said with the readiness " We are ready to join you in battle! Command your men to protect the refugees and to build a round phalanx.. Aye, darn it!.. " , sweared Nareth while noticed that chieftain does not really understand his tactical terms " Just make a circle with your men and put children and women inside ", the captain drawn quickly the simple tactical formation in the air with the fast gesture and holding his long sword in the other hand. He looked for Colden. The Royal Lorekeeper was, however, the first person to protect.

" Jirt, where are ya?! Aye, there you are. Go find M'Lord Colden and protect him! Ya know what to do yourself!.. " cried Nareth on the run as he already was running to the first rows of their defense lines, equipping his buckler on the way. "
    Colden sees Nareth amidst the chaos and groups up with him, focusing his battle songs in wide circles, trying to reach the ears of as many as possible. His ability to affect this battle will be much greater this way than by actions alone.

Colden tries to aid Nareth in decision making, though it's hard to take strategical decisions when the barbarians charge is in full movement. These charges can be devastating, the problem is, it's hard to pre-calculate if it's devastating to you or your enemies..

Colden has read every tome ever written about combat, both Astorwind's, Barbarians' and Orc's. Problem is, you never know how accurate they are and it's all, of course, theoretical. He tries to the best of his abilitities shout out orders where ha can but takes great care to not override Nareth's or make him look weaker in the eyes of the warriors.
    Nareth shouts to Colden: " Master Colden! Take cover, Jirt will defend ya. Also, yet another bard battle song won't hurt, aye? "

The captain notices Sus'Ann and gives her a quick bow, while putting his helmet on:
    " M'Lady Sus'Ann! Please assit the wounded and stay clear from the attack line!../i] ", he continues to follow Kagnan. It is still unclear what is happening in havoc around.
    edited September 2019
    Colden sings stronger than ever before. His latest experiences have taught him much, and he use this new experience to boost his bardic song to greater levels

To glory, Comrades, to glory or Death
    Battle is gory, a brutal blood Fest
    But what is life but struggle and Strife,
    So ride down your enemies, cut them in pieces
    Ignore the cuts, the bruises and screeches
    So fight for Astorwind and gain eternal Life

Hah, a little fastly-made bardic song. Not perfect, but it was a 1 minute job :D You have to RP it's glorious!
    Lagrord steps out into the shadows, trying to sneak to the edges. However, the orcs can see in the dark, too.

One of the orcs moves straight for him, flailing his jagged axe wildly. Lagrord is quick and dodges the strike. With a quick sidestep and a lunge, he runs the orc through the chest with his rapier.

But another orc had come right behind the first, and swings his jagged sword at Lagrord, hitting him squarely in the chest. The world goes black for the servant orc and he falls to his back, unmoving.

“NO!” screams Garta, limping for her fallen companion. With a quick flash, she throws a dagger into the killer’s throat and tries to make her way to Lagrord’s still form lying in the flickering shadows.
    edited September 2019
    The grass around FG-11 is slippery with the blood of fallen orcs, smashed to mush beneath his strikes. The orcs try to fight him off with their makeshift weapons, but they all bounce off his metal guarding without leaving a mark.

“ACQUIRING TARGET... TARGET ACQUIRED... EXECUTE... ACQUIRING TARGET... TARGET ACQUIRED... EXECUTE...” is the precursor to each smashing of an orc. The orcs rally around one particularly seemingly intelligent orc, who seems to have correctly understood the golem’s pattern of waiting while he searches for a target. In between the smashing, the orc rallies his forces and attacks, then withdraws.

FG-11 notices the orc’s hit and run tactics and makes a correction to his fighting accordingly.

“UPDATING METHODOLOGY... UPDATING... UPDATING... ENGAGE...”

The moment he says engage, the leader orc charges into the golem’s waiting blow. The fist obliterates the orc’s chest and limbs goes flying into the orcs behind his corpse.
    Sus’Ann helps the barbarians as they engage on the outskirts of FG-11’s carnage. It is obvious now that the raiders are significantly outnumbered.

One particular raider catches her eye. He is a young man, younger than Kagnan even. Tears of pain are streaming from his eye and he cries out. His arm has been severed.

Sus’Ann kneels down quickly and places her knife in the fire behind her. The battle rages around her, but she knows she can save this young man, this kid really. He will lose his arm, but he will life... if she can stem his blood loss now.

The raider screams out as she saws the remnants of his arm off with the heated blade, cauterizing and sealing the wound. Then she draws the magic of the Refiner to disinfect and calm the poor soul.

Strong and stout, she pulls the young barbarian, now unconscious, away from the battle and moves back into the fray,
    Colden, who had seen his servant and friend’s battle, had fired his crossbow at the incoming orc that felled Lagrord. But the shot had missed.

However, as Garta moves for Lagrord, he does strike the next orc coming up on them, using his keen dwarven eyesight.

Jirt downs two orcs who break through the lines to try to disrupt Colden’s magic. His chant is taken up by the barbarians, who manage to intimidate the orcs for a few seconds.
    edited September 2019
    Kefto and Nareth join with Kagnan and form a circle that punches into the flank of the enemy. They fight furiously and, as Colden joins their ranks, they smash into the orcs with their former barbarian enemies, routing them.

But the orcs’ numbers still give them the advantage. They push back, regrouping as those fleeing FG-11’s carnage join them.

“Captain, watch out!” screams Kefto as he breaks rank to save his beloved captain from an orc behind Nareth.

Nareth and Kagnan make an incredible team. It is as though they can read each other’s minds. They fight hand in hand, inspiring, in tandem with Colden’s songs, the raiders to feats of combat that they could not have otherwise achieved.
    Then the battle is over. The orcs, having lost so many of their number, flee, unable to withstand the carnage from FG-11 on one flank and the circle formation of Nareth and Kagnan on the other.

FG-11 pursues them for a few feet as they run for the cover of darkness. “TARGET LOST... REINITIATING STANDARD PROTOCOLS...”

Then he falls to his knees, weeping robotically.
    Combat is now over.

What do you do?
    l4qlcift65jt.png
    Oh yeah, heroic Lagrord bravely being taken down almost instantly! Good thing I avoided getting outnumbered by not diving into the fray haha.
    edited September 2019
    Sus'Ann searches through the battlefield for the wounded, and stops by the dead to close their eyes and give a short prayer for their souls. She accepts any help in the search.
    When she reach the weeping golem, she put a calming hand over FG-11' shoulder.
    "I'm sorry child, that you have to go through this. We live in a harsh world, but never forget to remember, that we fight for the peaceful moments."
    Nareth wearily lowers his sword, panting heavily. He looks around, seeking Kagnan and gives him a short, grateful nod. It looks like it is all over for now, but still no time to rest.

" Chieftain! We need to regroup and move ahead. The orcs know our whereabouts and indeed will come back with the reinforcement. I might not be that easy next time. We have to join the main forces of Astorwind as soon as we can. Gather your men, bury your dead and we all must soon be gone. "

He approaches FG-11, for some time listening to Sus'Ann's prays. Who would know that creature is capable to cause such a destruction. Yet another reason to keep an eye on this strange thing, but Nareth would not decline its combat value anymore. Nah, he would not stand on its way, oh no. Poor thing was in sorrow and the captain did not know it was able to have such emotions.

" You are not guilty, me mate. ", he crotches aside the crying FG-11 " It is they... These malicious creatures that came at night. But you did well, their lives are revenged now and they may rest in peace, may the Refiner bless their immortal souls. "

Nareth left them be, he was looking for his men and Colden and finally found him near poor Lagrord's body. His eyes were wide with horror, the captain had seen blood before of course, but he treated his soldiers like a father and took any loss as a personal overlook. He ran towards them:

" M'Lord Colden! What's with this young lad? Refiner almighty! ", Nareth kneels near the lying Lagrord.
    Colden had rushed to Laggie directly when it was safe enough to do so. He stands next to the broken body and inspects him. He has no healing knowledge to speak of, except the few minor ones his bardic knowledge grants him. His heart races and he feels the dread of losing his protegé.

He screams out, half with fear and anxiety and half commanding; "SUS'AAAAAAAN! TO ME!". His yes gazing around the battlefield to try and scout her amidst the chaos.
    When Sus'Ann hears Colden's yell, she runs to see what happened immediately. She'll try her best to save and heal Lagrord.
    edited September 2019
    As Colden comes upon Lagrord, he finds Garta kneeling down with his head in her lap. Tears are flowing down her cheeks, but she is furious.

“Off to the hells with you if you die on me now!” she growls. “You are the one virtuous thing in this forsaken world, and if you leave it with me alone, you can take your goodness to the spirits and let them devour your soul! Such will be my pain if you pass, and I wish it upon you in vengeance for your reckless abandonment!” It seems she could have gone on cursing Lagrord to all the undeserved hells and torture of her strange heathen beliefs, but at that moment she notices Colden and Nareth approaching, followed closely by Sus’Ann. She quickly, fiercely scrapes at her face, almost compulsively, burying her tears alive in the ashes of the fires resting upon her.

“He has sustained massive damage,” says Garta, professional and cold. “That orc that thrust his blade into his chest was twice his size.” She bites her lip, fighting to hide the fear in her voice.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    As Sus’Ann kneels to examine him, she finds that he is breathing, though it is mildly ragged. She sees no wound on his chest and no blood. She is experienced in the wounds of war, however, and knows that sometimes such an injury could puncture and traumatize via the armor itself.

Carefully, she gingerly unbuttons Largord’s blue leather coat, the one he looted from Cora’s Sugar Manufacturing, and find that his chest is only mildly bruised. She gingerly feels around and notices a cracked rib. Poking it, Lagrord comes awake with a start, regaining consciousness.

Sus’Ann notices blood in Garta’s lap. She deduces that Lagrord hit his head when he was blasted back and lost consciousness then.

Sus’Ann is surprised. The injury should have caused him major damage to his body. Perhaps there is internal bleeding or hemorrhaging?
    @ThacoBell your character is awake now. You can speak freely.
    Sus’Ann feels within her a new insight granted to her by the Unblighted, a new spell. He grants her the wisdom to see within Lagrord, as though divining his body for ailments. She detects that there is no internal bleeding and no hemorrhaging, and confirms that one of his ribs is slightly cracked.

This is something she has not seen before. Lagrord was cleanly struck a fierce blow, one that would have felled an experienced campaigner, such as Jirt or Kefto, even through standard issue chain mail armor.

You notice that the weapon that struck him, though crude, is sturdy, jagged, and sharp. There is no reason it shouldn’t have pierced the armor and inflicted a fatal wound upon Lagrord.

Sus’Ann deduces that it must be some strange property of that ancient executive’s blue armor leather that saved him. She can only assume that it is magical.

Colden also knows enough about injuries and armor to deduce these things about Lagrord’s new armor.
    *Lagorord starts awake suddenly, intending to continue the fight. He gets about half an inch before the pain and coughing makes him lay back down. It takes him a few moments to realize the fighting is done*

"Did *cough* did anyone see that carriage that struck me?"
    "The Refiner smiled upon you today Lagrord. I assume that the armor you wear protected you from a fatal blow. You should be in dire state, but all i can see is a cracked rib and a dizzy head from the fall! I'm happy that you are right. Now please forgive me, but i have to attend the other injured."
    With this Sus'Ann leaves to check the remaining injured people. If she's ready, she will search for the youngster with the severed arm to check his state.
    "Let me catch my breath for a moment and I'll help as best I can."

*Lagrord painfully pulls himself up to a sitting position and cathes his breath.*
    Insert comment about my armor being worth more than all the Shire.
    hey guys I just wanted to drop in and leave you a note.
    I have been repainting my home and working seven 12 hour shifts every other week. Honestly, I’m surprised I’ve been able to post at all this summer.
    So don’t think this thread is dead if I don’t post for a few days. I still have a direction for the story, though you guys miraculously keep switching it all up on me. That’s the great part about being a DM: the players help enrich your story. So thanks for that.
    Garta stands up from Lagrord, furious.

“So you’re perfectly fine?” she hisses. “A minor broken rib and a bump on the head??

“You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lagrord... leaving the group like that by yourself! You could have been killed!”

Then, as though she had revealed too much of her current state of emotion, she rushes off, limping against her healing leg.