Skip to content

Simplified Psionicist Kit

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
edited September 2019 in General Modding
I've always wanted to be able to use Psionic Blast and other psionics in Baldur's Gate, but the psionics mods I've found tend to try to replicate PnP rules, which don't quite match the psionic spells you see from mind flayers and githyanki in BG2. Instead, I cooked up a simplified system that gives the character per-day uses of the same kind of psionics that enemies use, with some slight nerfs for balance purposes. To keep things simple, I made this Psionicist a fighter kit, and rather than imposing item restrictions, I just limited it to 1 proficiency point in any weapon or weapon style and cut its HP. The kit is less effective as a tank and damage dealer than a normal fighter, but still just as versatile.

I wanted the player to have much the same powers as enemies, but since enemy psionic spells don't scale very well in ToB, I gave the Psionicist some custom HLAs based on those of other classes, including a 1-round Time Stop, a 3-round weapon immunity spell, a weaker Hardiness that also blocks magical damage, and a nonmagical Feeblemind effect.

Kit Description:

A Psionicist uses his or her mind to control and manipulate the world around them. Generally self-taught, Psionicists train their brains and sharpen their latent powers, gaining powers that are alien even to wizards and priests. A psionicist may levitate objects, create energy from nothing, and even seize control of the minds of other sentient beings with nothing more than a thought.

CLASS FEATURES:

Advantages:

- +1 Intelligence
- Gains special innate abilities as the Psionics gains levels. All of a Psionicist's powers are instant-casting and bypass magical resistance:
- Level 1: Mind Blast. Gains an extra casting every 3 levels after.
- Level 2: Ballistic Attack. Gains an extra casting every 4 levels after.
- Level 3: Ego Whip. Gains an extra casting every 5 levels after.
- Level 4: Detonate. Gains an extra casting every 6 levels after.
- Level 5: Psionic Blast. Gains an extra casting every 7 levels after.
- Level 6: Psionic Disjunction. Gains an extra casting every 8 levels after.
- Level 7: Psionic Domination. Gains an extra casting every 9 levels after.
- Level 8: Cure Serious Wounds. Gains an extra casting every 10 levels after.
- Level 9: Planar Travel. Gains an extra casting every 11 levels after.
- Level 10: Psionic Maze. Gains an extra casting every 12 levels after.

Disadvantages:

- Can only attain Proficiency (one point) any weapon or weapon style
- Only gains 1d6 HP per level

High-Level Abilities:

- Psionic Shield
- Mental Deconstruction
- Psionic Mantle
- Astral Comet
- Psionic Stasis
- Diffusion
- Psychometabolism
- Psionic Backlash

Prime Requisite For Dual-Classing: Intelligence

- Hit Die: d6
Post edited by semiticgoddess on
ZaghoulhistamiiniArviaGusindaRaduzielGrammarsalad

Comments

• Ekalia23Ekalia23 Member Posts: 12
    The HLA's don't seem to be working...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @subtledoctor, I am totally stumped by this. The kit never gets to access its HLAs upon leveling up. The game won't allow any HLAs for this class even if I reset its LU abbreviation to Fi1, the same as for unkitted fighters, LUFI1.2da. If the game won't accept vanilla HLAs, I don't know what the problem is.
    I'll go ahead and tag @kjeron, @Grammarsalad, and @OlvynChuru since SD hasn't been active in a week or so. Any idea why a custom kit would be unable to gain any HLAs, whether custom or vanilla?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2019
    The vanilla Fighter table works fine with this kit for me.
    The kit's own HLA table doesn't work because the MIN_LEVEL column has incorrect values (15 instead of 1).
    Grammarsalad
    @kjeron: Perfect! The kit is now fixed, @Ekalia23!
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Cool idea!

What do you think of making this a monk kit? It fits thematically, imo, and you should be able to make this kit--and only this monk kit, if you like--accessible to non humans with k_x_y.2da shenanigans.

Heh, we really need a talented artist to provide shorty monk animations to the community...wait, what were we taking about? :)
    @Grammarsalad: I just added a monk kit! Since the fighter's disadvantages were mostly irrelevant, I took away Stunning Blow, Quivering Palm, and Lay on Hands, and slowed the monk version's THAC0, damage, and APR progression instead.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    This is a cool kit; I do think it'd work better thematically as a Monk kit, but you already knew that.
    Cool idea!

Heh, we really need a talented artist to provide shorty monk animations to the community...wait, what were we taking about? :)

Excuse you! My janky re-scaled human animations will not be slandered. :p

Djinn
  • DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 76
    hehe I would actually prefer rescaled human animations to the normal shorty animations :P