Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've long since lost track of the number of times I've heard about someone lamenting an alleged moral decline of their entire civilization. They say that folks in the old days knew how to act, we're drifting away from the right path, and we have to return to the old ways to fix our world. You see the same idea everywhere from modern America to ancient Greece to the Israelites to Confucius. It shows up in every culture, and it shows up in every time period. Listening to all those complaints, you'd think this year was the cruelest period in history, while a few thousand years ago, everyone had impeccable conduct.

The moral decline of a society is a purely abstract concept. The moment you look at concrete displays of morality--which can be anything from crime rates to volunteering hours--the past invariably looks less attractive than the present.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I've long since lost track of the number of times I've heard about someone lamenting an alleged moral decline of their entire civilization. They say that folks in the old days knew how to act, we're drifting away from the right path, and we have to return to the old ways to fix our world. You see the same idea everywhere from modern America to ancient Greece to the Israelites to Confucius. It shows up in every culture, and it shows up in every time period. Listening to all those complaints, you'd think this year was the cruelest period in history, while a few thousand years ago, everyone had impeccable conduct.

The moral decline of a society is a purely abstract concept. The moment you look at concrete displays of morality--which can be anything from crime rates to volunteering hours--the past invariably looks less attractive than the present.

Unless you don't live in reality. Which, let's face it, a lot of people don't...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    BillyYank wrote: »
    So how far back does the practice of blaming games for "moral failings" go? How about this 5th century B.C. quote from the Buddha himself:
    “some recluses…while living on food provided by the faithful, continue addicted to games and recreations; that is to say…games on boards with eight or with 10, rows of squares.”

Games blamed for moral decline and addiction throughout history

What is "moral decline" anyway?? Because as long as I've been conscious of the concept, all it's ever seemed to be about is people having more sex and going to church less than other people deem appropriate.

There isn't, and never has been a "moral decline" even by evangelical standards. People have been going back and forth on going to church throughout history. I mean, how many europeans came here in the first place because they were Protestants who wanted to avoid orthodox churches of the time? Does that mean all members of the church since then are less moral than they the early settlers? Heck, churhces are more numerous around the world now than ever before, how does that translate to a moral decline?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    So how far back does the practice of blaming games for "moral failings" go? How about this 5th century B.C. quote from the Buddha himself:
    “some recluses…while living on food provided by the faithful, continue addicted to games and recreations; that is to say…games on boards with eight or with 10, rows of squares.”

What is "moral decline" anyway?? Because as long as I've been conscious of the concept, all it's ever seemed to be about is people having more sex and going to church less than other people deem appropriate.

There isn't, and never has been a "moral decline" even by evangelical standards. People have been going back and forth on going to church throughout history. I mean, how many europeans came here in the first place because they were Protestants who wanted to avoid orthodox churches of the time? Does that mean all members of the church since then are less moral than they the early settlers? Heck, churhces are more numerous around the world now than ever before, how does that translate to a moral decline?

I don't ascribe morality to going to church anyway. Where does that leave me? I've been to churches where the pastor's wife cheated on him with a deacon, another one where the youth-pastor/music leader was a child-molester and another where a very good pastor lost half his flock to BS politics. To me the church is just power politics disguised as morality. The true God in America is the almighty dollar, hands down...
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Unless you have studied, not internet scan read, Ancient teachings prior to Christianity you cannot make an accurate assumption on human morality. Peoples in Ancient times understood that in order for society to work, everything around them had to be respected. How their comments or will affected others and how they understood themselves. They understood that nature and the cosmos was them included in the equation not that some great divinity was going to come and tell them what to do and save them from themselves.

Society was constantly teaching consequences to actions and force of will to the whole, not just to themselves. What do we all need to become better together, not what do the people that just agree with my views want so I can keep them compliant and passive.

People in ancient times understood volunteering differently. It wasn't something that people did to feel better about themselves and to clear their conscience like it is today, it was life. Nothing got done if people did not give their time to each other, especially in small communities. There was no Home Depot or Child care Centre.

Crime was nowhere near the epidemic that plagues us today. Every culture understood their form of honor and virtue. Not to say there wasn't crime at all but there where swift repercussions to criminal action. There were no hung juries or mistrials, technicalities or mental illness pleas. There wasn't a constant display of violence, anger and hate on a screen in your living room. People did more together because they depended on each other more and they understood that.

They did not want to let others down, that to them was the ultimate crime to their communities. It went against their honor.
    edited October 2019
    TakisMegas wrote: »

People in ancient times understood volunteering differently. It wasn't something that people did to feel better about themselves and to clear their conscience like it is today, it was life. Nothing got done if people did not give their time to each other, especially in small communities. There was no Home Depot or Child care Centre.

Crime was nowhere near the epidemic that plagues us today. Every culture understood their form of honor and virtue. Not to say there wasn't crime at all but there where swift repercussions to criminal action. There were no hung juries or mistrials, technicalities or mental illness pleas. There wasn't a constant display of violence, anger and hate on a screen in your living room. People did more together because they depended on each other more and they understood that.

They did not want to let others down, that to them was the ultimate crime to their communities. It went against their honor.

That's a very simplistic view of the ancients based on whatever writings were passed on by the elites. I sincerely doubt that the plight of the average human being was any better than it is today. In fact, I'd argue that it was far worse.

Edit: I'm not aware of any ancient text explaining how shitty the lives of their slaves were...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2019
    the past invariably looks less attractive than the present.
    but make america great again pretends that the past was more attractive than the present. whoops.

Why can't we make America greater than it's ever been?

edited October 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »

That's a very simplistic view of the ancients based on whatever writings were passed on by the elites. I sincerely doubt that the plight of the average human being was any better than it is today. In fact, I'd argue that it was far worse.

Edit: I'm not aware of any ancient text explaining how shitty the lives of their slaves were...

That's what life was back then, simplistic. No black or white, gay or straight, just the Sun, Moon, Stars, Nature and your family. Is life easier today? Depends. If you live paycheck to paycheck with a million dollar mortgage ( late Middle English: from Old French, literally ‘dead pledge’, from mort (from Latin mortuus ‘dead’) + gage ‘pledge’ ) then yes, this is what the Elites handed down to us.

If you are talking about the simplicity you said I view, then ancient times were better. Those are the things my ancestors past down to me and my family and I preserve those old ways. I am much happier and live a better (simpler) life than most.

Edit: Today's slaves work at Tim Hortons and McDonalds, they are forced to buy homes and cars and iphones with minimum wage. ( late Middle English: from Old French, literally ‘dead pledge’, from mort (from Latin mortuus ‘dead’) + gage ‘pledge’ )

That's what life was back then, simplistic. No black or white, gay or straight, just the Sun, Moon, Stars, Nature and your family. Is life easier today? Depends. If you live paycheck to paycheck with a million dollar mortgage ( late Middle English: from Old French, literally ‘dead pledge’, from mort (from Latin mortuus ‘dead’) + gage ‘pledge’ ) then yes, this is what the Elites handed down to us.

If you are talking about the simplicity you said I view, then ancient times were better. Those are the things my ancestors past down to me and my family and I preserve those old ways. I am much happier and live a better (simpler) life than most.

With antibiotics and vaccinations I'd bet. Just sayin'...
    edited October 2019

Medicine evolved. What's wrong with that? Now who is the one stuck in the past?

The ancients were full of shit. It's technology that's made things better for humanity, not some bullshit philosophy that worked if you were one of the elites (if they were lucky).
    edited October 2019

The ancients were full of shit. It's technology that's made things better for humanity, not some bullshit philosophy that worked if you were one of the elites (if they were lucky).

By enslaving us to tech? We can't even go to the store and get food to cook, we just pull out our Iphones and open the Uber Eats app.

Also I see you are angry and it's a touchy subject for you so I will stop this debate now. I don't wish to cause you extra stress or anxiety.

I will give you one word of advice. Those that came before you sacrificed ALOT for you to have debates like these from the comfort of your safe spaces. Respect them.

By enslaving us to tech? We can't even go to the store and get food to cook, we just pull out our Iphones and open the Uber Eats app.

Also I see you are angry and it's a touchy subject for you so I will stop this debate now. I don't wish to cause you extra stress or anxiety.

I will give you one word of advice. Those that came before you sacrificed ALOT for you to have debates like these from the comfort of your safe spaces.

I'm not angry at all. I tend to argue forcefully (I have a lot of Irish and German in me). I honestly like you but I'm just saying that if you look back at your family tree I'll bet there are a lot of dead branches and the further back you go the more of them there are. If their philosophy brings you peace of mind I'm good with that. As long as you don't think things were better for everybody back in the 'Good ol' Days' of yore. They weren't.
    @TakisMegas

Now you've got me curious about what traditions you're talking about. Peace of mind is hard to come by and whatever insights you have would be very interesting to me. You're obviously not one of those anti-vaxers so maybe you're onto something.
    edited October 2019
    I get ya. I never said everybody. Even today it's not better for everyone. I spend close to six months a year back home. My family and others in the surrounding villages have kept the old ways even through the forced christianization of the area . I can tell you that we are much healthier and happier for it. No fast food, TV, or Politics. Just family and the work you need to do to make yourself and others better.

I would say to try it, you will not regret it.
    I get ya. I never said everybody. Even today it's not better for everyone. I spend close to six months a year back home. My family and others in the surrounding villages have kept the old ways even through the forced christianization of the area . I can tell you that we are much healthier and happier for it. No fast food, TV, or Politics. Just family and the work you need to do to make yourself and others better.

Sounds like some kind of commune almost. Are you Amish, or something along those lines? If I recall correctly you're in Canada, is that right?
    @Balrog99

Hit me up on PM, i'd be glad to help a friend.

Sounds like some kind of commune almost. Are you Amish, or something along those lines? If I recall correctly you're in Canada, is that right?

LOL Not Waco Texas shit.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I don't ascribe morality to going to church anyway. Where does that leave me? I've been to churches where the pastor's wife cheated on him with a deacon, another one where the youth-pastor/music leader was a child-molester and another where a very good pastor lost half his flock to BS politics. To me the church is just power politics disguised as morality. The true God in America is the almighty dollar, hands down...

My point was that even by their standards, there is no decline.

My point was that even by their standards, there is no decline.

Unless you're one of them. You'll never convince anybody in my immediate family that there isn't a moral decline.

I am in Canada but I go back home for half the year. We just try to live by what our ancestors and people that came before us did. It helps that I read and understand Koine and other Ancient Hellenic dialects. I can read and understand what they wrote and the way they thought better than most. I do not get my info from wikipedia or the internet.
    Cracks in the dike?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/media/matt-drudge-trump-impeachment/index.html

I still listen to Rush Limbaugh occasionally and he hasn't abandoned Trump by any means, but I've been hearing that Fox News isn't towing the line like they used to. Perhaps I'm not the only one noticing that le'Empereur is looking more like Lady Godiva...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2019
    Cracks in the dike?

I still listen to Rush Limbaugh occasionally and he hasn't abandoned Trump by any means, but I've been hearing that Fox News isn't towing the line like they used to. Perhaps I'm not the only one noticing that le'Empereur is looking more like Lady Godiva...

It's not a huge crack, but there are people dropping off, and even losing 2-3% of his base is a fatal blow at this point. And it's not just the impeachment. Many on the right are absolutely livid about his abandoning the Kurds, including religious conservatives like Pat Robertson, Franklin Graham and Erick Erickson. They have way different reasons for being upset than I do (my guess is they view it as surrender in a holy war), but they are pissed all the same. So are many military members who view the Kurds as the most reliable allies they have ever worked with while on active duty. The swath of people who find what he did disgusting is REALLY broad, and he did it at a time he can least afford to take on more water.
    Cracks in the dike?

It's not a huge crack, but there are people dropping off, and even losing 2-3% of his base is a fatal blow at this point. And it's not just the impeachment. Many on the right are absolutely livid about his abandoning the Kurds, including religious conservatives like Pat Robertson, Franklin Graham and Erick Erickson. They have way different reasons for being upset than I do (my guess is they view it as surrender in a holy war), but they are pissed all the same. So are many military members who view the Kurds as the most reliable allies they have ever worked with while on active duty. The swath of people who find what he did disgusting is REALLY broad, and he did it at a time he can least afford to take on more water.

Trump listens to nobody but Trump so as far as I'm concerned he's digging his own grave. I'm not speaking only for myself either. The other conservatives where I work are falling off the bandwagon too. Very soon he's only going to have the fringe religious right (and arguably the white-supremacists) on his side and that will be his undoing. He's tweeting himself into impeachment, or if the Republicans don't abandon ship, he's tweeting them into a political wasteland for 20 years or more. It's time for real conservatives to wake up!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Even now, I'm not optimistic about the prospects for Trump's removal from office. It does depend very heavily on GOP senators, and the reality is that they need to avoid alienating Republican constituents in order to get reelected. A GOP senator who has supported Trump for 3 years and then calls for impeachment will lose a lot of Republican votes, but gain very few Democratic votes to compensate.
    I just wrote Debbie Dingell that she has my full support in voting for impeachment. I didn't promise to vote for her, but let her know that an impeachment vote wouldn't sway any future votes on my part. It's way past the point where I can just sit idly by and hope conservatism can survive this dipshit!
    Even now, I'm not optimistic about the prospects for Trump's removal from office. It does depend very heavily on GOP senators, and the reality is that they need to avoid alienating Republican constituents in order to get reelected. A GOP senator who has supported Trump for 3 years and then calls for impeachment will lose a lot of Republican votes, but gain very few Democratic votes to compensate.

Conservatives aren't necessarily Republicans. I couldn't give two shits about the Republican Party right now. They're not real conservatives if they back this moron! The Kurd backstab is the last straw as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and the 'Im the enlightened one' tweet. What an asshole...

Well I can't write any Republican congressman or senator because I'm not represented by any. I wrote Dingell because she's been on the fence about impeachment. I likely won't write either of my senators because I already know where they stand. I can only hope other conservatives are writing their representatives too. That's the best I can do...