Skip to content

[MOD] The Chaos Sorcerer: A Wild Magic Kit for Sorcerers

Comments

• TurmobilTurmobil Member Posts: 4
    Flashburn said:

Turmobil said:

I just have one question - is it possible to get a readme or something similar with the locations of the new items added? I think they're a really cool idea and I'd hate to miss out on them.

Here's the locations of the special items:
    Akadi's Cloak of Rapid Motion:
    -Drops from the Air Aspect in the Air elemental challenge room of Durlag's Tower in BG1.

Istishia's Mind Shield:
    -In the not-so-random encounter area with the orcs fighting trolls in SoD. It is inside the cave and through the big pool of water guarded by a bunch of trolls. Infravision from any source is required to allow diving in to the pool. The circlet is in a container on the far east end of cave that you reach by diving through the pool of water, guarded by freshwater trolls and slimes.

Grumbar's Defense:
    -Therndle Dagelfodd gives this to you as a reward for freeing his son from the imprisonment device in the Underdark in BG2.

Kossuth's Stinger:
    -Drops from the fire giant priest Berenn in ToB inside Yaga-Shura's enclave.
    Awesome! Thanks for the help man.
    Flashburn
  • StormfinStormfin Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2018
    Hello @Agent77,

Its not a big deal, but Chaos Sorcerer seems to clash with Exotic Items pack from G3's The Calling - if installed after it.

Tested on BGEE+SOD 2.5. No other mods. As I say, not a huge issue as, it seems to be ok if I reverse the mod order - just thought I'd let you know.

[./override/%LIGHTHOUSE_BLACKALARICSCAVE_BCS.BCS%] loaded, 375 bytes
    ERROR: [%LIGHTHOUSE_BLACKALARICSCAVE_BCS.BCS%] -> [override/%LIGHTHOUSE_BLACKALARICSCAVE_BCS.BCS%] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Unknown extension for DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH: bcs%"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing ["Chaos Sorcerer" kit], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
    Will uninstall 38 files for [A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 38 files for [A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2] component 0.
    Unable to Unlink [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/READLN.0]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/READLN.0")
    Unable to Unlink [A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "A7-ChaosSorcerer/backup/0/READLN.0.TEXT")
    THECALLING/SETUP-THECALLING.TP2 0 40 Installed
    ERROR: Failure("Unknown extension for DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH: bcs%")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.DEBUG and look for support at: Argent77

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    @Stormfin The problem lies with the component of "The Calling". It seems to fail to resolve a variable, which results in an invalid script to be installed (%Lighthouse_BlackAlaricsCave_BCS.bcs%). I'd suggest to report this issue in the respective forum of that mod.
    Aedan
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Stormfin @argent77 It's already reported and I've created PR with a fix: https://github.com/Gibberlings3/The_Calling/pull/1
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    @argent77. Hi. I want to provide you a russian translation for this mod. Please, include it in release.
    argent77
    @Saigon1983 Thank you! I'll add it to the mod shortly.

Btw, setup.tra still contains English lines. Is this intended?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2019
    Hello @argent77,
    do this mod and "wild magic additions" clash conceptually? I read it is compatbile, just asking if you would leave your mod and the other in the same game

https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-wildmage
    Post edited by Arthas on
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I had a cool little idea for Chaotic Eruption: you could make it deal 1d100 damage of each damage type rather than 10d10 (the PnP equivalent of 1d100 would be rolling percentile dice). A 1d100 roll varies much more than a 10d10 roll (since 10d10 rolls tend to be concentrated around the middle value of 55, whereas with 1d100 every value is equally likely), so it'll be a bit more chaotic. :)
    bob_veng
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to make this compatible for BG:T, or does it use opcodes that aren't available for it?
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Anyone been able to get this kit to work with mods that alters race restrictions?
    Really want to try out a Chaos Sorcerer Hafling or Gnome, but everytime i add an mod to unlock sorcerer for those races the option to choose the Chaos Sorcerer kit disappears
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    I had a cool little idea for Chaotic Eruption: you could make it deal 1d100 damage of each damage type rather than 10d10 (the PnP equivalent of 1d100 would be rolling percentile dice). A 1d100 roll varies much more than a 10d10 roll (since 10d10 rolls tend to be concentrated around the middle value of 55, whereas with 1d100 every value is equally likely), so it'll be a bit more chaotic. :)
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll play a bit around with it and see how it works. :)
    Arthas wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to make this compatible for BG:T, or does it use opcodes that aren't available for it?
    Unfortunately that's not possible. This mod requires several features and externalizations, which are only available since more recent patch versions of the EE games.
    Rangeltoft wrote: »
    Anyone been able to get this kit to work with mods that alters race restrictions?
    Really want to try out a Chaos Sorcerer Hafling or Gnome, but everytime i add an mod to unlock sorcerer for those races the option to choose the Chaos Sorcerer kit disappears
    The mod shouldn't contain anything hardcoded to a specific race. You'll likely have to install mods altering race restrictions after the Chaos Sorcerer Kit to have any effect.
    I've made a quick test with Tweaks Anthology's "Remove racial restrictions for kits" component and it worked as intended.
    New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v2.5

Changelog:
    AedanRaduziel
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    I may have found a bug with the kit. I have been using Xan for BG2 for a long time, and with "lvl1npc", xan has sometimes been a bladesinger, sometimes a kensai/mage, but most of the time a geomantic sorcerer. He never presented a problem, until the very end of TOB.

But this time, he is a chaos sorcerer. And when he's past level 12, no problem..... until I sleep. After rest, Xan makes the game lag, and clicking on it makes the game crash.
    I tried to remove all his equipment before I went to sleep. No better. I tried to remove all its local variables, not better. I tried to change his kit, not better........ I tried a lot of things until I found out what was wrong: it started not to crash as soon as I removed all its effects #42: spell, wizard spell slot modify.

These effects are added by the kit, so maybe there's a bug.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2019
    I have a side question about a7_auto_apply_spl_effect: how should I edit it so that I can split the string "%codes%" into multiple lines (for better readability)? For instance:
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "op=101,p2=210,dur=120;
    			op=267,p1=14043,dur=120;
    			op=267,p1=1280,dur=120;
    			op=321,tmg=1,res=SPWI205;
    			op=106,p1=1,p2=1,dur=120;
    			op=161,dur=120;
    			op=23,dur=120"

edited September 2019
    @deratiseur I can reproduce the issue with Xan. From what I can see it's caused by the Level1NPC mod, which incorrectly applies kit-specific effects to a character.

This isn't advisable in EE games, since kit effects and abilities are applied or removed dynamically by the engine when a character joins or leaves the party. As a result of this issue, kit effects are applied a second time when the character joins the party, which causes spell slots to overflow for the Chaos Sorcerer.

To fix it in your game, remove the second set of identical spell effects from the character with NI or EEKeeper. It should include three instances of opcode 42 and one instance of opcode 37.

@Luke93 The function is rather fragile when it comes to whitespace between definitions. If you want to make it slightly more robust, you could add an additional code line to the second parse block of the function:
    // parsing effect parameters
    SET effects = 0
    FOR (idx = 0; idx < entries; ++idx) BEGIN
      TEXT_SPRINT entry EVAL ~%entries_%idx%%~
      SET strlen = STRING_LENGTH ~%entry%~
      INNER_PATCH ~%entry%~ BEGIN
        REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~^[ %TAB%%WNL%]+~ ~~          // <-- add this line
        SET curOfs = 0
        WHILE (curOfs < strlen) BEGIN
          SET ofs = INDEX_BUFFER(~,~ curOfs)
          PATCH_IF (ofs < 0) BEGIN SET ofs = strlen END
          READ_ASCII curOfs param (ofs - curOfs)
          INNER_PATCH ~%param%~ BEGIN
            SET ofs2 = INDEX_BUFFER(~=~)
            PATCH_IF (ofs2 > 0) BEGIN
              READ_ASCII 0 v1 (ofs2)
              READ_ASCII (ofs2+1) v2 (BUFFER_LENGTH - ofs2 - 1)
              TEXT_SPRINT EVAL ~effects_%idx%_%v1%~ ~%v2%~
            END
          END
          SET curOfs = ofs + 1
        END
      END
    END
    SET effects = entries

Afterwards you can add space characters, tabs or line breaks after effect definitions (those terminated by semicolons).

Apart from this, you could also split definitions into multiple assignments:
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "op=101,p2=210,dur=120"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=267,p1=14043,dur=120"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=267,p1=1280,dur=120"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=321,tmg=1,res=SPWI205"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=106,p1=1,p2=1,dur=120"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=161,dur=120"
    OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT codes "%codes%;op=23,dur=120"

_Luke_
  • rumagentrumagent Member Posts: 4
    @argent77 This is excellent! Thank you so much for spending time and effort further improving an already great game!
    @argent77

I didn't check if this mod makes use of ADD_ITEM_EFFECT via A7_AUTO_APPLY_SPL_EFFECT, but in case it does, then pay attention because it's not working => the user variable %def_type% is simply read but never used...
    edited October 2019
    Luke93 wrote: »
    @argent77

I didn't check if this mod makes use of ADD_ITEM_EFFECT via A7_AUTO_APPLY_SPL_EFFECT, but in case it does, then pay attention because it's not working => the user variable %def_type% is simply read but never used...

Unless I'm missing something, the best thing to do is that of splitting your function into 5 different functions (or 3 since ADD_ITEM_EQEFFECT, ADD_SPELL_CFEFFECT and ADD_SPELL_EFFECT share the same parameters) so that you can properly manage all those variables that are not in common....
    I like very much this kit, but I find some of the "bonus" you get to be weird

1st level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    5th level: +1 bonus to Dexterity.
    6th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    8th level: +5% Magic Resistance.
    11th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    15th level: +1 bonus to Dexterity.
    16th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    16th level: +5% Magic Resistance.
    21st level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    24th level: +5% Magic Resistance.

Why would a chaos sorcerer get these bonus? Apart from you choosing to let them have them I mean :P
    I like very much this kit, but I find some of the "bonus" you get to be weird

1st level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    5th level: +1 bonus to Dexterity.
    6th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    8th level: +5% Magic Resistance.
    11th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    15th level: +1 bonus to Dexterity.
    16th level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    16th level: +5% Magic Resistance.
    21st level: +1 bonus to Saves vs. Spell.
    24th level: +5% Magic Resistance.

Why would a chaos sorcerer get these bonus? Apart from you choosing to let them have them I mean :P

Chaos Sorcerers have to be agile in body and mind to get out of the way when their spells go awry (which is the case most of the time at lower levels). For that reason they have to train their (mental) resistances and their agility. I think granting bonuses to saving throws, magic resistance and dexterity is a good way to express the outcome of that training.

It's also mentioned in the kit's description:
    ...The Elemental Chaos is a place of primeval entropy and discord, and not even the most seasoned practitioners can account for the inherent unpredictability of such forces. As a result chaos sorcerers have to rely on their agility and strong reflexes to slip out of the way of their own, often unpredictable, spells. Being exposed to this particular type of magic gradually increases the caster's resistance to all forms or magical energy...
    ArthasZaghoulMirandel
    Thanks. Will chaotic eruption ever be added ?
    Thanks. Will chaotic eruption ever be added ?

Chaotic Eruption is available as an HLA.
  • KnuckelsKnuckels Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    Hi,

I found an incompatibility with Chaos Sorcerer and SCS' component "Smarter Mages" (#6030) if installed aside of EET and SR.

@DavidW maybe, you can be concern about this issue.

Here the trace back i got while installing "Smarter Mages":
    Determining spells and script for KRUIN

No recorded level for spell WIZARD_ALARM
    Appending to files ...

Appending to files ...
    ERROR: cannot convert %WIZARD_ALARM_LEVEL% or %%WIZARD_ALARM_LEVEL%% to an integer
    ERROR: [KRUIN.CRE] -> [override/KRUIN.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

ERROR Installing [Smarter Mages], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 1196 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 6030.
    Uninstalled    1196 files for [STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2] component 6030.
    ERROR: Not_found
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.

[...]

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Smarter general AI

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Better calls for help

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Smarter Mages

After some digging, i've found that CS modify WIZARD_ALARM's id into spell.ids from 2124 to 2109.
    That why i report here instead of SCS topic... Sorry. :/

So, i perform some install tests:
    • BG2EE + CS + SCS -> ok
    • BG2EE + SR + SCS -> ok
    • BG2EE + SR + CS + SCS -> ok
    • BG2EE + EET + SR + CS -> ok
    • BG2EE + EET + CS + SCS -> ok
    • BG2EE + EET + SR + SCS -> ok
    • BG2EE + EET + SR + CS + SCS -> nope

Tested with:
    And here the WeiDU.log if you need it:
    ~EET/EET.TP2~ #0 #0 // EET core (resource importation): 1.0 RC12
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #0 // Spell Revisions: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #10 // Deva and Planetar Animations: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #30 // Mirror Image Fix: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #50 // Remove Disabled Spells from Spell Selection Screens: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #55 // Spell Deflection blocks AoE spells: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #65 // Revised Warrior HLAs: v4 Beta 16 (Revised V1.1.0)
    ~A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2~ #0 #0 // "Chaos Sorcerer" kit: 2.5
    ~A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2~ #0 #20 // Make "Wild Mage" kit unavailable for character creation: 2.5
    ~A7-CHAOSSORCERER/SETUP-A7-CHAOSSORCERER.TP2~ #0 #30 // Add "Primordial Artifacts": 2.5
    ~EET_END/EET_END.TP2~ #0 #0 // EET end (last mod in install order) -> Standard installation
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v32.7

Same bug has been reported here. Both also have EET, SR, CS and SCS installed.

Don't known if you determine this issue as a bug or incompatibility. You get the decision. :smile:
    Post edited by Knuckels on
    argent77
    I was able to reproduce this error.

Because SR rearranged spells the subsequent installation of CS moved the spell for NRD from slot 2124 to 2109. From what I can see SCS Init AI component then overwrites the new NRD spell slot by WIZARD_DIMENSION_JUMP without updating related spell resources. I can only guess the "Smarter Mages" component failed to install because of this inconsistency. A look into the stratagems folder revealed this block in spell_rev_ids.tpa, which apparently overwrites spell slots without double-checking:
      COPY_EXISTING "spell.ids" override
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "1306\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "1306 CLERIC_PROTECTION_FROM_FIRE_DEPRECATED"
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "1407\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "1407 CLERIC_PROTECTION_FROM_LIGHTNING_DEPRECATED"
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "2610\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "2610 WIZARD_MONSTER_SUMMONING_4_INACTIVE"
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "1702\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "1702 CLERIC_STALKER"
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "1716\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "1716 CLERIC_ANIMAL_SUMMONING_4"
         REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "2109\(%TAB%\| \)+.*$" "2109 WIZARD_DIMENSION_JUMP"

Calling @DavidW for advice.

It's difficult to say how (or where) to fix this issue. NRD is relocated to the aforementioned slot because SR installed a new spell at that slot without announcing it in spell.ids (probably for good reason). Afterwards SCS assumes SR's spell is valid and tries to fix it without double-checking.

The slot change of Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (WIZARD_ALARM) by CS is intentional to prevent the spell from being automatically added to Wild Mages by the game engine. Related spell resources and references are updated however, so it should be compatible with other mods unless they use hardcoded parts in their scripts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DTPandemoniumDTPandemonium Member Posts: 1
    I've been running this mod with wild mage additions, everything works correctly and loving it. I had a roller coaster of emotions when I found out I can use Rhialto's Chaos Conduit to turn into a spellshaper with sorcerer casting style with all the spells of chaos sorcerer still learned. However I realised that I still can't scribe scrolls even though my class was listed as spellshaper.

This was going to be a really cool level 20-ish unofficial dual class into spellshaper type of deal losing ranged weapons, ability to learn more HLAs, even more spell casts(-2,-3 casts on all levels than normal sorcerer), a ring slot and chaos sorc items for scroll scribing with sorcerer casting style and some spell weave abilities and other level up bonuses. It was so sad.

I don't know if you would be able to mod this in as a combo component with wild mage additions without breaking basic and chaos sorcerer scribing when you aren't ''dual class'' spellshaper but this would be epic.
    New version: Chaos Sorcerer Kit v2.6

Changelog:
    • Improved effects of HLA "Chaotic Eruption"
    • Added Project Infinity metadata
    • Fixed potential display issues with component names in WeiDU.log and Project Infinity
    FlashburnAedanAntonII
  • MyXanaduMyXanadu Member Posts: 25
    @argent77 I really like this mod, can i translate it in italian for italian players?
    @MyXanadu Thanks for the offer. Translations are always welcome. I'll contact you via pm for details.
    MyXanadu
  • mledmled Member Posts: 46
    Hi @argent77 I'm trying to use this mod. I tried mixing it with a multikit builder (m7multikit), it hasn't seen much maintenance recently but it seems to still work in most exepriments I did.
    There's one thing that doesn't really work though. I tried to build a fighter/entropist, and that's ok until I also have Chaos Sorceror installed. then the character just doesn't have acces to NRD anymore (not in the spell selection at char creation, not in the spell list of the character afterwards).
    Is it as designed?