Skip to content

SoD is severely underrated (Finally finished it)

This game deserves much better reviews than it got, in my opinion. I absolutely loved it. While BG2 will always be near perfection in my mind, and easily my favorite game of all time, SoD still was able to bring new things to the table, and most of writing / dialogue I thought was incredibly good. I had a harder time making dialogue choices in SoD than I think I have in any other RPG before. The game definitely had me believing that my choices really mattered, and I was completely immersed. I already want to go through the game again so I can experience the banter, dialogue, and quests with the NPCs I left behind.

I played through the game on insane difficulty, and I was very impressed with how difficult the last battle was on this setting. I think I ended up having three of my party members die before the battle was over... I'd like to tackle the game on LoB difficulty, but I'm thinking I will have to make a full custom party to even have a chance of being able to win.

I recorded my whole play-through and have been putting the videos on youtube, if for some weird reason anyone wants to waste time watching it :P. I mostly just put it up there for myself, though. (Haven't finished uploading all the videos yet)

StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovZaghoulGrond0ShinronaldospacejawsThacoBellZaxaresTaffy_the_DrowAbelGrimjackMVSkatanelminsterAerakar

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Andrew_the_Foley Did something happen to your old account?
  • ThacoBell wrote: »

I managed to lose the notebook that had the password. @JuliusBorisov offered to hook me up again but I'm not sure if it's doable or not--it was tied to a beamdog e-mail address I haven't had access to since I left the company, which is why I couldn't just ask for a password reset--I don't know if that matters or not. It would be nice to be able to refer to my history but it's not the end of the world if I can't.
    ThacoBellbob_vengAerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That's a shame.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's doable :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I managed to lose the notebook that had the password. @JuliusBorisov offered to hook me up again but I'm not sure if it's doable or not--it was tied to a beamdog e-mail address I haven't had access to since I left the company, which is why I couldn't just ask for a password reset--I don't know if that matters or not. It would be nice to be able to refer to my history but it's not the end of the world if I can't.

@Andrew_the_Foley just contact @JuliusBorisov (Julius.Borisov@beamdog.com) and he can help reset both your password and email preference to get your old account back.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77519/password-reset-info-and-recovering-your-account#latest
    OrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    He has contacted me. " @JuliusBorisov offered to hook me up again " - here he's saying that. We're working on that.
    Zaghoul
  • DukeGrDukeGr Member Posts: 43
    I agree, SoD was very good, you need to play it on hard difficulties to really appreciate it tho.
    Linkamus
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    That siege was worth the price of entry. Amazing piece of work, that. Avernus was pretty impressive as well, but seeing the armies go into the castle one by one was awesome.
    StummvonBordwehrZaghoulThacoBellAerakar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i am not a big fan of the huge crowds due to my laptop being a potato and those parts causing lag. it's due to them being part of the background as it never lags during the huge war battles.

i remember asking for a mod to reduce the crowd size but nothing ever came of it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The moments in Baldur's Gate , the defense of Boareskyr Bridge and the Siege itself are amazing and I congratulate BD for it. The npcs are different from either BG1 or BG2 but they have their charms as well. I love what they did to Safana and Neera's voice lines are funnier.

I would, however, polish a few voiced characters (specially the scottish dwarves, the female ogre and the old lady soldier) because their voice acting seems a bit lazy and cartoonish.

Also, I dislike the military camps because there seems to lack a bit of tension, everything that happens in these sunny military camps is boring.

That said, I would buy a new Infinity Engine game made by beamdog should they pursue their own D&D pc game.
  • Emardon_LareousEmardon_Lareous Member Posts: 60
    Overall the critiques seemed minor and I was happy that they put a decent amount of content in to fill the gap between 1&2. The challenging combats are good too.

I just love having another reason to try out all the mods out there now which flesh out the role playing side of the game. Holic75s 3ed mod is decent, if only I could use it for an EET install
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Oooooh thread resurrection!

Yes, SOD got a lot of unnecessary criticism - people were trying to compare it directly to BG2 which is frankly unfair: different eras and probably different budgets.

I really enjoyed it - it does what I wanted it to which was provide a reasonable bridge between the two original parts, while throwing in some interesting new features. The voice acting was really good and we got some fine plotlines and fun characters, not to mention some nice scenery. On this basis, would love to see another IE game made from scratch (hint, hint).

I wasn't impressed with TOTSC at all. TOB was enjoyable, but SOD is just as good.