Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden is appalled by what he has just seen. Sure he was sure the king did beat his son, but not to this extent. That thrashing was way beyond what could teach a lesson and would only make the son hate his father and probably end up doing exactly opposite.

"King Corak. We must find a way forward together and not let our disagreements turn into arguments. We're all in this together and only together can we find a solution. This is no time for emotions, this is a time for reason. And that goes for all of us. " Colden sweeps his eyes over the council looking at all them one by one.

"It's obvious heroism and courage can't beat the giants. Perhaps the orcs could have been stopped, but not the giants. We need ballista, catapults and whatever other constructed weapons of war we can muster to stop these towering enemies." He throws another glance at the prince, a look of encouragement, and nods a "get up" to him hoping something he tried to teach him is still in there; particularly controlling one's temperament.

"I'd wager we must fall back. On the way we spread the word to all farmers to gather all food and bring to Astorwind with haste, to the safety of the walls. It's why they are built. On the walls one of our soldier's can beat down ten attackers and we will remove the giant's biggest advantage, their height. On the walls we can perhaps bash their skulls in."

"let's leave the land empty, leave nothing for the orcs to eat or bring with them while the advance. Let them starve while we eat and drink behind the walls. Kill all animals, bring all food, leave nothing at all. Scorch the very earth if we have to. "
    mashedtatersThacoBellashafetovlolien
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Gressick nods approvingly at Colden. “It’s good to see someone in this council can see reason,” he says. “It is decided then, we leave the wounded. There is no way to accomplish what the good advisor says with them in tow.

“Their sacrifice will serve as an adequate distraction for the giants and orcs anyway. Our enemy’s well-known hunger human flesh and their penchant for torture and sadism may even give us an extra day or so. Captain Hogler, get ready the order...”

Kem stands up, his face infuriated. “Yeh cannot be serious!” he screams. “I gots frien’s out there, ya damned muddy, and I’ll not leave them ‘ahind! And ‘asides, I didn’a hear the good a’visor say as leave the wounded all here!”

Captain Hogler clears his throat. “Our numbers are down,” he says softly. “As you can see from my report, we have over 150 wounded, after suffering 200 causalities during the battle. It was a slaughter, as I’m sure we all know. We have only 200 able-bodied men left. It’s a 3 day march back to Astorwind, 4 maybe if we stop to gather food, rouse the countryside, and raze the farms. The giants are already faster than us, and we don’t have enough horses to bring everyone.”

Casak sits back up, his face blanched from terror of his father. He attempts to hide his suffering and blood as Hogler gives his report. King Corak hardly pays attention as Colden, Gressick, Kem, and Hogler speak, instead looking at his son with undisguised contempt for his perceived weakness.
    ThacoBellSkatanashafetovlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Lagrord takes a deep bow in apology for speaking out of turn*

"Master Cramnoch, what if a force stayed behind to slow the raiders' advance? Alerting the countryside will take time that we may not have."

Maybe we can save some of the wounded this way, they deserve it more than those who would abandom them. At the very least, we can save them from torture by the orcs.
    Skatanashafetovlolien
    edited December 2019
    This time, the council does indeed take notice. Gressick, Hogler, and Corak look at Lagrord as though surprised he actually knows how to speak. It’s not the kind of surprise that you would have for a baby saying his first word; their expressions are more reminiscent of one you would give if the mold on your bread decided to have a conversation about the philosophical implications of the Refiner’s existence.

“I’ll say, Master Cramnoch!” says the King, suddenly popping out of his contempt. “I didn’t know your pet could talk! Does it say anything else? I thought you had it’s tongue removed years ago!”

Gressick, who appeared the least surprised, responds to the spoken idea, watching the half-orc with new understanding. The expression in his face was not pleasant, however.

“So you would have the healthy members of our kind slaughtered needlessly?” he accuses. He looks at Colden. “Are you sure of your slave’s loyalties, good advisor?”

“Oy!” shouts Kem. “That lunk o’ Laggy may not have a bad idea! It’s better’n cowardice, I’ll say!”

The king’s face darkens. “You would reduce the fighting numbers at the castle on the word of an orc slave?”
    Hello good friends! I’m enjoying the story and I hope you are too!

I’d like to move this section of the story along. Tagging:

@Skatan @ashafetov @ThacoBell

The current decision path on the table is as thus:

Do you argue for or against leaving the wounded during the retreat? Or do you perhaps have another potential solution?

Lagrord has proposed a potential compromise possibility. Any of you can argue, including Nareth and Lagrord, though his arguments will be role-played very differently.
    SkatanThacoBellashafetovlolien
    edited December 2019
    Colden's contempt for the king is ever increasing. Must focus on the greater good.. but gods, sometimes he just want to cleave the King's head in half with his axe. His dwarven heritage can be hard to surpress sometimes. But as always, he swallows what he wants to say, put on a smile and smooth our his voice.

"Of course he speaks, he's been tutored by me has he not?"

Colden's heart and mind are battling against eachother, his empathy vs his rational side. Which will win? He doesn't even know himself, but in the end, rationality usually wins. It seems also today.

"200 men is nothing in the field, but 200 men on the walls is a lot more. Even one more left behind means we weaken ourselves significantly. My recommendation is that we hurry, but that we carry our wounded for as long as we can, post haste back to Astorwind. "Courage" in this situation is not to fight battles we cannot win, courage is to make the decisions that our predecessors will judge us for. The history books will condemn us, call us cowards for leaving the field, but we know it was the right call. There's no courage in dying for dying's sake; He who fights and runs away may live to fight another day; But he who is battle slain can never rise to fight again."

Colden gives a look at Laggie, a look of excuse.. he knows Laggie's heart is too big for this decision. He sometimes wish he was the same, the protegé of his' rather than the opposite, but in hard times one must take hard decisions.

"Ultimately, the decision is yours, my King. I have such spoken, and thus consider my input given." Colden bows ever so slightly.
    A cookie for the one who finds the quote and name the source without googling!
    ThacoBellmashedtatersashafetovlolien
    *Lagrord bows deeply to the king*

"Many apologies for the outburst, I happily accept whatever punishment Master Cramnoch deems suitable."

mashedtatersSkatanashafetovlolien
    edited December 2019
    The king looks at Lagrord with a significant measure of disgust, as though no longer enjoying a circus freak show. “Right, well, Colden, Captain Hogler can set up a whipping post for your pet. I’m sure some of the lower ranks could use the morale boost from seeing their enemy so soundly in submission.”

He rubs his beard, dismissing the orc from his mind completely and instantly as though scraping refuse from his boot. “Despite the good Kem’s ah... request... for democracy... before this campaign, we must remember that we have established the highest form of government here. As you all know, I am king... by birthright. I am indeed a merciful and just king, and that is why I have called all of you here... I wish to hear your thoughts... but my decision is final. Any who speaks against my word now shall face death. As you all know. I am sure I need not remind you.”

He looks hard at his son and Kem. His expression is particularly menacing.

“Therefore, my decision is as follows: we shall leave the wounded and charge them with providing a distraction. I will give them words of encouragement of their noble sacrifices they must make for king and country. May their deeds be remembered in glory of the Refiner, and whatnot. You know, words that stir the heart of the peasants to foolish notions of honor and glory. We don’t want master Kem’s ... friends... stirring up a rebellion as our enemy comes upon us. Remember, good halfling. A house divided against itself shall not stand.”
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    SkatanThacoBellashafetov
    edited December 2019
    Kem stands up, his face furious, pointing a finger at the king threateningly. “Ya canna’ does this, kingy!” he shouts.

“You are here at my whim, Kem,” growls the king threateningly. “Otherwise, you would have no voice here.”

“Well, I am here as now an’ I’m using my voice now, whether ya likes it or not, kingy! Ya canna’ leave my brothers in arms!”

As though dismissing a plaything he no longer has use for, the king flicks his hand. “General Gressick, please have Kem executed for insubordination and refusal to follow orders. It shall serve as a good reminder for the men to be united... or else.”

“NO, ya canna—!” But his cry is cut off sharply by General Gressick who strikes him squarely in the head with the pommel of his sword. He kneels down to tie Kem up.

“This meeting is adjourned,” says the king. “You all know what to do. We shall execute Kem at dawn, then I will give my little speech to the men, though it pains me to lose the time. Then we shall set out at first light...”
    edited December 2019
    Just then the tent flap flies open and a bloodied warrior, drenched from the storm, leans in. “Captain Hogler, we are under attack! Orcs on our northern flank!”

“Damn!” says Gressick. “Captain Hogler, rally the forces, now!” Hogler nods and rushes out with messenger, shouting orders to follow him to the front lines.

The king stands. “It seems we must make our choice now,” he says. “Casak, Gressick, Colden, we are leaving at this moment. Captain Nareth, ready my royal retinue guard and meet me on the south flank. Gressick, leave the halfling, there’s no time. Casak, rally what remaining forces that are not engaged with the enemy and meet me on the southern flank. Captain Hogler’s attack on the front lines will give us the time we need to make a hasty retreat, and confuse the enemy hopefully enough for us to escape.

“Go! Now! Colden, follow me, I shall need your wisdom in the days to come!”

He quickly rushes out of the tent with General Gressick, leaving you in the presence of the unconscious Kem and the miserable Prince Casak. He looks frozen, unsure what to do, like a boy, and his eyes are glued to the halfling at his feet.

As though afraid that the halfling might burn him, he kneels down and cuts his bonds and shakes him. Kem does not respond.

The prince looks up to you with confusion in his eyes. He appears to be in shock. The panicked screams of battle and death are already reaching your ears from the front line.

What do you do? You have each been given separate orders. Do you obey them or take a different course, one perhaps together?
    SkatanThacoBellashafetov
    Colden grabs Laggie by the arm and drags him along. "Come, it's time to leave. We must follow the King. Move behind me and be discreet, don't draw more attention to yourself. I thought I taught you better than that. You know these prejudice bastards would hesitate a second to sever your head from the rest of your body."

Colden choses to follow the King, as ordered. He does not intervene with any given order.
    Hey guys, and @mashedtaters, this story is epic, the writing stellar, but if we break up the group into sub-groups, it'll become staggering. Let's keep together, I am afraid things will die out unless we keep a momentum together.
    mashedtatersThacoBellashafetov
    edited December 2019
    @Skatan thanks for the feedback, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I am too, and I apologize for not being more active.
    I agree with you about splitting the party. You, @ThacoBell , and @ashafetov should role play how you will stick together. I assume that means you want to go with him to grab Jirt, Garta, and the royal guard first?
    I assume this means you’re going to leave the prince standing there in shock, alone in the tent with Kem?
    SkatanThacoBellashafetov
    *Lagrord pulls himself away from Colden*

"Wait, we can't leave Krem or the (slgiht beat) prince. Can you get him to move, he might actually listen to you. I'll carry Krem if I have to."
    Hm, keep the party together? ALright, I guess my plans can wait. By "plans" I of course mean making everything up by the seat of my pants.

mashedtatersashafetov
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    Silent all this time, Nareth looked at the King. Again, the Captain faced a difficult choice between two evils. He agreed with Lagrord, if necessary - he would personally drag the wounded, he would provide at least a small chance for them so that those who could walk could retreat beyond the walls of Astorwind as well.

But he did not dare to disobey the King. And yet, his people were on the front line. Jirt ... Garta, a newfound ally, priceless in combat... And wounded at the moment. He must gather them, or at least let them know what is happening at the headquarters, and Nareth would not forgive himself the lies and hiding the truth from his brothers-in-arms.

"I obey .. My King," he bowed his head briefly but respectfully. Of course, Colden and Lagrord need his help, and if they are in the immediate vicinity of the King, they can have a definite influence on his decisions. The king listens to Colden and this is an absolute advantage when this Gressik is absent.

Perhaps Nareth will be able to warn his soldiers and no one will interfere with him personally to assemble and equip the royal guard detachment. The question is, will Garta want this?
    mashedtatersThacoBellSkatan
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    Hey guys! I hope, you were having great holiday time and I ma glad to be back in this adventure, thanks for @mashedtaters. Just a small remark, Nareth wants to assign specific men to the royal retinue guard, speaking precisely, he wants to include Jirt and other trusted men he knows - there should be some among the soldiers here. Yup, and Garta as well. He wants to quickly meet them beforehand.
    mashedtatersThacoBellSkatan
    edited January 2020
    @ashafetov
    As Captain, you can definitely order Jirt and Garta to follow you when you find them. The royal guard are comprised of men you know will follow your orders, though I think considering the circumstances in this situation trust may be a fluid term. Though you aren’t the highest ranking guard, your status is significant and, considering how the king included you on the council, you would not be surprised if you get a significant promotion at the end of this campaign.
    @ThacoBell ’s character has a relationship with Kem, and both Colden and Lagrord are familiar with the prince. As soon as Casak and Kem are figured out by @Skatan and @ThacoBell , I will run through the sequence where your character gathers Jirt, Garta, and the royal guard...

or will I?

Muahahahah!
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatan
    @ashafetov
    I forgot to include that your character is familiar with the Prince (from a subservient point of view) so you can feel free to interject with him if you want.
    Only Lagrord is familiar with Kem on anything other than a recognition by sight basis.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatan
    *Lagrord heaves Kem over his shoulders*
    If Skatan can't get on in time, Laggy will attempt to bring the prince with them.
    mashedtatersashafetovSkatan
    Colden looks at Laggie bringing Kem, looks at the pitiful prince shakes his head and goes over their and drags the prince with them.
    ashafetovThacoBell
    You all rush towards the fighting where you know Jirt and Garta are, dragging the dazed, beaten, bloodied prince behind you like an obedient child. Kem is light on Lagrord’s shoulders now due to adrenaline.

You see the king, Gressick, and the royal retinue who had been guarding the council tent charging off into the woods, away from the fighting.

Nareth shouts to several of the royal guards on retainer who had been scattered about getting food and tending to the wounded. Due to the darkness and flickering fires, everything is surreal and removed, as though you are running through a nightmare where the enemies and foes are indistinguishable. Lagrord’s darkvision, however, ends up being a boon and he leads you unerringly to your tent where Garta and Jirt waiting impatiently for you.

“We waited for you before joining the battle,” says Jirt to Nareth as you explain your mission to follow the king. “I’m glad we did.”

You hear captain Hogler screaming a battle cry, lifting a sword and shield over his head and rallying the men around him. Then, through the shadows, you see one of the giants hurl an uprooted tree at him, crushing him into the oblivion of death. The line is getting overrun and the wounded are doomed.

Lagrord only sees one of the giants amidst the milking orcs, but you don’t have time to stick around. Running for your lives, you rush into the woods where the straggling royal guard, under Nareth’s previous orders, are waiting for you with horses. You mount and rush off to rendezvous with the king.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatan
    edited January 2020
    By this time, the prince has taken hold of his senses and regained his composure. Though he doesn’t speak a word, he seems to realize that the situation is hopeless. He pauses his mount to look back to his soldiers, his face flooded with many emotions: anger, vengeance, loss, grief, defeat, and of course his usual contempt. But he quickly pulls up Kem across his lap and charges off into the woods, following Nareth and Colden (who is mounted with Lagrord).

You approach the circle of men surrounding the king, a small pittance compared to the army you just abandoned.

The king looks at you with impatience. “Finally, Nareth, where in the Sun God’s name have you been—?!”

Just then, from out of the trees approaches the two remaining frost giants, their apparent leader in front. They are both carrying long tree trunks attached to their rope belts like swords. In each arm they wield giant boulders.

“Ahh, Corak, so nice to see you again,” says the leader frost giant, his yellow eyes narrowing and his bark-like teeth showing in a grin.

“Dizrym...” replies the King darkly.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatanlolien
    Dizrym... the name echoes through your subconscious familiarity, yet due to the intensity of the moment it takes a minute for you to fully recognize it.

Then it hits you. Dizrym is the name the Bloodeye clan had for the “spirit” to which they were sacrificing innocents Apparently, this “spirit” is flesh and blood in the form of a giant.

“Where are you going, Corak?” asks Dizrym, kneeling down. “There’s no where to run. Gressick, haven’t you learned to keep him under control?”

This complicated the matters more. Somehow Gressick knows him, too? Garta looks completely shocked that here father could have any familiarity with the monster.

“What do you want, Dizrym?” says Gressick. “Our business together ended a long time ago.”

“Come now, Gressick, is that any way to treat an old friend?” grins the giant.
    ThacoBellashafetovSkatanlolien
    Sorry I've been gone! Been in the hospital with ym son for the last week.
    mashedtatersashafetov
    “Our dealings together are long over, Dizrym,” says King Corak. “It’s has been many years...”

“And yet it seems that you two still have dealings with each other,” says the giant, standing up and grinning. “Many years indeed...”

Corak and Gressick exchange meaningful glances.

“Father, you know this... beast?” says Casak, leading his horse forward.

“Father!?” exclaims Dizrym. “Why this must be the whelp of that young village lass you took a fancy to all those years ago. Is she waiting anxiously for her return?”

Corak says nothing.

“Tell me what do you speak of, giant? Beast? I will slay you if I have to!” spits Casak at the giants feet. “This is the King of Astorwind whose honor you defame!”

The giant begins to laugh. “That’s a spirited one, there! Surely, he must be that village girl’s whelp! She was spirited as well! If I remember rightly, she put up quite a fight when we invaded your new kingdom. Before it was yours, that is. King indeed! You’re nothing but a petty warlord, an invader, just like me and the orcs.”

Corak’s and Casak’s faces turn a pale shade of grey, but for different reasons. Corak’s expression confirms the giants words, and Casak’s expression belies his disbelief.
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatanlolien
    “What do you want, Dizrym?” says the king softly.

“Want? I want a share of your cut!” he says. “You obviously got the best lands when we divvied them all up. I found myself a few new friends, but the other side of the mountains are barren. Desolate.”

“You wish a tribute?” asks Corak indignantly.

“Ha!” grins the giant. “Hardly. I want it. All of it. Astorwind. It’s mine now, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. I know your army’s strength. I know your army’s weaknesses. You have a spy in your castle, Corak, and it’s someone you don’t even suspect...” he grins evilly.

Do you interject? Do you take any action?
    ashafetovThacoBellSkatanlolien
    *Lagrord keeps an eye on the surroundings to wathc for any ambush.*
    Skatanashafetov
    Colden thought he knew everything about the king, he's a bit annoyed that apparently he didn't. His rational side shrugs and just accepts it though, new information to be processed, categorized and perhaps acted upon in the future. For now, he suppress any emotions and just coldly observe, listen and compute what he sees and hears.

He's surprised that when he and the others gave the king the full story of their adventures, including the name they got from the barbarians, the king hadn't given away a single movement, eye-twitch or anything when they gave him the name Dizrym. All good kings are good actors, playing different roles in different forums, but he's still a bit surprised the king was that good of an actor, keeping his cool and not at all giving away they had this background together.
    ThacoBellashafetovlolien
    @Skatan
    The King did react to your story... by not listening to a word of it at all.
    Gressick, however, did listen.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1109645/#Comment_1109645

"A traitor!?" scoffs the king. "Probably some lowlife new recruit, thinking to earn a favor with you? I shall have him hanged, once I deal with you. You have no claim to the castle I built. I built it, do you hear me? The pathetic mud dwellers who lived there when I discovered this majestic valley... they couldn't even farm. I built the farms, the castle, tilled the land. I did that, Dizrym. For the greater good."

"You did it?" laughs the giant, clutching his belly. "I suppose you can take credit, not that you lifted a finger. I saw you and your slave drivers, your callous disregard. You used up those slaves until there was hardly anything left of them. I'm surprised your bloodlust allowed you to keep some of them long enough alive to breed."

"At least I didn't squander the land that I claimed!" shouts the King, losing his temper. "You always were lazy and stupid. You probably sat on that land without once even trying to develope it. What, did you feast on your own slaves until they went extinct?"

The giant's joviality leaves his face for the first time. "It was a harsh winter," he says.

"Ha!" says the king. "And now you come crawling back to me. How do you expect to keep your appetite from desolating Astorwind, as well, hmm? I learned restraint! I learned law!"

"You're right, Corak," says the giant grimly. "I do need someone to help me rule your land."

"That's right, Dizrym, it's my land!" says the king, sounding like a spoiled child. "I will never allow you to rule. You need me, and you know it. Not only that, you've killed over half my army. Such a waste, do you not understand? Do you think the orcs will possibly be able to hold their thirst for blood long enough to last you a few years?"

"That's where you're wrong, Corak," says Dizrym. "I've already thought this through. I may be lazy, but I'm not stupid..." and he points behind him to where Lagrord just notices the shadow of an army moving in...
    From out of the shadows come the figure of a tall man leading warriors behind him. He wields a battleaxe and his eyes are bleeding...

"Aros!" growls Corak.

"Hello, again, Corak," says the Chief, a small retinue of apparently trusted guards coming up with him to join from the shadows.

You can see in the woods a large group of men, among whom are the remaining 3 delegates of the North, East, and South, watching from afar. Even from this distance, you can see they are shaking in their boots as they behold the might of Dizrym, their feared spirit.

"What in the blazes are you doing here!" spits Corak. "And what did you do to your eyes??"

"Oh this?" he says, wiping at his face. "Just a little parlor trick to keep the plebeians in check. It works like a charm, actually. Let's me do whatever I want to them, if you can imagine. The cattle will literally jump into a poison pool of noxious flames if I but... blink." He squishes his bloody eyes together, giving an audibly ugly sound.

"As far as what I'm doing here... well, I've grown sick of the wargames between our two peoples. It's been a fun distraction, watching their little lives waste away and die for supposed notions of 'honor' and 'glory' in war for the spirits and all that nonsense. None of them realize it's all just a hoax for me to get off on, except of course my trusted retinue here. But I've grown sick of the game. So when Dizrym here approached me, I decided to accept his invitation. That castle of yours looks quite cozy. Your people are relatively untouched. Considering your former lust for blood, I'm surprised."

"That's enough!" spits Corak. "I'll die for my lands! Gressick, Casak, Nareth, draw arms!"
    edited January 2020
    Nareth and Casak draw arms, and so does the royal guard and Gressick's retinue of personally selected guardsman. Dizrym and Aros do nothing, waiting.

Then King Corak bucks his horse and takes off, fleeing for his life rather than staying to fight with you. Before he can make it a single step, however, Gressick knocks him from his horse him a well-placed shove. The king falls to his face with a large plop.

Gressick jumps down and pulls the king's face up by his hair from the dust. "How does it feel to be defeated, to be brought into the dust, to eat dirt!" he snarls. "I lost my entire clan because you refused to help in my time of need. My wife, my two other children. Only Garta and I made it out alive. Would a few bushels of food really have been too much to ask, Corak? You saved a few bushels then only to lose everything now. We were brothers, all of us, a long time ago."

"Father, what are you doing??" screams Garta.

"Stay out of this, Garta, you must trust me as you always have," says Gressick calmly.

Casak turns his sword on Gressick, but the general’s personal bodyguard, which outnumbers all of you, step in the way. "Put your swords down, all of you," says Gressick. "We will accept nothing other than your unconditional surrender... or death." He shoves the king's face back into the dirt and steps on his head. Corak groans miserably.
    I will continue this story later and give you all time to interject. Feel free to either act or continue to read, but I have to go at this moment.
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
    *Lagrord steps protectively towards Colden while addressing Gressick*

"Sir Gressick, my loyalty lies to Master Colden. Please allow me to keep my sword, only to protect him, and I swear that as long as he is safe, you will have no trouble from me."

mashedtatersashafetov