Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Stop acting like being a moron is some kind of 'American' trait. It took me literally 30 seconds to find this article.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/22/coronavirus-rebels-france/

I could probably find hundreds more articles about people being jackasses in literally every country on the globe. Maybe not China since they have tight controls on 'news' there...

It's not unique to America to be sure. But there's a strong stubborn streak here. Of all the traits of being American, it's a big one.
    ProontThacoBell
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @jjstraka34 said I only chose it because of the Lefty Frizzell song.

Dang I thought it was because of the line from the Simon & Garfunkel song "America" - "It took me 4 days to hitch-hike from Saginaw".

TR
    jjstraka34Balrog99
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    I think we might be trying to challenge US for being the most rebellious country... Just today two more people on quarantine in my city just escaped. One did it twice, first from home and then from hospital, and now actually has a criminal case opened against him >:)
    Balrog99MaleficentOne
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    US is at 1,991 deaths, and three were recorded in the last 30-60 minutes or so? We're going to hit 2,000 fairly shortly.

Things continue to ramp up.
    ThacoBell
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Ardanis wrote: »
    I think we might be trying to challenge US for being the most rebellious country... Just today two more people on quarantine in my city just escaped. One did it twice, first from home and then from hospital, and now actually has a criminal case opened against him >:)
    Greenland does it right: Anyone, infected or not, wants to stay inside anyway due to an average daily temperatures of -15°C and down. Now that I think of it, Antarctica is pretty much the only remaining landmass without the virus on Earth. Lucky pengiuns.
    ProontBalrog99ThacoBell
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2020
    Greenland does it right: Anyone, infected or not, wants to stay inside anyway due to an average daily temperatures of -15°C and down. Now that I think of it, Antarctica is pretty much the only remaining landmass without the virus on Earth. Lucky pengiuns.

Until the glaciers all melt and release something that is aeons old......that is not dead which can eternal lie:

https://secretsoftheice.com/news/2017/03/09/virus-microbes-ice/
    Balrog99ProontThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Until the glaciers all melt and release something that is aeons old......that is not dead which can eternal lie:

https://secretsoftheice.com/news/2017/03/09/virus-microbes-ice/

Now we have to kill you. Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
    ProontZaxares
    Arvin Ash has some numbers that do not look promising.

Grond0
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Wow, another authoritarian government possibly lying about the coronavirus. Who would've thought?

https://time.com/5811222/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll/
    Possibly? The better question is who thought China was telling the truth to begin with? The size of their population, plus the fact they lock up anyone saying otherwise to what the government has been saying and barring people in their own homes... yea there is no way in heck their numbers are as low as they claim.

ProontBalrog99Kamigoroshi
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @smeagolheart; Dear, you know little of just how stubborn we Americans can be. One of my co-workers actually said " coronavirus is not deadly". This wasn't some weeks ago when information was still sketchy, it was three days ago. He is a Trumpophile, so...yeah. Most of us(Americans) are actually level headed, reasonable people. Some just wanna keep things the way they've always been, for better or worse.
    smeagolheartProont
    Makes one wonder how different things could have been if Vermin Love Supreme was president, not Trump. No doubt the virus would still have hit America. But at least everyone would have got a pony at home to care for.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Emotional support ponies, of course.
    BallpointMan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2020
    We need to cheer up :)
    Please enjoy the suggestions from a super Italian granny ("nonna") to go through the quarantine (the video has English subs):

KamigoroshiProontJuliusBorisov
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/digital/news/no-more-coronavirus-masks-from-us-huawei-says/
    1) Huawei sends planes worth of masks to Europe
    2) EU's official calls is it an act of generosity politics
    3) Huawei apologizes and says it'll stop being political
    4) ???????
    5) FACEPALM
    shabadoo wrote: »
    One of my co-workers actually said " coronavirus is not deadly". This wasn't some weeks ago when information was still sketchy, it was three days ago.
    It's more contagious than deadly. I'd suspect there's an order of magnitude more infected/carriers than officially confirmed cases, so the death rate is looking pretty mild.
    ‘We’re supposed to be a first-world country’: Doctor leaks video from packed ward of New York hospital amid coronavirus surge

Deaths and new cases in Washington appear to be slowing down, but to be sure I'd wait another week.

One thing someone pointed out is that deaths seem to mirror new cases from two weeks prior.
    edited March 2020
    It's more contagious than deadly. I'd suspect there's an order of magnitude more infected/carriers than officially confirmed cases, so the death rate is looking pretty mild.

The combination of just how contagious it is with the number of people it's killing in real life rather than thought experiments shows that it is both, and that the former feeds into the latter at an alarming rate. Asymptomatic carriers is not a good thing for people who are likely to die from it, as it increases the spread.

I'd also say asymptomatic carriers couldn't be said to have covid-19, even if they're spreading SARS-CoV-2.

ArdanisProontThacoBell
    Dr. Mike interviews Dr. Fauci.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited March 2020
    So I'm going to be calling a clinic tomorrow, o would rather go in directly but I'll avoid doing that to be careful. I'm hoping these last two days of coughing, headaches, dizziness, weakness in my legs, and stinging in my chest is something else.

In other words...

China!
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/chinese-backed-company-s-mission-to-source-australian-medical-supplies-20200325-p54du8.html

Yea, trust China, China has been lying since day one.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8160931/Spain-returns-faulty-coronavirus-testing-kits-bought-Chinese-company.html
    JuliusBorisov

Charming...
    Ludwig_IIBalrog99
    Italy : " in the past few days, people have started organizing raids of supermarkets in closed groups on social media " -- coming to a city near you.

People have been locked down and many don't qualify for payouts so no money and no food have made folks desperate in Italy (southern Italy especially it seems).

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    When reading stories about Covid 19 in UK newspapers please bear in mind the following differences:

"The Guardian" - bastion of the left wing.
    "The Telegraph" - bastion of the right wing.
    "The Daily Mail" - a sensationalist version of The Telegraph.
    "The Independent" - pretty much does what it says on the tin.
    "The Sun" - useful when you run out of toilet paper.
    ArdanisProont
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    You missed
    "The Daily Mirror" - Working Class bastion of the left wing

TR
    dunbar
    New SARS-CoV-2 test procedure developed
    Researchers from the German Red Cross and Virology at Frankfurt University Hospital have jointly developed a new test method for the corona virus. With a special solution, several samples can be tested at the same time in the laboratories - said samples have to be retested individually only if their results are positive. "This will make it possible for scientists and politicians to expand the testing to other population groups earlier than previously thought, even with limited test kit resources," said Erhard Seifried of the German Red Cross blood donation service. With the new method, the current number of 40,000 tests per day in Germany can be increased between 200,000 up to 400,000 examinations.
    Some interesting development over here. Here's hoping it will also work in practice.
    Balrog99Proont
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    An interesting article here about using dogs to test for Covid-19. It notes they can already be trained to detect other diseases, including Parkinson's. Training them to do that was prompted by one woman who became aware she could detect the smell of Parkinson's, even before any symptoms were present - see this story. One avenue of research for testing for disease in future is to use machines to detect volatile compounds, rather than relying on natural senses of smell.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I heard something about people who have been diagnosed and recovered being asked to donate plasma, but I'm not sure what the implications of this are...........
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I heard something about people who have been diagnosed and recovered being asked to donate plasma, but I'm not sure what the implications of this are...........

It's only useful supposedly in a one-to-one swap. So one person can possibly help one person's immune system of one other person.

Presumably the rich will be able to get protection while the rest of us are left out in the lurch.
    Balrog99ProontZaxares
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Plasma can be transfused directly to provide antibodies to someone with Covid-19 - effectively kick-starting their immune system. It provides a potential alternative to vaccination. If such treatment proves effective and it is hard to get a vaccine, then it's likely that plasma would be further treated to isolate the antibodies to make the process of transporting and using them easier (and at that stage it's possible it would be used more as a preventive measure than a cure). See this article for some details about what's already happening in the US.

They should be isolating the anti-bodies anyway so they can test for them. They'd be able to identify who has already had the disease then. Seems like that could be useful too.
    Grond0