Skip to content

The Weather Thread.

12346»

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    So cold.... Georgia isn't suppose to be cold!

Floods, we got this
    Tornadoes, wegot this
    1-2 inches or snow... Stores shut down, and people get out of their cars to start walking
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its always adorable to see places that don't get snow, react to getting snow.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Granted, 1-2 inches of snow is dangerous driving conditions especially if people aren’t accustomed to it and do not have proper tires.

Also these places don’t have plows or salt trucks making it even worse, especially if the temperature drops below freezing. Then you have black ice which is extremely dangerous.

However, if it’s snowing, it isn’t cold out. It’s only at most -2 Celsius (28 Fahrenheit). That’s light jacket weather.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    deltago wrote: »
    Granted, 1-2 inches of snow is dangerous driving conditions especially if people aren’t accustomed to it and do not have proper tires.

Also these places don’t have plows or salt trucks making it even worse, especially if the temperature drops below freezing. Then you have black ice which is extremely dangerous.

However, if it’s snowing, it isn’t cold out. It’s only at most -2 Celsius (28 Fahrenheit). That’s light jacket weather.

light jacket weather? thats still barbeque season good buddy :)

when it hit -18 C here i was still wearing shorts outside doing my daily errands hahaha ( but then again i dont remember the last time i wore pants hmm... )
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    kzpfiq27obel.png
    ThacoBell wrote: »

@ThacoBell know what's also adorable? When people not from Georgia come to Georgia during the rainy season.
    DragonKing wrote: »

@ThacoBell know what's also adorable? When people not from Georgia come to Georgia during the rainy season.

Oh man, yes. I live in Kansas, where we get everyone else's crappy weather. Floods? check. BLizzards? Freezing rain? check. 120+degree weather (F)? check. About the only thing that we don't get is hurricanes and the like.

On a funny side note. It got so cold yesterday that my laundry FROZE IN THE DRYER. We miiiiiiiiiight need to get it looked at.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Oh man, yes. I live in Kansas, where we get everyone else's crappy weather. Floods? check. BLizzards? Freezing rain? check. 120+degree weather (F)? check. About the only thing that we don't get is hurricanes and the like.

On a funny side note. It got so cold yesterday that my laundry FROZE IN THE DRYER. We miiiiiiiiiight need to get it looked at.

You might not get hurricanes but that's more than made up for by the tornados!

that happened to us a couple of weeks ago when we had our cold snap, i think its because dryers are usually directly connected to the outside ( to prevent fires perhaps? )
    Balrog99 wrote: »

You might not get hurricanes but that's more than made up for by the tornados!

Are you sure he's still in Kansas?

:wink:
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    The weather is damp, stiflingly warm, and with no winds. I need a nice cool rain.
    @Rik_Kirtaniya Oh man! When did you come to Kansas?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    zzeceopex8sm.jpg

8°C and a permanent overcast with drizzle. Anyone wondering why I really don't feel like continuing PoE with its grim atmosphere right now and appreciate (among other things) the humor in DOS instead?
    Arvia wrote: »
    zzeceopex8sm.jpg

8°C and a permanent overcast with drizzle. Anyone wondering why I really don't feel like continuing PoE with its grim atmosphere right now and appreciate (among other things) the humor in DOS instead?

Looks like Michigan from about late October through late April!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Posting from Seattle. Today (Sunday, June 27) set an all-time record for hottest temperature at this location. And it's forecast to be a bit hotter tomorrow, before cooling down to a range that's merely hotter than average over the next couple of days.

That record high temperature is only 104º F (40º C), and not terribly humid (dew point around 65º F/18º C). But most places around here don't have air conditioning, because you don't need it when it isn't that hot. That includes my apartment. It's probably not the hottest day I've lived through, but it's definitely the worst I've experienced because of that lack of AC.

Around that high point this afternoon, what was I doing? Sitting in my apartment, wearing nothing but socks and underwear, sweating all over, reading a book. Use the computer? No, not more than an hour or so at a time. It'll overheat if I run it too long. Go outside? Then I'd have to put on clothes over all that sweat. It might be a bit cooler in the shade, but not enough to actually help.

Right now, it's after dark and things have cooled down, so I can sit out by the library and go online. Still sweaty, but not too bad.

Anyone else in the region, suffering through this heat?
    jmerry wrote: »
    Posting from Seattle. Today (Sunday, June 27) set an all-time record for hottest temperature at this location. And it's forecast to be a bit hotter tomorrow, before cooling down to a range that's merely hotter than average over the next couple of days.

That record high temperature is only 104º F (40º C), and not terribly humid (dew point around 65º F/18º C). But most places around here don't have air conditioning, because you don't need it when it isn't that hot. That includes my apartment. It's probably not the hottest day I've lived through, but it's definitely the worst I've experienced because of that lack of AC.

Around that high point this afternoon, what was I doing? Sitting in my apartment, wearing nothing but socks and underwear, sweating all over, reading a book. Use the computer? No, not more than an hour or so at a time. It'll overheat if I run it too long. Go outside? Then I'd have to put on clothes over all that sweat. It might be a bit cooler in the shade, but not enough to actually help.

Right now, it's after dark and things have cooled down, so I can sit out by the library and go online. Still sweaty, but not too bad.

Anyone else in the region, suffering through this heat?

Yikes! I thought it was hot here in Tennessee yesterday and it was only 85°F (albeit pretty muggy)...
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2021
    I'm not meteorologist or climate scientist, but I am reasonably certain that extended days of 110 degree temperatures in the Pacific Northwest are not a normal event. Frankly, neither was the 3 days of 98-102 degrees we had in the Midwest in early-June. You MIGHT get days like that occasionally halfway through July into August most years, but to see relentless heat for nearly a week straight when barely out of May was.....concerning, to say the least. You'll likely be able to add the Florida apartment collapse to the list of weather (or I should say, climate) based disasters once all the facts come out. Bottom-line is, I wouldn't envy the world your grandchildren are going to inherit, if you have any.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited June 2021
    Well, yes. Literal "hottest day ever" records make it obvious that this isn't normal.

I'm past the worst of it where I am - current conditions for the nearest weather station listed as N/AºF or 36ºC, with an obviously fictitious wind chill of -9ºF (-23ºC). It seems like missing data can screw that system up, even if it isn't really missing. The sun doesn't set until around 9 PM this time of year, but it's low enough in the sky that we're definitely cooling. And tomorrow is forecast to be cooler than today or yesterday, with a big drop Wednesday.

As is typical for the west coast, it was a dry heat. And that means that sweat evaporating actually does keep you sufficiently cool, as long as you drink plenty of water to replenish.

The book I read today, mixed between indoor and outdoor time: 50 Degrees Below, by Kim Stanley Robinson. A near-future speculative fiction novel about disasters caused by climate change and human attempts to repair things (second in a series), with the centerpiece being a winter cold snap triggered by the Gulf Stream stalling.
    I picked it up a few years ago, used. Never bothered reading it until now. It seemed appropriate.
    ah good ol' "heat dome" we are experiencing here up in Canada in the province of Bristish Columbia, we are having the zaniest and hottest weather I have ever experienced here, usually where I live in Canada in the summer we will get highs around 37/38 C which i think is just a hair under 100 F

but recently, holy smokes ( almost literally ) its been hitting 45+ C here, hell in the backyard in the shade it would hit 44 or 45 C, in the past at most it would hit around 40 C, but even that would be rare

thankfully by next week its going to cool down to mid 35+ C lol...
    here is the backyard an hour ago
    48jxo31xg0a5.jpg
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2021
    Edmonton is supposed to have a high of 37 today. I remember visiting there in August, 2016 and I don't think it exceeded 20 degrees when I was there.

Meanwhile in Toronto (obviously much further south) our high today is 26.