Skip to content

The Road to 2.6 | Can you access saved games in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 2.6 Steam Beta?

srdbeamdogsrdbeamdog Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15
edited July 2020 in The Road to 2.6
The 2.6 Beta includes changes that could affect player saves. We want to make sure your saved adventures are safe before going any further. For now we're specifically looking for Windows testers, as we're still ironing out some launch issues in macOS and Linux.
  1. The Road to 2.6 | Can you access saved games in the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 2.6 Steam Beta?56 votes
    1. I can load existing save games and create new save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6 Steam Beta on Windows.
      57.14%
    2. I had issues with loading and/or creating saves. (please explain).
        3.57%
    3. I am not a Steam customer or unable to help test at this time.
      39.29%
JuliusBorisovhook71anastiel

Comments

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    still not sure: do you want us to have the SOD dlc installed or not installed when testing? or does it not matter?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I can load and save games with or without SoD installed.
    JuliusBorisov
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Loading and saving games (single player) works fine, all campaigns. Loading saves from older game versions works as well.
    JuliusBorisov
  • skyez0rausskyez0raus Member Posts: 1
    Hello, newly created account on the forum and first comment.

Can load old saves from before patching to beta, and could create new saves and load the new saves in beta without any issues.

Windows 8.1, if that helps for anything?

Okay, love you, bye. ♥
    JuliusBorisovMERLANCE
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2020
    No problems creating new saves and loading both new and old saves.

Using Windows 10 Home build 2004
    JuliusBorisov
  • Romeo_RedRomeo_Red Member Posts: 14
    Yes
    JuliusBorisov
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    After I first installed the game and made it out of Candle keep, I loaded the chapter 1 save and it crashed. I couldn't get it to happen again though. I've tested 4 different save slots multiple times without issue since then.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    I can load existing save games and create new save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6 Steam Beta on Windows, and a cursory glance shows they seem to work. However, the area and portrait previews aren't created.
    fuwfsa3rpiuq.png
    The save folder contains only the GAM and SAV files.

When you say
    srdbeamdog wrote: »
    The 2.6 Beta includes changes that could affect player saves. We want to make sure your saved adventures are safe before going any further.
    Do you mean for us to load an old save and see if we can "continue playing" in a general sense, or are you interested in us loading a save, saving it again, and comparing the uncompressed SAV and GAM files byte for byte to make sure nothing unintended has changed?

Also, pressing the "prt sc" (print screen) key doesn't create a screenshot in the <.\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ScrnShot> folder as expected.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I can load old saves, create new ones, and load these without notable problems.
    Windows 8.1, for both plain BG:EE and a new BG game in SoD.
    For plain BG:EE, I had pictures in the savegame menue.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jaypeejaypee Member Posts: 47
    No problems loading and creating saves in the 2.6 beta on win10
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    On Windows 7 with SoD installed, I can save and load without issue.
    JuliusBorisov
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    here everything worked well in windows 10 PRO
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    still not sure: do you want us to have the SOD dlc installed or not installed when testing? or does it not matter?

No preference. Once we get to the stage where we're testing bug fixes, knowing whether it's BG:EE+SoD or BG:EE only will be important, though.
    jasteyProont
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    Hi

I had issues with loading and/or creating saves. (please explain).

I have similiar like Sam_ and I can't use quick saves too. Here video

Battle for Hamburg! Will Przebor The Scarred survive the siege? Find out
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Voted for the "I can access saves" option but there was a very small issue.

I had BGEE uninstalled, with no folder with existing saves.
    I switched to the beta program and started the game, activated the steam cloud option (restarted the game a couple times just to be sure) but could not see my saves.
    Reverted back to regular branch, started the game, could instantly see my 2 SoD saves.
    Switched one last time to the beta and my 2 saves were there.

No issues with creating a new save.
    loaded old pre-sarevok-battle save - works
    - no perceivable problems (no crash, no slow loading, things look in place, spell effects are still there, ...)
    - it was an old save that had SCS installed and two custom NPCs, both not present anymore in the 2.60.0 beta; still no problems

saved that game again and re-loaded - works

create a new char in candlekeep, saved and re-load - works

Windows 10 64bit 2004
    BG:EE with SOD, 2.6.0 from steam, Language set to German

No preference. Once we get to the stage where we're testing bug fixes, knowing whether it's BG:EE+SoD or BG:EE only will be important, though.

okay, so i'm going with SOD for now.

just to say: i can't create a character in BG:EE without SOD when language is set to german. it crashes randomly between step 1 and 3 of the process. it works if language is set to english, and it works with both languages when SOD is active. @jastey can confirm this.

also, today i noticed i can't switch characters with shortkeys 1-6 (SOD, German, didn't test anything else). Re-assigning the shortcuts does not help.
  • srdbeamdogsrdbeamdog Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15
    Sam_ wrote: »
    I can load existing save games and create new save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6 Steam Beta on Windows, and a cursory glance shows they seem to work. However, the area and portrait previews aren't created.
    fuwfsa3rpiuq.png
    The save folder contains only the GAM and SAV files.

When you say
    srdbeamdog wrote: »
    The 2.6 Beta includes changes that could affect player saves. We want to make sure your saved adventures are safe before going any further.
    Do you mean for us to load an old save and see if we can "continue playing" in a general sense, or are you interested in us loading a save, saving it again, and comparing the uncompressed SAV and GAM files byte for byte to make sure nothing unintended has changed?

Also, pressing the "prt sc" (print screen) key doesn't create a screenshot in the <.\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ScrnShot> folder as expected.

Hey there!
    No need to test the saves byte for byte. We're interested in more of a general check to see whether previous saves remain, and new saves are created correctly, after downloading the 2.6 beta.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2020
    @Hafir , @Sam_ and all others who encounter issues with quick saves (and possibly other issues with save games) - can you please create tickets at https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals so that the problem could be tracked. Thanks for your screenshots and videos-- but a formal ticket is required. Please attach a zip folder of your save(s) to the ticket.
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    @JuliusBorisov
    In the process of filling out the bug report, I tried reproducing the bugs but was unable to reproduce either the missing area/portrait previews or the missing screenshots. Do I still file the bug reports?
    If you can't repro the issue, it would be difficult for us to understand what is happening.
  • bloodparticlebloodparticle Member Posts: 2
    PC INFO
    -
    Nome do SO: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Versão: 10.0.19041 Compilação 19041
    Tipo do sistema: x64-based PC
    Processador: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Núcleo(s), 8 Processador(es) Lógico(s)
    Memória Física (RAM) Instalada: 32,0 GB
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
    -

I can load old saves and create new ones, i can load any without problems.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I do not have any pre-2.6 save games available, but I can load autosaves, manually save, load manual saves, quicksave and quickload just fine.
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    I can save and load without issue.
    Windows 7 64bit
    BG:EE without SoD
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    No problems for me. Win10 user on Steam.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    able to load new saves and old saves with no issue

although it looks like new saves have a black box for the "save picture"

just like Sam_ has shown up above

plus some of the hot keys aren't working ( like pressing 1,2,3,4,5,6 won't select that corresponding character in the group )
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I can load old save games and create new one on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Computer: iMac (2019, Retina 5K, 27", Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

BTW, someone should tell Steam that the BG2 and BG1-SOD binaries are indeed 64 bit binaries. The MacOS 64 bit warning is somewhat ... misleading.
    Thanks, everyone. We're moving to the next poll.
    SCARY_WIZARD
This discussion has been closed.