Skip to content

Introducing the NWN:EE Development branch

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @VivienneL said
    How about making the game downloadable from the web and forgoing the client altogether?
    That is what you can do with GOG if you forego their launcher. Of course that means you have to watch out for patches yourself. Being able to get the patches (and know the size of the patch) with just a click is a plus for me. It passes just enough control to me as to when I get it without trying to update games I don't currently have installed.

To put it simply I like the installer/launcher that is the BD client.

TR
    VivienneL
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    @VivienneL said
    How about making the game downloadable from the web and forgoing the client altogether?

That is what you can do with GOG if you forego their launcher. Of course that means you have to watch out for patches yourself. Being able to get the patches (and know the size of the patch) with just a click is a plus for me. It passes just enough control to me as to when I get it without trying to update games I don't currently have installed.

To put it simply I like the installer/launcher that is the BD client.

TR

Gog is what came into my mind too. Their client is not very usable in Linux but I can manually download what I've paid for.
    I was using the BD client happily until it started misbehaving, first when DLC was put into its own folders and now it's completely unusable for me on Ubuntu 20.04. I'm persistent in trying to find a workaround though. Steam downloads are working at least.
    edited July 2020
    Maybe some linux guru can help me figure out an error that has appeared since updating wine to development version: wine 5.12. The Diamond version is working as are other games
    Just to be clear, Neverwinter Nights is working perfectly in Linux itself and in an earlier version of wine. This is the error:

~/Beamdog Library/00785/bin/win32$ wine nwmain.exe
    00c0:fixme:kernelbase:AppPolicyGetThreadInitializationType FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFA, 00000000014DFE40
    Registering crash signal handlers.
    00b8:fixme:win:RegisterTouchWindow (0x2004e 00000003): stub
    00b8:fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList
    00b8:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (000000000002004E, 00000000015C5EB0): stub
    00b8:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgr_ActivateEx Unimplemented flags 0x4
    00b8:fixme:imm:ImeSetCompositionString PROBLEM: This only sets the wine level string
    00b8:fixme:imm:ImeSetCompositionString Reading string unimplemented
    00b8:fixme:imm:NotifyIME NI_CLOSECANDIDATE
    00e4:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (00000000023DFE40 0000000000000000): stub
    00f4:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
    00f4:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0000000000000160, 00000000026FF650, 0, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 0000000000000000, 32) semi-stub
    00b8:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
    00b8:fixme:file:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 900a8 (device=9 access=0 func=2a method=0)
    00b8:fixme:file:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 900a8 (device=9 access=0 func=2a method=0)

Please go to https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/ and report this crash to the Neverwinter Nights bug reporter.

I'm trying to report the crash at the site above too, but I think this crash has to do with something having changed in wine.

There might be a simple fix for this which I haven't figured out. I installed 'winbind' but that didn't fix the issue.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @VivienneL Unfortunately, we can't help with the Wine stuff on Linux, that's not officially unsupported, sorry.
    @VivienneL Unfortunately, we can't help with the Wine stuff on Linux, that's not officially unsupported, sorry.

I understand. Thought I'd comment here just in case somebody has some input.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    Wow...
    JuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited August 2020
    BTW for me the download runs at about 60% of normal speed. My guess is that there's a lot of people currently downloading it.

[edit]
    It is now at 1/12 normal speed. Sheesh.

[edit 2]
    Oh the irony. It got to 1.69 gb to go and the speed is less that 100 kb per second...

[edit 3]
    Finally, after over an hour it is downloaded.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Old_Gith wrote: »
    This is truly an Epic Update. My hats off to you at Beamdog, thank you!. Any chance we can get a cheat sheet for the new 2da entries? It's a real bugbear tracking them all down.

We'd want more specifics (exactly which 2da/2da's for starters).
    BTW for me the download runs at about 60% of normal speed. My guess is that there's a lot of people currently downloading it.

[edit]
    It is now at 1/12 normal speed. Sheesh.

[edit 2]
    Oh the irony. It got to 1.69 gb to go and the speed is less that 100 kb per second...

[edit 3]
    Finally, after over an hour it is downloaded.

TR

Downloads seem to have stabilized now.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    appearance.2da
    placeables.2da

Just the new lines.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Proleric wrote: »
    appearance.2da
    placeables.2da

Just the new lines.

Yes, in addition to those I would add the following:
    1. Since there's 42 new music tracks I would add ambientmusic.2da
    2. Also would add doortypes and genericdoors.2da's since there are new tilesets
    3. With 54 new loadscreens we'll need the loadscreens.2da
    4. Also add soundset.2da for the new soundsets
    5. And then maybe what the new shield slot numbers are for those new shield appearances
      VivienneLJuliusBorisov
    6. VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
      edited August 2020
      In linux a new error has popped up for 8193.14
      "error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.6.1"
      Poking around the files I discovered "libsndio7.0" is installed. 8193.13 was working fine.

Also the new game options menu (the sub menu) is tiny on a 4k screen; it doesn't scale
      JuliusBorisov
    7. Swbf2lordSwbf2lord Member Posts: 10
      The latest build (8193.14) still seems to have the performance degradation issue that's been present on the macOS client in the stable build. Maybe something to look into?
      JuliusBorisov
    8. JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
      appearance.2da
      placeables.2da

Just the new lines.
      Old_Gith wrote: »
      appearance.2da
      placeables.2da

Just the new lines.

Yes, in addition to those I would add the following:
      1. Since there's 42 new music tracks I would add ambientmusic.2da
      2. Also would add doortypes and genericdoors.2da's since there are new tilesets
      3. With 54 new loadscreens we'll need the loadscreens.2da
      4. Also add soundset.2da for the new soundsets
      5. And then maybe what the new shield slot numbers are for those new shield appearances

The best viewer/editor we've seen is TlkEdit. It handles tlk/2da/itp files. In 2DA's you can see the column headers no matter how far you go down in the lines.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/tlkedit2-2datlkgfferf-editor

Eg. in appearance.2da and placeables.2da the new entries start at line 15000.
        dunahan
      6. grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
        When will this new update hit the Client?
        dunahan
      7. TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
        As predicted in the patch notes this (at least for me) brightens underground areas way too much. I've had to significantly increase the gamma to 3.3 in order to match (as best I can) pre-patch gloom.

TR
        dunahan
      8. VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
        edited August 2020
        grom56 wrote: »
        When will this new update hit the Client?
        Soon I hope...

dunahan
      9. Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152

Eg. in appearance.2da and placeables.2da the new entries start at line 15000.

Yes, this is the type of thing I was looking for, except for all the affected 2da's. I have the viewer/editor, but when there are hundreds or thousands of entries in each 2da, it's helpful to know where the new ones start and end so as to avoid conflicts.
        dunahan
      10. Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
        edited August 2020
        @JuliusBorisov Two things I noticed right away while playing through the Prelude:

1. There is a graphics hiccup causing fps to drop to 0 for a brief moment.
        2. That goddamn attack bonus miscalculation bug is still in my single-player game. It is Chinese water torture to my eyes. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

I'm done testing. Back to WoW I go. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
        Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
        dunahan
      11. TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
        edited August 2020
        Just in case the devs don't visit the vault forums, here is what I wrote over there a couple of days ago -
        As an experiment I have played my module “A is for Adventure 0” on both the current Retail and the new dev build. A good proportion of this adventure is set underground and, as intimated in the patch notes, I found that without adjusting the gamma it is way too bright. Setting it to 3.3 restored the gloom to about what it should be. That is quite a bit of change needed to restore the darkness to what it should be.

So what other differences did I notice. Quite a few things seem to be subtle. While I didn’t see any difference in the various bits of water shadows seemed to work very slightly better. Also my impression is that torch flames seem ever so slightly better animated (as long as its not wishful thinking on my part). I did notice that in certain circumstances that point light-sources (like lamps in a pit) seemed to cast a more localised light (sorry I can’t be more precise).

As far as armour goes I can’t really report as this is an adventure for a beginning level adventurer so the only really armour is leather/studded leather. After zooming right in, I think that the small amount of metal on the shoulder does exhibit a difference but I’m not quite sure what.

Actually, apart from the gamma, the biggest difference I noticed was on the large crystals in the starting area. These were definitely shinier but at the cost of the subtle details of the texture observable in the retail version.

FWIW I chose this module for a few reasons. Primarily because it is mine so I have a good idea of how it should look. That meant I could check that nothing had been broken which (gamma notwithstanding) I can happily report that nothing was. Also because it is short which lends itself to side by side testing of the retail vs the dev versions.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I did see in the patch notes that there are quite a few things that have changed as far as the toolset is concerned too. Anyone tried it since the patch? If so, anything to report?

and
        Having gone through my main glowing models so that they all still show colour instead of glaring white I have noticed something. Compared to Diamond/1.69/Retail EE the amount of glow varies more in this dev build. Some of my arcane circles (the thin blue ones in particular) are so dim as to be nearly invisible in darkness. Whereas some of my arcane runes really stand out. Also some of the floor runes are not as visible compared to the same runes in their wall versions. Odd.

TR
        dunahan
      12. TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
        edited August 2020
        For those wanting 2da information there is a way to get it yourself but there are drawbacks. One of those drawbacks is that it will reveal all the updates that BD has made to each 2da file you wish information on. Also you will need to do it on a one 2da at a time basis.

Basically it involves comparing two 2da files. First you need to download the bioware_2da.7z file from the NwN1 Standard Assets project on the vault and extract the 2da files to a folder of your choice. Next you will need to extract the EE 2da files you're interested in from the game files and place them in a different folder. Finally, you use a comparison program such as WinMerge. This will quickly find what differences there are between two versions of the same 2da file.

TR
      13. ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
        ...Next you will need to extract the EE 2da files you're interested in from the game files and place them in a different folder...
        TR
        The development branch comes with an extract named 2da.zip, in the root folder of the game files.

This is very useful - extracting the development branch with NWNExplorer is tedious because it doesn't have its own nwn_base.key.

TarotRedhand
      14. prwoprwo Member Posts: 69
        edited August 2020
        I've upgraded to the new development branch 8193.14 (v80.8193.14 [0caab8c0]) and really like the new SetScriptParam and GetScriptParam functions.

However, they only allow to pass parameters into a script.

Is there a way to pass a return value to the calling Script too? E.g. SetScriptReturnValue, GetScriptReturnValue?

Also: Will there be a way to similarily pass parameters to whole dialogs (SetDialogParam, GetDialogParam)?
        I've added this as a suggestion to the forum
        Post edited by prwo on
      15. TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
        @Proleric Something similar applied to 1.69 IIRC. [initiating cheekiness mode] If that zip file is in the root folder of the game files is it not a game file and do you not have to extract the individual 2da files... B) [end cheekiness mode]

TR
      16. ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
        @Proleric Something similar applied to 1.69 IIRC. [initiating cheekiness mode] If that zip file is in the root folder of the game files is it not a game file and do you not have to extract the individual 2da files... B) [end cheekiness mode]

TR

LOL by "game files" I mean the folder the game is installed in, as opposed to Documents. I get what you're saying but it's not in the .bif files, just freestanding. What would be the correct term? Game folder?
      17. DazDaz Member Posts: 125
        Game Install Folder :D
      18. Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
        Placeable objects > Parks and Nature > Stone - brown, green, red, etc. These all appear snow white in game and not the colored stones they should be.
      19. TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
        @Drewbert_ahoy that is normally a symptom of missing textures for those items that exhibit it. Alternatively, it could be that a certain parameter (that I have had to edit in a few of my projects too) in the models is incorrectly set. In either case you should submit a ticket to the current bug tracker.

TR