Skip to content

Wilson Chronicles - expansion of the furry paragon

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A technical issue I've noted: the mod introduces some garbage into the kitlist.2da file. A three-row excerpt of mine just after installation:
    38 LATHANDER_X 25197 25170 25223 CLABPR04 49 0x04000000 3 0x00004015
    39 GRIZZLY_BEAR 16119 16119 86479 CLABBEAR 60 0x00004000 2 0x00004027 0x00004027
    40 OHTYR 103137 93785 93786 OHTYR 61 0x00004000 3 0x00004028
    I'm not sure what that extra 0x00004027 does, but it can't be good. In particular, I wouldn't trust kits coming after it to work entirely right (Priests of Tyr and Tempus by default).

I've edited that out in my copy, manually.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    edited March 2020
    This was modified by agb when he was helping me. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some reason for this, actually. He modified the kit a bit so Wilson could for example use some few more items like some trinkets or amulets, IIRC. Also, I think that was udated like few years ago, so I don't think there are any major problems that extra element is causing. I guess we would know it by now.

@AionZ - maybe you know what that is?
    I ran a search ... apparently, this originated as a fix for a missing entry in BG2EE version 2.0, and was made obsolete with version 2.5. The mod, on the other hand, hasn't been updated to correct the issue. There was only ever intended to be one copy of that field in the line, but the code that originally increased zero to one now increases one to two.

The doubled entry does cause trouble for mods that add kits. Some of them are aware enough to work around it, but it would be better to fix things at the source.
    The problem I see is keeping the fix for versions before 2.5 but making the tp2 skip it in v2.5 and greater (as I hope those will eventually become real). Is there any file that was introduced in v2.5 but wasn't there before? Then a check for that file would help. If anyone know about such thing and/or can provide a tp2 replace for existing kitlist.2da element, I would be greateful. Kits and anything around them isn't something I am good with. Also, I can barely mod lately because of some other matters I need to deal with first. There's a lot on my plate right now, huh.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Heh, used this one again. I love the dialogue especially. And those Rhino Beetle Gauntlets let me get over 100 physical resistance on my Dwarven Defender, which is very nice for the final battle in Ascension.

Yes the final boss' mind is blown when they see a grizzly bear casting BEAROMANCY to surround them with VICIOUS MOUNTAIN BEARS. I love this game.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @LavaDelVortel Any chance of fixing the kitlist issue? It definitely blocks some mod kits from installing.
    I am no expert when it comes to kits, this element was introduced by a modder that's no longer here. Just to make sure, I will need to consult someone. I don't want to make some stupid mistake and make it even worse. Will ask for help, but keep in mind that may need a moment as it depends on other modder's time.
    Right, modding is a free time thing. Don't worry, I won't send grumpy middle manageament after you ;)
    @AionZ sent me updated tp2 so that one is fixed. Also moved EET block to the end of the file so it installed properly on EET. So it all should be fixed now.

Cheers
    Wow, that was fast. I'll be sure to test it as soon as I reach BG2. Thanks @LavaDelVortel and @AionZ
    Mods working so far, several hours past recruiting Wilson. Its great to be able to use this mod again.
    So I dabbled with Wilson on my current run, running his quests but not keeping him full-time. This led to a nasty little bug: a repeatable crash in the ToB portion. Enter the area where his quest triggers with him in the party, game "unexpectedly" quits. Three times.

I got it to work on the fourth try, by reverting my party to humanoid form (the druids usually run around shapeshifted). Apparently, triggering that cutscene with any shapeshifted party members crashes the game.

(Game version 2.5.16.6 on a Mac. Mod version 1.4.2. I also have SCS and am using the component that turns druid shapeshifts into items with animation change effects when equipped.)

On a gameplay note ... shouldn't the BPD be immune to its own breath weapon? Every other dragon in the game is, and the breath weapon will hit the dragon if used against a target in melee range.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Alright! When's the Wilson romance coming out? I've been waiting for this moment for all my life.
    Alright! When's the Wilson romance coming out? I've been waiting for this moment for all my life.
    Probably right after that Boo romance no one is working on.
    jmerry wrote: »
    So I dabbled with Wilson on my current run, running his quests but not keeping him full-time. This led to a nasty little bug: a repeatable crash in the ToB portion. Enter the area where his quest triggers with him in the party, game "unexpectedly" quits. Three times.

I got it to work on the fourth try, by reverting my party to humanoid form (the druids usually run around shapeshifted). Apparently, triggering that cutscene with any shapeshifted party members crashes the game.

(Game version 2.5.16.6 on a Mac. Mod version 1.4.2. I also have SCS and am using the component that turns druid shapeshifts into items with animation change effects when equipped.)

On a gameplay note ... shouldn't the BPD be immune to its own breath weapon? Every other dragon in the game is, and the breath weapon will hit the dragon if used against a target in melee range.

Wow, that's... very specific. I believe that's not urgent because many factors must be present in the game, but I will observe that. Thank you! :)
    "Probably right after that Boo romance no one is working on."

A-ha, hahah, yeah...
    ThacoBell wrote: »

A-ha, hahah, yeah...

Wait you're working on one, too?
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

A-ha, hahah, yeah...

I hate writing too much to even do that as a joke :D
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 453

A-ha, hahah, yeah...

I hate writing too much to even do that as a joke :D

You know, I strongly considered it... but I'm done with writing Main Character romances with NPC's. However, that idea eventually turned into a Neera-Minsc-Boo love triangle. It's coded and posted and everything.

Anyways thanks Lava for this mod. Thanks ThacoBell for insisting on Wilson-Clara banters thus making me look up Wilson (I only vaguely knew he existed and had never used him).

Normally I keep my game mod-free (except for our mod and PPE) and Ratatoskr is the one whose game has every mod installed, but I'm going to make an exception here. The idea of Wilson as an NPC is crazy, and a mod expanding him is even crazier, so I think this is right up my ally.
    edited August 2020
    @BCaesar - enjoy! As for Clara-Wilson banters - each my mod that adds banters now has this fix that checks if there is a banter file for Wilson and if no, one is created. And if such file exists (as some mod that adds it was installed) then the talks are added to the existing banter file.

To make it a bit more clear, an example from Will of the Wisp mod (it's always the same anyway, so..):
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ////WILSON DOESN'T HAVE HIS BANTER FILE - THAT MAKES HIM SAD! LET'S CHANGE THAT///
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~wilson.dlg~ THEN BEGIN
     PRINT ~Wilson detected - Wilson interdia.2da append - set Wilsons's banter file (BWILSON & BWILSO25)~
        APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~WILSON BWILSON BWILSO25~
        UNLESS ~WILSON~
       ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BWILSON.dlg~) THEN BEGIN
       COMPILE ~willowisp/d/BWILSONFix.d~
      END
       ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BWILSO25.dlg~) THEN BEGIN
       COMPILE ~willowisp/d/BWILSO25Fix.d~
      END
    END

So the short code makes sure append is there and if BWILSON.dlg and BWILSO25.dlg do not exist, they are created (BWILSONFix.d and BWILSO25Fix.d only create blank files, ready to be updated later in tp2). Thanks to that trick I make sure the banters work properly and I do not override stuff blindly as that could cause major incompatibilities. Feel free to use that code in your mod!
    @BCaesar - enjoy! As for Clara-Wilson banters - each my mod that adds banters now has this fix that checks if there is a banter file for Wilson and if no, one is created. And if such file exists (as some mod that adds it was installed) then the talks are added to the existing banter file.

To make it a bit more clear, an example from Will of the Wisp mod (it's always the same anyway, so..):
    ////WILSON DOESN'T HAVE HIS BANTER FILE - THAT MAKES HIM SAD! LET'S CHANGE THAT///

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~wilson.dlg~ THEN BEGIN
     PRINT ~Wilson detected - Wilson interdia.2da append - set Wilsons's banter file (BWILSON & BWILSO25)~
        APPEND ~interdia.2da~ ~WILSON BWILSON BWILSO25~
        UNLESS ~WILSON~
       ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BWILSON.dlg~) THEN BEGIN
       COMPILE ~willowisp/d/BWILSONFix.d~
      END
       ACTION_IF NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BWILSO25.dlg~) THEN BEGIN
       COMPILE ~willowisp/d/BWILSO25Fix.d~
      END
    END

So the short code makes sure append is there and if BWILSON.dlg and BWILSO25.dlg do not exist, they are created (BWILSONFix.d and BWILSO25Fix.d only create blank files, ready to be updated later in tp2). Thanks to that trick I make sure the banters work properly and I do not override stuff blindly as that could cause major incompatibilities. Feel free to use that code in your mod!

Thanks! Will do. Anything to help compatibility.
    @LavaDelVortel

Typo report. English version. Nalia and Wilson's banter where he asks her if she knows magic that can protect him from fleas and thics/thicks.

Unless it's spelled differently outside of the USA those little bugs are spelled "ticks".
    Thanks! Will take a look next time I'm updating the mod.

Another typo: Wilson's Throne of Bhaal banter with Mazzy where he compares his paws to her feet. She says, "As long as you understand follow that rule, we're fine, yes. I actually like you, that's why I knew you would understand, Wilson."

You could delete the first 'understand' or delete the 'follow' but 'As long as you understand follow that rule' reads weird.

Thanks for the mod!
    Wilson's the best! ;)
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Blackbird
    Do you mean "beast?"
    edited April 2021
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Blackbird
    Do you mean "beast?"
    Wilson is a distinguished animal, he is no beast.
    Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270

The mod formerly known as All Things Mazzy will soon include a Wilson-Jaheira romance.
    edited June 2021

Hi Lava,
    I found two typos in Minsc-Wilson's ToB banter:
    Minsc says, "Look, Boo! It's our bear paragon and you're brother-in-fur! Minsc once told you, Wilson, that you remind me of Okku! You've became great at butt-kicking and Minsc thinks Okku would be proud to fight on the same side as you, Wilson!"

It should be "your brother-in-fur" not "you're".

A couple of lines later Minsc says, "Of course Minsc thinks that's possible! Come to Rashemen and talk to Okku! You two may even become like spiritual brothers and fight evil beings other failed to stop!"

It should be "others failed to stop". Needs an "s".

Thanks for the mod!
    Thank you! :)
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I'm not even going to get into the ridiculousness that is getting Wilson to start with, and how easy it is to screw that up, but now that I have him, I'm impressed.

The party has been switching between Neera and Rasaad, and I'm fairly certain Wilson is more useful than either of them!