Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2020
    Journal of Constant
    Everything was so easy until I reached Davaeorn.

j7av96u8fzez.jpg

He wasn't the problem. I am an Inquisitor after all. It was the battle horrors who weren't getting hurt at all. I was! I therefore fled outside and rested before returning. Upon my return I went past the horrors using invisibility and then attacked Davaeorn. The spells that Davaeorn used actually hurt the horrors more than I had. However they were still hurting me badly when Davaeorn fell.

I didn't bother with looting.

I just fled and killed the horrors etc by7 flooding the mine.

e8bmgl2xq0a6.jpg

Upon reaching baldur's Gate I regretted choosing to fight Larze. He was hurting me more than I was hurting him, so I fled to another area. I didn't rest as I suspected that Larze would recuperate too, I therefore used up a stack of potions. (In retrospect a temple might have been better) A second visit killed him.

Marek was unable to cast confusion as I used a poison arrow.
    [I don't like using tactics that I wouldn't normally use, but I know how dangerous that confusion spell is, partcularly for a paladin who could so easily fall]
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Keep it going @Joniren :). You can kill the sirines safely even unbuffed by using arrows of detonation. Even prior to that you can get constitution regeneration by buying Buckley's Buckler at the FAI.

There are scrolls of PfP at the Iron Throne and the top floor of Candlekeep, so you've got the chance to kill those basilisks without relying on horror even if you've used PFP scrolls to kill basilisks elsewhere.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I've thought about doing an "Infinity run," a saga run of all the Infinity Engine games (except for PST) in chronological order, both vanilla and EE:

BG1
    TotSC
    IWD1
    BG2
    HoW
    TotLM
    ToB
    IWD2
    BGEE
    BG2EE
    IWDEE
    SoD
    IWD2EE

The deal would be that I'd have to beat all of the games with the same party: same race, class, and stats for each character; nothing else transfers unless it normally does (like BG2:EE going right into ToB). Thus, no kits and no sorcerers or monks due to BG1 not having them.

The main sticking point is IWD2. Non-caster classes are generally garbage pre-EE, but a single-classed druid and cleric don't add very much to a BG saga run, mages are weak in the IWD games, sorcerers aren't allowed, and small parties suffer terribly in vanilla IWD2 due to the level problem. Plus, immunities are hard to come by in vanilla IWD2, and IWD2 has critical failures for saving throw rolls (there's always a 5% chance of failure). BG1 stat rolls would be great in IWD2, though, which otherwise basically just has a 76 point buy system for character creation.

Sounds interesting @semiticgod. I've got a few questions about your intentions though.
    - were you envisaging playing the original BG (without TotSC) and then importing characters into TotSC. Alternatively were you just not going to level up beyond 89k in BG1 and avoid the TotSC areas until after defeating Sarevok and reloading the final save? Similarly, what about SoA - are you expecting to use the original SoA rules there or ToB ones? My inclination would be to play the revised game in both cases - otherwise it would create difficulties with BGEE and BG2EE, which don't work in quite the same way.
    - is all content optional, are specific targets required, or do you have to do everything (if progress is optional that would mean for instance that you could skip TotSC entirely)?
    - your outline suggests that you were not expecting to use any mods (beyond the basic game itself, as IWD2EE and TotLM could be described as mods) - is that right?
    - should starting proficiencies and spells be consistent from game to game, even if not exactly the same (so bow in vanilla BG1 would translate into either long bow or short bow, but not cross bow).
    edited August 2020
    Death of Constant: Stunned near the exit from Candlekeep. (One of Prat's cohorts) :'(
    The worst part is that sinc she was already at the level cap, she could have just gone through invisible.
    Then there was just the Ducal Palace and Final Battle and I would have beaten EE solo for the first time.
    [I don't usually play solo]
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0 I'm not sure about all of the details. I don't know if I want to do all of the expansions because it's hard to define what counts as a side quest. Tales of the Sword Coast seems like all side quests, but Heart of Winter doesn't, just because HoW and/or TotLM is canonical per the events of IWD2 and they have formal endings, even though TotSC and HoW and TotLM are all expansions, as is ToB. I might make TotSC optional since completing those quests doesn't end the game and send you to the menu or a separate game.

It would be a pain to try to play pre-ToB Shadows of Amn since I'd have to get a version without the ToB patch, so I think I'll just go with vanilla BG2-with-ToB.

I'd go with the unmodded game, unlike my previous runs, which are all SCS.

I won't be worrying about making proficiencies or spells apply across games, largely because IWD2 uses a completely different weapon proficiency system.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited August 2020
    Just stopped by to check in on the community's progress! I just added @Corey_Russell's Jeanluc the paladin, @Mantis37's Adorar the druid, and @Flashburn's Blaggard and the Blackguard to the Hall of Heroes. Congratulations, and well done!

Corey_Russell and Mantis37, I'm missing a starting post for your two runs, so if you give me a link, I'll add it to the entries.

Cheers, my run started here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1116514#Comment_1116514

Good luck if you try the run, I’m sure you’d find a way to succeed with your skills. If I were to try it I think I might consider using either Gorion or Alianna, so a wizard or some sort or a Priestess of Bhaal. I look forward to trying IWD2EE sometime thanks to your and the rest of the team’s efforts, never got round to playing that one.
    edited August 2020
    Journal of Sir Grimm, Inquisitor
    9wktohlkjska.jpg
    tglvgxiyc8h0.jpg
    By stealing, scrounging aand getting paid a pittance for jobs, I eventually was reasonably well equipped when I set of from Candlekeep. I am there again now, but the guard will not permit entrance to my own home! :(
    7ghrynne5pie.jpg

I did feel a bit guilty about the stealing despite paying the appropriate fines. However, I'll make up for my poor behaviour in due season.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Joniren wrote: »
    Onto SoD. Now here is a thing. I have NEVER played SoD. This will be a blind solo no-reload. Do you have any tips? XD

There are a number of situations in the game where lack of knowledge can easily kill you. As a general tip I would suggest remembering potions of invisibility to help get out of some tricky spots - there are lots of those available for sale.
  • JonirenJoniren Member Posts: 22
    9wktohlkjska.jpg
    tglvgxiyc8h0.jpg
    By stealing, scrounging aand getting paid a pittance for jobs, I eventually was reasonably well equipped when I set of from Candlekeep. I am there again now, but the guard will not permit entrance to my own home! :(
    7ghrynne5pie.jpg

I did feel a bit guilty about the stealing despite paying the appropriate fines. However, I'll make up for my poor behaviour in due season.

Interesting take on the prologue. Any particular reason you spend so much time there?
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Just stopped by to check in on the community's progress! I just added @Corey_Russell's Jeanluc the paladin, @Mantis37's Adorar the druid, and @Flashburn's Blaggard and the Blackguard to the Hall of Heroes. Congratulations, and well done!

Corey_Russell and Mantis37, I'm missing a starting post for your two runs, so if you give me a link, I'll add it to the entries.

Where is the link for Hall of Heroes? Is Gawain or Dispenser in there (my only two successes). :p
  • DracoqwertyDracoqwerty Member Posts: 36
    Kensai / Thief Saint Thief (update 1)

Onto SoD. Now here is a thing. I have NEVER played SoD. This will be a blind solo no-reload. Do you have any tips? XD
    Possible spoilers below.
    My main tips for SOD for a non-mage party member are save all the Oils of Fiery Burning, Potions of Explosions, and potions of Freedom that you can; there are quite a few fights that solo it is very easy to get stunned and killed and also SOD really loves throwing hordes at you and as a solo character that can get somewhat unmanageable. Grond0's tip about invisibility potions is very applicable as well. There are two possible liches in SOD, one is made mostly irrelevant through a quest item but the other is VERY hard for a party without a mage and you might as well skip him completely in a no reload. Buy restoration scrolls when they're available, there are a ton of creatures in the starting dungeon that level drain, quite a few level draining traps, and multiple stronger creatures that level drain. There's a dragon in SOD, I'd advise not waking it as a solo character or just running past it; the reward for a Kensai is pretty much useless but if you want to fight it make sure you have remove fear somehow (not sure if that's possible solo Kensai) as well as protection from Poison. Final boss requires +3 weapons on Core and higher difficulties, so keep that in mind. Also, it may be a good idea not to overbuff for the final fight because the boss's lackey will immediately use Remove Magic if he doesn't die (which he will if you keep your solo at the end of SOD). There's a very hard fight for a solo character with a FMC who uses sanctuary; you can counter that with potions of explosion/oil of FB, make sure to do this or she will full heal herself twice iirc. Watch out for a very spooky room, and prepare for a tough fight there.
  • JonirenJoniren Member Posts: 22
    Kensai / Thief Saint Thief (update 1)

Possible spoilers below.
    My main tips for SOD for a non-mage party member are save all the Oils of Fiery Burning, Potions of Explosions, and potions of Freedom that you can; there are quite a few fights that solo it is very easy to get stunned and killed and also SOD really loves throwing hordes at you and as a solo character that can get somewhat unmanageable. Grond0's tip about invisibility potions is very applicable as well. There are two possible liches in SOD, one is made mostly irrelevant through a quest item but the other is VERY hard for a party without a mage and you might as well skip him completely in a no reload. Buy restoration scrolls when they're available, there are a ton of creatures in the starting dungeon that level drain, quite a few level draining traps, and multiple stronger creatures that level drain. There's a dragon in SOD, I'd advise not waking it as a solo character or just running past it; the reward for a Kensai is pretty much useless but if you want to fight it make sure you have remove fear somehow (not sure if that's possible solo Kensai) as well as protection from Poison. Final boss requires +3 weapons on Core and higher difficulties, so keep that in mind. Also, it may be a good idea not to overbuff for the final fight because the boss's lackey will immediately use Remove Magic if he doesn't die (which he will if you keep your solo at the end of SOD). There's a very hard fight for a solo character with a FMC who uses sanctuary; you can counter that with potions of explosion/oil of FB, make sure to do this or she will full heal herself twice iirc. Watch out for a very spooky room, and prepare for a tough fight there.

Thanks! I will keep in mind not to bring upon myself any unnecessary anger.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Where is the link for Hall of Heroes? Is Gawain or Dispenser in there (my only two successes). :p
    It's the first post of this thread, in a spoiler because it's gotten so long.

Interesting take on the prologue. Any particular reason you spend so much time there?

I like to role play. On this occasion he got very little starting gold, but that isn't the real reason. I find that I get more immersed in the game if I can actually get inside the character's thoughts. I could just play to get the optimal results, ie powergaming, but I wouldn't enjoy that.

I could with that character have just exported him and reimported him hoping to, and probably getting more gold. That isn't my style. Winning isn't my reason for playing, fun is.
  • CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855

That isn't my style. Winning isn't my reason for playing, fun is.

Ditto
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998

@semiticgod - I didn't actually put in a starting post, as I had a lot of failures so thought I'd post after I made some progress. I am pretty sure this one is my first BG 1 post: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/989168/#Comment_989168
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A technical issue - you've got the same vampire-kill picture repeated three times. Once in the middle of the WeiDU log, once in place of the cambion kill, and once where it should be. I know Armok is proud of that hit, but some editing is in order.
  • DracoqwertyDracoqwerty Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2020
    jmerry wrote: »
    A technical issue - you've got the same vampire-kill picture repeated three times. Once in the middle of the WeiDU log, once in place of the cambion kill, and once where it should be. I know Armok is proud of that hit, but some editing is in order.

That should be fixed, whoops. I should have previewed the post before posting it.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Without wearing the Claw though, his HPs already look much more respectable.
    Ah you mean the claw that should be in your inventory unless it disappeared when I passed it to you - we didn't have the Helm of Balduran to transfer this time and the claw was there